• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

40% off plus dining? is it possible?

sharonml

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

I have a question for you all. I know there is usually free dining offered in late Aug through Sept. Now, my question is this...

If you make reservation for fall with the 40% discount and they later offer free dining for that time period... Do you still get the 40% off or do you have to pick one or the other. Our travel agent thought that we probably wouldn't be able to use the 40% off if they do offer the free dining again.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Sharon

no double dipping...one or the other. If you are staying Deluxe, the 40% off room is a better deal...especially with the "new" not improved basic dining plan.

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't sure if it was actually considered a code if they offered it free during the certain time frame. I just wanted to be sure. So you all think it would be better to take the 40% and purchase the dining plan separately?

I think the 40% discount is better than the free dining, especially at the deluxe resorts. You can always add the dining.

If you plan to stay at a Value, then 40% nearly equals the cost of one DDP. If you are travelling by yourself (staying at a VR) it might be a draw as to which is better, however, if you have two adults (or a family) the free DDP is they way to go! :goodvibes

Essentially, everyone who has posted previously is correct on all points - you can't combine two promotions - unless you get a truly magical CM who manages to pull it off despite Disney policy. While that might technically be possible, I can't remember anyone posting here that it happened to them.

Secondly, determining which discount is better (40% or Free Dining) is up to each person/family. In general, those who say 40% is better if you are staying at a Deluxe and Free Dining is better if you are at a Value are probably correct. If you are staying at a Moderate, it is sometimes a little harder to determine which deal is better.

What you need to do is look at your current ressie at the 40% off - if you haven't already added the Basic Dining Plan, do so now. Look at that as a total cost. Then, go to the Disney general reservations website, and book the identical vacation WITHOUT the dining plan - making sure you retain the same dates, room and ticket options. This would be your cost (rack-rate) with Free Dining. Compare that total with your current ressie - only then will you be certain which one is better.

Just as an example - although we didn't get a 40% code - our family is hoping to go in late Aug. to early Sep. for 8 nights in an ASMu Family Suite with 5 Day Hoppers and the Dining Plan. Rack Rate for the Suites is $184/night. This is for a family of four - two adults and two children in the 3-9 age range. The total cost of Free Dining was (if I remember correctly) about $50 more than if we could have booked with the 40% off and paid for the Dining Plan. So, with that family distribution for a roughly one week vacation, 40% is better if the room rack-rate is (rough estimate) more than $175/night. Free Dining would be better if the rack-rate is less than that.

During Value Season (the only time Free Dining seems to come up), that would tend to support the concept 40% is better on Deluxe, Free Dining is better for Values, and it will depend on your room "view" type for Moderates - although the difference there (like our $50 difference) would be minimal.\

I hope that helped.

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what the *** code is? Is it the 40% off? I have that code attached to my name, but they said they couldn't tell me what the discount is until I book. They did say it was a room discount...anyone? We have not used the discount codes before so I'm a little new to this part of it. TIA!:confused3

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what the *** code is? Is it the 40% off? I have that code attached to my name, but they said they couldn't tell me what the discount is until I book. They did say it was a room discount...anyone? We have not used the discount codes before so I'm a little new to this part of it. TIA!:confused3

You need to edit out your code as you do not want to give that out. Did you get that in a postcard or did you receive an email for that code? There is a 40% off PIN code going around right now in the form of a postcard. If you received a postcard with the 16 digit number, then you will have 40% off of a room only reservation. Not sure of any other 40% off going around.

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what the XXX code is? Is it the 40% off? I have that code attached to my name, but they said they couldn't tell me what the discount is until I book. They did say it was a room discount...anyone? We have not used the discount codes before so I'm a little new to this part of it. TIA!:confused3

Why not just price it and let them tell you? You don't have to put $ down just because you price a package with a code. I've called a few times in the past few years just to see what a package would cost without booking a thing.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think the code was complete w/that info only. Whoops! I got it over the phone. I just called to see if I had a pin attached to my name and I did.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think the code was complete w/that info only. Whoops! I got it over the phone. I just called to see if I had a pin attached to my name and I did.

I verified that it's a 40% off room-only reservation. Congratulations!:banana:

Hmm, that's weird. They're telling me it's a 20% off code. What's the deal? They also told me it had to be booked by a certain date first and now they're telling me there's no deadline...what's w/the differing stories??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter