2014/2015 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun, Sept 2014-Mayl 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to drop 10 pounds. Anyone want a fitbit buddy, PM me for my email address?

My 16 yr old DD got a fit bit recently, and I can hardly wait to see what we average walking at the parks every day! Of course, we'll still have to go running to keep from gaining weight from all the food we eat while we're there (and alcoholic beverages for me and DH:)). I hope all of you guys achieve your goals on time:) I looked up exercises to tone-up (get bathing suit ready) in 30 days a while ago, and the rest is a blur -lol. The end of school stuff got the better of me and now I'm out of time:( ... But I'll be at Disney so who cares??

This is totally random, will probably be long (to explain it), and really has nothing to do with the YC or BC, so feel free to skip it!:offtopic: I'm only posting this here because I need some advice on what to do and the folks here are by far the most friendly and helpful people on the DIS. DH and I took a 5 day trip and stayed at YC earlier this month and had a fabulous vacation! However, our last family trip (the one we just took was just DH and myself, we left the kids at home), was a horribly awful experience that we never want to repeat. I won't go into specific details, although I have already to some extent in this thread, but we showed up at our resort and they did not have a reservation for us. Things went downhill from there, and nothing on our MagicBands worked for the first half of our trip. We had no tickets, no room access, no meal credits for our meal plan, no ADRs, and no FP+...all had been wiped out even though everything was meticulously planned in advance. To make matters worse, no one could fix it, and every time we tried to enter our room/get into a park/use a meal/anything else at all on property, it would not work and we would have to go to guest services. We spent over 30 hours in lines at guest services, missed the first 3 days of our trip, and were not reimbursed for it, but eventually (after canceling and rebooking our whole reservation...twice!), they were able to make things work and the second half of our trip went well. A lot of things were replaced (most of our FP+) but other things (all of our ADRs) couldn't be recovered and we had to book new ones. It was much worse than that, but that's the Cliff's notes version, and we agreed never to take another family trip to WDW. Oh, and by the way, we had DRIVEN there from Minnesota (30 hour drive) with our kids who were 7, 4, 2, and 4 months at the time. Try keeping 4 little kids busy while spending 30 hours in line at guest services...now try it with no hotel room, no food, no parks, no rides, no pool, and NO DIAPERS!

Okay, so DH and I decided to "take the plunge" and go again this year because it was just the 2 of us, it couldn't be that bad again, and if things went wrong, it was just us and we could deal with that. Nothing went wrong and we had a great time! So, my cocky self decided that maybe we could book another family trip and take the kids again. Maybe the MagicBand kinks were worked out, maybe things would turn out fine, maybe, maybe, maybe....and we were really looking forward to it. We booked a BB offer for December, and although we weren't able to do BC or YC, we booked at POR and figured December was a fine time to book a moderate since we may not be able to swim at SAB, etc. We were excited to book another trip while my oldest was 9 (still a child) and before my youngest was too old to sleep in a Pack n Play so we could still stay in a 5 person room one more time. I booked the BB, spent 45 minutes on the phone confirming the dates, everyone's date of birth, etc. and put down the deposit. I was also REALLY excited because we've never been to WDW at Christmas time and I've always wanted to go. However, since it was still this year (no BB for 2016 yet), we were on a strict budget. We decided we would only go if we could do something under budget, and I came in really close with $40 to spare. We have not booked airfare yet, but I've been watching like a hawk and ready to do it at any moment. So, today I got the confirmation packet in the mail, and now I'm convinced that we are Disney cursed when we try to go as a family!

I opened the packet and started reading. Everything looked great until I got to the dining plan page and noticed they were missing a kid on the total number of meal credits. I thought they must have made an error on the dining plan, so I called them. Well, nope, it was more than that. Although they have the correct date of birth in the system for our 3 year old (12/28/11), she was showing up as a 2 year old. Therefore, she has no park ticket and no meal plan. I explained the situation to 3 different CMs, including one at guest relations, and they are insisting that (now that I've said she's 3...because she is) we will have to pay $850 more than the price they gave us. I'm not trying to get something for nothing, but I correctly gave everyone's DOB and they confirmed them all. I gave them everything, they put it in the system, and their computer system screwed up calculating her age. They will not honor the price they gave us because they hadn't included the 3 year old, and I can't do the new price because our budget is really strict to make this work this time. We can't move the trip to next year because they have to BB offers for next year yet, and we can't move to a value because we have 6 people and would need 2 rooms, which would cost even more. They also won't let us take off the dining plan because it was "part of the quoted offer for the BB." I tried to explain that, since I booked over the phone and confirmed everything, I had no idea that they computed something wrong and this wasn't my fault. The CM said it isn't their fault because when they add another person it increases the price and they can't adjust that. They also say they won't honor the previous price because they can only honor what got sent in the mail (which has us as 2 adults, 2 children, and 2 infants) and now that they know DD isn't an infant they can't honor it anymore. I'm so frustrated! I'm pretty sure we are going to cancel (DH was in the background yelling that we would go to Universal instead), but I didn't do it on the spot because I wanted some input from someone else first.

I'm mad out of principle (it was their error), mad because of our prior history of problems, mad that we just can't seem to take a WDW trip as a family, and upset that we really just can't stretch the budget this time. Any suggestions? Should I cancel? Should I wait and see if any BB offers come up before our payment date and try to push it out? Should I fight this with Disney and try to get them to honor their quote and/or take credit for their error that I had no control over? Should we really just go to Universal? Universal is definitely in budget, and our oldest is a HUGE Harry Potter fan, but we have 2 really little ones. Would they have any fun? Should we just scrap all things Orlando and forget about ever having a family Disney trip again???? I'm open to all suggestions and would love to know what you would do.

You must be so frustrated and sad! I don't have much to add, other than escalate this issue. The CMs who answer the phone have no authority. I would keep expressing my extreme disappointment and imply that they will lose future business. Be polite, I'm sure you will be!, and calm and just keep expressing your disappointment and that YOU provided the correct information and the CM must have made an error. If you escalate, you should be able to get something. Good luck! I hope it works out because I am sure your family would love to take this trip. If it doesn't work out this time, I would wait for other discounts that suit your family to be released. I just got a message from a local TA that her agency has some pretty magical rates for January 6-12 if you are interested in that. It's $82.80 plus tax at POP. Good luck!!!!!

My 16 yr old DD got a fit bit recently, and I can hardly wait to see what we average walking at the parks every day! Of course, we'll still have to go running to keep from gaining weight from all the food we eat while we're there (and alcoholic beverages for me and DH:)). I hope all of you guys achieve your goals on time:) I looked up exercises to tone-up (get bathing suit ready) in 30 days a while ago, and the rest is a blur -lol. The end of school stuff got the better of me and now I'm out of time:( ... But I'll be at Disney so who cares??

I posted my FitBit steps for each day of our April trip in my Trip Report. I walk a lot at home, but it was interesting to see how much more we walked at Disney. My top day was 22,825 steps! Good luck!!!

I posted my FitBit steps for each day of our April trip in my Trip Report. I walk a lot at home, but it was interesting to see how much more we walked at Disney. My top day was 22,825 steps! Good luck!!!

Does it tell you how many miles that was? Someone recently posted (not sure what thread) that she walked 13 miles! I've only gone that far in a marathon or half-marathon. I don't think we walk that far at Disney, but now I'm really curious! I read somewhere that the average person walks six miles at Disney per day.

The FitBit app also estimates how many calories you have burned. There is a version that has a heart rate monitor but I don't know how accurate it is.

If it's me I'd be at the bus stop a little after 7. I'm like you and don't like frazzle. I'd much rather be in the park and relaxed early than sweating it at a bus stop.
This is our first time doing a pre park opening breakfast and I want to start the day relaxed and pray there are no bus issues like we've had in the past. This trip we're taking different approach and only have 3 sit downs planned for our 7 night stay. We usually would do a sit down each day, but we've grown tired of having our plans almost revolve around where we're eating that day. I'm very excited to be free of that and try something different. Cannot wait to just stroll into World Showcase and decide right then what we're in the mood for :)

I'm open to all suggestions and would love to know what you would do.
I will start off by saying I am a HUGE WDW nut, that said somewhere along the line through a few unmagical experiences my DH lost his love for WDW. Our solution was to try Universal, and not only was it cheaper but it was just what the doctor ordered. We were able to have more resort time and the Express Pass. Plus their deluxe hotels are around the price of a WDW moderate. I did get DH back to WDW last year and he's agreed to do WDW again this year. That said, as other recommended go up the chain of Disney Management. CMs on the phone can be hit or miss, but they do try to make it right. I am sorry that happened to you. If it is a budget concern, then definitely book Universal and hold onto WDW just in case it can work out for September. It's always good to have a back up plan in my opinion. Not to mention those Universal resorts are booking up like crazy lately.

This is our first time doing a pre park opening breakfast and I want to start the day relaxed and pray there are no bus issues like we've had in the past. This trip we're taking different approach and only have 3 sit downs planned for our 7 night stay. We usually would do a sit down each day, but we've grown tired of having our plans almost revolve around where we're eating that day. I'm very excited to be free of that and try something different. Cannot wait to just stroll into World Showcase and decide right then what we're in the mood for :)
We have been doing that lately, too. The last trip we took I had only two lunches and dinner reserved. We ate at dinner at ESPN Club and Crews Cup Lounge, added a last minute ADR at Yak & Yeti, and then decided to have dinner at Trails End one night. All of those dinners were unplanned and spontaneous. :) The only ADR we had was for Trattoria la Forna and it was nice to have one ADR in place. The sixth night we ate in Epcot. It was really easy that way.

We really like the CG when we just need a quiet sit down breakfast. I find restaurant 'likes' can be so subjective. We often go back to places where we've had not so good experiences to give them a second chance. We've had bad meals (usually service) at places we love. I hate recommending or condemning because you can always have an not so magical experience a great place. Same with buses. I've stopped recommending or condemning them. We've had great trips where the bus to the park we are heading to pulls up every time we walk out and trips where we see the bus to our park pulling off every time we walk out.
I have to say I am with you 100% on both thoughts. The CG as well as other dining places do have their "moments" where you wonder why you ever gave them a chance, but then you go back and all is right with the world. With buses we are usually in the category of waving bye to them as we approach the waiting area but there are those times when you walk up just as an empty bus is arriving and there is no one else around. It does happen.
Katesdad

Hey all!

Back a few days from my BC CL stay. We were in room 5656 and I took No pictures. My first reaction was that it seemed a little bit on the small side but it was plenty of room for the 2 of us. We had a lovely view of a tree. Looked over the front entrance, essentially, but rarely heard noise or anything. We were across (and down one) from the CL kitchen room thing (where they did their dishes and stuff, don't really know what to call it). Because were were at the beginning of the hallway there were lots of people passing by our rooms, too (and I don't mind if you let your kid run down the hallway during the middle of the day, but after midnight is just bad parenting). There was definite noise I could hear coming from the hallway, but nothing from our next door neighbors.

We were there the week leading up towards Memorial Day weekend and I do think things changed going from a relatively slow period to a super busy weekend. CL staff was much busier (obviously with more people) later in the week and I found the lounge foods go downhill through the week (they stopped putting out the sugar cookies with the mickey sprinkles)!! I also found the service to go downhill a bit, BUT I think it was due to other guests. I heard people be super demanding and almost rude (guests, not CMs), but CM's were nothing but nice to me, especially when I thanked them for cleaning up after me (shocked at the number of people who DIDN'T do this).

I agree that the refurbed rooms are looking worn already. Doors obviously and there were several stains on the carpet (which made me feel a little less guilty for adding some).

My son ended up getting sick so we had a whole day in the room and that was when it started to grow on me more. On benefit of CL was that I was able to leave my son (7) in the room for 5 mintues while I went down to the store to get hand sanitizer and look for medicine (sadly they have nothing for uncontrolled vomiting) with instructions to go to the concierge desk if he needed something (he didn't). They offered to call a doctor for me (which we didn't need, I think it was overtiredness and dehydration and luckily short lived) and kept us supplied with ginger ale! During our day in the room if I listened carefully I thought I could hear construction noise but only if I tried hard (and it certainly wasn't distracting).
Unfortunately we didn't get much time at SAB. We were there one day for about 15 minutes before it started thundering so they cleared the area. We didn't thoroughly explore it (because we weren't there that long) but I didn't love it for my child. There didn't seem to be a great place for an okay swimmer to be. For my piece of mind (and after he almost drowned me) I wanted him to have a life jacket in SAB, there wasn't really depth for swimming in the sandy part and there were games going on in the other part.

I never saw the flyer about what goes on every day (not that we would have done much probably) and movies and such. We did roast marshmallows on night, but only because we happened to walk by at the right time. Also, the Friday before memorial day they had a beach party with crafts and dancing and games and pontoon rides around the lake. They called and left a message about it, but when I asked at the concierge they had to look it up for me. Also, it started at 6:30, we were there at maybe 6:40 and they were already starting to run out of crafts.

One night we had an early evening and someone knocked on the door to give us Star Wars Chocolates in honor of star wars weekends!!

I would definitely stay there again, and I had a more positive experience than negative, BUT to me, the main benefit of staying at BC is location (rather than amenities).

I need some advice about BC and hope someone can help. We will be having our first visit to BC in November for the end of Food and Wine. There are 3 adults (2 sisters and their father) & 2 use ECV's. I know we want a ground floor so we don't have to deal with elevators. But are the "hidden entrances" wheelchair accessible or will we need to ask for a room closer to the lobby? I appreciate your help beforehand. I'm trying to read the whole thread, but there are a LOT of pages and I don't read as fast as I used to. There is so much good info that I am taking my time. Thanks again! Sarah

We have never been to the BC before and will have our first stay there in July. For all you experienced BC members I have a pool question. My sister and nieces will be staying at the Swan and Dolphin, can they come spend some time with us at the pool?

Thanks in advance all!!

We have never been to the BC before and will have our first stay there in July. For all you experienced BC members I have a pool question. My sister and nieces will be staying at the Swan and Dolphin, can they come spend some time with us at the pool? Thanks in advance all!!
at the quiet pool, yes. At the main pool (SAB), no.

That's a really good question. I would suggest posting it in the disABILITIES! forum, where you may have someone with firsthand knowledge and experience.
http://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

Is the guest room(s) reserved handicapped accessible?
They don't need accessible room- just have trouble with long distances (Pop is 83 with compression fractures in his spine). So basically I just need to know about the exits. We have been to Beaches and Cream, so I know there is a ramp from the lobby area. Was just wondering about other exits. Thanks for answering! Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!