• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5th Wheel or Class A...and why?

I was just re reading thru these and you mentioned a golf cart ?????
here is a new thought you could go with a TT then the cart could go inthe bed of the truck SORRY if this makes more confusion but something to think about we have a cougar 295 it is setup like a 5er inside just no step up to get into the bedroom area and the shower is one of those angle type so even a 230 lb man like myself can shower with no problem it has the 2 chairs in the rear with big windows the dinnette makes a bed and the couch pulls out into a queen size bed so if you have guest there is room for others

Agian sorry for putting a monkey wrench into the works but this may be a option you can consider also good luck and hopefully you can find the right match for you

I was just re reading thru these and you mentioned a golf cart ?????
here is a new thought you could go with a TT then the cart could go inthe bed of the truck SORRY if this makes more confusion but something to think about we have a cougar 295 it is setup like a 5er inside just no step up to get into the bedroom area and the shower is one of those angle type so even a 230 lb man like myself can shower with no problem it has the 2 chairs in the rear with big windows the dinnette makes a bed and the couch pulls out into a queen size bed so if you have guest there is room for others

Agian sorry for putting a monkey wrench into the works but this may be a option you can consider also good luck and hopefully you can find the right match for you

Or, you can get a MoHo and a tandem tow dolly... this is my dream rig! A medium size MoHo (35' Pace Arrow?), a cart on a tandem tow, and a small dinghy (maybe a RAV).

01.jpg

Just to stir the muddy waters! LOL

....I have fallen in love with a 2009 Cameo by Carriage, but since we will have to buy a new truck too, I think it might be out of our price range. It had really nice leather chairs, an island in the kitchen, granite countertops, a fireplace, etc... It was gorgeous! ....
Way cool, that was the model we traded in for our MH. :thumbsup2

Toy hauler. You can bring everything. We had a fifth wheel and went to a bumper pull toy hauler . I can put 2 golf carts inside and still have the bed of my truck to haul other stuff.

I know this question was about the differences in a 5er and MH but I noticed many have mentioned they had TT's also. I am curious as to what moved you to a 5er or MH or what it is you felt was lacking in a trailer? We are looking into retiring in 4 years and are looking at all this now. We did buy a Trailer, for in between, but are looking for any input from those who have been down this road.
Thanks

Went from TT to 5er for several reasons. One ceiling height. Our Ti is 2 1/2' taller than our TT. That makes for so much more light and openness. More of a home feeling. Second, towing. Towing a 5er so so much better. Totally no sway. We had several white knuckle rides with our TT. With our Ti, we have an extra 4' that comes up over the truck cab, so we actually have a 29' 5er that tows like a 24' one. That extra length is great! Also, remember that a 29' 5er is really 29', but a 29' TT is actually 26' because they count the trailer tongue that takes up 3' of unlivable space. If you're going to retire and live in something a 5er is definitely the most livable rig. Would never trade my baby for anything (except a bigger Ti!) :love:

GO FOR THE A CLASS....ITS THE PERFECT SET UP!!

Keep in mind my wife and I have 2 kids, and pull a 12' tent trailer right now...but when I retire baby this CANUCK is spending his winters in the lovely US of A in nothing but an A class towing a nice SUV behind it....and hopefully spending lots of time at the FORT.....mmmmmmmm.....retirement.

I know this question was about the differences in a 5er and MH but I noticed many have mentioned they had TT's also. I am curious as to what moved you to a 5er or MH or what it is you felt was lacking in a trailer? We are looking into retiring in 4 years and are looking at all this now. We did buy a Trailer, for in between, but are looking for any input from those who have been down this road.
Thanks

The reason that we are not considering a TT, is because we have a good friend that has a TT and he recommended that we don't go that route. He said that he has difficulty towing his TT with his Ford F-250. He said that his next RV will be a 5th wheel. The reason we can't decide between the two is because we have seen a lot of MHs that we liked and we currently don't have a big truck like we will need to tow the 5th wheel. We're still trying to decide!

Or, you can get a MoHo and a tandem tow dolly... this is my dream rig! A medium size MoHo (35' Pace Arrow?), a cart on a tandem tow, and a small dinghy (maybe a RAV).

01.jpg

Just to stir the muddy waters! LOL

I just spoke to my daughter and asked her if we could borrow her new RAV if we got the Pace Arrow...for some reason she said no (she just bought the car yesterday)! I told her that you said it was your dream rig, but she still refused! LOL! Oh well, I guess I need to keep on shopping!

Hi----We bought a used 5th wheel and really love it--although we usually have 2-3 kids with us when we camp and need the bunk space. We like being able to tow it and have the truck to go places in. Currently we have a 1992 F-250 2 door and I have to follow my husband around in our minivan wherever we go. Our camper weighs 7,400 lbs and can hold an additional 1,700 lbs of weight fully loaded. We like the 10ft ceilings and the layout of our 5th wheel. There are less mechanicals to worry about on the 5th wheel and we need a truck anyway. We are now in the market for a newer truck that is 4 door, diesel and a dually. Driving around in the mountains would be easier! A lot of couples buy a class A, but you have to do what you feel is right for you. If you find a 5th wheel you really like and it just have that feel of home to it--then buy it. If you find a class A that has that feel to it, then buy it. I swore i would never buy a used camper, but when we stepped into this one, it felt like it was meant to me and we fell in love with it right then and there and we still love it. You'll know it when you walk into it, around in it and sit on the couch---you'll know that it's meant to be.

Can't say why your friend with the f 250 has problems with his TT swaying but i have had 2 different TT's pulled by a 1500 2wd dodge then a 2500 2wd dodge the first TT was a springdale with bunks and weight about 6000 dry never had a problem but i had a weght distributing hitch with sway control then i bought a 05 cougar which i pulled with the 2500 dodge for a year then a 1500 4wd dodge all with the same hitch setup never had a sway problem just went to the Fort from NJ in Oct no sway even with the 1500 dodge i would ask what type of hitch he has does he have weight dist and sway control??????

i would ask what type of hitch he has does he have weight dist and sway control??????

I know that they tow their TT up into the mountains a lot and they have had several TTs over the years (they are lifelong campers). They just recommended a 5th wheel to us and said that they are easier to tow. I know that the TT that they have now is huge, so maybe the length has something to do with it.

As of right now, we have decided to go with a 5th wheel. My biggest problem is that every time I start looking online, I find one that I like more than the one before! I don't think I will ever be able to decide!

Take a look at Glendale Titanium. You get "extra" length because of the cab-over design, floor plans are great if you don't need a lot of sleeping space for a large family. We love ours...tows like a dream!

You can go here: http://www.titaniumrvowners.com/ and ask any questions you may have. :lovestruc

Yes it can be tough to choose you have to just go in the camper try everything stand in the shower sit on the tiolet look at where the tv goes is there a place to sit and enjoy it on those rainy days make sure you love it its like a house you bring with you If your happy and it works then its the one just make sure your tow rig can handle the trailer weight at max load plus don't forget what you put in the tow vechicle it all counts toward that weight if you have extra people or load it with extra's they can add up quick and this can make any vechicle become a white nuckle trip up and down the highway best of luck and it sounds like you are doing your homework so you should do fine

Take a look at Glendale Titanium. You get "extra" length because of the cab-over design, floor plans are great if you don't need a lot of sleeping space for a large family. We love ours...tows like a dream!

You can go here: http://www.titaniumrvowners.com/ and ask any questions you may have. :lovestruc

I checked out the Titanium RVs and really like them. The closest dealership for us is almost 200 miles away. If I decide to go with a Titanium, I will need to try to find a used one. Thanks for the link.

DH found ours on e-bay. It was at a dealer in GA and we drove from OH to pick it up. The let us camp for a couple days to try it out and fixed any bugs we found. The price was too good to pass up and the GA dealer was wonderful to work with. Friends found one on e-bay that was in IN and they drove from OH ( a little closer) and another friend found one in NC (he also drove from OH). Just keep looking and things will work out with whatever brand you decide on. Good luck!

I bought my MoHo on eBay and drove from NC to OK! The price was that much less than I could get it for locally though, so it was worth it. I am not recommending this approach, but encouraging you to keep your options open, and to say that driving 200 miles to get the right rig at the right price is really not too unreasonable (in my book... which admittedly is authored by a very silly man)!

DH found ours on e-bay. It was at a dealer in GA and we drove from OH to pick it up. The let us camp for a couple days to try it out and fixed any bugs we found. The price was too good to pass up and the GA dealer was wonderful to work with. Friends found one on e-bay that was in IN and they drove from OH ( a little closer) and another friend found one in NC (he also drove from OH). Just keep looking and things will work out with whatever brand you decide on. Good luck!
Which dealership did you get yours at? We live just outside of Atlanta. There is actually a 5th wheel on ebay right now that I have been watching for two days...it is just beautiful though!!! I want it bad!!! But I am just really hesitant to buy it since I have never seen it up close and personal. The auction is ending in less than an hour, but we aren't going to bid on it. It is about $7000 cheaper than any place else online. Of course, that is where the bidding is starting, but so far no one has bid on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter