2019 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 29-November 23, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is going on with ease of booking and wide open availability? We have been doing F&W annually since 2010 - my experience with booking has been chaos, things selling out (ie I have to call ASAP on the day booking opens), and frantically booking 1 or 2 days after the schedule was released (generally at the end of July). This year, I booked our room late 2018, then got busy with moving our family half way across the country. I haven't been paying attention to F&W news until today. I found out booking opened a few weeks ago and I fully expected to be shut out of every event.

I just booked everything we wanted including Sunday Brunch with Robert Irvine, Jet Tila, a cheese seminar, and WVL at PFTS. Why the wide open availability? I'm not complaining because I am thrilled we got the bookings despite my lack of diligence but what is going on? Has Star Wars changed everyone's booking plans or goals with respect to F&W? Theories??

Disney may have managed to kill the golden goose! I think a lot of us are over the continued high pricing, the hassle with booking and everything else.

What is going on with ease of booking and wide open availability?

It's a combination of things and I agree with what some of the others have said. One other thing I'd like to add is there are no new special events.

I'd also like to add that I'm one of those that no longer attends PFTS. I used to go every year but now the cost no longer makes sense to me

I agree with what everyone has already said. No new events to look forward to. The dumbing down of some events to a shell of what they used to be. Rising prices & lower quality. I did PFTS once many years ago way before the tiered categories & even back then I thought my money would be better spent on smaller events like the food & wine pairings that were in the different countries. They used to be only $30-35. The prices of the food at the booths is 2-3 times what it should be although they are serving bigger portions of some items. And the prices for the alcoholic beverages is 3-4 times what it should be giving the small sizes they give you. I get that it's Disney & they have a captive audience but they've managed to kill the goose at this point. And the crowds have become quite unmanageable & uncomfortable at times.

I’m not ready to give up on F&W just yet. I was underwhelmed by the special events (variety & frequency) this year but I’m hoping maybe this is a transitional year with the planned Future World changes to provide “switchable” festival space going forward. Could be wishful thinking.

Regarding PFTS... I am trying again this year. The 11/9 event has quite a roster - Bryan Voltaggio, Graham Elliot, Maneet Chauhan (Chopped), Rick Bayless, Tony Mantuano. I’m hopeful based on last year’s reviews that they’ve resolved the logistics issues that plagued the WVL option in 2017.

This will be my 11th festival and I have seen changes in portion size and quality. I lament the loss of some things like the sampler package, the special tour with the EPCOT chef, or the short-lived VIP areas I never got to try. And the prices. I’ve definitely booked fewer events than I usually do this year.

Maybe I’m crazy or my rose-colored glasses filter is too strong but I still love it. The general atmosphere. Trying new foods. I know there is sometimes talk of “the drunks” but I have met some really cool people sharing a table outside a kiosk or at a special event.

I'll report back on our experiences this year, I'm sure other will as well.
F&W this Oct is a special trip for me. I am looking forward to it. :flower:

the hassle with booking and everything else.

Agreed - booking has historically been a cluster every year. There just seem to be so many F&W diehards that I’m surprised that interest has fallen off that much.

I'd also like to add that I'm one of those that no longer attends PFTS. I used to go every year but now the cost no longer makes sense to me

We haven’t done PFTS in many years and decided to do so because Morimoto is listed the night we are there and because we didn’t snag a V&A chefs table ressie. I’m hoping we didn’t make a huge mistake but oh well - will need to make the best of it as it’s too late now.

I assume the dropping off in terms of interest explains the lack of resort/restaurant special F&W dinners as well.

I know we’ll enjoy the cheese seminar we signed up for (love these) and the Robert Irvine brunch which we’ve done before at least.

or the short-lived VIP areas I never got to try.

We loved these and are super bummed they didn’t survive!! We were also disappointed by lack of variety/frequency of special events/deminars.

We haven’t done PFTS in many years and decided to do so because Morimoto is listed the night we are there and because we didn’t snag a V&A chefs table ressie. I’m hoping we didn’t make a huge mistake but oh well - will need to make the best of it as it’s too late now.

The dish he did in 2017 was outstanding. Delicious and very creatively plated. He was very gracious, shaking hands with everyone and taking photos. I hope you enjoy!

Doing my first cheese seminar this year... happy to hear you enjoy them!

Regarding PFTS... I am trying again this year. The 11/9 event has quite a roster - Bryan Voltaggio, Graham Elliot, Maneet Chauhan (Chopped), Rick Bayless, Tony Mantuano. I’m hopeful based on last year’s reviews that they’ve resolved the logistics issues that plagued the WVL option in 2017.

Oh wow, I am so jealous, that is a fantastic line-up! Chef Chauhan was the featured chef for the burger block party we attended back in 2016, and not only did she have what I found to be the best burger of the night, which was shocking since it was a chicken burger and I usually hate non-beef burgers, but she was also amazing to meet. She spent so much time meeting all her fans and taking tons of pictures.

Enjoy the party, last year's was amazing compared to 2017, so I have a good feeling they figured out all the logistics! If they have the free Minnie-van service again this year I highly recommend it, it's a great way to arrive plus you get to check out all the backstage areas which is always fun to see!

If they have the free Minnie-van service again this year I highly recommend it, it's a great way to arrive plus you get to check out all the backstage areas which is always fun to see!
They do. If I remember from your review, you were staying at an Epcot resort and still used/found valuable? I’m not a stalker, LOL, but I am usually staying DVC at Beach Club and remember thinking when reading your report that it wouldn’t have occurred to me to use. I’m really excited!

We did our first 4 or 5 years ago. We didn’t expect to like them so much. Any cheese seminar is a must do for us. I hope you enjoy them!!

And super glad to hear you liked the Morimoto dish!!!

They do. If I remember from your review, you were staying at an Epcot resort and still used/found valuable? I’m not a stalker, LOL, but I am usually staying DVC at Beach Club and remember thinking when reading your report that it wouldn’t have occurred to me to use. I’m really excited!

Haha, no worries, I'm happy if any of my reviews help others! Yeah, we were at BC last year. Originally we thought it would be pointless to book the Minnie van since we were so close and had assumed they dropped you off at the front of the park, but when we found out that they would actually drop us off backstage next to World Showplace we changed our minds. In 2017 the line to get into Epcot at IG on Saturday evening was crazy long and took I think 20-30 minutes, then having to make our way through the crowds, and then having to wait to be let in was less than ideal. So having the Minnie Van eliminated 99% of our complaints from the previous year!

Arriving by Minnie van was amazing, you go through security backstage and there is no wait, then you get dropped off at the event, enter on a red carpet and are immediately brought inside to wait in the AC. Totally awesome, if there was a PFTS during our trip this year we would 100% take the complimentary Minnie van again, even though we are at YC!

Well all this demo discussion, it is really reinforcing my decision to skip them this year. Still debating on one of the dinners. We might just wait till that week and see if anything is open. We did that once and was able to hit a lunch at Tutto Gusto by just asking the day before at the headquarters area. Probably not likely with all that is going on this year. But having nothing available will make the decision for us. Super excited to try Wine Bar George and Jaleo this trip. Love that you can make reservations at both of those through Open Table, no cancellation penalty. Funny, this trip half our ressies are through Open Table.
Can you use Disney Gift Cards at Wine Bar George or Jaleo? I am thinking about trying them both this fall but we already have Homcomin' Brunch. Not sure how much Disney Springs time we can fit into the schedule with the uncertainty of SWGE, which is our priority.
Looking forward to this fall again. Got the Mediterranean Food and wine pairing for our son and his wide and the French Family Favorites for all 4 of us.
Loved the Tequila pairing last year, but it just didn't fit into the schedule. It was one of our favorites, and we plan to do it again.
We loved the French Traditional Meals last year!
I’m not ready to give up on F&W just yet.

Maybe I’m crazy or my rose-colored glasses filter is too strong but I still love it. The general atmosphere. Trying new foods. I know there is sometimes talk of “the drunks” but I have met some really cool people sharing a table outside a kiosk or at a special event.
This will be our 3rd F&W and we booked the Tequila Lunch (it's the only one we haven't done with the exception of the Hibachi Experience) The Japan one has me too worried since I'm allergic to shellfish..it seems a bunch of that event involves shellfish.

I am a Polyanna too so no judgement here!

This will be our 3rd F&W and we booked the Tequila Lunch (it's the only one we haven't done with the exception of the Hibachi Experience) The Japan one has me too worried since I'm allergic to shellfish..it seems a bunch of that event involves shellfish.
The tequila lunch was easily the best food I had last year. SO good. I’ve been debating with myself on booking it again. Enjoy!!

The tequila lunch was easily the best food I had last year. SO good. I’ve been debating with myself on booking it again. Enjoy!!
I'm jealous! We did that last year for the first time and it was amazing! Unfortunately, it doesn't fit this year. The French Family favorites was our favorite, but the Tequila and food pairing was a close second.
While I was a little disapointed in seeing the special chef meals cancelled in the resorts last year, the reality was they were too expensive and we were never going to attend (we'd go back to V&A before those).

Can you use Disney Gift Cards at Wine Bar George or Jaleo? I am thinking about trying them both this fall but we already have Homcomin' Brunch. Not sure how much Disney Springs time we can fit into the schedule with the uncertainty of SWGE, which is our priority.

I am not sure about this. Anyone know which restaurants in DS that take gift cards?

By the way, we really enjoyed Homecomin on our last trip.

The dish he did in 2017 was outstanding. Delicious and very creatively plated. He was very gracious, shaking hands with everyone and taking photos. I hope you enjoy!

My understanding is that Robert is also very good at shutting Pam down so she doesn't take over and think "it's all about me" as she guzzles her wine : )

I have an AP that expires in November so I am doing one short weekend at F &W. Actually not planning to do any booths after last year (and this from a person that used to spend the better part of a week at the booths for lunch at least), will do PFTS Saturday, hopefully AK Sunday and that's that. If I didn't have the AP and DVC points I wouldn't be going at all. And I used to spend a week. Just don't find it worth it. The booths have the same stuff year after year after year, the creativity seems to be gone and the special events are also just not that unique. The food and beverage seminars are now almost $20 and for that you get Publix, Disney chefs or mediocre wine presenters?? Uh No!

My understanding is that Robert is also very good at shutting Pam down so she doesn't take over and think "it's all about me" as she guzzles her wine : )

We’ve attended at least 3 events with Robert Irvine and one of the most amusing parts is when he shuts her down AND then watching her try to regain control of him. It’s highly entertaining.

This is good to hear! I've been tempted by it for a few years now but some of the reviews I've read on blogs (one person was like "I guess I just don't like tequila so I didn't like any of it"....then why go lol?) made me worry it was just an okay experience. I'm excited to try it because folks on here seem to really like it!

Can you use Disney Gift Cards at Wine Bar George or Jaleo? I am thinking about trying them both this fall but we already have Homcomin' Brunch. Not sure how much Disney Springs time we can fit into the schedule with the uncertainty of SWGE, which is our prior

Wine Bar George's and Jaleo's website says they accept some Disney dining plans so I would guess "yes". (this is just a guess!)

Sent a message on Jaleo's website asking if Disney gift cards were accepted. I'll let you what information they provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter