• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

4 days until DL! Need last minute advice

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

We're on our way in 4 days to DL/DCA. We have reservations at the DLH and wanted to know what building is preferable for a nice view of the parks and fireworks and room size. Can we request a certain building/location/view at check in? What are our chances of getting what we request at check in (considering that it should be a slow week there)?

Also, although we've been to DL/DCA a lot, we haven't been to Univeral Studios and wanted to know that if we decided to go for a day, is it suitable for a five-year-old, or are most of the attractions at Universal too scary for young ones and geared for older kids? :scared1:

Thanks for you input and advice. :flower: :flower3: :flower:

I've never stayed at the DLH (never stayed at any nearby hotels either), but I hear the Sierra Tower is the one you want. Don't know what your chances of getting it are.

As for Universal, there are some kid friendly attractions--there's the Shrek 4-D film, the Nickleodian Blast Zone (sort of a play area), and the Animal Planet Live show along with various Nick characters wandering the park, but most of the rest is geared for older kids and adults. They used to have a really cute ET ride, but that's where the Mummy coaster is now (the ET ride was better IMO). As far as the backlot tram tour, if your 5YO scares easily and/or doesn't like things that are big, loud or jump out at you, don't sit him/her on the right side of the tram--that's where most of the scary stuff is--in fact, best to sit any little ones toward the middle.

It depends on what kind of room you paid for. Standard views are of the city and the parking lots. Resort views are of the courtyard and pools. Theme park views are the most costly and you have views od Disneyland in the distance along with Downtown Disnet and DCA...and the Grand Californian.
To get the biggest room request a room in the Sierra Tower with two queen beds and a daybed. If you have booked a theme park view and they honor your request you will be set. If you did not book a theme park view, you might get upgraded but I wouldn't plan on it. I had a standard room and made the above request and was put in the Sierra Tower with a courtyard view. My room was right aove Hooks Point Restaurant so I could see the top of the building and some of the equipment but beyond that was the pool and courtyard and it was much better than a parkinglot view.

Call the day you are set to check in after around 11:00 a.m. their time. By then people will have checked out and they will have a good idea of what rooms are opening up. We have stayed in the Bonita (3 times) and the Sierra (once) and they were both wonderful. Don't despair automatically if you get the Bonita, I know a lot of people don't like that one but it is actually our preference. Even the parking lot view we had our first visit did not diminish the experience! I love walking through the waterfalls at night when they are lit up! You are going to have a great time and will enjoy your stay I am sure! Let us know how it all went.

Universal for your 5 yo really depends on the child. When my dd was 5 she really liked the tram ride, even the dark/loud/scarier parts but was scared during some parts of the Nickelodeon show, exact opposite of what I expected!!

Most of the actual 'rides' are better for older kids, there really aren't any 'gentle - happy' rides. But if your 5 yo is tall enough and likes rides they may be okay.

The Nickelodeon characters and play area are great for younger kids.

Don't wait until you are starving to eat. Last night we waited until 6:30 to look for dinner and it seem like most of the dining locations were closed. Here's a list of what was closed:
Bengal Bar-B-Que
Blue Bayou
Cafe Orleans
Club Buzz
Daisy's Diner (in Toontown)
The French Market
The Golden Horseshoe
Hungry Bear RestaurantRancho Del Zocalo
Pluto's Dog House
River Belle Terrace
Stage Door Cafe

All that was open was:
Village Haus
Pizza Port
Carnation Cafe
Plaza Inn
Royal Street Veranda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter