A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

Wonderful post! Planning our July 2013 trip & this will help tremendously! Thank you!! :thumbsup2

Just wanted to say thank you HydroGuy for making this and all of your other Superthreads. Our family will be heading to the West Coast parks for the first time next June and your Superthreads have really helped me out with the planning. We are WDW vets (we go once if not twice a year so we are very knowledgeable on that subject) and this thread alone has really helped me with my planning. When we first decided to go to DLR, I was kind of nervous about it since I don't know too much about the parks and everything else. I kind of felt like a newbie all over again :rotfl:. Thank you for easing my mind and for giving me the information I need in order to answer my DH's and both of my DD's questions about DLR.

wow this is awesome! i just got back from WDW and was thinking of planning my next trip. my mom said "what about Disneyland?" i wasn't sure about transportation (my only real worried, I know disneyland will be awesome) but this put my mind to rest! Sounds like I need to think about what I want to do. Though being in NY, WDW is an easier travel but we'll see!

Many thanks for this. We are planning to visit DLR next year after six visits to WDW, so will be studying the information prior to leaving the UK :thumbsup2

Just read this for the second time (first was a few months ago, when DL was just a crazy idea in my head) Thank you so much for all of the helpful info.

My dad was sitting on my couch yesterday and gave me this look of wonder and said "I just can't imagine walking to the park from a hotel room... Can you even imagine it?" The look on his face was priceless. :goodvibes I can't wait!!

So many people keep questioning me b/c they've all heard that WDW is better. But, at WDW we stay offsite, we do a couple character meals but other than that CS, we're all about the parks. I've planned all of our trips in under 6 months and have never sat on the phone waiting for ADRs. We're not there for immersion, or a resort experience or fine dining, we're all about the parks. So, while it's great for people who vacation that way, it seems like DL might be better suited to how we like do the parks.

So excited! :wizard: And thanks again!

I have been to WDW more times than I can count starting in August 1972. This is my first stay at the DLR, and I am super excited. The idea of not having to ride a bus to get somewhere is thrilling. Plus, at WDW, because the parks have so many long walks built into them before you even get to anything, I am really looking forward to the smaller design of DL and CA. Of course, CL is the big draw for us! Is there anything I should definitely do to not miss out on this opportunity to experience this other Disney, the first Disney?

I have been to WDW more times than I can count starting in August 1972. This is my first stay at the DLR, and I am super excited. The idea of not having to ride a bus to get somewhere is thrilling. Plus, at WDW, because the parks have so many long walks built into them before you even get to anything, I am really looking forward to the smaller design of DL and CA. Of course, CL is the big draw for us! Is there anything I should definitely do to not miss out on this opportunity to experience this other Disney, the first Disney?

Since you say CL is a big draw, be sure to get to the gates early so that you can get into the RR que early. While the waits are not the multi-hours of a few months ago they can still be an hour or two so getting there early means you have a chance to ride it before the line become unweilding.

Also...if you don't have small children, I strongly recommend the single rider lane for RR.....even when the regular line was 2-3 hours long, the single rider would be about an hour wait. I really enjoy riding the rides WITH my teens, but for the shorter wait it was always worth it....we'd all get into the single rider line together so we could chat while we waited, but then the 5 minutes you're apart while each rides separately is SOOO worth not waiting longer.

Also, since you're in the area, be sure to stop by Flo's.....food is decent but the decor is really cute to check out...lots of little touches to look for.

Enjoy DL's Main Street; it has a different feel to it, a bit slower paced. And character encounters are more casual than at WDW.

DL's Fantasyland is pure joy with lots of attractions close to each other.

Pay careful attention to the windows and sides of buildings (especially in Frontierland) which acknowledge a number of important Disney individuals, including Disney Legends.

DL's POTC is superior to WDW's wonderful version: two drops, a bigger battle scenario and more to see.

And then there's DL's Indiana Jones! Similar in technology to AK's Dinosuar but with more lighting there's more to see.

Enjoy the magic!

All the best. :thumbsup2

Thank you! It is hard to wait. I don't want the days to zip by so we can get there, but...... It is always a weird feeling because you want to get there, but once you are there, it is always over too quickly! At least that is what happens at WDW. Maybe DLR has found a way to slow down time! Happy Holidays, everyone!

Well, this WDW vet is an official DLR convert now. I always thought of DLR as the older, worn out sister to WDW. Ha! Was I wrong! Frankly, our WDW trip this past summer was not so magical. Way too crowded, seemed to have lost its magic. But, this trip to DLR was so magical. Yes, it was crowded, but in a different way. It wasn't shoulder to shoulder,hang on to the kids before they get lost crowded. Also, the characters were everywhere just being characters! It was so much fun to just walk among the Country Bears at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree! Goofy was so much fun everywhere we saw him! Main Street was magical, too. You get a feeling of reverence for Walt at DLR. WDW seems to have lost some of that. And.....I loved being able to just walk out the door of the hotel and, voila, there you are at Downtown Disney or DL or CA!! No boats, buses, or monorails to wait for! Also, I loved the way there were different things in different shops. It made browsing so much fun. DLR was so magical. I want to go back next year. Thank you to everyone on this board who helped me plan my trip. It was the best, just like the WDW trips when I was a kid!

Well, this WDW vet is an official DLR convert now. I always thought of DLR as the older, worn out sister to WDW. Ha! Was I wrong!

Thank you, Lucysmom, for your great review! It's always great to hear from a new DLR convert who "gets" it.

I'd love to go! It seems like there are fewer good deals for DLR, is that true or does it just seem that way?

Carsland has been such a huge smash for DLR that the powers-that-be have figured out that they currently don't need to offer discounts to fill the rooms and parks. So yeah, unfortunately your perception is true. For now.

-Bob

Thank you for this great information. This is my first DL trip and someone suggested I read your post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter