2020 or 2021? First trip as parents!

Aurora2018

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone!
A little background. My husband and I have been to WDW once before (2016) and we got engaged there! We are now planning our next trip with our daughter.
We are not sure whether to go 2020 or 2021. We would be going at the end of August/start of September. Our daughter would be 21 months if we go in 2020. We think she may be too young and since we would be travelling from Europe it may be a lot with jetlag etc.
We were considering 2021, she would then be 2 and a half years old. We feel she may be able to enjoy it more then. We would love to be there for the anniversary but we are worried crowds may be too much for our first trip as parents with a toddler!
I was wondering if you have travelled with toddlers before and/or have visited during a disney anniversary what's your advice?
Thank you ! :)

I took a 20 month old but we were traveling in the same time zone. I think either age will require flexibility.

She remembers flashes, like the fact she "didn't like dumbo when i a baby"

We took our DD on several trips (Disney, National Parks, Costa Rica) when she was 1-2.5 yr old and she doesn't remember them now except through watching the videos. For months immediately after the trip she would bring things up she saw or did but as grew older she forgot. But we as parents still have those memories and treasure them! She loved Disney at 2.5 because all the characters are real to them. Sometimes it might be hit or miss with being excited/scared but just roll with it. I personally lean ore towards 2-2.5 yr old because of decrease in need for naps. (my kids both quit napping at 2.5). However if you decide to add another child to your family you may not want to travel or do rides while pregnant ;)

We go to Disney often, as we only live a few driving hours away.....however we took DD( now 1) to visit my parents in the UK then went on to France. She was 6 months the first time, and 15 months when we went this year. At 6 months it was actually easier. This past trip, with the flight, time change etc, it was NOT a fun trip. We took my DS ( now 10) for the first time when he was nearly 3..... Much easier!!!! He was better able to be entertained on the long flight, and easier to console. I always encourage people to go to Disney, but in this situation I would suggest to wait until she is 2 1/2 in 2021. Obviously you know your child best, our flight time was 8 hours and 15 minutes. Not sure how long yours will be. The time change though was incredibly difficult both times. I hope you all have a magical trip whichever year you choose!

Edited to add, as far as crowds....2020 will be crowded due to SWGE, 2021 the 50 the anniversary and still I would guess a little from SWGE....bottom line, both are most likely to have crowds. Check a 2020 or 2021 crowd calendar for the best low crowd week, that will help greatly:)....in recent years the last week of August is fairly low, but a little more crowded over labor day the the second week of September seems to lessen in crowds again.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for your responses!!! They were SO helpful. We were both thinking 2021 would be a better time and you have just clarified that for us!
As for crowds I will check for calendars but I haven't found any yet for those dates, hopefully soon :)

We took our daughter this past November and she was 2.5 yo and it was a great age! She still remembers the trip and talks about it all the time. I would vote to hold off until 2021 when she is a little older.

I dont think it matters on the age except for the travel. traveling with a toddler is not fun if they are 1.5 or 2.5. The first time my ds22 went to disney he was 4. To this day the only thing he remembers is eating ice cream when the fireworks were happening. This trip would be about you having fun and spending time together. I dont know what your favorite thing to do is. Is it shows? Cause at 1 it was easier than 2 rides? Not that many for 1 year olds but they really enjoy all the things to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter