A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back - they were checking all the frigs, but didn't remove ours.
They told us they were just doing inventory.

We were originally booked for 16 nights at BC CL (two reservations 9 nights first one, 7 nights second).

We went over to Narcoossee's for dinner and kids got nostalgic for the GF. We usually always stayed there when they were little. Ended up switching our second reservations to 7 nights at the GF TPV room. We had a fantastic castle view from our Boca Chica room. It was so relaxing watching the EWP and Wishes from our balcony.

We rented a cabana for the afternoon on our last day. DME wasn't picking us up until 6:50 so it was nice to have somewhere to hand so we didn't feel "homeless".

All in all a fabulous week!

I had forgotten how nice the GF is!

Sounds lovely! Glad you were able to make the switch.

Dis blog has an article on this. Apparently you can pick the # of days, like 2,3 or 4, or length of stay which jumps to a whopping $18 :confused: bleck. They do say it's good at any resort, so if you have a split stay the chip allows all resorts.
So if these mugs are in for my trip, I can use the same chip mug at both GF & YC. Not happy with price increase though. I am glad they recognize people do split stays. Would like the option of bring back our mug for next trip, to be reprogrammed, instead of having to buy new one.

Thanks, very informative!:goodvibes Wow, that is a big jump in price, I wondered if the money recouped would cover the upgrade in system, but I guess we see how that is possible.:eek::laughing:

We don't even drink soda, we just buy mugs as souvenirs - not nearly so many as in years past, when they had various designs for the resorts.

....keeping the mug but reprogramming the chip would be a very nice option:thumbsup2 wonder if the powers that be have considered that??

k&a&c'smom Hope that your back is all better !

My guess is they considered and promptly rejected!:rotfl:

:hug:Thanks, I'm nearly all well, probably another day or so and it will be back to normal. Just in time to finish up the pages for the new FAQ.:idea:

We were originally booked for 16 nights at BC CL (two reservations 9 nights first one, 7 nights second).

We went over to Narcoossee's for dinner and kids got nostalgic for the GF. We usually always stayed there when they were little. Ended up switching our second reservations to 7 nights at the GF TPV room. We had a fantastic castle view from our Boca Chica room. It was so relaxing watching the EWP and Wishes from our balcony.

We rented a cabana for the afternoon on our last day. DME wasn't picking us up until 6:50 so it was nice to have somewhere to hand so we didn't feel "homeless".

Glad you were able to switch your second reservation and had a great stay at the Grand!:cheer2: We had the same experience, but the opposite - had forgotten how nice the Y&BC were until we visited a few years ago, now we have to split our time between the two.:thumbsup2

Interesting about the fridge, I wonder if they will replace them all or just the ones that don't work properly? (in my experience, that will still be all, lol)

Hi folks. At the GF now. Refrigerators are still in the room, but unplugged. There is a note on them not to reconnect them. No noise from construction from the DVC. Waterfall pool only has one stream of water coming down. A lot less than last year. The fence really isn't that bad.

Glad you got to make the switch..sounds like the best of both worlds! :goodvibes We are trying to decide on a cabana day or not....Were all of the construction walls down in the pool area???

September 5 can not come soon enough.... I can't wait to be back at the Grand!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Me either..!!!

Hi folks. At the GF now. Refrigerators are still in the room, but unplugged. There is a note on them not to reconnect them. No noise from construction from the DVC. Waterfall pool only has one stream of water coming down. A lot less than last year. The fence really isn't that bad.

Hope you and your family are having a great vacation! pixiedust: Curious about the fencing around the beach and DVC area...I know some of it was removed?? At this point has most of it been removed??

k&a&c'smom Glad you are feeling better! :goodvibes And just in time to start a new FAQ! :faint: LOL...;) I think you will be having to add lots of new info with the VGF opening in the near future...

September 5 can not come soon enough.... I can't wait to be back at the Grand!!!!

It will be here before you know it!:cool1::cool1:

Woohoo!:dance3: Thanks for the updates, have a magical, Grand vacation.

k&a&c'smom Glad you are feeling better! :goodvibes And just in time to start a new FAQ! :faint: LOL...;) I think you will be having to add lots of new info with the VGF opening in the near future...

I know!!:eek: This is why I'm starting now, before I end up scrambling at the last minute.

I'm counting on everyone to help me with all the VGF info, I am totally clueless when it comes to DVC.:laughing::grouphug:

September will be here before you know it ::yes::.

Hope you're having a great time :).

I'm counting on everyone to help me with all the VGF info, I am totally clueless when it comes to DVC.:laughing::grouphug:

I wouldn't worry too much as I'm sure there will be lots of people to help you with VGF info :goodvibes.

Hi Blue :wave:

Thanks, very informative!:goodvibes Wow, that is a big jump in price, I wondered if the money recouped would cover the upgrade in system, but I guess we see how that is possible.:eek::laughing:

We don't even drink soda, we just buy mugs as souvenirs - not nearly so many as in years past, when they had various designs for the resorts.

My guess is they considered and promptly rejected!:rotfl:

:hug:Thanks, I'm nearly all well, probably another day or so and it will be back to normal. Just in time to finish up the pages for the new FAQ.:idea:

Glad you were able to switch your second reservation and had a great stay at the Grand!:cheer2: We had the same experience, but the opposite - had forgotten how nice the Y&BC were until we visited a few years ago, now we have to split our time between the two.:thumbsup2

Interesting about the fridge, I wonder if they will replace them all or just the ones that don't work properly? (in my experience, that will still be all, lol)

The only thing I use my mug for is coffee, tea, ice tea and lemonade. I like to mix the lemonade and ice tea. So really lemonade is the only thing in the soda fountain we use. None of us are pop drinkers.
We go Twice a year, so would be nice to be able to reprogram mugs.

In August 2 of my resorts will be testing Magic Bands. GF is our middle stay and not testing. I wonder how this will work, as MDE has allowed me to pick FPs for our time at GF. But GF doesn't have the Magic Bands :confused3. So how will I access my FP+ so confusing. Ugh

I wouldn't worry too much as I'm sure there will be lots of people to help you with VGF info :goodvibes.

Thanks, I'll need all the help I can get.:goodvibes

The only thing I use my mug for is coffee, tea, ice tea and lemonade. I like to mix the lemonade and ice tea. So really lemonade is the only thing in the soda fountain we use. None of us are pop drinkers.
We go Twice a year, so would be nice to be able to reprogram mugs.

I don't drink coffee, but love Arnie Palmers, I don't know why I've never tried mixing at the fountain. Probably because I don't care for Country Time, or whatever type they use. I usually get one or two iced teas in my mug, I like Gold Peak but prefer fresh brewed so I often get iced tea in the table service restaurants and drink water the rest of the time. We keep a large bottle in the room.

We find the mugs a little inconvenient, I only use them at the resort. We hate having to keep track of them while touring.

Good tip, though, I'm going to try to remember for next visit! (unless they have ugly mugs, lol)

ETA: I do agree, it would be nice to reprogram the mugs. Seems it would be easy enough to do.

In August 2 of my resorts will be testing Magic Bands. GF is our middle stay and not testing. I wonder how this will work, as MDE has allowed me to pick FPs for our time at GF. But GF doesn't have the Magic Bands :confused3. So how will I access my FP+ so confusing. Ugh

Ugh, that does sound like a dilemma.:headache: I'm getting ready to have dinner, but afterwards I'll see if I can find something on the Theme Parks board that relates - surely someone has asked this question.

Sue M - I found a couple threads that relate to your earlier question about APs and FP+:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3144417

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131623

I'm going to do a search to see if your question about the test and a split stay has been asked/answered. BRB!:)

This thread might have some info, it starts out with questions about a split reservation. The OP seems to have two resorts in the test, but later in the thread they may answer your questions: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3142535

Still reading.:)

OK, I did a search for "magic bands test split stay" and these two threads came up. I haven't scanned through them to see if your specific question is answered, but thought I'd post the links if you want to scan through. If I get more time later, I'll do more research.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3142450&highlight=magic+bands+test+split+stay

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3140373&highlight=magic+bands+test+split+stay

Sue M - I found a couple threads that relate to your earlier question about APs and FP+:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3144417

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131623

I'm going to do a search to see if your question about the test and a split stay has been asked/answered. BRB!:)

This thread might have some info, it starts out with questions about a split reservation. The OP seems to have two resorts in the test, but later in the thread they may answer your questions: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3142535

Still reading.:)

OK, I did a search for "magic bands test split stay" and these two threads came up. I haven't scanned through them to see if your specific question is answered, but thought I'd post the links if you want to scan through. If I get more time later, I'll do more research.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3142450&highlight=magic+bands+test+split+stay

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3140373&highlight=magic+bands+test+split+stay

thanks!!! Going to start reading! :thumbsup2

I do bring my mug into the parks, I like to fill it with ice water & Mio while walking around, esp in August. And it's a good way to keep a slush drink cold too! I attach mug by caribeiner to my purse strap.

Well there sure seems to be lots of speculation, but no body knows anything for sure. I think I'm going to have to wait to activate new AP at a Guest Relations, to continue FP+ selections after current AP expires.

But still have no idea about if I'll be able to use my FP+ selections I made during my GF stay since GF isn't part of the August test.

I never got an email inviting me to be a tester! But was able to pick band colours, and make FP selections, and did get an email from Disney Destinations saying I can pick up my bands at resort. They don't mail it to international visitors. ugh.

Guess its all clear as mud, lol!

When we were there, they had tested on those that checked in on June 21 at the CR and someplace else. I saw people at Gasparillas with magic bands on...I assumed they were split stays and had checked into one of those resorts on the 21st. The man in front of me used his to "pay" for his food. I would think once it is loaded, it's loaded for the whole trip?!?

Well there sure seems to be lots of speculation, but no body knows anything for sure. I think I'm going to have to wait to activate new AP at a Guest Relations, to continue FP+ selections after current AP expires.

But still have no idea about if I'll be able to use my FP+ selections I made during my GF stay since GF isn't part of the August test.

I never got an email inviting me to be a tester! But was able to pick band colours, and make FP selections, and did get an email from Disney Destinations saying I can pick up my bands at resort. They don't mail it to international visitors. ugh.

Guess its all clear as mud, lol!

Well, phooey. I was hoping CF had posted in some of those threads, he usually has the answer. Robo often knows the score, but I'm not sure if he's a CM or just does a lot of research.

I wonder why the Grand isn't part of the test?!:confused:

I don't think of BC as international, btw, though I guess it technically is!:laughing: We seem to treat North America as one entity in some contexts, too bad they won't use that reasoning for your bands.

Thanks about the mugs, I should do that, too. I always end up feeling like a miner, with all my stuff hanging on me!:rotfl: I prefer to go without a bag at all, but lately I take a VB cross body. Now that I need glasses to read, I have to bring something for those, anyway.

When we were there, they had tested on those that checked in on June 21 at the CR and someplace else. I saw people at Gasparillas with magic bands on...I assumed they were split stays and had checked into one of those resorts on the 21st. The man in front of me used his to "pay" for his food. I would think once it is loaded, it's loaded for the whole trip?!?

Thanks, that makes sense! Hopefully it will work the same way for those staying next month. The other resort in June was AKL Jambo, a friend barely missed that test!:headache:

K&A&C's Mom. I would love to help with VGF! I am booked in a 2bdrm lake view for Jan2014. I have been doing lots of research. :goodvibes

Also I noticed the menus needs updating. If anybody there soon can you get pics of menus please?

Also I finally told family about our arrival on New Years Day(6:30pm). We will go to Sugar Loaf that night then move the next day to villas. We will save $$$$ and get dd fav scones and ds fav potato chips.:cool1:

Is it wrong to ply our dh's with alcohol before giving them our change in plans:confused3

Can't wait for more info on the villas and magicbands :)

K&A&C's Mom. I would love to help with VGF! I am booked in a 2bdrm lake view for Jan2014. I have been doing lots of research. :goodvibes

Also I noticed the menus needs updating. If anybody there soon can you get pics of menus please?

Also I finally told family about our arrival on New Years Day(6:30pm). We will go to Sugar Loaf that night then move the next day to villas. We will save $$$$ and get dd fav scones and ds fav potato chips.:cool1:

Is it wrong to ply our dh's with alcohol before giving them our change in plans:confused3

Can't wait for more info on the villas and magicbands :)

Thanks! When I get to the VGF page, I'll ask for specific details.:flower3:

Which menus are you referring to? I'm so irritated with myself that I didn't ask for a new Gasparilla's menu in April.:headache: The other menus I link to are posted here on the DIS Resorts pages, I haven't even checked those recently. Maybe in the new FAQ, I'll link to allears, Deb keeps the menus over there current, at least in my experience.

If you mean the pages of the Private Dining menu, that has remained the same for as long as I've been staying at the Grand.:laughing: To save room, I plan to link to an album of these photos in the next FAQ. Don't know why I didn't think to do that last year, when I first posted them. Probably lost some brain cells by that point, it was a lot of links, typing and cross reference.:faint:

Aren't the scones yummy?! We love having them, whether in CL or at afternoon tea in the Tea Room. LOL about using alcohol to soften the blow of a change in plans.

Ok just have to post my countdown. 17 days until two nights at GF SL (the SL part is a surprise to my girls). Then seven nights on the Fantasy. Starting to really get excited.

WooHoo..........3 days to go and we will be in Sugarloaf ! :cool1: Checking in on the 25th ! CANT WAIT !!! :cloud9:

Syndrome

Ok just have to post my countdown. 17 days until two nights at GF SL (the SL part is a surprise to my girls). Then seven nights on the Fantasy. Starting to really get excited.

That is too funny...That is also our countdown. We are doing GF RPC and it is a surprise for my DD and DS. The RPC part is a surprise for DH. I told him it was sold out. Can't wait to see their faces.

We did the Fantasy last August...Your family will have a wonderful time :sail:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter