A DISers Book Club!

Is it ok to plug www.paperbackswap.com on here? I joined a few months ago and have absolutely loved it. You get a credit every time you mail a book to someone else, then you can spend that credit to have a book sent to you. I've been able to clean out my shelves of things I'm not going to read again, and get some things that I've really been wanting to read. You have to pay to mail the book, which is usually $2.38 or a little more if the book is heavier. If you decide to join, you can use me as a referral and I will get a free credit once you post your first 10 books. Mods, if this crosses a line, please edit.

I live in a very small town, but my library can get me any hard cover or audio book that I want. I enter the building and feel the world is at my fingertips.

This is true in just about any library.
In most cases (but not all), your taxes pay for the library. You might as well get your money's worth from your taxes. The police and fire department are there when you need them, much better to need and use your library!

I'm completely hooked on audio books since with the orchard I can pretty much listen all day long!! No time in my life right now to pick up the printed word but audio has helped me knock out several stories. Right now I'm reading the Time Travelers Wife and loving it....great narration!

Lee Cockerell's Creating Magic was great to listen to in his own voice and I managed to get through both Ken Follet's Pillar's of the Earth and World Without End. Audio has let me "read" about 12 books since April!

Absolutly on pins and needles waiting for Diane Gabaldon's new book to hit stands.....no audio for that one....that one I must hold in my hands.

This is true in just about any library.
In most cases (but not all), your taxes pay for the library. You might as well get your money's worth from your taxes. The police and fire department are there when you need them, much better to need and use your library!

I so agree. We live in a small community (less than 20K). The library receives very little support from the state. There is a small tax levy that was specifically passed by the local community to support the library. DW is legally blind and needs large print and audio books. The local library is super about getting stuff to her. If they don't have the large print edition, they'll see if they can find it. If an audio is available, they'll try for that, too.

You'd think with all the requests DW bombs them with (she is a voracious reader) that the librarians would groan when they see her coming. Nope. When I go in by myself (without her), they always ask after her. It great.

DW also deals specifically with the state library commission (for the blind). In this era of budget cuts, we were startled when they emailed the other day and noted that she was an excellent patron. They offered her a Victor Reader, which replaces the 4 track tape player that had been previously used.

We have a Kindle and a subscription to audible. We're very lucky to have both - but we're even luckier to have such great librarians (and people who support the local library!)!

Give your local library a try - you may be surprised! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Time to read??? Who has time to read???

But because I have that Kindle app on my iPhone, I picked up The List today and sneakily started reading it at my day job...I'm several chapters into it and I'm intrigued!

Hope I find time to finish it. Love my Kindle app!

I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I'm very much enjoying it.

It's a very clever premise and I think it will find an audience.

I'd recommend it.

The List sounds interesting.
I hope it finds a publisher.

Again, technology has allowed things to happen. No pages printed, yet a book has found an audience!

I have rediscovered reading since someone talked me into trying Twilight :rolleyes1

I just finished "The Book of Negroes" which was our local "One Community One Book" where everyone is encouraged to read the same book and there are open discussions held throughout the Community. I haven't gone to a discussion, but I LOVED the book.

I am currently reading "Autobiography of a Wardrobe" by Elizabeth Kendall.
It's not bad, and definately different.

We have a Kindle and a subscription to audible. We're very lucky to have both - but we're even luckier to have such great librarians (and people who support the local library!)!

Give your local library a try - you may be surprised! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I believe we just got an audible account at work for the special education students. We purchased MP 3 players for them to take home with our class novels uploaded on them. It really helps them with their reading comprehension and fluency skills.

Fiished The List last night.

I enjoyed this one.

Cant decide whether to start The Help or Water for Elephants.

Currently Reading: Educating Alice: Adventures of a Curious Woman by Alice Steinbach. She's a woman who is traveling the world learning about things. She went to cooking school in Paris, a Jane Austen symposium and tour in England, took lessons in geisha culture, origami, and tea service in Japan. You get the idea. The concept is cool but the woman herself is a bit pretentious.

Kevin - I've read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I enjoyed it but felt it probably should have been two separate novels instead of one. I'm looking forward to the sequel because I really want to learn more about the actual Girl with the dragon tattoo!

I've also read Water for Elephants. It's a great book and gave me a lot of insight into what my Mom must be feeling now that she's living in a retirement home and isn't as involved with the kids as much as she used to be. Lots of food for thought plus it's just a genuine good story.

Loved Beach House by Jane Green! Such a sweet story - reminded me quite a lot of Rosamunde Pilcher's stories but with a modern flair.

I'm heading to the beach in a few weeks and plan to do nothing but read while I am there. In the queue:

Best Friends Forever
latest from Jennifer Weiner

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson (sequel to Case Histories which is awesome!)

The Man who Ate the World by Jay Raynor (the curly haired mean judge on Top Chef Masters

I just love books. :)

Educating Alice: Adventures of a Curious Woman sounds cool! I read Eat, Pray, & Love awhile back and it reminds me of it. I did not like that book too much though so I am hoping that this is much better.

I've been tempted to read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for awhile now. I keep seeing it every time I go to Borders.

I was not a fan of Eat, Pray Love!

Alice Steinbach has another book that I read years ago called Without Reservations: Travels of an Independant Woman.

Her books are good but for lack of a better way to phrase it, they remind me a little bit of schoolbooks. Almost like she's trying very hard to sound refined and important. Still, I enjoy them, because I would love to quit my day job and travel the world the way that she does.

The books also tell the tale of her somewhat strange, but sweet, romance with a Japanese man she meets in the first book. It's all very formal and seems almost too hard to believe, but I am charmed by it anyway. They write love letters to one another and that just seems like such a nice thing.

I'm just starting to read "The Shack" by Wm. Paul Young.
If it's good, I'll post back.
It was loned to me with high praise!

I'm just starting to read "The Shack" by Wm. Paul Young.
If it's good, I'll post back.
It was loned to me with high praise!

I have wanted to read that book for a while, but I was going to buy the audio book on iTunes rather than the actual book. Let us know how it is. I have heard a myriad of different things about the theology, the writing, blah blah blah. I don't know what is true.

I actually forgot to add what I call my "night book" which is a book I commit to reading a chapter before bed every night. This time it is Searching for God Know's What by Don Miller. I have actually been trying to finish it since December for no other reason than laziness. From what I have seen, he is possibly the best non-fiction writer I have ever seen anywhere. I'm pretty sure that if he and Kevin got into a "wit-off," Don would win. (Sorry, Kevin. I still love you)

Soooooo many books - so not enough time

I'm currently reading "Killer Weekend" by Ridley Pearson the first in a series of books. Next to read is "Killer View" and the new one just published is "Killer Summer" - basic mysteries

I just finished "Heat" bu Bill Buford - true story of his time working with Mario Batali and his time in Italy learning his craft.
Also, "Men of Salt" by Michael Benanav - true story of the salt trader's caravan in the Sahara desert.

Waiting in line to be read are: "Bridge of Sorrows" by Richard Russo (author of Empire Falls from the HBO special a few years back)
And "Loving Frank" by Nancy Horan - a story of a woman who has a love affair with Frank Lloyd Wright.

Just ordered and awaiting delivery:
"Waking Walt" by Larry Pontius - story of how WDW is going to pot and how a small group of true Walt followers find a way to unfreeze Walt and bring him back to set things right for the Disney company. ( Can't wait to start this one )
"Elsewhere" by William Peter Blatty (of Exorcist fame ) - story about exorcising a hotel I believe.

Oops, one more - paperback picked up at the grocery store : "Julie & Julia" - the movie looks funny - have to read the book first though

Waiting in line to be read are: "Bridge of Sorrows" by Richard Russo (author of Empire Falls from the HBO special a few years back)

The book "Empire Falls" came first, then the HBO special.

It was especially special because the movie was filmed here in Waterville and twenty miles away in Skowhegan. Many locals got bit parts and it was fun watching the local places in the film.

But this is not a film club, back to the book club.

I am looking forward to "That Old Cape Magic", Russo's next book.

I am reading The Help which as been on the best seller list. It is very good and very eye opening. And yes Keven Water for Elephants is a very good book.
Debbie

I was also going to recommend The Help. Deserves to be on the best-seller list. I also reallty enjoyed Water for Elephants. Right now I'm reading "The Fixer Upper" - just started it.

My husband and I listen to books on CD in the car, we're wallowing through The Gate House by Nelson DeMille. I usually like his books but this one is waay tooo long - We're on disk 10 of 18 (I think) and we're still waiting for something to happen. We'll finish it, but I'm not recommending it...

I also use the library alot. I have troube with my vison and can read but it takes effort so not as fun as it use to be so I order audiobooks online and the library tells me when they are at the library closest to me. The Help was great as an audiobook. The Ken Follett books Pillars of the Earth and World Without End had great narrators also all the Harry Potter books.

Way to go Kevin reading Janet Evanovich! The past few months I have read Janet's latest, Fingerlicking Fifteen. Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand - all her books are good and based in Nantucket (great beach books). I must say after watching Season One True Blood, I went back and read the first Charlene Harris book in the series.

Oh and I so contributed to the ecomony, I broke down and bought a Kindle- LOVE IT!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter