3rd Time's the Charm!? A 2014 PTR *NEW 11/21!*

Well I may need to change the title of this PTR… it looks like the 3rd time will NOT be the charm.

After finding out that DH doesn't even really want to take a Disney related trip, I found out that we are losing a large portion of our household income - again. We live in an area with one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and companies just keep closing. Nobody's job is secure anymore. So unless I can find a job that pays well very soon, it looks like this trip is going to have to be post-poned. I am still going to keep planning things like where I want to go, and try to figure out the cost - because I WILL get there, it just is going to be delayed if we don't have the income to pay for it right now. I really thought that we could turn a page and start on a new foot for 2013. It was supposed to be a better year than 2012, but so far, it isn't impressing me.

I'm sorry that this post is such a depressing one. I hope that I will have better news soon :(

Thank you. I really don't want to be a downer - then nobody will read! But I'm getting ticked at the universe. Today, I got bit by a dog… drew blood and all... seriously?!

Krysten, How did I miss all of this??? It feels like it was just New Year's Day and amore than a week has passed and too much has happened. :hug::hug::hug: Please, please let me know when you need an extra dose of prayer, I honestly can wake up and a month has gone by and I have missed something here. Claiming today to be a much better one for you, sprinkled with LOTS of good news! :goodvibes

Krysten, How did I miss all of this??? It feels like it was just New Year's Day and amore than a week has passed and too much has happened. :hug::hug::hug: Please, please let me know when you need an extra dose of prayer, I honestly can wake up and a month has gone by and I have missed something here. Claiming today to be a much better one for you, sprinkled with LOTS of good news! :goodvibes

I feel the same way! I miss things when I blink sometimes lol I am really trying hard to stay positive and be thankful for the things that I do have in my life, but some days it is difficult. Thank you very much for your well wishes, I hope that things can really turn around for us soon.

Just thought I'd do a little rambling, in case anyone is interested lol

DH and I are pretty upset by the sudden loss of income, but we are doing our best. Things in our town are getting really ugly. Our unemployment rate keeps increasing, and companies keep closing. But I am a really hard worker and I'm willing to do what I need to do to bring income into our home so that we can continue with the lifestyle that we have. I am currently working a part time retail job that my wonderful brother helped me get. I have been picking up a lot of extra shifts, which is really helpful! I'm hoping to find something more permanent, but at least if I can keep this up, we can save a little bit of money. I am also back at school now. I am so close to being finished, I cannot wait to graduate, and hopefully be able to find a good job.

As far as the trip is concerned, we are going to take it, it is just a matter of when. I am not willing to go into debt for a trip, so it will just depend on how long it takes us to save up for it. If we have to wait another year and go for our 4th anniversary instead, I am okay with that. I am going to just keep on planning what we want to do, where we want to stay, and see what happens on the job front.

September

Originally, we wanted to go in September. This is when our anniversary is, and it would be a nice little anniversary present/getaway. We've gone in September many times before, and like most things about it, but DH hates the heat and his allergies are bad that time of year.

I was looking at some dummy dates for this September, and found WL to be really cheap! (I believe it was about $3600 for 10 days) Neither of us have ever stayed there, so it is definitely in the running (and even more so if we can get a good deal!). When I asked DH where he wanted to stay on our next trip he said "the one with all of the wood" - I thought he meant WL, but after some more conversation and pictures, turns out he meant the Poly! I would love to stay there again as well, but that probably won't be for a few more trips down the road.

We also got pins from our December trip! So there are some really excellent deals that we could get from that if we stay in September.

Decisions… decisions...

December

The good thing about December is the weather and the Christmas decorations. I think DH would enjoy himself so much more. This also gives us a couple more months to save up (which we need right now). And we could still celebrate our anniversary in December.

WL is more expensive in December, which is also a bad thing. I'm still not great with figuring out pricing and stuff, usually my travel agent does all of that. She managed to get us an incredible deal on CSR in December, so I'll have to see what she can dig up for us!

I'm sorry if all of this is repetitious, I just need a place for my thoughts!

Well, congrats for the part-time gig! That's something at least! Positivity! :thumbsup2

I really hope you end up getting to take your vacation. I feel with everything you and your husband have been going through, it is just what you need.

As for which time you all want to go, do you know what the difference in price is? I know the Poly is a bit more expensive than WL. We were debating between those two resorts as well for our December trip. DH ended up choosing the Poly. If you budget out how much you would need to pay a month for your trip, try and see what the difference is. That's how we decided. We found out that with our monthly payments towards our vacation, the difference wasn't much between the two.

Hoping some pins arrive! :laughing:

Well, congrats for the part-time gig! That's something at least! Positivity! :thumbsup2

I really hope you end up getting to take your vacation. I feel with everything you and your husband have been going through, it is just what you need.

As for which time you all want to go, do you know what the difference in price is? I know the Poly is a bit more expensive than WL. We were debating between those two resorts as well for our December trip. DH ended up choosing the Poly. If you budget out how much you would need to pay a month for your trip, try and see what the difference is. That's how we decided. We found out that with our monthly payments towards our vacation, the difference wasn't much between the two.

Hoping some pins arrive! :laughing:

Thank you. It definitely relieves some of the stress! I've looked at a few different dates and many different resorts. I really just need to narrow it down. Poly is definitely more expensive, but there is less of a difference in December than there is in September. I think that I'm leaning towards a December trip because DH will like it more. I haven't made it so far as breaking it down into monthly payments yet :rotfl2: I'm still looking fairly big picture, part of me doesn't believe that we will get to take this trip or something. I did e-mail my TA today though, I'm going to see what she can dig up for me!

I like the December date, that would be my choice...I REALLY want to go sometime the week AFTER Thanksgiving..no/low crowds sound great to me! :thumbsup2

Praying things are at least stable if not on the upswing. :hug::hug: I like the WHEN we go... because you WILL go!!!!

And I will be reading along!

I like the December date, that would be my choice...I REALLY want to go sometime the week AFTER Thanksgiving..no/low crowds sound great to me! :thumbsup2

Praying things are at least stable if not on the upswing. :hug::hug: I like the WHEN we go... because you WILL go!!!!

And I will be reading along!

I am really loving the December date as well. Once things get a bit more sorted out with the job situation I'm going to have an actual discussion with DH about it and see what he thinks (although I'm pretty sure I already know what he's going to say :rotfl:). Thank you for the prayers :) I am also trying to think positive and say WHEN. I know that I will eventually get back, hopefully it is sooner rather than later :)

Wow. I'm so sorry for your loss and the job situation you and your husband are dealing with. You sound like you are trying to stay positive which is great!

I think a December trip would be awesome! Get to enjoy some nice Florida weather. My only issue with a December trip is I hate being cold, but I think it would be so cool to see all the decorations. When our kids get older we may try to do a holiday trip.

Wow. I'm so sorry for your loss and the job situation you and your husband are dealing with. You sound like you are trying to stay positive which is great!

I think a December trip would be awesome! Get to enjoy some nice Florida weather. My only issue with a December trip is I hate being cold, but I think it would be so cool to see all the decorations. When our kids get older we may try to do a holiday trip.

:welcome: Thank you for the kind words. December is a bit iffy with the weather, we had a couple of really chilly days in 2012, but the rest of the time was beautiful. I really love WDW at Christmas time though :love:

I am really loving the December date as well. Once things get a bit more sorted out with the job situation I'm going to have an actual discussion with DH about it and see what he thinks (although I'm pretty sure I already know what he's going to say :rotfl:). Thank you for the prayers :) I am also trying to think positive and say WHEN. I know that I will eventually get back, hopefully it is sooner rather than later :)

WHEN, WHEN, WHEN...and I am praying for you as well, Disney is such good medicine!
:hug::hug::hug:

So I've been playing with a few things to try and figure out exactly what kind of costs we are going to be looking at.

The main resort that I am thinking about right now is
WL_zps90657e4f.jpg

(Image courtesy of Disney.com)

The Wilderness Lodge!

The main reasons why I am considering this resort:
- I have never stayed here before
- It is close to MK
- DH loves the whole wilderness thing lol
- It is beautiful!

I looked up some cruises and found that a 3 or 4 day will probably work best for us. DH has never been on a cruise before, so I think it will be test to do a small test run for him before sticking him on a boat for 7 days! So all of the pricing and dates that I chose were based on these cruises.

So if we look at December…

I priced us a cruise at $1437.24 (this includes a Verandah room).
WL from December 6th - 12th with a courtyard view, 5 day hopper (leaving a couple of days to do nothing, we enjoy this), and the Dining plan = $3719.76.

Total for cruise and WL is $5157 (Not too bad at all, IMO)

If we look at September though, things get interesting lol

Cruise is priced at $1407.24 (same room category as above).
WL from September 6th - 12th with a courtyard view, 5 day hopper, and the Dining Plan = $3501.60

Total for cruise and WL is $4908.84

Now, the difference between these 2 is fairly negligible. But waiting until December gives us a couple of extra months to save.

HOWEVER…

I checked prices with the 35% promo/pin discount and we could stay the same dates at WL in September for $2672.32 or stay club level for $3327.52! What a deal!

I hope that I have my job situation all sorted out soon because if I can get these kinds of prices, I'm going to want to discuss it all with DH and book as soon as possible.

So much to think about! The only other trip that I planned down to the wire for just DH and I was our honeymoon. And there was no question, we were staying at the Grand Floridian, and the dates were already picked. Having this many choices is going to make me crazy!

So I've been playing with a few things to try and figure out exactly what kind of costs we are going to be looking at.

The main resort that I am thinking about right now is
WL_zps90657e4f.jpg

(Image courtesy of Disney.com)

The Wilderness Lodge!

The main reasons why I am considering this resort:
- I have never stayed here before
- It is close to MK
- DH loves the whole wilderness thing lol
- It is beautiful!

I looked up some cruises and found that a 3 or 4 day will probably work best for us. DH has never been on a cruise before, so I think it will be test to do a small test run for him before sticking him on a boat for 7 days! So all of the pricing and dates that I chose were based on these cruises.

So if we look at December…

I priced us a cruise at $1437.24 (this includes a Verandah room).
WL from December 6th - 12th with a courtyard view, 5 day hopper (leaving a couple of days to do nothing, we enjoy this), and the Dining plan = $3719.76.

Total for cruise and WL is $5157 (Not too bad at all, IMO)

If we look at September though, things get interesting lol

Cruise is priced at $1407.24 (same room category as above).
WL from September 6th - 12th with a courtyard view, 5 day hopper, and the Dining Plan = $3501.60

Total for cruise and WL is $4908.84

Now, the difference between these 2 is fairly negligible. But waiting until December gives us a couple of extra months to save.

HOWEVER…

I checked prices with the 35% promo/pin discount and we could stay the same dates at WL in September for $2672.32 or stay club level for $3327.52! What a deal!

I hope that I have my job situation all sorted out soon because if I can get these kinds of prices, I'm going to want to discuss it all with DH and book as soon as possible.

So much to think about! The only other trip that I planned down to the wire for just DH and I was our honeymoon. And there was no question, we were staying at the Grand Floridian, and the dates were already picked. Having this many choices is going to make me crazy!

Oh, I would LOVE to stay there, that looks wonderful! Sending stable job prayers your way! :thumbsup2

Sending prayers and pixie dust that the job situation will get some stability! Your plans look great!! You know we LOVE WL...I didn't think I would, but after one visit, it's "home" for us!

I love both of those times of year. December has the gorgeous decorations and does give you more time to save. . .i am a month-to-month saver as well...but I have to say that my very favorite time to go is in September. We've been twice during that time, and there were NO crowds! It was terrific! You can't go wrong either way, and it looks like you'll be getting terrific rates WHEN you go!! :goodvibes

Oh, I would LOVE to stay there, that looks wonderful! Sending stable job prayers your way! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much! It does look beautiful, doesn't it?

Sending prayers and pixie dust that the job situation will get some stability! Your plans look great!! You know we LOVE WL...I didn't think I would, but after one visit, it's "home" for us!

I love both of those times of year. December has the gorgeous decorations and does give you more time to save. . .i am a month-to-month saver as well...but I have to say that my very favorite time to go is in September. We've been twice during that time, and there were NO crowds! It was terrific! You can't go wrong either way, and it looks like you'll be getting terrific rates WHEN you go!! :goodvibes

Thank you very much! WL is great, I hope that you are going to write a TR! I'm so torn with times! There are a few factors involved and our decision may ultimately get made by when we can get the time off from work. I love all of the positivity I'm getting from everyone though! WHEN I go, when… lol

I've got another quick little update. :goodvibes

So when I got laid off from my job in June (because the plant is closing), they gave us no notice. I was told on Friday afternoon that I didn't have a job on Monday. Because of this, they owe us termination pay because there is no way I will ever get called back to work. It has been a fight to get said pay. I finally got ahold of someone on Friday, and found out what I need to do to get my pay, and I should have it by the next pay period! This pay will be more than enough to pay for our entire trip!!! So as long as I can find a job soon, and get the time off to go on a trip, I won't need to worry about saving up, I can use that money towards extra bill payments, or building back up our savings account or something! At the very least, this money will take some stress off of the job situation for a bit. I feel kind of tacky talking about money but it is really nice to be getting what I deserve from the company, and I hope that it will be able to help us take this trip!

Also, this is really going to impress you… are you ready?
…
…

DH brought up the trip today and we had an actual discussion about it!! I was shocked!! He talked about when we would go (and pros and cons to each time), he talked about things that he wanted to do, places he wanted to eat, we looked at pictures online, it was really something! Usually he sort of just agrees to go with me because I love it, and he doesn't really talk about it. But he seemed really excited for the 2 of us to take a trip together. That makes me really happy :goodvibes I like that he is getting involved, I think that we would both enjoy the trip a lot more that way.

Here are some of the basic points of the conversation:
- He really wants to go in December, he thinks he will like it better (as I thought lol)
- He has to go to school one more time for 2 months to complete his licensing for work, which could put a wrench in the December plans
- January-February 2014 is another option if December wouldn't work
- He loves the idea of staying at WL
- He WANTS to visit all of the parks and have time to see things
- He likes the idea of a 3 day cruise to make sure he likes it before he is stuck out there for 7 days lol

So basically, I know him pretty well! I am even more excited for this now, knowing how much he is on board! Once the job situation is figured out, this trip is ON!!

Krysten,

That is definitely good news! I am hoping and praying your 2013 starts looking up! If you were to find a job now, you should have built up vacation days by the time you need to go, so that will help out a great deal.

I've got another quick little update. :goodvibes

So when I got laid off from my job in June (because the plant is closing), they gave us no notice. I was told on Friday afternoon that I didn't have a job on Monday. Because of this, they owe us termination pay because there is no way I will ever get called back to work. It has been a fight to get said pay. I finally got ahold of someone on Friday, and found out what I need to do to get my pay, and I should have it by the next pay period! This pay will be more than enough to pay for our entire trip!!! So as long as I can find a job soon, and get the time off to go on a trip, I won't need to worry about saving up, I can use that money towards extra bill payments, or building back up our savings account or something! At the very least, this money will take some stress off of the job situation for a bit. I feel kind of tacky talking about money but it is really nice to be getting what I deserve from the company, and I hope that it will be able to help us take this trip!

Also, this is really going to impress you… are you ready?
…
…

DH brought up the trip today and we had an actual discussion about it!! I was shocked!! He talked about when we would go (and pros and cons to each time), he talked about things that he wanted to do, places he wanted to eat, we looked at pictures online, it was really something! Usually he sort of just agrees to go with me because I love it, and he doesn't really talk about it. But he seemed really excited for the 2 of us to take a trip together. That makes me really happy :goodvibes I like that he is getting involved, I think that we would both enjoy the trip a lot more that way.

Here are some of the basic points of the conversation:
- He really wants to go in December, he thinks he will like it better (as I thought lol)
- He has to go to school one more time for 2 months to complete his licensing for work, which could put a wrench in the December plans
- January-February 2014 is another option if December wouldn't work
- He loves the idea of staying at WL
- He WANTS to visit all of the parks and have time to see things
- He likes the idea of a 3 day cruise to make sure he likes it before he is stuck out there for 7 days lol

So basically, I know him pretty well! I am even more excited for this now, knowing how much he is on board! Once the job situation is figured out, this trip is ON!!

That is awesome news! So great that you should be getting the money that you are owed for being let go. The good thing about waiting until January would be that it is (except for the holiday weekend) the cheapest time to go! I would love to stay at WL someday. How awesome for you guys! I know my DH doesn't really get all into the planning like I do, so when he wants to talk about it I get super excited and happy about it. Sounds like similar to you guys!

Krysten,

That is definitely good news! I am hoping and praying your 2013 starts looking up! If you were to find a job now, you should have built up vacation days by the time you need to go, so that will help out a great deal.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate how kind everyone is here!

That is awesome news! So great that you should be getting the money that you are owed for being let go. The good thing about waiting until January would be that it is (except for the holiday weekend) the cheapest time to go! I would love to stay at WL someday. How awesome for you guys! I know my DH doesn't really get all into the planning like I do, so when he wants to talk about it I get super excited and happy about it. Sounds like similar to you guys!

Yeah, it is about time that they pay me what they owe me! I am okay with postponing it until January if need be. DH and I are both just really excited to have some time away together! I was definitely excited when DH brought it up - I had to stop and think about whether I misheard him or something lol

Dining, dining, dining!

I've been thinking about where we are going to eat on this trip, because trip planning is much more fun to think about than anything else :rotfl:. I asked DH where he would like to eat, and he mentioned a few places, but for the most part, he said that he doesn't really care as long as there is food! I have a few favourites that I always try to get in, and I always try to eat at a minimum of 1 new restaurant a trip as well. Right now, I have a pretty huge list of places I'm considering. I'm going to write about each one here, and weigh some pros and cons (I'm nerdy and like making lists, even if they are redundant). As the trip gets closer, the list will definitely get smaller and smaller!

I'll start with in-park restaurants. And they aren't really in any particular order! Also, right now, I'm just doing TS restaurants that I'll need to make ADRs for.

Magic Kingdom

1. Be Our Guest
DSCN0160_zps2fb91140.jpg

I ate here in December and I really love it! I need to get back in so that I can take some more pictures with a better camera. DH has never been, so this would be a new one for him. I'm not sure if we will do this as a sit-down though. I'm not crazy enough about the dinner menu to use a TS credit on it, and we have more flexibility with a QS lunch. This would also be a way to help me narrow down my list for TS options. I know that it is more of a risk to not make an ADR, but I think that I'm okay with that.

Pros:
- It is beautiful
- Can do a QS lunch
- I need more pictures!

Cons:
- I'm not crazy about the menu
- Lunch was good, but it didn't blow me away
- May not get in at lunch
- May not get an ADR

2. Crystal Palace
*I can't find a picture on photobucket right now, I'll have to add one later*

We've eaten at Crystal Palace a few times in the past, and I enjoy it. It is such a pretty restaurant, and I really like the Winnie the Pooh characters. I'm not sure how DH will feel about a character meal with just the two of us, so this one could get cut, but we will have to wait and see! I've eaten Breakfast and Dinner here and enjoyed both. This would be a great way to get myself in the park before it is open (finally!).

Pros:
- Good food
- Pretty
- Winnie the Pooh characters
- We've had good service in the past
- Possibly an early ADR

Cons:
- We've been there quite a few times already
- DH may not be into the character dining

3. Liberty Tree Tavern
DSC04798.jpg

This is another old favourite. I love the "Thanksgiving" dinner. Mashed potatoes, veggies, mac and cheese! Delicious. DH also likes it here, so it is a win-win. All-you-can-eat is also a favourite of DH's. You'd never know it to look at him, but the man can eat!

Pros:
- Good food
- All-you-can-eat for DH
- Good service in the past

Cons:
- We've eaten here before
- No new foods to try
- I can't eat the salad

4. Tony's Town Square
DSC03851.jpg

We ate here on our honeymoon, and this is one of the restaurants that DH said he wanted to eat at again when I asked him. It wasn't my favourite, but I liked it. As you can see, there was hardly anyone else in there when we went, so we had a wonderful view. It is a very cute restaurant, and we enjoy the Italian food. I've read some bad reviews lately, which make me a bit nervous, but we are pretty easy-going so hopefully if we do choose this one, things run smoothly.

Pros:
- Food
- Atmosphere
- DH's pick

Cons:
- Bad recent reviews
- Service wasn't outstanding
- We've eaten here before

Hollywood Studios

1. Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre
*No picture right now*

This is another new one for both of us. My family has eaten here before, but we have not. It looks like such a cute little place.

Pros:
- New Restaurant!
- Neat atmosphere
- I think DH would enjoy it

Cons:
- I'm not sure about the food for myself
- There is a chance you won't get a "car"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter