9/12 great article ! Who am I to say no to going to WDW?

You know, I need to get our countdown started. I just can't get motivated!

Help! I need motivation!!!!

We worked a bit today... but I honestly don't want to start it until we are around 80 days I think.

I totally know what you mean Laura. That is EXACTLY my struggle. I taught special ed for 8 years before the boys arrived. I cannot tell you how many meetings it was determined that the late birthday was the cause the of whatever it was that was troubling the child.

Doug's birthday is Aug. 5th. So, he would be one of the younger kids in his class. I had planned to just do the transitional kindergarten program that his preschool offers, but he really is overwhelming me lately (in a good way). He's got all his letters and letter sounds down (has for about a year) and is really working on his sight word vocab. I think he's got 30 to 40. Every sign he sees with under about 5 letters has become a sounding out project for him. He counts to 100 and is doing some adding and subtracting. I am worried about his social skills and the x factor that happens when he hits the upper el grades. We've got a parent teacher conference with his preschool teacher tomorrow and plan on spending most of it talking about this. It's such a big decision to make for someone so little. Mason really seems to encourage sending kids to kindergarten once they turn 5, so maybe I'll sneak him into your district's screener so I have one more puzzle piece.

I am totally that mad teacher too! This is totally what I was envisioning when you said it was going to be multi-step to include both kids!

Social skills are the tough one for boys... maturity--- I can think of so many who just could not make good decisions socially. I do not regret at all this year with Hannah... they are in school for long enough, I got my extra time with her.

I can't wait to see the countdown calendar!!!! I am that teacher nerd too, and it excites me to no end waiting to see what you have come up with. I'm on the edge of my seat!!!! ;o)

It really is so child-specific, though. We struggled with the same thing a couple of years ago. Trent's birthday is July 25th, and he's a tiny, tiny kid.
But he was so bored with preschool.
Kindergarten is all day, so it was a big decision.
He was a tiny bit shy at first in Kindergarten, but he soon got over that. So, no social issues.
he's now about to finish 1st grade. He's reading at the 3rd grade level, his teacher's words are "way ahead in math," and he's happy.
His biggest worry this year is that he's the only one who hasn't lost a tooth.
So, listen to what the screeners have to say, and go with mother's intuition.
My second child will be attending kindergarten next year. She was 5 in January, so there is no "close" issue on whether to send her, but I think she's less ready than her brother was. : )
She's just not that focused on anything! : )

Yay! We love countdown calendars. Can't wait to see it!

We just finished part one. I am assembling tonight during American Idol. We won't be removing anything for a bit though. However I think that Hannah will especially like it, as will Emily. Keep in mind, I let them make most the decisions, since they had to swipe the mickey heads with me.

I can't wait to see the countdown calendar!!!! I am that teacher nerd too, and it excites me to no end waiting to see what you have come up with. I'm on the edge of my seat!!!! ;o)

I actually changed my idea during our work today. I think though it will be a lot of fun for Hannah this way, plus she will get some practice.

We have the same problem. Jenny will be 5 on July 30th, but she was born a month early. So she should have been even closer to the cut off date. She has lots of social skills, but still naps everyday. We talked to her preschool teacher and she recommended Jenny do Kindergarten prep next year. There is no way around it. She would either be one of the youngest or the oldest. It helps her friends are twins and have the same time of birthdays and they are going to do prep too next year. Good luck!

We have the same problem. Jenny will be 5 on July 30th, but she was born a month early. So she should have been even closer to the cut off date. She has lots of social skills, but still naps everyday. We talked to her preschool teacher and she recommended Jenny do Kindergarten prep next year. There is no way around it. She would either be one of the youngest or the oldest. It helps her friends are twins and have the same time of birthdays and they are going to do prep too next year. Good luck!

I said I would never go through a decision about a summer birthday kid again... and then came Luke. He is IMO a no brainer.... the youngest and a boy- he won't go until he is almost 6 for sure.

I need to hear more about "swiping" the Mickey heads.....:lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Home Depot probably laughed at us on tape on Monday..... we have too many Mickey Heads. I had hoped to finish the calendar tonight, but I have school, two checkups (Luke and Em) then back to school for conferences tomorrow---- a bit of a crazy day to say the least!

We did Doug's conference at school yesterday. I hope your conferences are quick and painless!

We just finished part one. I am assembling tonight during American Idol. We won't be removing anything for a bit though. However I think that Hannah will especially like it, as will Emily. Keep in mind, I let them make most the decisions, since they had to swipe the mickey heads with me.

I actually changed my idea during our work today. I think though it will be a lot of fun for Hannah this way, plus she will get some practice.

Can't wait to hear the swiping story!!! I am looking forward to seeing your changes on your countdown.....since Megs and Hannah are nearly the same age and at the same stage with schooling, I think I might have to sneak some great ideas from you for our calendar this year----she loves anything that has to do with "schoolwork/homework!" She can't wait until she REALLY has schoolwork!!! :goodvibes

My Megs was delivered two and half months early on September 29th. They (the school system) tried to tell me that we HAD to start her a year earlier than we wanted to because her birthday was before the cut off date---October 1st!!! I held my ground though and firmly told them there was no way we were starting her until the next year because had we been able to prevent her delivery just TWO MORE DAYS we would have never even had that discussion!!! I can't TELL you how happy I am that I held my ground---that extra year home has been SO worth it in my opinion. There was no way I was going to set her up to be the smallest and youngest in the class....much rather her be the oldest and more advanced. She fits in perfectly with the kids she is with---and she is not even nearly the tallest or biggest kid!

Home Depot probably laughed at us on tape on Monday..... we have too many Mickey Heads. I had hoped to finish the calendar tonight, but I have school, two checkups (Luke and Em) then back to school for conferences tomorrow---- a bit of a crazy day to say the least!

Can you only imagine what they thought at HD---they have to know by now that there is something up with the Mickey Heads!!! :rotfl:

We had conferences last month, boy was I glad to have those long days over with!

It was crazy busy day... just one more day till the weekend!

I look forward to seeing pictures of the count down calendar. Good luck at conferences today.

It will get finished I hope this weekend.... unless I have sick kids...

We did Doug's conference at school yesterday. I hope your conferences are quick and painless!

They are never painless... you always worry as the teacher I have found!

Can't wait to hear the swiping story!!! I am looking forward to seeing your changes on your countdown.....since Megs and Hannah are nearly the same age and at the same stage with schooling, I think I might have to sneak some great ideas from you for our calendar this year----she loves anything that has to do with "schoolwork/homework!" She can't wait until she REALLY has schoolwork!!! :goodvibes

My Megs was delivered two and half months early on September 29th. They (the school system) tried to tell me that we HAD to start her a year earlier than we wanted to because her birthday was before the cut off date---October 1st!!! I held my ground though and firmly told them there was no way we were starting her until the next year because had we been able to prevent her delivery just TWO MORE DAYS we would have never even had that discussion!!! I can't TELL you how happy I am that I held my ground---that extra year home has been SO worth it in my opinion. There was no way I was going to set her up to be the smallest and youngest in the class....much rather her be the oldest and more advanced. She fits in perfectly with the kids she is with---and she is not even nearly the tallest or biggest kid!

Can you only imagine what they thought at HD---they have to know by now that there is something up with the Mickey Heads!!! :rotfl:

Jen... I think the Calendar will be good for Megs too!

We did the Dr... but I think today Emily has a bug, so I am a bit worried about who is next and where it is from. We will have to see what the next days look like. I am also sure we will be watching tons of basketball and I have a college student for the next two weeks at school so I need to get ready for that too.... it is super crazy!

It's MARCH MADNESS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!! Literally, huh?!?!?!?

It's MARCH MADNESS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!! Literally, huh?!?!?!?

I really think that it won't slow down for a while.... Monday is super busy- swim, softball, preschool, kindergarten screening, working the wrong part of the day... I have a long crazy list of things to do this weekend too. Hopefully I don't forget to make our ADRs-- :rotfl2:

Gosh, things move fast around here. First, happy birthday to Em, a little late. Good luck with your ADRs Monday! I'll be on the phone Tuesday. ITA re: keeping younger kids back. My oldest had a late October birthday, and even though Michigan has a Dec. 1 cutoff (crazy, right?) we didn't hesitate at all to wait that extra year. Our middle child (a 3rd grader, btw) has an Aug. b-day, and we anguished over whether to send her at 5. We sent her because she's very bright, but near the end of the year her teacher, who I respect immensely, suggested that she attend T-1 (transitional first grade) the following year since she was doing very well with academic measures but had a lot of young behaviors. We agreed and am very glad she got an extra year, but regret not just holding her out of kindgergarten for that extra year. Hope you have an extra fun, RELAXING, weekend. Sounds like you could use some down time. :goodvibes

Don't forget to PM me all your information so I can send the postcard to the kids.

I'm also sending to Declan (declansdad and pooksma) and Lexi (CanadianWDWfan), both in Canada. Does anyone know anything about postage to Canada, as far as if I do anything different? declansdad said he didn't know - thought maybe you add an extra stamp or something. We both feel like Concierge will be able to tell me everything I need to know, if I don't find out before then. Has anyone else sent postcards to Canada from WDW, and if so, can you give me some insight?

Gosh, things move fast around here. First, happy birthday to Em, a little late. Good luck with your ADRs Monday! I'll be on the phone Tuesday. ITA re: keeping younger kids back. My oldest had a late October birthday, and even though Michigan has a Dec. 1 cutoff (crazy, right?) we didn't hesitate at all to wait that extra year. Our middle child (a 3rd grader, btw) has an Aug. b-day, and we anguished over whether to send her at 5. We sent her because she's very bright, but near the end of the year her teacher, who I respect immensely, suggested that she attend T-1 (transitional first grade) the following year since she was doing very well with academic measures but had a lot of young behaviors. We agreed and am very glad she got an extra year, but regret not just holding her out of kindgergarten for that extra year. Hope you have an extra fun, RELAXING, weekend. Sounds like you could use some down time. :goodvibes

Well so far not much relaxing... we ran errands like mad today, did picture retakes (totally cute!!!!!!) and now I am in the midst of laundry-- I only did baby laundry this week so I am paying dearly now!

Monday for your ADRs, right?

We discussed ADRs tonight at dinner- it was just DH, Luke and I. I ran my plan A, and then the other scenarios past DH. He actually seemed pleased by what I am planning... I expected him to drop some bomb on the plans. My dad did speak up about some restaurants, so we have our list ready for Monday!

Don't forget to PM me all your information so I can send the postcard to the kids.

I'm also sending to Declan (declansdad and pooksma) and Lexi (CanadianWDWfan), both in Canada. Does anyone know anything about postage to Canada, as far as if I do anything different? declansdad said he didn't know - thought maybe you add an extra stamp or something. We both feel like Concierge will be able to tell me everything I need to know, if I don't find out before then. Has anyone else sent postcards to Canada from WDW, and if so, can you give me some insight?

I sent it... thanks so much. I have never sent one to Canada, but I am sure the CM will know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter