2022 Gulf Shores Mini Dismeet (Not Memorial Day Weekend)

tigger92662

They're more like guidelines than actual rules
So, we plan a yearly trip with a couple that we have camped with for many years. He likes the mountains, she likes the beach.
Last year they went to Colorado, so we were discussing places to go.
We have been to Myrtle Beach, and liked it, but were also discussing other places.
Our friend had said he had heard about Gulf Shores, so I messaged @bama_ed (our resident expert on this facility) to get some intel. Turns out he's already booked there.
We will be there April 16th- April 23rd.
So far it's us, @Teamubr, @bama_ed, and 2 other couples from the the Chicago-ish area, and believe me, we here are about ready to get the heck outta Dodge.
Pre trip report will be coming soon

Unfortunately, too far for me to travel yet. Have a local trip last weekend of April. Also need to swap out my hot water heater at some point this season.

We will be there April 11-17 on Opossum Road. I've had this booked for a while. The stop in Gulf Shores is part of a 3-week, winter is over, celebratory camping trip! Can't wait to be back in Gulf Shores and camping again!

Last edited:
Sounds like fun, but too far south for us to make a weekend out of it. Good thing is I booked us a 3 day weekend at Devils Backbone Breweries base camp. It is just adults on the trip and a walk to the brewery.

Looking forward to another week at the beach and my quarterly get together with @bama_ed. The water will still be pretty cold, but we'll be at the beach!

Yep, it will be about time for another meeting, won't it Jim?

We will be there April 11-17 on Gator Road. I've had this booked for a while. The stop in Gulf Shores is part of a 3-week, winter is over, celebratory camping trip! Can't wait to be back in Gulf Shores and camping again!

Outstanding, @rocketmom. And a 3-week spring trip? Now THAT'S something I can aspire to.

So, we plan a yearly trip with a couple that we have camped with for many years. He likes the mountains, she likes the beach.

Our friend had said he had heard about Gulf Shores, so I messaged @bama_ed (our resident expert on this facility) to get some intel. Turns out he's already booked there.
We will be there April 16th- April 23rd.

Wow this is turning into a full-fledged DISMeet indeed.

April is generally a nice time to be there. Spring break crowds are gone, weather is pleasant, nights cool, bugs not bad. Spring rains are about the worst thing I can come up with (other than hurricanes).

We are booked on Live Oak across the road from Middle Lake from April 14-28 (Thurs to Thurs) but won't use all of that. We will trim it down closer to time but it will be a week more/less. I always agitate for more/longer and DW tops out at a week most times.

Looking forward to it.

Ed

PS - Joe do your friend couples have a Yankee accent too? :duck:

I edited my post to correct the loop we are in. We are in Possum (as we say in KY:)) not Gator. We usually stay in Gator but I couldn't get it for this trip.

We will be there April 11-17.
We will just miss you. I have a reservation to arrive on the 16th, but my former race team teammate's son is getting married on the 16th. He is getting married in Southern Illinois, so that is 2 1/2 hours closer to GSP, but not close enough. We should be there Sunday (17th) afternoon.

j

We will just miss you. I have a reservation to arrive on the 16th, but my former race team teammate's son is getting married on the 16th. He is getting married in Southern Illinois, so that is 2 1/2 hours closer to GSP, but not close enough. We should be there Sunday (17th) afternoon.

j
Sorry to miss you. We are headed to Fort Pickens in Pensacola on the 17th, not too far away from Gulf Shores.

Fort Pickens is a Recreation.gov campsite, right Mom?

Not far from Gulf Shores and P-cola certainly but you have to go the long way around to get to it from the eastern side of P-cola. It sure does look nice and quiet and remote. I want to try it some time.

Ed

Fort Pickens is a Recreation.gov campsite, right Mom?

Not far from Gulf Shores and P-cola certainly but you have to go the long way around to get to it from the eastern side of P-cola. It sure does look nice and quiet and remote. I want to try it some time.

Ed
Fort Pickens is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, so it's a national park campground. You can make reservations on the Recreation.gov website 6 months in advance. It's remote and very beautiful. When the Blue Angels practice, you have a front row seat, especially if you climb to the top of the fort. The campground has electric and water, but no sewer at the sites, but there is a sewer dump on each camping loop. I think it takes us about an hour and a half to get there from Gulf Shores. We love it there and try to go in the spring and fall. You should definitely try it sometime.

For those that haven't heard, yours truly will be there too. @tigger92662 had one of their other friends that isn't going to be able to go so I'm sliding in to that space :)

Wow hoo.

That's great. We are still heading over to Pace one day to check out retirement lots. Hopefully we can get a tour guide to go with us and point out the "good" places.

j

PS, we will have to do something one night as a late 40th birthday celebration for me. I turn 40 on April 1 so would love to celebrate with my DIS friends on night.

Cake?

Candles?

Ice Cream?

Cigars?

Rum?

Can I invite my friend Jobu?

giphy.gif

Ed

Hello Everyone. Just by luck we'll be there for part of this meet. I'm booked in the back #372 for April 19-24. But I'm trying to add a couple of days to the front. When you book late you don't get a choice on sites. It will be great to see a few Dis friends. I am recovering from back surgery so I probably won't be very active. This is a Spring Break trip for the kids which means the pool every day but we are usually free to drink and chat in the evening. BishopArc a party sounds really good. Let's do it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter