2018 Princess Half Marathon

Sorry I'm pulling old quotes here! I didn't come on the boards the whole time I was gone, so I'm catching up.

Pictures lines are always bad for the runDisney 5K. Sorry you had a rough experience.

I think part of the issue with corralling for the 5K is there is not PoT or timing. It's a family friendly race and people will lie about their anticipated finish times or pace to get in a better corral for pictures or whatever.

Exactly. It's a family fun run and it is untimed. Unless you're going to start at the front of corral A, this is just going to be the experience. If you manage your expectations, you can have a lot of fun!

Also, Merida was on the overpass just after the start. I was super disappointed the signature princess for the race wasn't available pre or post race for photos, and also wasn't really a photo opp on the course! I went and stood in line in the hot sun that afternoon for 30 minutes to get a pic. Bonus though, she signed my medal and we had a nice little chat.

I think maybe they do this so that the lines won't be totally out of control. I remember when they had the Frozen weekend, they put Elsa up on the overpass as well.

Seeing a rumor on Facebook that Princess Half Marathon will not take place in 2019 due to road construction.

Again, it seems to be a rumor at this time. Anyone have any solid info?

100% rumor, not based on any fact at all. Unless they start pushing things back and back, like they did with Tink and Light Side, I'll believe it when I see it from runDisney. I wish this had never gotten started, and people hadn't freaked out and spread it like wildfire.

Anyway, thought I'd post in case someone was debating doing the race in future. A lot of the previous posts about the expo and race left me with the impression that things would be out of control like some spring break expose. Honestly, it's still a Disney run event, and if there was bad behavior it was an exception, not a rule. During the two races I met a wide variety of dedicated runners who happened to be crazy about Disney and were out there to have a good time.

Agreed. Unless someone really impacts your experience (ie. shoving, cutting you off or stopping in front of you, so that you can get hurt), you just can't worry about what other people are doing. I'm not going to let a few rude people ruin my race experience. So many of these stories get passed around and it really scares people away from doing Princess weekend.

I ran the 5k and 10k. I was considering signing up for next year’s half specifically because I saw older, larger ladies wearing half marathon medals. We felt so good after the 10k that we thought we might be ready to try a longer race.

Now I’m questioning that decision. It never occurred to me that there may have been cheating.

Just because someone is "larger" doesn't mean they cheated.

I think you will find very few people at Disney/on this board with perfect runner physiques. :)

Unfortunately, yes - people do cheat at these races. But many more people achieve what they never thought possible honestly (without course cutting or corral jumping) and through hard work.

If you pick a training plan that works with your life/schedule/body and stick to it, I have no doubt that you can do it!!

Truth! If you prepare, it's absolutely doable. Just please, please train. I know life happens, but you just have to really commit to it, or you'll really regret it. I pushed during Christmas vacation to keep up with my training schedule. It was hard, but I came out of this weekend pain-free.

I agree there is often a lack of race etiquette in many Disney races, but I'm pretty sure those women you spoke of didn't keep you from winning your age group. Slow you down for a second or two & frustrate you, sure, but not prevent you from making the podium.

Ahaha sorry, people were saying morbidly obese in the other posts. I thought better endowed was cute, I apologize if anyone found that offensive it was never meant to be!

I mean. You could be opposite and wish you were more endowed

Pointing out people's size is irrelevant and unnecessary. It is not "cute." There are people of all shapes and sizes that can probably run circles around me, and I'm bigger than others who are slower than I am, I'm sure. Is shoving cool? No, but I was shoved by many people that morning, and most of them were small, which is also irrelevant.

Okay, I'm hereby adding to my Cons list for this race "If you frequent the letsrun forums and are crazy obsessed with finish times, this may not be the race you're searching for".

Look, I watched an awful lot of the runners and walkers around me of all shapes and sizes completing the race under their own steam without cheating. That is a heck of a lot more admirable, in my opinion, than the people who shaved 2 minutes off their 2 hour half marathon PR, or whatever time goal they were aiming for. It's unkind, uncharitable and inaccurate to think that just because they're larger they didn't reach where they were under their own steam.

To address Kimberly's original point, I too found it annoying that people were shoving to the front, but that was mostly because I don't like being crowded and didn't think it was fair that they were shoving in while others had been waiting in the corrals for longer. In the end though, the only thing that impacted my time was me.

Right. I would say the only thing that affected my time beyond my immediate control was that I was further back, due to the fact that I didn't turn in a POT. There were a lot of people who were slower than me back there, but they were where they were supposed to be, so that's on me too.

In cone alley (and all course narrowing after) NO ONE was following any etiquette whatsoever and a Mary Poppins started making fun of those who wanted to run. Loudly. And she and her group refused to budge. By the time I was there the traffic was solid on the other side, and my ankle isn’t strong enough to risk holes in the grass.[\quote]

That is ridiculous, and would have made me really angry. I tried really hard to respect the fact that there were people who wanted to 100% walk, people who wanted to 100% run, and everything in between. I did my best to stay out of other peoples way, and be careful when passing. Everyone is doing their own thing in that race, and we all kind of need to work together. Luckily, I didn't encounter much rudeness on the course.

I met the male half of the creators of the Hogwarts running club on the course. That was awesome.

I didn't meet them, but I did see their signs. It was great!

Some of those mile markers seemed really off. If I was having a much longer mile but getting back on track with my mileage compared to the markers, they didn’t have them in the right places. :)

My watch didn't match either, but I assumed it was all the weaving I had to do.

They had sports beans still by the time I got there. But it was maybe a third of a serving. I don’t feel that that’s adequate especially compared to a proper gu from previous years.[\quote]

I only eat a few at a time. It wasn't enough for me for the whole race, but it was a decent amount for me. I ate about a bag and and a half, plus what they gave us, and I usually would eat 2 bags for that length of race.

All good questions that I don't think anyone can answer with any surety. I think it's a combination of things: rD packing way too many people on a race course, a larger than avg number of new runners, more people running who are unsure of their ability and/or haven't trained as well as they'd like, more people more interested in having fun vs. running a race. And also sparkly things. ;) Other than the first one (rD making races too full), I don't think any one of those items is a problem on its own, but combine it all together, and you get the Princess Effect, maybe.

Probably all correct. I think it's too many factors to point to just one thing. I still do it and and I still love it.

I was in Corral F, aka the giant corral, and a million people stepped over me to try to get to the front before the race had even started. We were easily in the front quarter of the corral and most of them got stuck a few people in front of me anyway lol. It was annoying getting kicked so many times that early in the morning, especially since MOST OF THEM didn't even say excuse me. Like, we're in corral f, our position doesn't matter, and you could at least be polite!

Yeah, that wasn't fun. A bunch of us tried to kind of stick together to keep people from going around, but I didn't really want to get in a shoving match when people were pushing the issue. I didn't mind letting one person through, but at one point, a whole line of people pushed through.

I don’t like the dead last start junk, though I’m on the FB page that they admin. It feels misogynistic (last year at least they called it “kills” as they went by each person, and at a female-centric race where the men KNOW they’ll be faster than most women, that feels ugly) and awful, and also like a huge pain.

Totally agree. I didn't really like that either, since a lot of those "kills" were giving it their all.

Oh and how about that ramp thing to the F corral? In the dark? With no one letting you know it’s there?

That was fun. :)

No kidding. They did have people there warning us when I went across it, but there's no way no one fell.

My watch didn't match either, but I assumed it was all the weaving I had to do.

That’s normally what I would have attributed it to, but at some miles they showed up far too relatively early, even when I’d gone off course to use a portapotty.

Freakishly my garmin only got 13.44 miles, which is weird given all my bathroom breaks.

I have the hot chocolate 15k tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it. Especially since Dh had me cancel the hotel I’d booked for tonight! Harrumph.

That’s normally what I would have attributed it to, but at some miles they showed up far too relatively early, even when I’d gone off course to use a portapotty.

Freakishly my garmin only got 13.44 miles, which is weird given all my bathroom breaks.

I have the hot chocolate 15k tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it. Especially since Dh had me cancel the hotel I’d booked for tonight! Harrumph.

Mine says 13.5. I did a lot of weaving.

I have gotten a higher milage on this race through the years. I looked back through the years and 13.2 is the shortest I have gotten and I have run without bathroom stops and photo ops on a couple of these runs. I tried to analyze, best I could, and the extra .1 comes in the final mile. I use TomTom GPS so I don't know if it uses the same satellite as Garmin...perhaps it does, who know that kind of stuff.

I use a Garmin and it said I ran 13.3. I didn’t do much weaving this year. Last year I ran 13.32 and I was weaving and in the grass a lot to get around other runners.

I flew home on Friday night, so this is the first chance I've gotten to sit down and write up a recap of race weekend. Here are my thoughts:

- Mini waves: HATE them. I don't know, but for some reason they just make the race feel less magical. After doing the 5K and 10K, I was so groggy the morning of the half, so I wound up arriving about 15 minutes late to the bus stop (more on buses later). That meager 15 minutes put me to the pre-race area late, which meant that they had closed my corral and the one behind mine by the time I made the walk over to the corrals. I had to fall back from D to the dreaded F corral. Lots of pushing and shoving in that corral. Mini waves were a nightmare. I wound up doing a lot of weaving to get around runners who were a much slower pace than I was. I didn't hit my stride until around mile 4, which is much later than I'm used to. Mostly this was my fault, though, for not arriving to the bus on time.

- Buses: Dear runDisney, please hire better MEARS drivers that actually are familiar with driving the routes around WDW. This was my third race experience with drivers who have gotten lost on the way from the resorts to the race. This causes so much undue anxiety on race morning. We shouldn't have to be the ones to tell the drivers how to do their pick-ups and drop-offs.

- Snack boxes: While I love the faux nachos, I feel the snack boxes have really gone downhill. I hate those Go-Go Squeeze things - they remind me of toddler food. The dried mangos went over well with my niece and nephews, though, so there's that.

- Disney Springs post-race party - What a flop that was. We were made to wait 45 minutes after our reservation time at Raglan Road. Then when we were seated, we were told that there was a system-wide outage for using Magic Bands (not just for the dining plan, but also for room charges). None of us had brought cash or cards, so we were resolved to just having water and then returning to the resort to sort things out there. By the time we finished our waters, the system was back up. We placed our food orders. Food took almost an hour to get there, and my friend's ribs were stone cold so he sent them back. By then he was too hangry to enjoy himself.

- Medals and race shirts: GORGEOUS. Zero complaints. Good job, runDisney.

- PhotoPass: On point! Some of the best race photos I've ever gotten. I am thoroughly satisfied with my race photos this year.

- Water stops: I'm not sure if they added additional water stops due to the humidity, but I sure was glad for all the water stops. Having started much later than I'm used to, it was really sunny and warm for much of my race, so I made sure to hydrate early and hydrate often. Even though I added more time to my run, I made sure to make good use of the water stops.

I just looked at my Garmin data again. Check this out in mile 9. I know I didn’t run over there LOL! My map from the entire half has stuff like this.
View attachment 306461

My mile 9 did the same thing! I wonder if it has to do with towers or satellites or whatever they use for a GPS. There's a few other spots like that for me, too. One of them is because my phone crapped out on me and I had to reset it somewhere in cone alley.

I have the Endomondo app on my iPhone and and I have used it at home and it has me running Over tops of houses and through stuff. But I didn’t use that app for the half. I used my old nike sports watch. Same one I have used for years. Funny stuff.

And about that chips and nacho combo in the food box...I would never eat that but I love it after the run.

I got 13.33 for the half and 6.34 for the 10K. I don't really care as I expect that, but I do hate that it makes my overall pace look slower.

Hi all princesses!!My friends and I had an amazing trip. My bff and I completed our first challenge and her sister completed her first half marathon! I am super tempted to go for it next year as well. I would like to do a Star Wars race, but don't care for the Dark Side theming so will have to wait for Light Side to come back.

Somewhat related question... did any of you get some very magical exclusive deals on rooms for this year? I used that agency in 2017, but rented points for this year. Just wondering if their dates included Princess for this year.

Somewhat related question... did any of you get some very magical exclusive deals on rooms for this year? I used that agency in 2017, but rented points for this year. Just wondering if their dates included Princess for this year.

Yes. I used them for 2017 and 2018.

Hi all princesses!!

No, I didn't get any deals, but I did get an upgrade from a one bedroom to a two bedroom at AKL. I think that was due to being after 4pm and still no room assignment and I wasn't happy. I was doing my best to stay kind, but I really wanted to get into a room and prepared for Sunday.

Buses: Dear runDisney, please hire better MEARS drivers that actually are familiar with driving the routes around WDW. This was my third race experience with drivers who have gotten lost on the way from the resorts to the race. This causes so much undue anxiety on race morning. We shouldn't have to be the ones to tell the drivers how to do their pick-ups and drop-offs.

Agreed.

I forgot a bus thing. We were at gfv, and when going to the expo the driver got us them went to SOG. They made us show IDs. This could have been a problem if there had been any non runner adults on the bus who were relying on magicband for the day. He didn’t tell us before turning in, either.

The day of the 10k we spaced out and neither my cousin nor I took IDs (thank goodness we weren’t carded for post run beer), and on the bus back the driver indicated we would be going to sog first. We were in the front and tried to explain to him the ID issue and he was not comprehending.
Finally he decided to go to gf first and as we got off he finally got it, though I’m not sure how. That he couldn’t have gotten in to sog since we didn’t have our ids with us.

I get that it’s a military place. But you can’t pull into such a place with that requirement without KNOWING that everyone can comply.

And about that chips and nacho combo in the food box...I would never eat that but I love it after the run.

Agreed. Salt, fat, carbs... I would prefer the hummus they had at TOT in 2013, but oh well.

Interesting we stopped at shades of green before we got off at vgf after the half but didn’t have to show ids there.

Interesting we stopped at shades of green before we got off at vgf after the half but didn’t have to show ids there.

They must have realized the issue. :)

Still dying that there were buses back to GF when we were told so clearly that there weren’t.

It could depend on what security threat is currently being accessed.

Not sure if there would have been much difference from one day to the next?

It truly made no sense. You can’t have that requirement and not tell people before getting on the bus.

To check IDs as people get OFF the bus at SOG would have made more sense. That would keep non guests from getting into their property other than by being in a vehicle.

quick question....were they selling Bibs for the 2019 Marathon Weekend races at the Princess???? Like before registration is even started?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter