• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A jillion trips to WDW but first time to DL CA...am I going to be disappointed?

k5thbeatle

DIS Veteran
First trip ever to Disneyland CA coming up. We've been to WDW more times than I can recall. I mentioned this to a colleague in passing and he warned "you're going to be mightily disappointed"???

I don't think we will be but of course it made me think this would be a good question to ask here. Have any of you fellow frequent WDW travelers been disappointed by your first trip to Disneyland CA?

We also grew up with WDW and we did our first DL trip in 2015. I psyched myself so much that it would be small, crowded, that the castle would be teeny tiny.... others also told me I'd be disappointed. Here are my observations as a huge WDW fan:

- loved loved loved that I could walk from hotel to both parks, DTD, etc. this made our trip super relaxing

- we were total ride junkies on our DL trip, because we could be. Want to ride BTMRR 3 times a day- done!! I'd say that every day we rode the following: BTMRR, Space, Splash, Radiator Springs Racers (so fun and we aren't huge Cars fans!), Soarin, and lots more. The rides are so much more compact at DL, that everything is more accessible. Park hopping is super easy and we did it every day

- DL does not have the variety of food choices that WDW has, but overall, we thought the food was better. It does not have as many character meals, but the Plaza Is a great choice and we had tons of characters there- pool, tigger, rafiki, hook, Minnie, Peter Pan and others (Cinderella mice). Recommend a late breakfast here

- DL is Walt's park and that was pretty cool. Just knowing it's what he built...

- not having to book meals 180 days in advance and FP's 60 days in advance- our trip was just more chill! I just kept thinking "I am having so much fun!!!!

- DL has a lot more young adult attendees and we enjoyed seeing them have fun in the parks. Like their normal Friday night.

- we had so much fun at DL, we went back the following year. Is it smaller? Yes, but it has nearly all of our favorite rides and it has a magical feel. Like anything in life, it's what you make of it!!!

My sister took my advice and went to DL last year. Her response- wow, it's so easy!!! Her next Disney vaca?? It will be in Disneyland!

First trip ever to Disneyland CA coming up. We've been to WDW more times than I can recall. I mentioned this to a colleague in passing and he warned "you're going to be mightily disappointed"???

I don't think we will be but of course it made me think this would be a good question to ask here. Have any of you fellow frequent WDW travelers been disappointed by your first trip to Disneyland CA?
Usually by people who that have never been to DLR. Yes really. Or if they have, it was 30 years ago. So they are comparing DL of 30 years ago to WDW today. Yes really.

The formula for disappointment in your case is to expect DLR to be just like WDW. When it is not, you are disappointed. Which begs the obvious question, "Why did you go to DLR in the first place?". The answer is usually "Because we wanted to do something different than WDW". So you went to DLR because you wanted something different and then were disappointed when it was different? Really?

OK, with that out of the way, DLR is absolutely dripping with Disney magic. It is of course smaller than WDW. That has pros and cons. We could go through a long list but basically, DLR's smaller size means you do not feel like you are in a "Disney bubble" that many WDW vets enjoy. On the other hand, you will spend less time getting places at DLR. Which means you have more time for the fun stuff.

DLR has some awesome shows. Better than WDW. The DLR Fantasmic is better (and coming back soon after a construction hiatus). The current DL fireworks show is better than MK' Wishes. And IMO World of Color is the best Disney show ever.

DLR has almost as many rides in its two parks than WDW's four parks put together. See "Ride Count Comparison Between DLR and WDW" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3221332

WDW has more dining options than DLR, but DLR has been catching up in this area in recent years.

And the weather at DLR is generally better than at WDW.

Also, before a WDW vet starts thinking that DLR has rides in the "wrong" places (like BTMRR and Splash Mountain are not next to each other at DL as they are at MK - DL Haunted Mansion is kind of where MK BTMRR is, and vice versa) step back and realize that BTMRR, Splash Mtn and HM were built first at DL then later at MK. So if anyone has the rides in the "wrong" places, it is MK! :)

Here is some advice for the WDW vet visiting DLR:

1. Embrace the differences
2. Give yourself at least 4 days at DLR if you can
3. Stay at a walking distance hotel if you can - if not make sure the hotel has a reliable dedicated shuttle - see "HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
4. Be careful about off-season visits - see "What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

:wizard:

Last edited:

Oh yes, I totally forgot to mention the beautiful weather!!!! Man- I'm going to WDW this year, but this thread makes me want Disneyland!!! This might sound corny, but if you fall in love with it, buy some Disneyland themed souvenirs. I have some- a fleece throw, a beach towel- and they just make me so happy because they remind me how much I loved it!!!

Pirates of the Carribean is amazing at Disneyland. Don't skip. Also, we loved space mountain at DL and aren't big fans of it st WDW.

It's Walt's park and it's nice to be able to see things he has actually touched and had personal involvement in. It's too bad you can't take the tour inside his apartment anymore but my tradition for every trip is stop by the firehouse and say goodbye to him on my way out.

Heck no you won't be disappointed! I was disappointed the one and only time I visited WDW a few years ago - too big, too spread out, rides were dirty, rides in the "wrong" spot, too much time spent finding parking and then riding a tram in.. there's no comparison for me. If I never go back to WDW, it will be too soon :D

I have also been to WDW more times than I can count, an went to DLR for the first time last summer! We are going again this summer because we had such a great time! The only thing that I think could be disappointing if you haven't done your research (which it looks like your doing) is how close the "real world" is to the parks, but that ended up being my Mom's favorite part.

Disappointment is all in the mind of the beholder! If you go in expecting to be disappointed, you will be, guaranteed. That bias will affect everything you see and do. But if you go in with an open mind, willing to experience the magic as it happens and wherever it happens, willing to embrace the differences and to cherish Walt's dream (and all the things that made WDW and all the other Disney parks possible), then you're going to have a great trip.

I honestly think DCA is a much cooler/better themed park than both Epcot and HS.

A major difference (to me) is that the drinking scene is a LOT more low key at the CA parks. I was seriously taken aback by how many places in the parks served booze in Florida. I could be wrong, the the only place in that I can think of at DL is Carthay Circle and even that is only wine.

Nothing like the resort hopping or entertainment on WDW property. But you don't need it. Easy to day trip to into LA.

I do love fort wilderness. That is the chief reason I'd pick WDW over DL.

BOG is really cool- cooler than the Bayou. But DL really does not have the space for something like BOG. Literally, no space is wasted. Lots of clever tricks to hide the fact it's essentially a suburban park and it's a tiny place in comparison to MK. MK is not nearly as well designed- it's got weird wasted space.

Another chief difference is that DD is not like DS. A lot of this is due to the fact this is a locals park. If they wanted to go to a high end shopping center, they'd go to Santa Monica or one of the many, many malls. Again, less space.

But the climate is nicer, LA beats out Orlando any day, you don't get the obmoxious chanting tour groups. You get local teens making out on Friday night instead, but oh well.

I suspect your colleague is not basing his/her opinion on experience. You won't be disappointed in Disneyland, you may however develop a disappointment in WDW. The food is so much better in Disneyland, security is more efficient, the parks are close together, you can walk to and from your hotel most likely. --I was just at WDW for Spring break 3/28-4/4. Oh and Disneyland has Indiana Jones, a better pirates, and a better Space Mountain. DCA has Carsland!!!!

We also consider ourselves wdw veterans and did our DL trip in 2/2015. I went in with zero expectations since I heard from many that i would be disappointed. I read the thread on wdw vets guide to dl which I found super helpful. We went for 3 days and had an amazing time. I was shocked that my husband said he liked it more than wdw . His reasoning was simple. You can walk to the parks, walk between the parks, it has historical fast pass and it has all of the rides we love condensed into a walkable area. I loved it for the history. At some point in the 90s when my mom, sister and i were at wdw my mom bought a biography on Walt. I read it before we went to dl so i had appreciation for it that many others dont. I love walking the footsteps of Walt. I always thought my son's first trip to Disney would be to DL because of the ease of getting around and smaller area to cover. Well, I was wrong. I'm writing this from my room at CSR. I ended up here for a conference and my husband and son arrive tomorrow for his first Disney trip. We are so excited!

I think WDW and DL have a different feel to them. I'm a DL vet and am going to WDW for my 2nd time this May so, I've only been once for a 10 day trip. My observations are that DL style is more interactive and a more constantly busy and interacting than WDW. For example at WDW everything is so spread apart that you go to an attraction walk a ways and then go to another attraction which is more of a casual stroll type of touring style. At DL you go to an attraction and as soon as you finish that attraction something else catches your eye and you interact with that attraction or shop or experience. You keep moving like this constantly. You can tour more casually but your so excited with what has just caught your eye that you just can't stop yourself from moving from one thing to the next. I prefer this type of interaction opposed to the more casual style in WDW. I do prefer the TS restaurants in WDW to the DL restaurants just because there are so many more options and different types of experiences. There will be things you like more and less. You will definitely love the weather better because it's at least predictable and not nearly as hot. Also it's really nice to be so close to everything like DTD, the hotels and the capability of park hopping without having to travel an hour on a bus to get from point a to point b.

Here is some advice for the WDW vet visiting DLR:

1. Embrace the differences
2. Give yourself at least 4 days at DLR if you can
3. Stay at a walking distance hotel if you can - if not make sure the hotel has a reliable dedicated shuttle - see "HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
4. Be careful about off-season visits - see "What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

Check, check, check, darn. Got caught out by point number 4. Booked two days which are grad nights. but we're there for 5 days so shouldn't be a problem.

All good points above. thanks

I love WDW but DL is just as special! I love how we are not totally wiped out at the the end of the day at DL. We can go all day even with the kids. The parks are literally right next door to eachother along with DTD, so park hopping is a breeze. DL is just enchanting, we love Pirates, Indiana Jones, Space Mountain and all the rides in Fantasyland better at DL. California Adventure is beautiful too. Carsland is our favorite area and everything on Paradise Pier is so fun! WOC even beats out Illuminations for us! We don't stay on property in CA but feel just as immersed in Disney magic as we do staying onsite in WDW. Any Disney day is an awesome day!!

You will be disappointed, ONLY if you want to be.

There is less total to do. But what there is to do is much more concentrated, so less travel time.

But the walkways at DL are so narrow and congested. But you don't have to wait an hour for a bus between parks.

But you aren't inside the bubble. But I can walk across the street to a much cheaper hotel.

I've done both (grew up going to the original at least 1-2 times a year) and would choose DLR over WDW any day of the year. I've convinced a co-worker, who has only ever gone to WDW to try the DLR on his next trip with the family. I can't wait to hear him tell me how right I am!

Nope. You are going to be dazzled and charmed. It's the original. It's where you can really feel the magic. Soak it up and have a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter