A "first"-timer's PTR Nov 2013

MommyRobot

noob.
Disney is no joke.

About 6 months ago my Mom said that we should go to Disney. I thought she was crazy and told her that DS was too young, and wouldn't remember yadda, yadda, yadda. After trying to come up with "better" solutions for a fun family vacation (and failing miserably) I said why not. So I went online and booked our first Disney vacation. I found a resort that worked, a food plan that worked, tickets and flights through Disney and booked a MYW package. :woohoo:

Then I started researching. yikes! I’ve since learned quite a bit that I probably did wrong, but oh well!! We’re going to Disney!!!

Overwhelmed doesn't even scratch the surface. Mostly it’s a good overwhelmed, but overwhelmed nonetheless. I found disboards (the dis, yes?) and have been obsessing over ever since. I’ve loved reading PTRs so I decided I should have my own!

I'll try my best to keep up with the lingo, but I make no promises. Also, I welcome any and all advice, tips, comments and any slivers of sanity you may want to toss my way.

Welcome! Can't wait to hear all about your planning :) This site is great, such a fantastic resource.

Let's get to know each other, shall we?

The Robot family

Robots_zps5f93d198.jpg

MommyRobot (me!)

meeeeeeee_zps2160dc16.jpg

Mommy, Wife and Hotel Manager and in that order, although I'm sure sometimes the hubs would beg to differ. I'm an overweight (working on it), fun, nerdy, quirky 27yr old. I love my family, my job (yeah, I'm one of those), showtunes, crafting, reading, singing, board games and a lot of crappy TV. I overuse punctuation. This will be my 3rd trip to WDW. One in the 90’s with my family-which I don’t really remember at all, and one last year for work so that hardly counts! :rotfl:

DaddyRobot (the hubs)

shaneydaddy_zps520277c7.jpg

The hubs likes me (most of the time), gaming, zombies, Star Wars (and all things geeky), bacon, facial hair, college basketball and working out (blech). This will be his 2nd trip to Disney- he also went in the 90’s. When I first booked and said “time to start some research and planning” his response was “you’ve booked a room, tickets and flights. What else could there be?” eeeeek! :crazy2:

ShaneyRobot (the boy)

supershane_zps79b65d57.jpg

The boy is the coolest almost 5yr old (sniff) on the block. He was "born lucky" on St. Patty's Day 2008. He's an amazing kid with an incredible personality. He's funny, smart, sweet, caring and genuine. He loves Phineas and Ferb, Cars, Super Heros and Star Wars. His smile lights up the room and I absolutely cannot wait to surprise him with his first trip to Disney…but when?! (More on that at a later date)

Grandma and Papa (my Mama and her Fiance) will be joining us for our trip too. Grandma’s 2nd trip as she was with me in the 90’s and Papa’s first trip! Grandma’s only request was that she doesn't have to plan (except when she calls and says “oooooh, don’t forget about this") and that she gets to sit and watch the jumping fountains (?) at Epcot for at least 2 hours since we didn't let her when we were kids. :rotfl2:

Welcome! Can't wait to hear all about your planning :) This site is great, such a fantastic resource.

The amount of information here is amazing. And I love that it's all real experience. I've been looking at books and reading through other sites and nothing compares to this!

Mommy, Wife and Hotel Manager and in that order, although I'm sure sometimes the hubs would beg to differ. I'm an overweight (working on it), fun, nerdy, quirky 27yr old. I love my family, my job (yeah, I'm one of those), showtunes, crafting, reading, singing, board games and a lot of crappy TV. I overuse punctuation. This will be my 3rd trip to WDW. One in the 90’s with my family-which I don’t really remember at all, and one last year for work so that hardly counts! :rotfl:

The boy is the coolest almost 5yr old (sniff) on the block. He was "born lucky" on St. Patty's Day 2008.

Grandma and Papa (my Mama and her Fiance) will be joining us for our trip too. Grandma’s 2nd trip as she was with me in the 90’s and Papa’s first trip! Grandma’s only request was that she doesn't have to plan (except when she calls and says “oooooh, don’t forget about this") and that she gets to sit and watch the jumping fountains (?) at Epcot for at least 2 hours since we didn't let her when we were kids. :rotfl2:
Looking forward to reading along... super guilty of over punctuation too ;) Cute family :)

I have two lucky charms too, though they aren't exactly St. Pats they are the 14th and 16th. I love how happy he looks wearing his Superman costume.

Your mom cracks me up already! What a great request, and easy enough to indulge!

Looking forward to reading along... super guilty of over punctuation too ;) Cute family :)

I have two lucky charms too, though they aren't exactly St. Pats they are the 14th and 16th. I love how happy he looks wearing his Superman costume.

Your mom cracks me up already! What a great request, and easy enough to indulge!

She is a hoot, that's for sure!

And yay for March babies!! <3

I've done a little planning in the last few days, and here is my tentative schedule, possible dining options and a couple things we MUST do (if i've gotten that far in that park haha! I didn't even begin to dive into the MK yet, saving that for last!). I think we'll try to avoid the parks with EMH, anyone have thoughts on this? I had read a few places that they might be less congested. :confused3

I'll bold the dining options I've come up with so far and would LOOOOVE any and all feedback on them!!!

Saturday 11/2- Arrive between 1-2p at ASMu. Unpack once room is available (can anyone help me with the time frame that bags arrive after you land in Orlando? Should I expect them there when we get there or within a few hours?). Wait for and unpack grocery delivery. Head to DTD. dinner at T-Rex.

Sunday 11/3- MK (Is RD a must at this park?) I have nothing planned for this day yet. :rotfl: Possible Character Meal... suggestions?

Monday 11/4- RD at DHS. Run for Jedi academy with the boy! Lunch or Dinner at Sci-Fi Dine-in Theatre and Fantasmic! for sure.

Tuesday 11/5- RD at AK. Thinking of doing HDDR this night as I've read AK is a 1/2 day park. My other thought was to do HDDR on Saturday, the day we arrive instead of going to DTD. Input anyone?

Wednesday 11/6- Epcot! Dinner at Teppan Edo Going to try to get a 6p ADR because we're doing the VIP fireworks across from the Italian Pavilion at 8:30. This should give us plenty of time to eat and get over there, yes?

Thursday 11/7- Universal IOA <3 harry potter.

Friday 11/8- Return to our favorite park!

And go home on Saturday. :sad1:

Like I said, this is just tentative and will change (a million times) I'm sure in the next 7 months. I am begging for feedback from all of you Vets though!! :worship:

I've done a little planning in the last few days, and here is my tentative schedule, possible dining options and a couple things we MUST do (if i've gotten that far in that park haha! I didn't even begin to dive into the MK yet, saving that for last!). I think we'll try to avoid the parks with EMH, anyone have thoughts on this? I had read a few places that they might be less congested. :confused3

Hello!! I followed you over from the November Facebook group. We will be there a couple of weeks after you. Happy Birthday to your little boy tomorrow!! My husband is a St. Patty's baby too. He will be the big 30 tomorrow!! It looks like we dont live to far from each other. We are on the north shore of Oneida lake, about 40 minutes from Syracuse.

Your trip plans look good so far. You are right about wanting to avoid parks with EMH. Those parks will always be more crowded then the others without them.

I'll bold the dining options I've come up with so far and would LOOOOVE any and all feedback on them!!!

Saturday 11/2- Arrive between 1-2p at ASMu. Unpack once room is available (can anyone help me with the time frame that bags arrive after you land in Orlando? Should I expect them there when we get there or within a few hours?). Wait for and unpack grocery delivery. Head to DTD. dinner at T-Rex.

Sunday 11/3- MK (Is RD a must at this park?) I have nothing planned for this day yet. :rotfl: Possible Character Meal... suggestions?

Monday 11/4- RD at DHS. Run for Jedi academy with the boy! Lunch or Dinner at Sci-Fi Dine-in Theatre and Fantasmic! for sure.

Tuesday 11/5- RD at AK. Thinking of doing HDDR this night as I've read AK is a 1/2 day park. My other thought was to do HDDR on Saturday, the day we arrive instead of going to DTD. Input anyone?

Wednesday 11/6- Epcot! Dinner at Teppan Edo Going to try to get a 6p ADR because we're doing the VIP fireworks across from the Italian Pavilion at 8:30. This should give us plenty of time to eat and get over there, yes?

Thursday 11/7- Universal IOA <3 harry potter.

Friday 11/8- Return to our favorite park!

And go home on Saturday. :sad1:

Like I said, this is just tentative and will change (a million times) I'm sure in the next 7 months. I am begging for feedback from all of you Vets though!! :worship:

Saturday: Bags will usually arrive at your hotel 2-3 hours later, in our experience.

Sunday: Crystal Palace is a good place for a morning character breakfast, it has the pooh characters. If you plan it right you can schedule your breakfast before the park opens and get some great pics of the castle with no one in them.

Tuesday: Sorry I cant help you with this one, we have never tried HDDR.

Wednesday: I would think that this would be plenty of time.

Thursday: So Jealous!! We havent gotten over to Universal yet. We were waiting for ds to get old enough to enjoy all the big rides and now that he is we just have to make the time to get over there!!

Joining in! This reminds me of planning my first trip! My best advice is to have fun and not to stress out. Planning (and re-planning or making changes) is part of the fun! Ok...well at least I think it is, others may disagree!

In my experience bags take about 2-3 hours. On our first trip, we stayed at Pop and it was more like 6 hours because there was a horrible thunderstorm and they couldn't do bag delivery with the storm. I recommend packing a carry on with anything you think you may need in the first few hours. You can always leave it with bell services at the hotel if your room isn't ready when you arrive.

You didn't ask, but I have used Garden Grocer on all of our trips and they are awesome! Some people say that their delivery fees are a little steep, but I think they are well worth it. Always prompt and on time, and their customer service is excellent!

Sorry, have never been to Hoop de Doo but I hear that it is really awesome and the food very good. I would love to go some day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter