A jillion trips to WDW but first time to DL CA...am I going to be disappointed?

I honestly think DCA is a much cooler/better themed park than both Epcot and HS.

A major difference (to me) is that the drinking scene is a LOT more low key at the CA parks. I was seriously taken aback by how many places in the parks served booze in Florida. I could be wrong, the the only place in that I can think of at DL is Carthay Circle and even that is only wine.

Nothing like the resort hopping or entertainment on WDW property. But you don't need it. Easy to day trip to into LA.

Alcohol is not served in DL (with the exception of club 33) itself, but it is served at multiple places in DCA. Carthay Circle, Wine Country Trattoria, the cozy cone motel, there's a Karl Strauss (i think) beer stand in the food court area, there's also a margarita stand in the food court area, and many of the other stands around the park serve beer and wine. I do recommend the vodka pomegranate limeade at the cozy cone motel (the one that serves the conequeso), it is especially refreshing on a warm day.

Alcohol is not served in DL (with the exception of club 33) itself, but it is served at multiple places in DCA. Carthay Circle, Wine Country Trattoria, the cozy cone motel, there's a Karl Strauss (i think) beer stand in the food court area, there's also a margarita stand in the food court area, and many of the other stands around the park serve beer and wine. I do recommend the vodka pomegranate limeade at the cozy cone motel (the one that serves the conequeso), it is especially refreshing on a warm day.

I hadn't no idea about the limeade! Yum!! Doing that next time.

I had a feeling that there were more places serving alcohol. But I actually mean that it from a a cultural perspective. I saw a lot of drunk adults at Epcot, and I just had never seen that at the CA parks.

If you're visiting just so you can see new parks, then no, you won't be disappointed. Just to visit Cars Land and Bug's Land at DCA will make the trip worth it. Add in the Nemo Subs, Toad's Wild Ride, World of Color, and the better versions of Space Mt, Pirates, and IASW, and you'll be glad you got to try it at least once. Now....you will be shocked at how small the place is. Narrow walkways, short Main Street, and a small castle may take a bit of the magic away. Also, there aren't as many great TS restaurants in Anaheim.

Just know that DL is a different experience. You really don't get the "magic bubble" feeling that you get at WDW because it's in the middle of LA. You also don't get fireworks every night like you do at MK unless you're there in the summer or during a super busy holiday week. And fireworks can be cancelled, which doesn't happen at WDW. Also, character photo ops are weird compared to WDW. They just kinda show up in a spot, often without a CM/handler, so the lines can be chaotic at times. There are other differences I could talk about, but I think these are things you should experience for yourself. Again, if this is just a one time trip to see what else Disney has to offer, you'll be glad you did it.

I had a feeling that there were more places serving alcohol. But I actually mean that it from a a cultural perspective. I saw a lot of drunk adults at Epcot, and I just had never seen that at the CA parks.

I will agree with that, I don't know if i've personally seen many drunk adults in DCA. Lots of people with drinks, but not drunk. :) Definitely check out the limeade the next time you go!

Personally, after many WDW trips, I prefer DL. No huge amount of planning needed. You can go with the flow. Old FP system is my favorite. I had no idea how much I had missed it! Everything is so close together you can walk from one end of the park to the other in no time. I really loved the quaint feeling and all of the details of the original park. Yes, the castle is smaller but you can walk through it! Don't miss that.

We have been to WDW 5 times before we went to DL in 2014. We wanted to experience Walt's park. Yes people told us we would be disappointed but we ignored them. We FELL in love with DL. The main difference is the size of the castle. My dh prefers DL to WDW and we have been twice since that first visit. My dh says that DL has a "theme park" feel to it vs "amusement park" at WDW. Our last trip to WDW was in December 2015. Our next family trip will be to DL. Both of my girls give DL a slight advantage over WDW.

This topic always confuses me. First, just to get this out of the way, bigger doesn't equal better. I think being able to travel to more than one Disney park would be glorious. I would love to go to every single park at some point in my life and expect each one will be special in its own way.

First trip ever to Disneyland CA coming up. We've been to WDW more times than I can recall. I mentioned this to a colleague in passing and he warned "you're going to be mightily disappointed"???

I don't think we will be but of course it made me think this would be a good question to ask here. Have any of you fellow frequent WDW travelers been disappointed by your first trip to Disneyland CA?

I've been to WDW about a dozen times and love it. I just took my first Disneyland trip last weekend, and I have to say I loved it even more than I expected to. Sure, it was strange to not see the castle from practically every spot in the park, but hopping across the esplanade (as opposed to an hour by bus or monorail or boat) was a breeze. They had almost all my favourite rides from all 4 WDW parks, but crammed into 2, plus a lot more food variety. Honestly the only thing either of us missed was stuff at EPCOT. I was worried about exactly what you're talking about, but it was unfounded - I had a fantastic time and can't wait to go back.

I was wondering the same but for some reason I have a feeling I will fall in love with Disneyland and San Diego. There are great deals for WDW 2018 and I can't get myself to book now

I love going away in the summer and the weather in California sounds so much more reasonable in June/July than Orlando
I love that I can get fireworks theme park view in hotel 10 minutes walk from the entrance, right across the theme park for fraction of what a value accommodation miles away would be at WDW
I love the thought that we would be able to walk from one park to another, and do soarin and toy story in the same park!

I will report back July when we return!

I honestly think DCA is a much cooler/better themed park than both Epcot and HS.

A major difference (to me) is that the drinking scene is a LOT more low key at the CA parks. I was seriously taken aback by how many places in the parks served booze in Florida. I could be wrong, the the only place in that I can think of at DL is Carthay Circle and even that is only wine.

/QUOTE]

Alcohol is sold just about everywhere in California Adventure. Even at the Cozy Cones! I remember a stand selling beer and pretzels. The Cove Bar sells mixed drinks, not just the Lobster Nachos. ;)

Depending on when the OP visits, one thing to keep in mind is that the SWL construction has affected DL's charm to some extent. Not having the DLRR running and the ROA area back to its lovely, old self, has added to the pedestrian traffic and congestion. Just to keep in mind that it wasn't always like this and it won't be like this forever.

It's funny how opinions can be so differing. I am here now on my first ever DL trip. I am writing this from my room in the GCH. While disappointed would certainly be an overstatement, it is certainly not living up to the hype for me. While I am saying this, I am full well acknowledging that most of the rides here are better and cars and Indiana Jones are likely the two best rides at either the two parks. Many of the things that people are saying that they love, are things that leave me underwhelmed. To each his/her own, but I am feeling quite underwhelmed by the smallness of the smallness of all of it. This likely has a lot to do with history. For me, as a kid, I grew up going to WDW. I have seen all the growth and I am nostalgic for WDW. The other big thing is that I live 1400 miles away, and many people I know that live around me talk about WDW with the same history of going there as kids like I do. Most of those trips are at least a week long or more. Heck, a week is not enough time for WDW, and 4+ days here seems way to much. For me, getting of the plane, and entering the bubble as soon as I check in at the ME is mainly why I love WDW. People actually make resort only trips to WDW and get much enjoyment just enjoying the resorts. I can't imagine this would be the case in DL. I am keeping this very short and sweet, but I could likely write several pages on this topic, if I was not exhausted from walking the parks the last 14 hours. Anyways OP, who cares what I or anyone else's opinions are, this subject likely has a very personal answer for each of us.

We heard that a lot too before going on our first trip to DLR. I knew it was Walt's original park so I knew it couldn't be that bad, plus my kids and I would watch all of the different ride videos on YouTube which got us very excited by it. Let me just say that the people that told us that we will be disappointed was sorely mistaken, we LOVED everything about DLR, we loved that it is much smaller then WDW, that you can walk to everything and not rely on buses or boats. We loved all of the different rides that is strictly for DLR that WDW doesn't have (Carsland, Screamin, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, and so many more), and most of all we love (well DH and I more then the kids) the fact that they still have rides that are non existent anymore in WDW (Mr. Toad's, SWSA, and even though WDW has Finding Nemo, it is in the old 20,000 League's boats). Then of course you have the nostalgia of DL Park being Walt's park and you get to see so many original buildings that Walt himself had a hand in making that he never got to witness building in WDW (sorry I am a HUGE Walt Disney nerd and love everything historical about him :goodvibes). With that all said, my family has been to DLR twice now and will be returning this December for Christmas/New Years (shhh it is a surprise :banana:) and also DH and I had our own Day trip without kids during a couple's trip to the West Coast (again shhh kids still don't know about that heheh).

I've traveled to Disneyland several times in the past few years. Every time, I've had at least one person tell me that I'll be disappointed, it's small, nothing like Disney World, etc. None of those people have been to Disneyland, or they haven't been in 30 years, or they "just know."

I would take DL over WDW any day of the week. Better rides and entertainment in a smaller, walkable space. Plentiful, good counter-service options. Attraction density. WEATHER.

Right now, I'm planning return trips for WDW and DL this summer. For WDW, I've made ADRs, tweaked park days, tweaked ADRs, scrutinized touring plans, etc. At Disneyland, for the most part, you just go. You just do what you want to do and it doesn't really matter. Eat where you want, when you want. Go early and have the park to yourself for a few hours before the locals show up. Stumble on a character the way you really can't anymore in Florida.

You will only be disappointed if you are expecting to be. If you take an open mind, you will love it.

It's funny how opinions can be so differing. I am here now on my first ever DL trip. I am writing this from my room in the GCH. While disappointed would certainly be an overstatement, it is certainly not living up to the hype for me. While I am saying this, I am full well acknowledging that most of the rides here are better and cars and Indiana Jones are likely the two best rides at either the two parks. Many of the things that people are saying that they love, are things that leave me underwhelmed. To each his/her own, but I am feeling quite underwhelmed by the smallness of the smallness of all of it. This likely has a lot to do with history. For me, as a kid, I grew up going to WDW. I have seen all the growth and I am nostalgic for WDW. The other big thing is that I live 1400 miles away, and many people I know that live around me talk about WDW with the same history of going there as kids like I do. Most of those trips are at least a week long or more. Heck, a week is not enough time for WDW, and 4+ days here seems way to much. For me, getting of the plane, and entering the bubble as soon as I check in at the ME is mainly why I love WDW. People actually make resort only trips to WDW and get much enjoyment just enjoying the resorts. I can't imagine this would be the case in DL. I am keeping this very short and sweet, but I could likely write several pages on this topic, if I was not exhausted from walking the parks the last 14 hours. Anyways OP, who cares what I or anyone else's opinions are, this subject likely has a very personal answer for each of us.
I am sorry you have had some level of disappointment at DLR. I often tell people that WDW vets are more "resort centric" and DLR vets are more "park centric". Your comments seem to reflect that. For those who love the magic inside Disney parks, they usually connect very quickly with DL and DCA. Some folks (maybe you) love the feeling of large scale "all inclusiveness". And they associate that with Disney magic just because that is their experience base.

I for one do not attach the whole resort as to the magic, but I like the magic inside the parks. The technology. The storytelling. The cool shows (whether it be FOTLK or Illuminations or World of Color). The feeling of fun.

I will be going on WDW trip #8 next month, and I feel like I love WDW almost as much as DLR. I could easily see that if WDW was my first experience before DLR I could love WDW more. I started at DL when I was 3 years old. I did not make it to WDW until I was in my 40's. So that tilts things for me to DLR. But ever so slightly now. Almost to the point that I do not think about it very much.

There are many things about WDW I love more than DLR. When I am at DLR now I miss not being able to experience Expedition Everest or Rockin Rollercoaster or Philharmagic or seeing Festival of the Lion King. When I am at WDW I miss not being able to ride DL's POTC or Indiana Jones or seeing Wolrd of Color. Or seeing DL's Fantasmic. I can no longer tolerate WDW's Fantasmic myself as DL's is so much better IMO.

When at DLR I do not miss WDW's buses or boats, and I do not miss WDW's weather (except in the Spring time - I prefer March in Orlando to Anaheim). I love being able to step out of my DLR hotel room and be to the parks in a few minutes on foot. I love knowing I am sleeping right across the street from the parks and when I open my hotel room door I can see ToT or Space Mtn. (Alas ToT is going away - a huge mistake IMO). That is one of the reasons I prefer WDW's Boardwalk hotels because of their proximity to Epcot and DHS.

Anyways, I wish you the best and hope you experience at least one thing at DLR which sticks with you on your next WDW trip and makes you think of something you miss at DLR. :)

:wizard:

Last edited:

Is it possible not that some of your impressions are influenced buy construction? I wanted to hit DL once this summer but too much is under refurb right now. It won't happen until at least the rivers reopen.

I will say I agree with you. I don't really think it lives up to its hype but I'm not sure anything does. I don't really get the whole breathless "this is walt's own park" thing that some people have. I prefer DL because I can get the same amount of park stuff done in 2 days that I can get done at WDW in 6 days. If you'd asked before you went, I would have said spend 3 days in the park and the rest of the time in LA. I enjoy resort hopping at WDW but it can't compete with a real, vibrant city. For one thing, the city has better food:lmao:

I wish DL had value hotels. And I wish there was a Disney campground in California. But I really do like the locals park vibe more than the enormous tour groups in Florida.

Honestly the only thing either of us missed was stuff at EPCOT.

Right there! I like coming to DL, but I totally miss Epcot. Between SSE, The Seas, The Land, and World Showcase, that park brings the Disney Magic together. Throw in the Animal Kingdom, complete with the Safari and Expedition Everest (which blows Matterhorn away), and I start missing all that I'm missing at WDW.

For me, getting of the plane, and entering the bubble as soon as I check in at the ME is mainly why I love WDW. People actually make resort only trips to WDW and get much enjoyment just enjoying the resorts. I can't imagine this would be the case in DL.

While I don't miss waiting on buses to the parks, this is the bus I miss. Getting off the plane, heading right to Magical Express and being in the Bubble for a week+. That, to me, is Magic that DL can't reproduce. Even when I've stayed at PPH or DLH. And there's just something about WDW resorts that make you feel like you've escaped reality.

I will be goign on WDW trip #8 next month, and I feel like I love WDW almost as much as DLR. I could easily see that if WDW was my first experience before DLR I could love WDW more. I started at DL when I was 3 years old. I did not make it to WDW until I was in my 40's. So that tilts things for me to DLR. But ever so slightly now. Almost to the point that I do not think about it very much.

Anyways, I wish you the best and hope you experience at least one thing at DLR which sticks with you on your next WDW trip and makes you think of something you miss at DLR. :)

:wizard:

I always disagree with this sentiment. I went to DL from the time when I was 4 and through HS. I remember at the age of 14 hearing my Uncle and Aunt were going on their honeymoon to DisneyWORLD and thinking "Why would they go there when DL is better?"...even though I'd never been to Florida. And then my wife and I went to WDW....it was like Disneyland but x10!!! So HUGE!!! They have everything there. We went there 6 more times, until we got to a budget point where we couldn't fly a family of 5 there all the time (thinking about college is more important than trips to Florida....I keep telling myself). And while I've spent almost as many days at DL in the past 4 years as we did at WDW in 10 years(2002-2012), I miss WDW terribly. Though like you said at the end....if we return to WDW, there are many things I'll be missing from DL. Like POTC, Cars Land, Bugs Land, Legacy FP, PtN, and WoC. Each resort has it's own special-ness.

There are some very good points above, and it is hard to disagree with any of them. I certainly agree that I am more resort centric and I think I could literally spend a month at WDW and be saddened to leave. We leave DL tomorrow, and I am looking forward to heading home. As I said above though, dissapointed would certainly not be the word I would describe for this trip at all. We also got to drive down PCH and spend a day from Huntington to Laguna. By far the highlight of this trip was a day spent exploring Joshua Tree Natinal Park. I will certainly hand location diversity by far to DL.
One unexpected negative though that very much surprised me is the lack of friendliness we encountered as a whole. While there certainly has been a whole bunch of friendly people here, we have experienced downright cast member rudeness at least 7 or 8 times. If we average 1 of these experiences per trip at WDW, I would be surprised. I'd however question that this may be a regional interaction thing. I was discussing this with my wife last night and i did tell her that there is a possibility it may be us on some level. We are from the NE and maybe we are just more forward or aggressive in some different way than people are used to here. We certainly don't feel like we are anything but very friendly but there certainly is a cultural difference between coasts. It's hard to put my finger on it, but there just seems to be a general tension in the air here.
Well we will certainly enjoy our last full day as we will be heading to DL shortly, but this will likely be a check mark one and done for us.

Last edited:

Well speaking from personal experience..... :drinking1 hahahaha

And as other posters have replied to you as well, there is booze everywhere in DCA! Every Table Service restaurant has a full bar (I believe - Wine Country Trattoria might actually only do beer/wine), there are a few dedicated alcohol kiosks (Karl Strauss Truck, Margarita Stand, Bayside Brews next to the Silly Swings), a few lounges (Carthay Circle Lounge - full bar not just wine, mendocino terrace lounge), and you can buy beer from pretty much any quick service as well! Flo's V8 sells Bear Republic Racer 5's that are sooo good if you like IPA and the line is often shorter than the Karl Strauss truck around the corner.

As for DLR compared to WDW I can't really say because I haven't been to WDW (yet), but I can say that Disneyland is so relaxing and fun for me. As other people have said, everything is extremely accessible. It allows you to take a more flexible approach to your vacation and just do what you want when you want with no second thoughts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter