2019 Walt Disney Company Year End Earnings Report

Lodging is expected to be up 5% next year? What percentage of the bed base is Riviera?

If Lodging continues to operate near capacity, and capacity continues to grow, that isn't a bad thing for the bottom line.
I think the DVC model has worked well for Disney, and will serve them well for the near future.

I'd be curious to see what the next DVC project is after Reflections.

They have announced (or recently opened) somewhere around 2,000 rooms, which is a 4-5% increase in rooms based on the near 40k they have today.

"Disney says visits to US theme parks are being deferred until Galaxy's Edge is complete"

I'd love to know the source of the data for this claim.
Small sample size but I'm one of them. Ended up going to GE once it was apparent that RotR was delayed but making a return visit next year in part to get the whole experience (as well as run a half marathon that hopefully goes through GE). Otherwise they probably have survey data on this.

Lodging is expected to be up 5% next year? What percentage of the bed base is Riviera?

If Lodging continues to operate near capacity, and capacity continues to grow, that isn't a bad thing for the bottom line.
I think the DVC model has worked well for Disney, and will serve them well for the near future.

They didn't say lodging is expected to be up 5%. The booked rate so far is up 5% and that means the price people have paid so far for rooms booked is 5% higher. It tells us nothing about the occupancy or the overall revenue generated by all rooms compared to previous years.

Will be interesting to see how Riviera does and if they would consider adding DVC at more non-Deluxe resorts. would they even consider like an over the top themed DVC at Art of Animation now that it has the Skyliner? (maybe extreme but something along those lines)

Small sample size but I'm one of them. Ended up going to GE once it was apparent that RotR was delayed but making a return visit next year in part to get the whole experience (as well as run a half marathon that hopefully goes through GE). Otherwise they probably have survey data on this.

I am also an anecdotal case - we didn't have a next trip booked until they announced RotR opening and then we booked one 9and we haven't been yet since GE opened, so will be our first time seeing the land at all).

Now, we are a family that would have gone back again at some point, but RotR opening date firmed up a timeframe for us

That’s all domestic occupancy so it includes Disneyland too.

Iger "We don't look at individual price increases at the parks, we look big picture"

They do believe people are waiting for Rise of the Resistance.

Iger says both lands are doing way better than being reported.

Falcon has carried over 1.7 million people since it opened. Attraction satisfaction for Falcon is high.

So attendance is "comparable" to this time last year but GE is doing "way better" than is being reported?

Hmmmm.

Gotcha, Bob.

Christine Mary McCarthy -- Senior Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer

"So far this quarter, domestic resort reservations are comparable to prior year. We believe some guests are deferring to Disney Land and Walt Disney World until the complete opening of Galaxy's Edge at those respective locations."

One thing to consider is Disney's repeat customer base. They must have the data to understand who are first time lodging guests and first time disney visitors. Excluding DVC returners, it would be interesting to see how the return business is compared to previous years.

My hypothesis is that dedicated repeat customers are already on a schedule to go to disney on an annual or bi-annual business, and that Galaxy's edge did not change their plans. If they come every February, then they still do.

Then there is a segment that galaxy's edge either scared them away due to perceived over crowding, or attracted them because they wanted to be first to see the new land.

If would be cool to see a break down of revenue centers broken down between first time visitors and repeat visitors. Repeat visitors divided between dvc and non dvc.

I am also an anecdotal case - we didn't have a next trip booked until they announced RotR opening and then we booked one 9and we haven't been yet since GE opened, so will be our first time seeing the land at all).

Now, we are a family that would have gone back again at some point, but RotR opening date firmed up a timeframe for us

And then there will be those of us that will wait until MMRR opens before pulling the trigger on a visit to HS with SWGE.

So an interesting question might be are the three waves of openings (SWGE with MFSR, SWGE with RotR, and MMRR) have a higher overall revenue impact than if they opened all three at the same time for a single and longer duration massive wave? I'm only referencing revenue and not flattening crowd levels.

If they could have opened them all when they opened the first one, that might have been better, but opening them one at a time is definitely better than waiting until they're all ready to open to open them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter