4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

I have to say I am totally disappointed in my fellow DIS'ers related to this policy... They either see as great because they ultimately don't care how it affects others or see it as some zero sum game where they don't have to someone to care for their dog (family, friend, kennel, in house-dog sitter, neighbour, etc...) and where they won't be affected by others bringing dogs to stay in their favourite resort (smell, mess, noise, bites, etc....) so it's zero sum. To some extent this doesn't surprise me since I don't think people really care about others anymore --- at all.

Yes, from reading this post, with references to Disney's spending on DVC house keeping, it seems you were missing this point. ---- they don't spend anything on DVC house keeping, and regardless of any decision about dogs, never will because they have no part in the transaction. Including revenue from dog rentals.

So yes--- Lump all of the speeches together and I wouldn't think you would miss this, but from the direction of the post quoted, it seems you did. and whoever else you were discussing it with.....

No...I got you...I just used the block to hammer home a frequent point: dues aren't for what most people think they are...namely housekeeping

I have to say I am totally disappointed in my fellow DIS'ers related to this policy... They either see as great because they ultimately don't care how it affects others or see it as some zero sum game where they don't have to someone to care for their dog (family, friend, kennel, in house-dog sitter, neighbour, etc...) and where they won't be affected by others bringing dogs to stay in their favourite resort (smell, mess, noise, bites, etc....) so it's zero sum. To some extent this doesn't surprise me since I don't think people really care about others anymore --- at all.

So where do you stand on it? That's gonna sound confrontational - but it's not... I like as many perspectives as I can get on these types of debates

So where do you stand on it? That's gonna sound confrontational - but it's not... I like as many perspectives as I can get on these types of debates

This I can totally discuss (and thank you since not everyone has been so willing to look at other points of views I totally say thank you again.... )

I think that WDW totally has the right to implement Dog-friendly policies..... but I think for the most part they should line up with industry expectations ---- which are not to leave a dog (or two) alone in a room for 7 hours. That there should be some rooms which have not had dogs in them (for those with allergies) and that they should have very specific remedies if guests allow their dogs to violate policy or if unsuspecting people are assigned rooms that smell like dog pee. There should also be very specific requirements in terms of dog size (not really dog breed) since the space where people within WDW is confined --- really condos of 375 sq ft wouldn't allow 2 150+ lb dogs..... not likely.) If you told most people that dogs under 25-30lbs would be allowed they'd know that they won't be overwhelmed when they saw them in the halls or the elevator.... . Disney's stance that any size of dog is okay is ludacris --- really 2 10lb dogs need the space as 2 150lb dogs during the day?????

Again, thanks for asking the question in a constructive (rather reflexive way..)

Will be interested to see how this goes.

A lot of the "downside" arguments/points seem to be as if "non dog bringing" guests are going to be staying in these rooms as well.

That's not even the case is it? Or is it?

Anyway-I know we will choose non dog resorts (mostly DVC anyway) and certainly non dog wings of resorts. Doesn't seem hard.

Not sure what % of rooms this will be, any guesses? 5%? 1%?

A lot of the "downside" arguments/points seem to be as if "non dog bringing" guests are going to be staying in these rooms as well.

Anyway-I know we will choose non dog resorts (mostly DVC anyway) and certainly non dog wings of resorts. Doesn't seem hard.

I'm betting as many as people will pay for. I don't see disney putting a cap on how much extra money they will accept.

Unless they renovate rooms to be all impervious surfaces with floor drains and all plastic furniture so they can hose the room down after each guest leaves, the rooms will smell like animals at the very least.

You also have to know that if they are at full capacity with non dog rooms, they will sell the dog rooms as non.....just like always happened with smoking rooms.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/4-wdw-resorts-to-allow-dogs.3640418/page-11#post-58368226
This I can totally discuss (and thank you since not everyone has been so willing to look at other points of views I totally say thank you again.... )

I think that WDW totally has the right to implement Dog-friendly policies..... but I think for the most part they should line up with industry expectations ---- which are not to leave a dog (or two) alone in a room for 7 hours. That there should be some rooms which have not had dogs in them (for those with allergies) and that they should have very specific remedies if guests allow their dogs to violate policy or if unsuspecting people are assigned rooms that smell like dog pee. There should also be very specific requirements in terms of dog size (not really dog breed) since the space where people within WDW is confined --- really condos of 375 sq ft wouldn't allow 2 150+ lb dogs..... not likely.) If you told most people that dogs under 25-30lbs would be allowed they'd know that they won't be overwhelmed when they saw them in the halls or the elevator.... . Disney's stance that any size of dog is okay is ludacris --- really 2 10lb dogs need the space as 2 150lb dogs during the day?????

Again, thanks for asking the question in a constructive (rather reflexive way..)

My complaint is small dogs fine?????? I have one under me in condo that whine all the time when owners leaves and if outside barks constantly at you and other dogs? and I know too many people whos dogs use the house as a bathroom and the owners just laugh

There are MANY options for people who want solutions for leaving their dog home. Just look, my daughter needed one as has a new puppy and can not leave her alone all day. She has someone who comes every day walks and feeds the puppy and sends her pictures every day. $15 a day in MA outside of Boston. Problem solved and on impacting on anyone and alot cheaper.

I'm betting as many as people will pay for. I don't see disney putting a cap on how much extra money they will accept.

Unless they renovate rooms to be all impervious surfaces with floor drains and all plastic furniture so they can hose the room down after each guest leaves, the rooms will smell like animals at the very least.

You also have to know that if they are at full capacity with non dog rooms, they will sell the dog rooms as non.....just like always happened with smoking rooms.

I would expect a pattern to arrive fairly quickly. If it's wildly popular will be curious what they do, but it would show the need.

My guess is they have data from the US hotels.

If we hear of dog rooms being sold to non dog, or even wings of resorts-we will choose other resorts. Still easy.

Last edited:

You don't think Disney is going to leave those rooms vacant when people with dogs aren't staying in them do you ? I guarantee people without dogs will be staying in rooms that have had dogs in them previously, and are beside rooms with dogs in them currently.

You don't think Disney is going to leave those rooms vacant when people with dogs aren't staying in them do you ? I guarantee people without dogs will be staying in rooms that have had dogs in them previously, and are beside rooms with dogs in them currently.

Disney hotels are often (as in weekly if not daily) at 100% occupancy...they don't "hold rooms"...

Anyone that thinks they aren't filling "dog rooms" with normal occupants any days it's needed is insane.

This is what I posted on the main thread about this.

I emailed Disney outlining *my* thoughts, and opinions, and some of the things this policy will change about our upcoming holiday.

I did not get a form e mail in return, I got an email arranging a convenient time for them to call me to discus it further. (They couldn't just randomly call as there are time differences to consider)

If they do actually call me on Thursday as arranged, then, at least I have a chance to explain how I feel. I may not be staying at a dog resort, and we are certainly not the people they are targeting for business, but, we got married in the YC, our trip this time is so that my husband, who now has leukaemia can take both his kids to WDW, and show them where we got married. We won't be making the trip over to the YC now as both my son and I are asthmatic, and don't want dogs to trigger this on holiday. I can't care for my autistic son, and my husband with leukaemia if I have to spend time being nebulised. Also some of our party are afraid of bigger dogs - we had a very bad experience with a German Shepherd when the kids ere smaller. It's a shame. It's also something we didn't know when we booked. Just the same as the GF main pool with the slide (being something my kids were really looking forward to using) being closed during our trip is not something we knew when we booked. We can't do our trip over, as this is the chance to go while we can all travel together, and we can't have got married somewhere else. We have to stay on the monorail loop, it is a dream for my husband and son, and the former needs the easy transport these days, so I'm not looking to be moved or anything. I just want them to know that their decisions have impact.

I also feel that dogs less trained than service dogs and kids in an environment like WDW is an accident waiting to happen. And the roll out was appalling.

This is a trial, so expressing opinions is possibly useful to Disney. Like I say, I hope they DO call as arranged, and I can share what I feel.

if you are happy about this change, that's a valid opinion too, and you should feel as inclined to call and say so.

They don't say dog wings, they say sections or floors. And I can't remember the exact, but the wording did make it questionable if you would be put in dog rooms or not.

They don't say dog wings, they say sections or floors. And I can't remember the exact, but the wording did make it questionable if you would be put in dog rooms or not.

They made really no claims to segregate people...

In an ideal world they could...but disney hotels are blocked...check in/check out dates determine who goes where.

OK, well that makes it even easier. No need to wait for feedback. Count us as picking one of the other 25 resorts.

Or 16...but who's counting?

DVC is a choice as well.

Either way-plenty of choices.

There are currently more than 25 Disney Resort hotel locations to pick from when staying at Walt Disney World Resort, from budget-conscious value Resort hotels to our luxurious deluxe Resort hotels.

Whether your party is looking to spend the night in a lavish suite or wants to camp beneath the stars of the beautiful Florida sky, there are dozens of different Disney Resort hotel themes and styles available, including:

Value:

Moderate:

Deluxe:

Deluxe Villas:

DVC is a choice as well.

There are currently more than 25 Disney Resort hotel locations to pick from when staying at Walt Disney World Resort, from budget-conscious value Resort hotels to our luxurious deluxe Resort hotels.

Whether your party is looking to spend the night in a lavish suite or wants to camp beneath the stars of the beautiful Florida sky, there are dozens of different Disney Resort hotel themes and styles available, including:

Value:

Moderate:

Deluxe:

Deluxe Villas:

Dvc is a timeshare program that only has a token percentage of rooms available due to state law...

And all but two are stuck to the side of existing prior developments like a leech...they don't add anything with perhaps the exception of kidani...

No need to bend reality to pump the tires...

Dvc is a timeshare program that only has a token percentage of rooms available due to state law...

And all but two are stuck to the side of existing prior developments like a leech...they don't add anything with perhaps the exception of kidani...

No need to bend reality to pump the tires...

16 is plenty.

But if you read-I said "us". We will be choosing from over 25. Another reason to love DVC.

OK, well that makes it even easier. No need to wait for feedback. Count us as picking one of the other 25 resorts.

Last edited:
Boy, tough room here----- my opinion is? And I don't care if you asked for it or not......

campgrounds is not a resort.
as well as cabins are not a resort.
Port orleans and riverside are the same resort.
and they can only list each of the deluxes once-- even if they have a DVC section.

So IMO that leaves 18. (added OKW and SSR)

And it's a gift to differentiate between the all stars--- so counting them as one brings us back to 16......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter