$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way: 17 nights, 26 ADRs, 165 TS credits, 4 Disney events

Okay, I fell behind a little bit from my vacation, but I'm getting caught up now!

Saratoga is a great resort. We stayed there in January. :goodvibes We ended up in the Springs too, which is just the best location. In that exact building you were in. :thumbsup2

The one saving grace to Beaches and Cream is that the arcade is right next door. Gives you something to do while you waste the time. They did change the policy now though and are taking ADR's.

I honestly can't do deluxe dining. It's just sooooo much food for me. :rotfl2:

That stinks about Rockin' Roller Coaster! I'm really glad that it opened up and were able to get on!

We ate at Flying Fish on our last trip, and it really is not the most child friendly. I had noticed that right away.

I had the steak there and was disappointed by it as well. My favorite steak is from the Yachtsman by far.

From one of the pictures you posted, I'm thinking your Mom might have gotten the potato wrapped red snapper. It was in the background of the picture of Willum's food. That entree is really tasty.

The F&W festival is one of our favorite times of year to go. I just love the atmosphere and all of the small sampling options.

Ooo, your vegetarian dish from Garden Grill looks absolutely scrumptious! I do eat meat, but I don't like a lot of it. The restaurant has always intrigued me because of the variety, so part of me hopes to one day try it! It seems a lot less pretentious than some of the other places on property and looks like it'd provide a better experience for my husband and me because we're a bit more laidback. I'm glad you had a better experience than at Flying Fish!

What great photos of Epcot. I think I will like Japan also! There is a store called Daiso where I live, it's like a Japanese Dollar Store. Super cheap and quirky Japanese stuff. I could spend hours there browsing.

I really enjoyed your review of Garden Grill, like you said it must not be as popular because I haven't heard much about it.

Sounds like a great Epcot day and I'm so pleased your GG meal was lovely :goodvibes

I've booked the UK Illuminations viewing for our trip too, last time I did it we went to ride TT instead so hopefully this time we'll actually use it :rotfl:

Planet Hollywood and the Incident of Stereotypical Tipping

On this holiday, we made a ‘pact’ of sorts to make every third day a ‘rest day’, where no park was really planned and we could have the opportunity to spend the whole day at the resort by the pool or engaging in other recreational activities.

DSC_0840_zpscfbc6818.jpg

This day, we had no breakfast planned... only an early lunch at Planet Hollywood for around 11am. We had a lovely lie-in and walked down to the boat dock to get a lift to Downtown Disney. It was incredibly convenient!

DSC_0736_zps687dabed.jpg

We always know when Rory gets hold of the camera because of the angles of the photos! He just snaps away without us noticing, so these pictures make us laugh.

DSC_0738_zps3e68500c.jpg

DSC_0741_zps5dab1fd2.jpg

DSC_0745_zps27f0aebb.jpg

It was a lovely, leisurely ride, and we surprisingly arrived with time to spare, so my brother and dad insisted we check out the Harley Davidson shop. We got photos of us on the bike in 2011 so it was nice to continue the tradition!

DSC_0762_zps6c4f4637.jpg

DSC_0751_zpsa9aacb8e.jpg

DSC_0757_zpsb42cf15f.jpg

DSC_0759_zps9b31f53d.jpg

We then headed over to Planet Hollywood- after initially heading in the wrong direction- and checked in. It was incredibly quiet and we were seated almost right away. I was surprised at how few people were dining there, but I presume it was due to it being lunchtime, and also potentially not a very popular restaurant in WDW.

DSC_0787_zpsc93861be.jpg

Our server tried hard to be attentive, but it was so quiet it wasn’t really a credit to him- they were standing around just waiting for something to do! This was when the trouble started. After finding out we were on the Deluxe Dining Plan, he must have seen the tip potential. He started pushing us to order five appetisers, because we were a family of five. Clearly we didn’t want five, and I sensed he was trying to push his tip up.

After five minutes of him insisting on ordering more appetisers and trying to make each one sound tempting, we felt very uncomfortable. We persisted in saying we wanted two... not five. Eventually he gave up, but it is not pleasant at all to be pressured like that.

I’m not quite sure what the names of our appetisers were, but both were OK- typical comfort food I guess. Two appetisers were plenty for us. We want the DDP for convenience- not to pinch every last bit of value out of it.

DSC_0764_zps7b333da0.jpg

DSC_0766_zps79b20faf.jpg

Time for a quick mid-appetiser photo! Say cheese!

DSC_0776_zps5f7ba65e.jpg

I didn’t want much, so Rory and I swapped DDP entitlements. He ordered an adults’ meal and I had his kids’ pizza. It was fine as far as cheese pizzas go- nothing spectacular.

DSC_0788_zps87d9b114.jpg

My dad got this interesting looking burger- although I am not quite sure what it is called! He thought it was nice, but not anything special.

DSC_0792_zps0714e9f1.jpg

My mum got the...

DSC_0794_zpsc6c251f6.jpg

Pasta Carbonara

Smoked bacon, peas and garlic tossed with parmesan cream sauce and cavatappi pasta.

Cost: $16.99

In comparison to some of the other pasta dishes she tasted in Disney restaurants, she wasn’t impressed. I think it was a little bland and plastic-like.

William had a burger, although asked for it to be simplified.

DSC_0797_zps96552869.jpg

He liked this too, but got a bit burger-ed out at this point after a week or so of eating burgers! He told me it was average as far as burgers go, but still quite tasty.

I think Rory had the...

DSC_0803_zps624cdc0e.jpg

Classic Burger

A choice 7 oz. burger with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle.

Cost: $13.99

Only Willum and I wanted dessert and we decided to get the large Chocolate Cake for Two. Instead of two scoops of vanilla ice-cream, we requested one vanilla scoop and one chocolate scoop. It was tasty and very rich, but we still preferred the wonderful sundae at the Plaza and its scrumptious counterpart at Beaches and Cream. We were able to order a dessert for two by using both mine and my brother’s entitlements on the DDP.

DSC_0812_zpsa19dcba2.jpg

Of course, our waiter pushed for us to use all our entitlements, but my dad firmly insisted no. He then went off with my brother William to look at the exhibits around the restaurant in further detail. Unfortunately this put my mum in a very awkward position- she absolutely hates tipping. My dad had been finalising tips for the whole holiday so my mum was stuck on what to do. When the waiter delivered our bill, I felt incredibly insulted, as did my mum. He said to us;

“Your copy of the bill is under the tipping card. If you want it then just take it out from under the tipping card.”

Naturally, the tipping card was for international visitors. It stated along the lines of...
“In America, tipping is generally considered to be 18% for solid service, or 20% for good service.”

He then said to us “you need to fill in my copy of the bill so I can register the tip... so fill in either of those spaces (as in 18% or 20%) and use the tipping card to help you” followed by a “once you’re done you can take your copy of the bill from under the tipping card.”

The fact that he put so much pressure on us was ridiculous. He’d highlighted on the bill we had to fill in the ‘recommended’ tips of 18% and 20% and put big stars next to each. We were absolutely insulted. We tip well in America and to be patronized in this way was absurd. Other restaurants that did put the tipping card in didn’t mention it at all, and absolutely no restaurants highlighted recommended tips.

Clearly he heard our accents and feared we wouldn’t tip him well, but with his pushy attitude both with ordering as much food as we could and with literally forcing us into a high tip, he absolutely offended us. I know wages are so low, but tips are still optional and should be a kind gesture for good service.

Overall, the food was OK, and the whole reason we visited Planet Hollywood was for my dad, who absolutely loves looking at all the movie memorabilia. If you are into movies and their memorabilia then Planet Hollywood is great to do as a one-off. My dad loved it so much in 2011 we had to return this trip in 2013!

The major downer of the meal was the dreadful attitude and behaviour of the waiter. My mum was distressed and ended up tipping him 18%, but I regret that. We should have left without tipping him at all!

Overall Ratings

Service: 1
Food: 4
Atmosphere: 8
Value: 7

Overall Rating: 3 (Including waiter) or 6-7 (excluding waiter)

Okay, I fell behind a little bit from my vacation, but I'm getting caught up now! Saratoga is a great resort. We stayed there in January. :goodvibes We ended up in the Springs too, which is just the best location. In that exact building you were in. :thumbsup2 The one saving grace to Beaches and Cream is that the arcade is right next door. Gives you something to do while you waste the time. They did change the policy now though and are taking ADR's. I honestly can't do deluxe dining. It's just sooooo much food for me. :rotfl2: That stinks about Rockin' Roller Coaster! I'm really glad that it opened up and were able to get on! We ate at Flying Fish on our last trip, and it really is not the most child friendly. I had noticed that right away. I had the steak there and was disappointed by it as well. My favorite steak is from the Yachtsman by far. From one of the pictures you posted, I'm thinking your Mom might have gotten the potato wrapped red snapper. It was in the background of the picture of Willum's food. That entree is really tasty. The F&W festival is one of our favorite times of year to go. I just love the atmosphere and all of the small sampling options.

I am glad you liked Saratoga Springs!! It isn't widely spoken about I guess due to its theming and location, but I do love it. Funny we were in the same building!

That's good to know about Beaches and Cream now accepting reservations, although that does limit spontaneity.

Deluxe dining is great in many ways, but I'd never pay in full for it! I agree with you about the sheer amount of food! That's very vigilant of you to notice my mum's entree- thanks for that! I'll have to update the post. Seems we have similar experiences as the Yachstman Steakhouse really stood out to us!

Ah, F&W is great, only the deluxe dining plan really limited us because we were too full to get many of the samplers! ;) I love that it's available for a snack credit, making it way more accessible. :)

Ooo, your vegetarian dish from Garden Grill looks absolutely scrumptious! I do eat meat, but I don't like a lot of it. The restaurant has always intrigued me because of the variety, so part of me hopes to one day try it! It seems a lot less pretentious than some of the other places on property and looks like it'd provide a better experience for my husband and me because we're a bit more laidback. I'm glad you had a better experience than at Flying Fish!

It's definitely worth a try, especially if you are into experiencing unique things and meeting characters. The food is pretty autumnal and fresh, too. It just had a totally different vibe to FFC, but there were other families there so that really made it more comfortable for us. :)

Looks like a great time was had by all at Garden Grill :thumbsup2 Love the pic of your dad and pluto :rotfl:

A fabulous time- and I love that photo too! Pluto is his favourite character, although he doesn't like to admit he likes Disney! Every meal with Pluto I had my dad get a photo taken with him- that and Snow White! :rotfl:

What great photos of Epcot. I think I will like Japan also! There is a store called Daiso where I live, it's like a Japanese Dollar Store. Super cheap and quirky Japanese stuff. I could spend hours there browsing. I really enjoyed your review of Garden Grill, like you said it must not be as popular because I haven't heard much about it.

Thank you! Daiso sounds great- very unique! We have Chinatown in London for Chinese things but it isn't remarkably cheap! I think you'll love the Japan pavilion, although compared to the prices in Daiso you might be a little shocked. I paid $15 for a little hair comb. Some things are cheaper than others, luckily.

It's a shame it's not as popular, but Garden Grill is certainly one of my favourites. It's so unique regarding location.

Sounds like a great Epcot day and I'm so pleased your GG meal was lovely :goodvibes I've booked the UK Illuminations viewing for our trip too, last time I did it we went to ride TT instead so hopefully this time we'll actually use it :rotfl:

It was lovely, thank you! You should definitely try the Illuminations viewing area- there was only one other family there when we went- and the view was absolutely fantastic. Everyone else was fighting the crowds for a spot and we had a really nice reserved space! :)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Garden Grill I have heard raved about, on the boards, my friends and now your family. Have never made it there, and won't be able to again on this trip. It is not mentioned often, but when it is it is overwhelmingly positive. Maybe when we go next time we can stop by. Right now, we are just trying to figure out how to book FP+. Our 60 days is this Tuesday, and we have four days at Spring Break - crazy!

A day off every now and then is a great idea, especially when you have as much time as you do. However, needless to say, I don't think we will go to Planet Hollywood anytime soon! If I am badly treated by a waiter, I will generally lower the tip to 15% (and once no tip at all for downright rudeness which reduced me to tears). We tend to be ridiculous over-tippers otherwise, because I think the wages they pay them are criminal.

I think we might still drop by Rose & Crown on occasion. Both DH and I like the food, although we have heard mixed reviews. They have always treated us well, with great service and the great view we had of Illuminations for our anniversary (they put us on the patio overlooking the lake!! So it is kind of sentimental. But since you have very good English food where you live, no need to eat the Americanized version here!

So except for a annoying waiter, sounds like you had a great time!

Rest days are very important on long trips. I try to plan them too.

Candid pictures are the best! My nephew will do that with the camera too.

That waiters behavior at Planet Hollywood is definitely unacceptable. It would have encouraged me to tip him virtually nothing. We're not fans of Planet Hollywood, but mainly because it's a chain restaurant of sorts and we used to have one in the area that we live in.

Oh wow the waiters behaviour was absolutely shocking, I know they think us Brit's don't tip well as we're used to tipping 10% but he deserved to get less than that!!!!

The major downer of the meal was the dreadful attitude and behaviour of the waiter. My mum was distressed and ended up tipping him 18%, but I regret that. We should have left without tipping him at all!

I'm so sorry this server was such a jerk! Frankly the % keeps creeping up and it frustrates us too. I had never heard it had reached as high as 20% until we went to WDW - I had always tipped 10% for acceptable service and 15% for above and beyond. When you consider the prices of meals in WDW to begin with, the amount of tip is often insane! Some waiters earn it, others certainly don't. NEVER let them strong arm you or your sweet mother! If you get bad service, they get a bad tip and that is OK. If you reward that sort of behavior, they are just going to do it to the next poor family that comes in the door also.

I don't know if this helps, but we also had the tipping sheet in our bill as well. ;)

Oh wow the waiters behaviour was absolutely shocking, I know they think us Brit's don't tip well as we're used to tipping 10% but he deserved to get less than that!!!!

I guess us PacNWers don't either! :scratchin

I am HUGE on customer service and I would've just given a $1 or nothing. I am sorry about your experience.

Boo to the boys not wanting to watch Illuminations. We thought it was pretty cool, although sometimes it's hard to resist the low ride waits when everyone else is watching the fireworks.

We enjoyed Garden Grill, we weren't crazy about the food but loved the restaurant. The rolls and salad were gorgeous though.

I feel so bad for your mum having to deal with that in Planet Hollywood. I never felt that servers in WDW owned restaurants were pushy but generally find those that work in chain restaurants (Bubba Gump, Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood etc) to be desperate to get you to spend as much as possible to bump up their tip. It drives me round the bend when they give you the tipping card with your bill, it is very insulting. I'd like to think I'd have had the nerve to tell him he was being pushy but I'd probably have chickened out and done the same as your mum.

Downtown Disney and Pool-Time Fun at the Paddocks!

After our stressful meal at Planet Hollywood we walked around Downtown Disney a little... Although with my brothers browsing the shops as much as my mum and I would have liked wasn't possible.

DSC_0840_zps09303d8b.jpg

A quick photograph at the fountain...

DSC_0841_zps68d144cb.jpg

We then hopped on the ferry boat back to Saratoga Springs which is one of the perks of staying so close! Sadly my family aren't big fans of DTD because it seems a little 'tacky' in comparison to other areas of WDW. You can also walk back to Saratoga Springs which is also pretty handy!

DSC_0844_zps660203a3.jpg

DSC_0845_zps0097587d.jpg

DSC_0846_zpsc94e4c76.jpg

Back at the resort, we got on our swimming costumes and headed straight off to the Paddock pool. It is relatively new and we now prefer it to the Springs pool by the main building. It felt a lot warmer than the Springs and there was a more interesting slide. Additionally there you can benefit greatly from the counter service grill there, which takes the DDP for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The idea of having breakfast at the pool sounds heavenly to me.

You can also get snacks there, and a variety of ice creams. They have lovely soft serve ice cream which we were sure to utilise our snack credits for. Sadly it was hard to utilise our refillable mugs because of the wasps swarming around the drinks station.

Before we walked over to the pool, Willum did the unthinkable and mocked the fabulous Mickey ears on sale in the resort shop...

DSC_0849_zps00d0fc34.jpg

Here we are walking through the beautiful grounds of the resort, excited for an afternoon of swimming...

DSC_0848_zps002a2c25.jpg

Pool Time at the Paddocks!

The pool was busy and initially there were no seats in the sun available which my mum was annoyed about. Luckily they came available pretty soon and we snagged them.

Here Rory is, excited to jump in the pool!

DSC_0851_zps71fe1b2a.jpg

Here is the pool. It has scheduled activities (a Disney trivia quiz for example, that was painful to listen to as no one knew the answers and I did!) I must say, it was a great deal warmer than the Springs pool, and being in November, this mattered a great deal!

DSC_0854_zpse853ec35.jpg

DSC_0855_zps88fe59e8.jpg

DSC_0856_zpsdc134279.jpg

And the Paddock Grill. As I said, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner for a counter service credit. It also has some great ice cream.

DSC_0857_zps8823bad2.jpg

We had a wonderful time hanging about the pool. My mum had been longing to do this for two years prior to the trip! (Essentially since we returned from our last visit to WDW in 2011). Rory made friends with a little boy who was American, so he was really happy! I slept quite a bit, and woke up in time to have some chocolate ice cream!

We heard a woman shout my first and second name which gave me a fright! We had a nice brief conversation with the lady, who's daughter ironically had the same name as me.

We walked back to our villa after a few hours to get changed and ready for our dinner at the Turf Club Bar and Grill.

DSC_0859_zpsf57b58aa.jpg

We walked back just as the sun was setting and it was absolutely stunning.

DSC_0860_zps77430d71.jpg

DSC_0867_zps642ae679.jpg

DSC_0876_zps8fa4d653.jpg

There were some truly adorable turtles swimming close to the bridges. They peeped their heads out of the water, clearly hoping we had some food to feed them!

DSC_0883_zps61d7c555.jpg

DSC_0886_zps6d28e0b5.jpg

DSC_0890_zpsaf9d3f9d.jpg

We arrived at our lovely villa in the Springs, warmly backlit by the golden sunlight.

DSC_0901_zps28e09fa5.jpg

Garden Grill I have heard raved about, on the boards, my friends and now your family. Have never made it there, and won't be able to again on this trip. It is not mentioned often, but when it is it is overwhelmingly positive. Maybe when we go next time we can stop by. Right now, we are just trying to figure out how to book FP+. Our 60 days is this Tuesday, and we have four days at Spring Break - crazy!

A day off every now and then is a great idea, especially when you have as much time as you do. However, needless to say, I don't think we will go to Planet Hollywood anytime soon! If I am badly treated by a waiter, I will generally lower the tip to 15% (and once no tip at all for downright rudeness which reduced me to tears). We tend to be ridiculous over-tippers otherwise, because I think the wages they pay them are criminal.

I think we might still drop by Rose & Crown on occasion. Both DH and I like the food, although we have heard mixed reviews. They have always treated us well, with great service and the great view we had of Illuminations for our anniversary (they put us on the patio overlooking the lake!! So it is kind of sentimental. But since you have very good English food where you live, no need to eat the Americanized version here!

So except for a annoying waiter, sounds like you had a great time!

You should definitely consider trying Garden Grill sometime in the future if you have time! Exciting that you are going so soon but the Spring Break crowds sound pretty overwhelming! Good luck with making FP+ decisions- I know I kept changing them! :rotfl:

I agree- the days we had off were super for spontaneously deciding what we wanted to do! Don't try Planet Hollywood if you aren't interested in movie merchandise... we'd go back for my dad but if we got the same waiter... oh dear! :furious:

A 15% tip is really high in the UK, so it is hard to stomach giving that to a rude waiter. That said, I am so sorry to hear how rude that waiter was. I don't understand how they can be so rude to people (we've had a few, but none appallingly rude).

I think we are biased regarding the Rose and Crown because we are British and it isn't authentic. I know a lot of people really enjoy it. That said the patio view of the fireworks is fabulous! Lucky that you got seated there- it was closed to guests due to excessive rain when we went and the waitress kindly invited us to watch the fireworks there. It was really empty.

Rest days are very important on long trips. I try to plan them too.

Candid pictures are the best! My nephew will do that with the camera too.

That waiters behavior at Planet Hollywood is definitely unacceptable. It would have encouraged me to tip him virtually nothing. We're not fans of Planet Hollywood, but mainly because it's a chain restaurant of sorts and we used to have one in the area that we live in.

Yes they are! And glad to hear that others benefit from candid pictures!

Thanks for the advice about the waiter's behaviour. I agree- we have a Planet Hollywood in London- the fact that it is a chain can make it quite generic. :artist:

That is horrible service :mad:

I like the idea of having relaxing non-park days though :thumbsup2

It's a great idea- we couldn't do without them! :wizard:

Exactly- although I am sure many Brits do tip well in the US. I guess it is stereotypical! :rotfl:

I'm so sorry this server was such a jerk! Frankly the % keeps creeping up and it frustrates us too. I had never heard it had reached as high as 20% until we went to WDW - I had always tipped 10% for acceptable service and 15% for above and beyond. When you consider the prices of meals in WDW to begin with, the amount of tip is often insane! Some waiters earn it, others certainly don't. NEVER let them strong arm you or your sweet mother! If you get bad service, they get a bad tip and that is OK. If you reward that sort of behavior, they are just going to do it to the next poor family that comes in the door also.

I don't know if this helps, but we also had the tipping sheet in our bill as well. ;)

I guess us PacNWers don't either! :scratchin

I don't understand why the percentage keeps creeping up- it has been here too! 20% is a ridiculous amount though- ridiculous! A $200 meal would need a $40 tip- which is almost a whole extra meal in a 'normal' restaurant. :scared1:

Thanks for the advice- next time I won't let my mum be pressured into a big tip. I feel bad thinking of other foreigners having this guy as a server and being pressured. :confused3 :rotfl2:

Really?! :lmao: That is odd, considering you are not an international guest! The tipping cards just seem rude to me anyway. ;)

I am HUGE on customer service and I would've just given a $1 or nothing. I am sorry about your experience.

Thanks for the advice. We'll do that next time (hopefully, though, there won't be a next time!) ::yes::

Boo to the boys not wanting to watch Illuminations. We thought it was pretty cool, although sometimes it's hard to resist the low ride waits when everyone else is watching the fireworks.

We enjoyed Garden Grill, we weren't crazy about the food but loved the restaurant. The rolls and salad were gorgeous though.

I feel so bad for your mum having to deal with that in Planet Hollywood. I never felt that servers in WDW owned restaurants were pushy but generally find those that work in chain restaurants (Bubba Gump, Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood etc) to be desperate to get you to spend as much as possible to bump up their tip. It drives me round the bend when they give you the tipping card with your bill, it is very insulting. I'd like to think I'd have had the nerve to tell him he was being pushy but I'd probably have chickened out and done the same as your mum.

The low ride waits are fabulous... although Illuminations always takes my breath away! The preferred fireworks viewing makes it all wonderful. :cloud9:

Glad you enjoyed Garden Grill! We went with lower expectations because it was a character meal, but the experience is what makes it worthwhile! :goodvibes

I am in total agreement with you there. I doubt Disney would tolerate pushy waiters! It is nice being able to relate to a fellow Brit (or Scot :lmao: ) about the tipping cards! I think if my dad was there he would've done what you said and tell him he was being pushy, but sadly my mum and I weren't so daring! :rotfl2:

Dinner at the Turf Club Bar and Grill

After a fabulously relaxing time at the pool, we got changed and ready for our dinner at our resort Saratoga Springs. The Turf Club is the resort’s only table service restaurant and we were looking forward to experiencing a meal there. It is often overlooked, but we wanted to see for ourselves what it offered.

76CAADD4-C903-4AB8-8148-B855DBB1FAD8-372-0000002E26C81AA0_zpsd32fb6cf.jpg

D5E4AA43-796F-4956-ADE6-0FFC8C470856-364-0000002D1ABA85C7_zpsde1ec00d.jpg

It was very busy that night and people without reservations were told the wait would be 45 minutes to an hour. We waited fifteen minutes or so and I realised the camera was out of battery. We charged it and I used my iPhone initially to take photos.

Our server was very friendly and addressed me as ‘Princess’. He saw I was wearing a birthday badge and congratulated me. The menu here is unique; especially one of the appetizers we ordered.

Our drinks were brought out promptly followed by our appetizers...

2EA41B2D-BC14-44CA-9E30-343DFB521393-372-0000002DC2A9A760_zpscc5f8a27.jpg

Onion Rings with Dips
$6.49

These were fresh, hot, crispy and all-round tasty. A simple but not terribly unique starter- however onion rings always go down well in my family!

1281F243-A166-489B-AF30-7AC95D546DCF-372-0000002D93097C1A_zpsd5507b5e.jpg

French Onion Soup
Classic French Onion Soup topped with Melted Cheese and a nest of Crispy-fried Onions
$6.99

This was a tasty little soup with crispy onions and lovely bread. We are big fans of onion soup and enjoyed trying the Turf Club’s version. Very flavourful indeed and a good mix of textures- the soft onions below and their crispy counterpart on the top.

BFAC27C4-3FC1-4C6B-9093-9F7FDB882977-372-0000002DAB5EBC1D_zps74d3209a.jpg

Baked Brie with Prosciutto and Raspberry Preserves
$11.99

This was an incredibly unique appetizer in the essence that it was sweet as opposed to savoury! It was refreshing, tasty and yet a very unusual starter because it resembles a dessert to a far greater extent! It is a pretty pricey appetizer but a delightful alternative to the usual offerings.

Some Coca Cola in a wine glass...

EC8C8CFD-ED47-4F87-A6A9-8F208A511C29-372-0000002DFCD60478_zps517b900e.jpg

And here's Rory enjoying himself with a glowing ice cube...

A4342682-9682-48A1-A873-5ADD33B4E804-372-0000002DDF3FE99B_zpsd04632ed.jpg

Onto entrees and we were excited to get a taste of what the Turf Club offers.
My mum ordered the...

58EAD823-07E7-4046-AFC6-621ACCFAF4B8-372-0000002E1DAB8A02_zps97570bd8.jpg

DSC_0914_zps56af5f6a.jpg

Grilled Lamb Chops
With Honey-Mint Glaze, Warm Couscous Salad, and Red Pepper Sauce
$24.99

My mum really loved this meal. The lamb was cooked perfectly to her liking and had a wonderful flavour. She just told me it was a wonderful choice that she would highly reccommend.

Willum had what I believe is the...

DSC_0915_zps1e5aa489.jpg

Grilled New York Strip
With Asparagus, Mashed Potatoes, and Lobster Fondue
$31.49

Willum was a bit sick of steak because with his braces he struggled to eat much else. I think he did enjoy this, and his plate was empty at the end of the meal- which must say something! I am not entirely sure, however, that it would be worth over $30. (Seems a lot for a non-signature restaurant!)

My dad decided to choose the...

DSC_0916_zps79ec5b49.jpg

Crispy Free-Range Chicken Breast with Three-Cheese Macaroni & Cheese and Green Beans Almondine
$19.99

Unfortunately, the kids’ meals aren’t very varied here- you are given the option of cheeseburger, hot dog or cheese pizza. I wasn’t very hungry so opted for a simple kids’ pizza. It is somewhat disappointing that many Disney restaurants have only one vegetarian entree.

DSC_0913_zpscd305aa0.jpg

Cheese Pizza - $8.59
Includes choice of one (1) Beverage and one (1) Dessert

It was hot, fresh and tasty. Just a regular cheese pizza, but it certainly filled a hole in my stomach.

Rory loves hot dogs so chose one here.

DSC_0912_zpsbec0a11c.jpg

Hot Dog -$ 8.59
Includes choice of one (1) Beverage and one (1) Dessert

He liked it and ate it up. The fries were fairly generic but at least quite fresh.

We weren’t ravenously hungry after our appetizers and entrees so only my parents chose to order a dessert...

Warm Seasonal Fruit Crisp with Streusel Topping and Vanilla Ice Cream
$7.49

Our waiter was surprised I (celebrating my birthday) didn’t want to order dessert for myself. He brought out my parents’ dessert with a candle in, which I thought was a nice gesture, but a little strange seeing as it wasn’t my dessert!

DSC_0918_zpsc60b0a28.jpg

The atmosphere in the Turf Club was lovely, although it was quite smart and fairly dark it had a relatively casual feel. The food was lovely and unique from what we’d tasted elsewhere at WDW (and beyond!), whilst the service was pretty good too. Overall, it’s a fabulous restaurant to try out- especially if you are staying nearby. It was wonderful being able to walk there and back- no stress of driving or catching Disney transport.

After the lovely meal we headed back to our cosy villa in the Springs, passing by the resort shop. A fabulous opportunity to try on Mickey ears- and they suit my dad if I do say so myself!

We went to bed relatively early, excited for our next day at none other than Animal Kingdom.

Overall Rating – 8 / 10

Atmosphere - 7
Food - 9
Service - 7
Value - 6

Joining in, albeit a little late!
I've been lurking on TRs for a while but hadn't plucked up the courage to comment before now :blush:
I totally understand where you're coming from as I booked all of our ADRs for my parents on our last trip! Also as the only vegetarian in my family, I totally relate to the "adventure" of figuring out what to eat in Disney.
It's nice to read reports of teen disers especially, I've really been enjoying yours. Sounds like you had a great trip!:thumbsup2

well, I'm all caught up... I haven't been on much and am still debating as to whether I want to start a trip report :scratchin
you're an excellent and talented writer, I really enjoy reading your reports.
we ate at the Garden Grill during our Dec trip and all agrred we want to do it again...
we are going back to Disney in just over 5 weeks and staying for 8 nights, not going to do much planning for this trip though :rotfl2: at least that's what I keep telling everyone :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter