8 1/2 month old - share ur experiences?

tmarquez

DIS Veteran
I've been to WDW about a zillion times, but never with a baby. This July we are going for 5 days with my daughter who will be 8 1/2 months old when we go. We are staying in a Wilderness Cabin. Please share your experiences so I know what I'm in for! Thanks so much.

Hi, Dec 2001 our DD was 8 1/2 months old (a few weeks before Christmas) It was my hubby and mine 6th trip, but our DD 1st. It was a whole new expernce for us. One thing that worked out really well for us was our stroller, it was one of those back pack strollers from Instep. It was a life saver, she was just the right age and size for it and it is small and easy on the busses. Also it was wonderful for when the parks were crowded or they didn't allow strollers. I remember one day we had to leave MK, but it was at 3:00 and the pararde was going on. We changed the stroller into a back pack and walked right out with no problem, and she got to she the parade from dad's back.

Use the baby chaning stations for breaks when you need them, but not to nurse everytime. (we were nursing, I found that much easier then bottles, you always had fresh food with you at all times!)

She rode all the rides with no height restration and had a good time. We baby swapped on other rides.

They sell baby food at all parks, but bring what you know they like with you, along with cherrios and other good foods for babies. Make sure you have enough dipars, it really cost to buy them there. Also bring some swim dipars.

Most important, keep the pace and what you do acourding to the babies needs and you will be fine.

We took our first sone when he was almost 1 yr. We didn't have any problems and took him on everything we could(he pretty much feel asleep on all rides that had air conditioning) We went back 2 years later with our then 2 year old and 1 1/2 year old twins. This was alot harder since we are out numbered. We are going back this year and the kids are going to be 3 1/2/ and 2 2 1/2 year olds. The bigest piece of advice I can give is just to take things slow and enjoy yourself.

Take advantage of the baby changing stations, they are great just to get out of the crowds and heat. Let them get out and just put their feet in the fountains at Epcot. We have the best time and I think it is a great place to go with kids of all ages. No worrying about kids screaming at meals because everyone is doing the same thing.

Good Luck

We just got back from a short trip with our 9 month old (you can see my trip report on the TR board, and restaurant reviews on the R board). DH and I have been there together once, but never with a baby. We had an absolutely wonderful time. I know so many people said "isn't she too young?" or "she won't remember it". So what! I have tons of pictures and video, and DH and I have memories to last our lifetime and hers! So don't let anyone discourage you.

My DD is on formula. I bought a powdered milk container which I thought was a great idea. You might want to try that, got it at One Step Ahead's website. But we ended up using ready-made formula that came in small 8oz. cans, so we didn't have to drag a cooler or worry about it spoiling. It worked out wonderfully. I would strongly recommend taking advantage of the Baby Care Stations. The CM's are wonderful there, and there were like 5 changing tables, room for baby to crawl, and highchairs for feedings. We visited these several times at the parks, and to us it was not too much of a hassle.

As for the rides, I think you are able to carry the baby onto rides that have no height requirement. However, we only rode Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Small World. DD was a little scared at first on HM and Pirates, but she just held onto me or her daddy tight. She didn't cry. I don't know how your baby might react. She loved Small World. We only did the Baby Swap once, on Space Mountain.

They are good about providing high chairs at all the restaurants we visited. We stayed at the CR for one night, and provided us with a crib which was fine.

I especially loved my Stroller tote, which I also bought from One Step Ahead. It attaches to the handlebar, so no fussing with digging a bag out of the stroller. We also brought our own stroller, which reclined all the way down. Perfect for baby taking naps and she slept well in it. I also had a Baby Bjorn, for when she got fussy in the stroller. DH and I loved that. We stopped frequently to take breaks and give her water because it was so hot.

I just recommend you take your time, go with a pace the baby is comfortable with and enjoy your trip! We didn't get to do all the things we usually do but we had time to stop and smell the roses. IT was relaxing, and definitely a wonderful experience taking our daughter to WDW. I"m sure you'll have a great time.

We took our DS for the first time when he was 9mo for the Millenium. We brought our own stroller and a back pack carrier. We had a 8 adult to one baby ratio, so I wasn't worried about carrying too much "baby stuff". I actually used formula for him and filled several bottles with water before we went to the park. I also used one of those formula keepers that has the divided sections where you can pre-measure the powder. I was less expensive than ready made formula and still convenient.

We also took him on just about every ride with out a height restriction. Do a character meal if you can.....I have great pictures of him meeting all the characters. And he enjoys looking at them now at age 4.

You have gotten great advice so far. I would also like to add a few things. You said you will be there in July, I'm sure you are aware of how hot it will be. I would suggest lots of sunscreen for baby and don' forget to put some on your babies feet!;)
Also a hat and cool loose fitting clothes. I've seen somewhere that there is a stroller attatchment that is a fan. Or you can buy one of those mister fans which feels great in the heat!

We took our DD on her first trip when she was 9mo. It was great. We have so many wonderful memories and great pictures and video. She is now 5yo and has been 5 times and will be showing her lil brother around on our next trip, he will be 7mo.

You just have to take your time with a baby, don't over do it.
Do bring your own stroller that reclines. The resorts are quite big and this helps getting around easier with your own stroller. A carrier is great for waiting in line. Our DD rode everything without a height requirement and was just in awe at all the lights and colors. She also fell asleep in alot of the darker rides, like HM and Spaceship Earth.
Have a great time seeing WDW through the eyes of your child!! It really is priceless:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter