2024 Melbourne, Florida - What To Do? - Recommendations Please

I was just looking at "new posts" and came across this. As it so happens, I live in Viera. :)

Launches are pretty frequently delayed or canceled so I wouldn't get my hopes too high. But if looking for a spot in this immediate area you might check out River Rocks (note that there are two "sides" to this restaurant and you'll want the more casual dock-side that is open air). Not a great choice if stormy. Grills Seafood is down the street from that (there's also one out at Port Canaveral) and would also have a view.

Viera Pizza at the 7-11 has new owners and management and I agree is not as good. The owner of the "old" spot, has a new one - Mr. Delicious - that's up Viera Boulevard by the Long Doggers. I also think Pozzy Bros in the Publix shopping center on Stadium is pretty good too.
Small world - this is a beautiful area - I’d love to move here.

Thanks for the suggestions :goodvibes

I hope you are not impacted by the storms today. I saw there were some bad ones going through the Melbourne area.

I spend a week there every October umpiring the World Championships and a week in January umpiring the Challenge Cup.
Avoid the pizza place inside the 7-11, it used to be great but has been horrible since they re-opened after COVID.
Very cool - good for you - umpiring is not an easy job.

We’ll stay away from the pizza place - we’re doing no pizza anyway this trip - we can get that at home 🙂

I hope you are not impacted by the storms today. I saw there were some bad ones going through the Melbourne area.
Unfortunately we are - we started our game at 11:30am and it’s now 3:00pm and it’s still not complete due to lightning delays. Our next game is supposed to be at 4:30pm, so we’ll see if that gets delayed or not played at all.
Hope you guys are enjoying the trip so far, Sandy/. It sounds like you are!! And games played yet?
We are having a fantastic time - it’s been nice to jump off the merry go round for awhile. The team played and won both games yesterday. The current game we are winning 10-4. I’m hoping this game can get complete soon - the girls are starving. Rain/Storm delays are the worst - throws the whole day off.

Question….My DH saw that a launch is scheduled for tomorrow 3/14 at 8:30pm. Where should we go to watch this? We figured we’ll get a bite to eat and then go watch that. Thanks for any suggestions you have

- local news: "
Unfavorable weather conditions could pose problems Tuesday for SpaceX's next launch from Kennedy Space Center.

Set for liftoff at 8:30 p.m. EDT, a Falcon 9 rocket and uncrewed Dragon cargo capsule could contend with cloudy conditions and strong upper-level winds high above pad 39A. Space Force forecasters on Monday predicted a 50% chance of "go" conditions for SpaceX's 27th contracted cargo resupply mission

SpaceX has an instantaneous launch window Tuesday, meaning that Falcon 9 must liftoff exactly on time or delay to another day. If a delay is necessary, forecasters expect "favorable weather for the backup window Wednesday evening," with conditions predicted to improve to 95% "go" around the same time,"

IF they launch and it isn't too cloudy you could actually "see" the launch from the hotel or stadium parking lot - just watch to the northeast. About 1 minute after you see the flame you'll hear the rumble. Of course going to the beach and/or north simply gives you a better view. Going due east to the beach near Patrick Space Force Base gives a mostly over water view so you'll have the rocket come into you view 'lower'. NOTE tho: the launch is 8:30 with sundown at 7:30 - Patrick beaches 'proper' close at sunset (security does patrol) but go just north or south of the base and beach access is easy .... parking at almost every cross street. p.s. it is turtle nesting season ....

1678738508645.png

Next heading north to Cocoa Pier is a popular viewing location. Grills riverside is about as far north as Patrick - with an outside bar (on US-1).

And a bit of a drive but prime viewing is Grills at the port (or any of the water side restaurants) where you'll be CLOSE - but they will probably have crowds so need to go early to stake out a seat ....

FloridaToday.com has quick updates about launch status and IF it goes usually goes LIVE VIDEO from about 10 minutes b4 . . .

got to see this one from on the Space Center property

Last edited:
Unfortunately we are - we started our game at 11:30am and it’s now 3:00pm and it’s still not complete due to lightning delays. Our next game is supposed to be at 4:30pm, so we’ll see if that gets delayed or not played at all.

We are having a fantastic time - it’s been nice to jump off the merry go round for awhile. The team played and won both games yesterday. The current game we are winning 10-4. I’m hoping this game can get complete soon - the girls are starving. Rain/Storm delays are the worst - throws the whole day off.
At least once the lightning delay is done they can go back and play. That turf is playable in almost anything. I've only been stopped one time for rain without lightning, in the old Disney days you'd be done for the rest of the day with any amount of rain and questionable the next day.

Reactions: slo

Question….My DH saw that a launch is scheduled for tomorrow 3/14 at 8:30pm. Where should we go to watch this? We figured we’ll get a bite to eat and then go watch that. Thanks for any suggestions you have

Unfavorable weather conditions could pose problems Tuesday for SpaceX's next launch from Kennedy Space Center.

Set for liftoff at 8:30 p.m. EDT, a Falcon 9 rocket and uncrewed Dragon cargo capsule could contend with cloudy conditions and strong upper-level winds high above pad 39A. Space Force forecasters on Monday predicted a 50% chance of "go" conditions for SpaceX's 27th contracted cargo resupply mission

SpaceX has an instantaneous launch window Tuesday, meaning that Falcon 9 must liftoff exactly on time or delay to another day. If a delay is necessary, forecasters expect "favorable weather for the backup window Wednesday evening," with conditions predicted to improve to 95% "go" around the same time,"

IF they launch and it isn't too cloudy you could actually "see" the launch from the hotel or stadium parking lot - just watch to the northeast. About 1 minute after you see the flame you'll hear the rumble. Of course going to the beach and/or north simply gives you a better view. Going due east to the beach near Patrick Space Force Base gives an all over water view so you'll have the rocket come into you view 'lower'. NOTE tho: the launch is 8:30 with sundown at 7:30 - Patrick beaches 'proper' close at sunset (security does patrol) but go just north or south of the base and beach access is easy .... parking at almost every cross street. p.s. it is turtle nesting season ....

Next heading north to Cocoa Pier is a popular viewing location. Grills riverside is about as far north as Patrick - with an outside bar (on US-1).

And a bit of a drive but prime viewing is Grills at the port (or any of the water side restaurants) where you'll be CLOSE - but they will probably have crowds so need to go early to stake out a seat ....

FloridaToday.com has quick updates about launch status and IF it goes usually goes LIVE VIDEO from about 10 minutes b4 . . .

Thank you for the update, suggestions and link. It would be very awesome if we could see it, but I heard that launches get postponed easily. Thanks again! 🙂
That's great!!!

Sounds good to me. :woohoo::cheer2:
This is a great team - no drama and they’re fighters - they’re fun to watch 🙂

Thank you for the update, suggestions and link. It would be very awesome if we could see it, but I heard that launches get postponed easily. Thanks again! 🙂

You guys could always go to WDW, just throwing it out there (only 1 hour and 30 minutes away technically).

I’m rooting for your daughter’s team in spirit @slo.

Grimaldi's candies.The most luscious chocolate covered potato chips!

PUBLIX carries them around here .... I've seen them in the wine section .... :rolleyes1

we’re doing no pizza anyway this trip - we can get that at home

Understand but do recommend checking out the menu for pizza gallery in Avenue ...... they have some pretty unusual pizza choices AND a substantial menu other than pizza. I think it is one of the best chick' parm' dishes I've ever had. Salad house dressing is SUPER yummy and folks go just for their garlic knots!

And they are big supporters of the local (Viera) high school sports and band - or were went daughter was a student anyway . . .

I owe you an apology .... I'm sure your late afternoon game is rained out .... my fault.

I live very near those fields and this morning I

washed the car
watered plants that looked a lil dry
and added water to the pool

any ONE would have prompted mother nature to provide rain :worship:

my weather app says partly cloudy and around 70 tomorrow . . .

:flower1:

Small world - this is a beautiful area - I’d love to move here.

Thanks for the suggestions :goodvibes
I’ve been looking at Melbourne as a potential early semi-retirement spot ..it’s relatively affordable but I haven’t spent much time there. I‘m more familiar with the New Smyrna Beach area, so glad to hear you say that!

You guys could always go to WDW, just throwing it out there (only 1 hour and 30 minutes away technically).
DH and I went to DS on Saturday and it was really crowded.
I’m rooting for your daughter’s team in spirit @slo.
Thanks Buzz - I appreciate that :goodvibes
I owe you an apology .... I'm sure your late afternoon game is rained out .... my fault.

I live very near those fields and this morning I

washed the car
watered plants that looked a lil dry
and added water to the pool

any ONE would have prompted mother nature to provide rain :worship:

my weather app says partly cloudy and around 70 tomorrow . . .

:flower1:
LOL!
Yep…all those things are definitely activities that bring rain - LOL!
Our 4:30pm game finally started at 7:30pm, so we did get both games in 🙂👍🏻
I’ve been looking at Melbourne as a potential early semi-retirement spot ..it’s relatively affordable but I haven’t spent much time there. I‘m more familiar with the New Smyrna Beach area, so glad to hear you say that!
It really is very nice - I’m liking it a lot more than The Gulf side of the state. I know I haven’t been here long, but I just told my DH last night that I like it here more than when we go to the Clearwater area.

great burgers http://cabanashorestikibar.com/ ... looks like a biker bar but family friendly and great food

https://www.grillsseafood.com/ great riverside location not far from Cabana but this one is waterside . . . I like Cabanna better but we go here regularly too .....

indoor carting https://www.route7entertainment.com/

there are a number of folks who offer kayak trips thru the mangrove areas ..... and several 'pontoon boat' type tours to see manatee etc etc. example: https://www.spacecoastrivertours.com/

Airboat ride: http://www.twisterairboatrides.com/ ... this is just one of several companies in the area.

if you want beach with other people and life guards then Jetty Park or the Cocoa Pier areas .... want to be alone then look at the beach access around Patrick AFB/SFB especially at the south end where SR-404 ends . . <this is quiet unless the surf is up THEN popular surfer spots - fun to watch>

there are two venues for this type of sports event in the area ... one is very near 'the avenue' shopping/entertainment "open air mall" https://www.avenueviera.com/ ..... we like Pizza Gallery here! https://pizzagalleryandgrill.com/ AND http://tuscanygrill.net/
View attachment 737306
the other ....... well I hope not . . fields may be OK but the entire venue has a BAD history over the last few years. Are you on Stadium Parkway or SR - 520?????
View attachment 737305

A port canaveral channel side restaurant when the ships are departing is very fun if you've never seen before. I like GRILLS at the port but there are several other restaurants in a line on the same road ...... ships tend to leave between 4 and 6 ..... schedule can be found at https://www.portcanaveral.com/getat...ite-Schedule-Jan-May-2023.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

view from Grills at the port
grills-seafood-30.jpg

BIG P.S. ... check your dates against the launch schedule ...... while the launches are not nearly the big deal they were years back they are still exciting if you've never seen one ....

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
just an example site ... search space launch schedule and see other/better/more readable
We went here last night for dinner.
We didn’t get burgers though - I got a Mahi wrap and DH got shrimp tacos - both were very very good.
Thanks again for the suggestion :goodvibes

IF they launch and it isn't too cloudy you could actually "see" the launch from the hotel or stadium parking lot - just watch to the northeast. About 1 minute after you see the flame you'll hear the rumble. Of course going to the beach and/or north simply gives you a better view. Going due east to the beach near Patrick Space Force Base gives a mostly over water view so you'll have the rocket come into you view 'lower'. NOTE tho: the launch is 8:30 with sundown at 7:30 - Patrick beaches 'proper' close at sunset (security does patrol) but go just north or south of the base and beach access is easy .... parking at almost every cross street. p.s. it is turtle nesting season ....

View attachment 746039

D12B96CA-64A4-402E-A16B-AEBA7ABC3E27.jpeg

I took this picture last night.
Thanks for this suggestion - we had a lot of fun watching the launch from there and the food was great! 👍🏼👍🏼

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter