• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2013-10-26 Disney Fantasy Cruise

Starting with the first cruise, it's become my tradition to pre-order something for the cabin. Sometimes it's as small as bottled water and sometimes it's room decorations or a cake.

On our first DCL cruise I ordered Sparkling wine and treats:

DisneyCruise1106_zps9e3f4fb7.jpg

It came with this plate of treats and a bottle of Martin & Rosi Asti Spamonte. It was a fabulous way to start the cruise. I wish they still offered this as I would order it again in a heartbeat! You can still order the sparking wine but it now comes with a box of prailine chocolates - not as nice as far as I'm concerned.

Oh My!!! I was all set to order these for our cabin until I saw it was no longer available. My lot would have loved that.

Hey Trisha, I don't know how I missed this before but I'm here now.

Looking forward to meeting your family on the cruise :)

You too! It seems like a really great group of people we're cruising with.

I think you LOVE Palo! We did the Steak House on Carnival last October and we thought it was fabulous as well. I would have to say that I still enjoyed Palo more though and they are VERY attentive when it comes to allergies. I have a nut sensitivity and they were very thorough.

Thanks. I'm excited about the Palo brunch - I think it's very much something we'll enjoy and it's great to hear about their attentiveness to allergies.

Oh My!!! I was all set to order these for our cabin until I saw it was no longer available. My lot would have loved that.

Removing this was the biggest crime that the pre-cruise gifts has every perpetrated!

Everything was so good (and that's coming from a baker's daughter and former baker). The strawberries were huge and perfectly juicy, there were two lemon squares with the perfect amount of tartness vs sweet, cheesecake squares that actually tasted like cheesecake (I find on board, most of the cheesecake tastes like they dipped the cream cheese into the batter and then took it back out so there's no cheese flavour), and fabulous butter tart, nut squares (my mom claimed them right away)

Thanks. I'm excited about the Palo brunch - I think it's very much something we'll enjoy and it's great to hear about their attentiveness to allergies.

I'm pretty much in the same situation as your mom. I have a citrus allergy! It is difficult!! Here is what they do. . . normally, when you get to brunch, your server will give you the tour of the food . . . what is out and what your options are to order (get the chicken parm!!). But, when there is an allergy, the chef comes out, with pen/paper and gives you the tour. . . He tells me what has citrus (in my case) in it or on it (even if it is a garnish- or once he said, "this was prepared next to a dish using lemon, I would prefer to make you a fresh order") - if it is an item that I would like, he makes me fresh whatever I want! :cool1:

You guys really should experience the dinner at Palo. . . especially with your dad loving steak/beef the way he does (techincally osso bucco is veal - but I bet he would enjoy it!! even though it always seems like I'm the only one that gets it!! I need more people to start trying it so they don't take it off of the menu!!). We chose to go on Pirate night. We have done that menu - plus, it is my birthday! But, if you choose to go to Palo one of the first 3 nights, on one of the other nights, you can see ask to see the menu from the other restaurant that you missed (or will miss) and your server will get you what you want.

Here are 3 entrees at Palo perfect for the 3 of you:

:thumbsup2 Osso Buco di Vitello
Slow-roasted center cut veal shank with gremolata and risotto Milanese

:thumbsup2 Oregano and Parmesan crusted rack of lamb
with sangiovese roasted shallots, olive oil baked roma tomatoes, potato torta and herb jus

:thumbsup2 Our Beef Tenderloin "Palo"
topped with melted gorgonzola cheese or Palo signature Barolo red wine sauce

PS . . . I forgot about the desserts!! Everyone will tell you to get the "chocolate souffle", but I actually love the "Panna Cotta". . . but there is also a special dessert just for your dad (and if you tell them you are celebrating his birthday, he could probably get 2!)

:yay: Palo's Homemade Tiramisu :yay:
Layered Coffee-infused Ladyfinger with Mascarpone Cheese

:yay: Panna Cotta with Strawberry Basil Sorbet
custard with macerated berries

:yay: Chocolate Souffle
with Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Sauce

Thanks Janice for the Palo info.

I'm sure my mom would love the lamb (and they have gnoochi on the menu which she's also a fan of) and my dad would probably go for the tenderloin (maybe without the cheese though). And the Tirimisu would be perfect for my Dad :thumbsup2

We'll probably end up doing Palo for dinner this time....::yes::

One of the fun things about dining there is your server will talk to you and get an idea of what you like and don't like - and then they will make recommendations for you - and usually offer to bring a few extra dishes for the table for all to taste :goodvibes

We will see you at brunch! We too are the 31st at 10:30. There are 7 of us in our group, so look for the big group. We are my DH, myself, my parents, my brother and 2 neighbors. I would tell you you to look for LOUD but we are dropping the kids to the club so volume should be normal. Can't wait!

We will see you at brunch! We too are the 31st at 10:30. There are 7 of us in our group, so look for the big group. We are my DH, myself, my parents, my brother and 2 neighbors. I would tell you you to look for LOUD but we are dropping the kids to the club so volume should be normal. Can't wait!

Since we will have a 30 minute advantage, I might be too engrossed in my food to notice anybody!! I'll be in the zone!! ::yes::

So I told you before that I was going to order a cake against my dad's wishes. The funny thing is I know he just doesn't want me to spend the money, it's not that he doesn't want cake.

Cake is important to our family. My parents owned a bakery for 22 years and even after selling it, my dad continued in the industry as both a baker (for several large industrial bakeries and as a donut maker for Tim Hortons) and for the past 6 years or so has been working at a bakery wholesale company as one of their top salesmen.

Growing up, it wasn't "what do you want for your birthday?" it was "what kind of cake do you want for your birthday?" You see, while it was always my dad's dream to own a bakery (and he makes amazing bread and pies), my mother is the talented artist in the family and could create just about anything out of cake.

My brother was into star wars - you know what he got? A Darth Vadar and R2D2 cake one year - hand done by my mother.

I was into strawberry shortcake - I got a cake with a handdrawn strawberry shortcake and her little pet on top of a cake (and it looked just like the cartoon!)

My mother was so talented at this that when Charles and Dianna were getting married, one of the British pubs in Toronto was holding a wedding party (in their absence of course) commissioned my mother to DRAW CHARLES AND DIANNA'S FACES ON A CAKE and she did an amazing job (was in the newspaper and everything for it).

Now today, big deal because they have all kinds of edible paper where you can use your printer and print an actual picture on a cake but she did it old school - with small, fine tipped icing bags and hours of hard work and hand drawn sketches and stencils she had to create herself.

Anyways - growing up cake was a big part of our lives and it continued forward. I owned a bakery for about a year and half before settling for a nice comfy government job (the bakery was so much work and at the end of the day, I was working to pay the landlord, and the hydro, water and gas companies and my suppliers so not too much leftover for me).

I became pretty good at doing cakes myself (taught at the sleeve of the master of course :p). And I've done a few wedding cakes in my time along with birthday cakes, anniversary cakes, retirement cakes, christening cakes and just someone-wants-a-cake cake.

Now, I'm done baking cakes. Maybe for a really, really special occasion I'll whip out the mixer but generally I'd rather buy a decent cake (and with my dad's customers we've found out quickly who makes an awesome cake and who doesn't).

Anyhoo -

On our first cruise my dad was so happy to see "cake of the day" on the room service menu and let's say, it didn't disappoint:

Disney Magic "Cake of the day" October 2010

DisneyCruise1256.jpg

Fast forward to our Disney Dream cruise - B2B cruises Oct 2011:

disneycruiseplusotherstuff761.jpg

Can you see the difference (well, I mean, besides the size of the pictures)?

The first cruise, the cake of the day was, well cake - cake with icing and/or whipped cream (nutrifill - stabilized non dairy whip but still).

On the Dream the "cake" was more mousse, gel topped non-cake type bakery goods (with no baking required and comes from a mix).

:sad2: it's not cake. Sorry but it's not.

On our April 2012 Disney Magic cruise, my dad was so desparate for cake by the last night that he practically begged the server to find him a piece of actual cake.

What he came up with wasn't bad, but it was actually a brownie (denser than cake and no buttercream icing).

So, despite my dad's protests, I faxed in (well, I got my brother to do it through his company because he only pays pennies for a fax) a cake order form for an 8 inch marble cake with dark chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream icing to be delivered on night 2 in the dining room and it should say, "Happy 65th birthday Bill".

If anyone has late dining and ends up as the same rotation as us - feel free to come by on Formal night for a slice of cake :cheer2:

I'll keep an eye out for you guys (maybe we'll be waiting for our tables in the same place).

I am glad that I was able to book the brunch earlier in the day rather than later - this way, it's not too far after everyone is up and about for the day (have to have the early morning coffee fix) but early enough that we will be ready for late dining (and maybe an ice cream in between :p).

Packing has begun!

Well, kind of.....

I've started putting together stuff that's going. Our toiletry bag is packed and our medical kit is packed. I just bought some gravol ginger tablets for my mom - regular gravol puts her to sleep and she can't take non-drowsy dramamine for other reasons so I was looking for something to help her in case of motion sickness (if the seas get really bumpy I know she'll take the gravol and sleep it off but if its just a little shaky, it's nice to have the natural ginger tablets).

I've also packed some sharpie markers and 2 Duffy bear outfits to have signed. This is the first time we've ever planned to drop anything off at guest services for signatures. I had originally thought to have my new lands end bag signed but when I tested a sharpie on it, the mark went kind of fuzzy - I can only imagine the difficulty of actually signing the bag for the characters so I decided to nix that one. When I put the idea to my mother, she asked for 1 Duffy bear outfit (they hang on a cord in the corner of our living room around a display of her various collector bears and dolls). She picked the Animal Kingdom Safari outfit since it's one of the lightest in colours (light green shirt, khaki pants) so the signatures would show up well.

We were looking for a second thing (I was thinking a photo mat) but my mother asked if she could have the Disneyland Bear shirt signed. When my Dad and I went to Disneyland for his 60th birthday (late in the year my mother had the stroke so she was unable to travel) we brought her home a Build a bear we'd made for her (she's mostly white with some pink tuffs) and a Disneyland outfit (shirt and mouse ears). The shirt is white with pink trim so again, the signatures should show up well.

I included 2 boxes of Star Wars fruit snacks (there are 5 snack packs in each box) - they are really tasty (I love them in my lunch or an afternoon treat at work), travel well and hopefully there's a CM or two who's a fan :chewy: :darth: :yoda:

My dad's pirate costume came pretty much complete (he needs his own pants and I think he added an earring) and I've got my mothers costume together - white lace trimmed blouse, black tiered skirt, long pink bandana covered with flowers and skulls and a chunky gold necklace. I of course am going to be a fuddy-duddy and no costume for me :duck:. I have a pirate-y type shirt that I may or may not pack but that's as far as I'm going to go.

My list of stuff to buy for this cruise is short but necessary. I have settled on the kind of candy for the Meet and Greet. I'm going to pick up 2 "kinds" (which is actually 7-8 different varieties). I'm going to pick up some Maynards treats - these are mini packs of swedish berries, fuzzy peaches, fruit mania and sour patch kids (these rock - they are always so soft and so fresh from Maynards). These are nut-free, and dairy free. The other pack I'm going to pick up is mini halloween chocolate bar packs of Mr Big, Wunderbar, Caramilk and Crispy Crunch. They are made by Cadbury Canada. Although originally a British company, these treats are pure Canada! They are neither nut free nor dairy free though.

I just started packing too.:thumbsup2 I have a ton of shopping to do that I hope to get to some of it tonight. So I'm glad to hear what your bringing for the sweet meet. We are bringing the mixed box of Coffee Crisp, Aeros, Smarties and Kit Kats...all nut free and very Canadian except the Kit Kat which is still a little different from the US ones. I always get a kick out of the Americans reaction to our Smarties since their Smarties are like our rockets.... yik:crazy2:

Oh and I always take the Gravol ginger chews too... I discovered them on our first cruise and that was all that I needed. :thumbsup2

My list of stuff to buy for this cruise is short but necessary. I have settled on the kind of candy for the Meet and Greet. I'm going to pick up 2 "kinds" (which is actually 7-8 different varieties). I'm going to pick up some Maynards treats - these are mini packs of swedish berries, fuzzy peaches, fruit mania and sour patch kids (these rock - they are always so soft and so fresh from Maynards). These are nut-free, and dairy free. The other pack I'm going to pick up is mini halloween chocolate bar packs of Mr Big, Wunderbar, Caramilk and Crispy Crunch. They are made by Cadbury Canada. Although originally a British company, these treats are pure Canada! They are neither nut free nor dairy free though.

Not to highjack your thread, but I would like your opinion on this (and anyone else on our cruise. . .). I think you know that I check the Disboards multiple times a day, but I could go a day or two without going on Facebook.

:coffee:
I wanted to get something "special" to take to the "M&G/CE". Last weekend, Linda decided to go to Seaside Heights (that is the Jersey Shore town that had the famous picture of the roller coaster in the ocean after Sandy). I wasn't feeling up to going, so I asked her if she would pick me up 2 pounds of salt water taffy.

Yesterday, I was out of work because I was furloughed. I got on facebook and saw there was some chatter awhile back about the candy people were bringing and there was some talk about salt water taffy.

So, to get to my question, do you think it would be rude of me to bring salt water taffy, since someone else said they would pick it up?

Not to highjack your thread, but I would like your opinion on this (and anyone else on our cruise. . .). I think you know that I check the Disboards multiple times a day, but I could go a day or two without going on Facebook.

I wanted to get something "special" to take to the "M&G/CE". Last weekend, Linda decided to go to Seaside Heights (that is the Jersey Shore town that had the famous picture of the roller coaster in the ocean after Sandy). I wasn't feeling up to going, so I asked her if she would pick me up 2 pounds of salt water taffy.

Yesterday, I was out of work because I was furloughed. I got on facebook and saw there was some chatter awhile back about the candy people were bringing and there was some talk about salt water taffy.

So, to get to my question, do you think it would be rude of me to bring salt water taffy, since someone else said they would pick it up?

My DH could eat salt water taffy until it's coming out of his ears so he, for one, would say "Go ahead and bring it" :thumbsup2 Personally, I don't think it's rude at all. Coming from the UK, I would imagine we will be bringing much the same as the other UK cruisers (i.e. Cadburys chocolate). I don't see it as a problem - there will be plenty to go round and I doubt there will be much (if any) left over ;)

I don't think it's rude AT ALL. We're not co-ordinating candy (there's no master list to make sure there's no repeats) and this way everyone can have a couple of pieces. Plus, salt water taffy varies in flavours and softness.

(BTW, both my mom and I love salt water taffy so there can never be too much of that stuff when we're around).

I'm also thinking of picking up some little treat bags or ziplocs so that everyone who brings candy to the M&G can fill up a baggie of the various kinds they want to try versus trying to pick up and hold the stuff in your hands. Also, with just having lunch not too long before (and early dinner right around the corner for some), I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to pick up a variety of candy, try one or two pieces there and then save some for trying later.

I have got to stop looking at the Marriott website. :rolleyes2

I have mapquested out the route down and the route back, printed off my hotel confirmations, mapped out the locations of the nearest Dunkin Donuts for morning coffees and created my travel booklet.

I saw that I could save $8 by switching hotels this morning and I almost did it. :sad2:

It is not worth $8 to have to re-work all of the maps and whatnot.

I am on the edge of overplanning and I need to step back from the ledge.

It's funny but I know that I distract myself with hotels, maps, planning etc because I am putting off packing. I have all of our FE stuff, pirate stuff, formal clothes, swimsuits, summer stuff ready to go, I just need to actually put it INTO the suitcases.

I really don't like packing.
Of course, I really, really don't like unpacking either.

I wonder if it would be a problem to just toss everything into green garbage bags and take it onboard that way? :scratchin

Only 6.5 days of work left (including today)! :cheer2:

:surfweb:
Do all three of you drive? Do you switch off?

:sad:
I have a 9 minute ride to work and cry about that . . . there is no way I could make it that far!

. . . but I do pass 3 Dunkin Donuts on that journey . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter