2022 no magical express announced

I'll puppy sit when you go!

All this talk of no more DME has me rethinking a lot of things. I have been putting off getting a new puppy until after a trip to Disneyland and another trip to DisneyWorld. If Disney keeps putting up roadblocks (like taking away perks and not bringing back shows and fireworks) I might just decide to put all that vacation money into a new puppy sooner.

WDW is cutting back so much. First most resorts except for a campsite now charge a parking fee if you drive a vehicle and park in their parking lot. Second they no longer provide complimentary Magic Bands to resort guests and now, no complimentary transportation (Magical Express) from MCO (Orlando airport). Our family vacation is now sadly getting more expensive every time we go and it's not because of the accommodations.

This makes me sad .. between no meting hours for guests currently if those don’t come back .. is it worth staying on-site anymore ?
what would us take for you to move off-site ?

For the record, we already prefer off-site. Just a lot nicer vacation - BUT, the kids definitely preferred on-site, and we had promised them that we would stay on-site next time, if at all possible. So with that said...

For us, it isn't even just the on-site/off-site issue, but losing DME also makes the difference between driving and flying. The only reason my husband was willing to consider flying (he despises flying) was because Disney provided all transportation. We wouldn't need to rent a car, or hassle with arranging shuttles, getting taxis/ubers etc... Now that that perk is gone, there's no reason to fly.

So then, if we're going to drive, we might as well stay off-site. Why? It's cheaper, better accommodations, more relaxing and since well have our car, we'll be able to go explore other places. At this point, probably the only thing that will force us on site is the new early morning guest entry program. That is really a killer to any off-site guest who utilizes rope drop strategy (which we do).

So, based on the information we have thus far (always subject to change depending on what Disney pulls out of its hat next), I think our trip will probably change thus:

Original Plan: a full week spent on-site at All-Star Movies, buying a 4-day park pass and one character meal. We would also do a day at Disney Springs, going to the NBA Experience, dinner at Raglan Road, do the hot air balloon etc...

New (Tentative) Plan: spend a full week off-site, and 2-3 nights on site. We'll buy a one-day park hopper pass to go along with the 1-day park hopper comp tickets we already have (so 2 Disney days instead of 5). Probably will still do the character meal, but no Disney Springs. Instead, we'll spend the rest of our time/money doing other Florida attractions.

I'm thinking that Mears will start to offer a similar service but for a price. They could coordinate trips to resorts just like Disney did, there are still going to be thousands of people coming into the airport each day. We never used the luggage part of it anyway, I like to have my things with me. I agree taking away a free service is never a great thing but if they have to make cuts this one's not a deal breaker for me. To be fair, I'm so desperate to get back there I'm not sure what a deal breaker would be, I will go at any cost :-)

I’m gonna miss the luggage service. It was one of my favourite things when we had a flight that landed early in the day.

I think the cuts to service are just something that needs to be done at this time. As the travel situation normalizes I think that these perks will return but in a different way. Maybe a few years from now the over all quality will improve and guests will be happier.

I remember the time before magical express and ever since it started we always used it and never rented a car. It will be missed as it was the start of the vacation and Disney bubble for us and also so easy with the kids. Makes the case for Aulani and Disneyland more for me! We will go back but it may be a while.

My daughter and I financed DVC points and still have a few more years to go. Definitely regretting our purchase now.

I remember before DME was an option. Mears was the official means of busing to WDW, with a cost attached, of course. When you stayed on site the reservation that you received in the mail had a $5.00 (or was it $7?) off coupon in the envelope for Mears transportation.
Having to pay for each person, the town cars were economical options for families back then. Mears bus was an inexpensive option for a solo traveller or couples.

Extra magic hours are also relatively recent additions. At first it was just Early Entry for resort guests (one hour early entry each morning at one of the theme parks). Monday would be the MK, Tuesday morning it would be at the AK, Wednesday morning was DHS, Thursday was Epcot and so on. AN extra half hour at all the theme parks gives resort guests a head start before the arrival of off site guests, but with all theme parks involved, rope dropping for off site would probably still be an advantage over coming later in the day. Resort guests will be spread over four parks and not all will get up early for the extra half hour.

Taking away costly extras is not surprising with the reduction of income that WDW has had in recent months and will likely continue to have going forward for quite some time. It isn't just the keeping people safe from Covid, but the effect on the economy and travel that will require changes.

It is sad to lose DME, but I am not surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter