5inch LCD or 9inch TV/VCR

domino

Earning My Ears
Hi everybody,

We are driving down to Disney at the end of July with 2 young children. We are looking into buying either a 5inch LCD monitor with VCR (a funTV) or a 9inch Sylvania TV/VCR combo to keep the children occupied during the drive. The price is not really a factor since the 5inch is on sale right now at Canadian Tire for 396$ and the 9inch sells for 348$ + the Steel Horse support for approx. 80$. What we are questioning is the quality of the image, 5inch being (from my husband point of view) a lot smaller than 9inch. The sales clerk at Canadian Tire told us that the 5inch being a LCD screen projects a better and clearer image than the 9inch TV and gives you the impression of watching the equivalent of a 13inch TV. She also said that the reflection of the sun on the TV doesn't give you a clear image like the LCD screen does. But then one is a TV that you can use anywhere and the other one is only a VCR.

Help!!! Can somebody help us make a decision!!! :confused:

Shoot....I'm wrestling with the same issues. Cost is my main consideration. Walmart has a tv/vcr combo 13" ac/dc for $248 reg price. I would have to buy a special plug, I think they are about $80. We are driving to Ohio in a couple weeks, so I'd like to get one before that trip. I can't help you, but I'll join your quest for answers! S

Hi Sandra,

I found a 13inch TV/VCR with DC adapter included at Costco for 249$. So before buying the one at Walmart I would check around for a 13inch with an adapter included. Before I realized that it didn't fit in my car, I only have 12 inches between the front seats, I had looked around for a 13inch and found quite a few with adapter included.

Have a good trip to Ohio!

We have a Olds/Sillohette (Premier edition) that comes with a T.V/VCR.Apart from the occasional long drives to WDW...my kids NEVER watch it!
Make sure it's worth the investment and you travel a lot by car for long journeys. The novelty quickly wears off!
Also, remember the picture is not that great to view until dusk so daytime watching is not always that clear even with tinted windows.Just a thought!:D

Thank you minnie56. We have decide to get the FunTv with the LCD screen even if it's only a 5inch screen. The main reason being that since it's a plasma screen you can see really good during the day even when it's sunny, something that you won't get with a regular TV.

I just asked my husband what kind of screen I have, it too is a LCD screen.
My kids are probably exxagerating the problem, as I have never really watched anything on it! I'm usually driving!
Enjoy!!:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter