2022 Gulf Shores Mini Dismeet (Not Memorial Day Weekend)

Arc, what exactly are your in/out dates at GSP? ED

Sounds great, Joe. I think we can help with the surgery recovery and definitely the drink part. We don't have any specific plans. Probably just hang at the beach and pier and campground.

j

I was looking at the GSP web site to see what is new or different since my last visit (summer 2021). The new lodge was open last year, but I didn't look into it much. There are 4 "restaurants" in the new lodge with a variety of options (breakfast buffet, coffee/wine bar, steaks and seafood with a Gulf view). Here is a summary from the GSP web site. I plan on checking out some of these in 2 weeks.

1649248044320.png

j

Last edited:

A little update I was able to add Sunday and Monday April 17/18. We'll be in site 210 those days then move to the back site 272 on Tuesday. Look forward to seeing everyone.

An adult dinner at the lodge sounds good. Wonder if they are open during week nights and what the seasonal dates are. Maybe I will try and call.

An adult dinner at the lodge sounds good. Wonder if they are open during week nights and what the seasonal dates are. Maybe I will try and call.
I was thinking the coffee/wine bar for a DIS Meet. I figure if I have enough wine, I'll just hang out until they open for coffee. :)

The Perch says Wednesday-Sunday 5-11pm. The rest appear to be open everyday.

j

I’ll be “single” for most of the trip during the week. DW has work plus her parents will be in town so Monday-Friday I’m open for anything. She will be with me for the weekend we check in.o

I called down to GSP and dropped Saturday April 16th. My race team mate's oldest son (Ian's room mate in Ukraine until they were 2) is getting married on Saturday the 16th. He is getting married in Southern Illinois, so it is 2 hours closer to GSP. Driving down there Friday after work and hanging out with his parents who will be there in their 5er. We'll leave early Sunday morning and head straight to GSP. Should be in by dinner time on Easter. The wedding is at 4:30pm. I'm debating how rude it would be to leave the reception part way through and getting a few hours closer to GSP on Saturday night.

The good news though. I usually plan on heading for home on Saturday. GSP is about 12 hours and I'll drive straight through, but it gives us Sunday to unload, do laundry and get settled before heading back to work on Monday. Apparently I originally booked to stay until Sunday the 24th. We'll see what weather is like and decide if we leave Saturday afternoon and stay overnight somewhere half way or just leave early Sunday morning. Getting home at 7 or 8 in the evening isn't too bad.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

j

As fyi:

I've had to cancel my reservation, with regrets, for next week at GSP. We have an extended family member with a health situation that requires our support and we can't commit to a camping stay in Gulf Shores.

However .....

I have received permission to make a long, extended day-trip to Gulf Shores to "say hello" and sit in the sun but I have to be home same day. I've done a round trip drive to GSP before and it's not bad (especially if I leave early).

My best day to make a round trip visit would be Thursday April 21 although the day before/after are a possibility. I'll wait to see what works best for those present (if they even care).

Arc has a birthday celebration so I don't want to miss my contribution to the party!

ED

PS - made a reservation for this time next year last night for Gator Road (past the pool/store area) in a lake front site. When I cancelled I learned that sites become available at midnight for the max booking window (a year in advance). Although it took 15 minutes (after midnight) for the system to show everything as I expected to see it (it was tough staying up past midnight, Jim. Like you staying up to 9pm). So after years of being around Live Oak Rd and Comfort Station #1, I'll be on Gator next year.

@bama_ed, Hope all goes well with your family member. Let us know what works best for you, we will adapt. Keep in touch

Sorry to hear you had to cancel, but family first. Glad you're going to make the drive over. We have no plans for the week. We'll be there when you are.

j

PS - made a reservation for this time next year last night for Gator Road (past the pool/store area) in a lake front site. When I cancelled I learned that sites become available at midnight for the max booking window (a year in advance). Although it took 15 minutes (after midnight) for the system to show everything as I expected to see it (it was tough staying up past midnight, Jim. Like you staying up to 9pm). So after years of being around Live Oak Rd and Comfort Station #1, I'll be on Gator next year.

I wanted to add that the reason I reserved a site on Gator Rd is thanks to @rocketmom. She's mentioned in the past that it's her favorite area of Gulf SP so I decided to try it out on a future visit. It's past the pool/campstore complex in the center of the park and the next loop to the right and has several campsites along Middle Lake (as does my favorite area along Live Oak Rd).

So I got waterfront on one side of me and I'm across the road from one of the newly refurbed Comfort Stations (hope DW will be proud of me).

Ed

PS - sometimes I can be too predictable. For example, my favorite Chinese take-out lunch is szechuan chicken, fried rice, and hot-and-sour soup. I would get it EVERY time I went there. Getting a site around Live Oak was me being predictable. So reserving a Gator Rd site is my version of taking a flyer and ordering pepper steak with steamed rice and egg drop soup instead.

I wanted to add that the reason I reserved a site on Gator Rd is thanks to @rocketmom. She's mentioned in the past that it's her favorite area of Gulf SP so I decided to try it out on a future visit. It's past the pool/campstore complex in the center of the park and the next loop to the right and has several campsites along Middle Lake (as does my favorite area along Live Oak Rd).

So I got waterfront on one side of me and I'm across the road from one of the newly refurbed Comfort Stations (hope DW will be proud of me).

Ed

PS - sometimes I can be too predictable. For example, my favorite Chinese take-out lunch is szechuan chicken, fried rice, and hot-and-sour soup. I would get it EVERY time I went there. Getting a site around Live Oak was me being predictable. So reserving a Gator Rd site is my version of taking a flyer and ordering pepper steak with steamed rice and egg drop soup instead.
You're going to love Gator Road! I'm sad I won't be staying there next week because I couldn't find a site there, but I'm going to give Possum a chance. I'm also sad I won't be seeing you and DW there next week. Guess I'll be leaving about the time everyone else gets there.

@bama_ed I’m so saddened. Guess I will have to be in charge of puzzle time.

Got out and washed the camper today. It was definitely in need of a good cleaning.

I need to go get this Equalizer hitch I got from @PaHunter installed. I had sumo springs installed on the truck and they did help with the sway some but still not much better. @Teamubr also recommended I get E rated tires for my truck so going to look into that.

I'll have some puzzles too. I'm sure between us, we can get something going.

Nearly ready getting the coach dewinterized and addressing a few things from the Disney trip in January. I had to make a list, but have everything checked off. I did replace the brakes on the trailer and pack the bearings before I made this list. Now I just have to get some groceries and finish putting spices, coffee, tea and dry goods that I leave all season.

1649629455036.png

5 more days and we will be on our way.

j

Sorry you have to cancel Ed. You know we love Gator Road. My favorite site is 215 and it look like it will be available next year. It' a few days early yet to reserve. I'm also torn between GSP and the Fort. We love Spring Break at the Fort. With the purchase I made yesterday the Fort will probably win. I have been wanting my own golf cart for years and finally jumped on a good deal I found. Only need to fix a few things before Halloween
Golfcart.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter