2011 Super Goofs

Hey Goofs. I've been MIA for most of this year, but I did run the WDW Half this morning! Weather was MUCH better than last year. We are having a great week. DH and my boys ran the 5K Friday, I ran today and DH & BIL are running the full tomorrow.

I'm in for the 100 day Challenge! The first 7 days were easy! I was at WDW so getting in those 30minutes walking around the world was nothing ;) Ran Buzz and Woody's BF 5K on the 7th with the family. That was fun! My first 5K so set my PR :rotfl2: Now that I'm home getting motivated to move 30" a day for those 100 days is a lot harder:rolleyes:, I'm training for my first Half in May. Good Luck to all the Super Goofs in 2011!

M Glad you stopped by. Hope your half went well.

BettinaYeah for first-race PR's. Aren't they great? And as for the 100 day challenge. I think I used "vacuuming" the other day. Hey, the house is cleaner now and I wasn't planning on doing it, so it counts in my book!

Did my 15 miles yesterday. Mostly good. Used my Camelbak for the first time, which worked fairly well.

Maura

Congratulations to all those who ran this weekend! As I was out doing my runs this weekend all I could think about was that soon I will be running through Disney and I was super jealous of all those who were already there! Visions of the Castle kept me motivated as I ran!

I downloaded a new app on my smartphone called My Tracks. As I run it maps my path, tracks my current speed (in MPH), top speed and average speed, as well as total time and moving time (sometimes they are different if I have to wait at a light or for a train), and the elevation. I have always just guestimated my times for my runs by looking at the clock before I left and then when I got back...not too accurate! I have been pleasantly surprised that i have been averaging about 5 mph or abour a 12 minute mile...well below the 16 minute mile for the Princess 1/2!

Question for all you other cold weather runners out there...I got Yack Tracks for Christmas. Have any of you ever used these before? I haven't really needed them yet...I might have been able to use them Sunday, but managed to stay off the snow and run on the road unless a car was passing me. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on these!

My goals for this year:
be a better poster!

I did the Goofy this year! I took my 14 year old niece for the 1/2 marathon. She has struggled with her weight since kindergarten. Thru diet and exercise changes she has lost 80lbs since the summer. As a reward and encouragement I offered to pay her race fee and accompany her on her race.
We finished in 3:11 and I could not be more proud of her. This was something that would have been impossible a year ago for her. I don't think she has stopped smiling yet- she even wore her race shirt and medal to school on her first day back! Unfortunately she had a track meet upon her return!

She is going to to it again next year and even thinking about the full
You go, Girl!

Ashleigh I haven't used Yak Traks before, but I think one or two WISHers may have. You could ask.

Joanne Congrats to you and your niece. What accomplishments!

Maura

Joanne...that's awesome that you completed Goofy! Any advice for those of us wanting to do Goofy next year? Congrats to your niece too for completing the half. I have a friend that wants to do the half next year...she's about 80-100 lbs overweight as well...what kind of plan would you recommend for her...she currently does not run, and it will take a while for her to build up...I was thinking C25K?

M...congrats on your race too!

So I got back from Disney late last night. The ice on the east coast delayed DW and I a day. I guess there are worse things than being forced to stay another day at WDW.

My wife wore her pedometer and we were averaging about 10 miles a day on top of the half marathon. Unfortunately that was not enough to cancel my less than ideal eating while we were there and I wound up gaining weight over the trip. I need to skip the Disney Dining plan next trip or at least exercise a little will power and pass up the deserts.

I'm back home now and eating clean again. Swam laps for about 40 minutes today. How is everyone else's progress in the hundred day challenge? Anyone else get tripped up by the chocolate mousse in France or the beignets at Port Orleans?

Happy January all! It sounds like everyone has been busy training for or already completing races, and we're only 12 days into the year!

I'm getting back in gear with my training for the Princess half...finally. December was quite the blur between an unexpected cyst removal that knocked me out of running commission for a few weeks, DH's job getting a little hairy lately, and just dealing with the holidays in general. I have to say that I wasn't sorry in the least to see them pass by!

Unfortunately, I've been doing most of my training indoors lately. It's not so much the cold that bothers me (although I really don't like it), but I'm so paranoid about slipping on an icy patch. Luckily I DVR Jeopardy so I have something to distract me for my treadmill sessions! I also got a new iPod for Christmas (the old one died over the summer) and I just got a hydration belt today for my birthday. I'm sure I'll look pretty silly testing it out tomorrow while on the treadmill, but I just don't want to wait until I get a chance to run outdoors again!

I'm seriously considering doing the Chicago marathon this fall. I think I can manage it, but does it sound too ambitious for someone who will have only completed two 1/2 marathons by then? This year it will fall on my anniversary, so I thought it would give DH and I a little different perspective. I also thought it might be a fun excuse to spend the weekend in the city instead of just commuting from the 'burbs.

Keep up the good work Goofs! You are all such good inspirations for me to continue training hard!

Nicky Speaking as someone who had only done one 1/2 before doing a full, I say go for it! It's the training that matters, not how many races you have done. Marathon training will obviously take more time, but if you're willing to put in the effort, you can do it.

And I have also tried out gear on a TM at the gym--who cares what they think! Hope your Jeopardy gets you through. (Funny, after I went on Jeopardy, I haven't watched it since!)

Maura

Heya Goofs!

Ashleigh I haven't tried Yak Traks yet. I have done outside runs in my Vibrams, which have pretty good traction, and in my normal shoes, which are fine, unless it is really icy. I have looked at them before, just haven't gotten them.

Joanne Congrats to you and your niece.

Nicky - I think I made the transition to marathon with only a couple halves under my belt. It is certainly doable, especially with as much time between now and October. Chicago is a fairly decent marathon, though I still haven't forgiven Pinkowski for a couple comments he made after the super-hot race a couple years ago.

I still haven't signed up for anything officially, but I am back into training mode. Starting in on the long runs, adding formal speedwork, and (ugh) hills. I forgot how brutal the hill workouts could be on the treadmill, although part of it is me not trying to slow down too much for them. 45 minutes of hill program stinks. I think I need lunch and a nap, but maybe not in that order.

Hey Goofs! Swinging by...
Kids have been out all week from the snow and I just haven't had much time to get on the computer since I got home.
Anyway, I survived the marathon and now have my Mickey bling. Am I happy? YES!!! :woohoo:
Hugs to all of you for all your help along the way! :grouphug:

I've been pretty consistent with my working out, but I am having a hard time finding races that interest me throughout this year. After racing at WDW all the other races seem kind of boring.

I there is a 8 race Grand Prix locally that I was excited about, but race 1 was last weekend and race 2 is when I am out of town on business, so it doesn't look like I'll get to do that series.

So far the only others that I've found that interest me are:
http://krispykremechallenge.com/ mmmmm donuts...
http://www.ruggedmaniac.com/

How do you find races that you're excited about?

On the plus side my dear wife is up for doing the half at disney next year and is starting c25k this weekend. I am going to go through the training with her in Vibram FFs so that I can slowly build my milage up in them.

Hey Goofs, sorry I've been MIA for a while too. I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. Congratulations to all the WDW finishers!

I have been so busy with work, trip planning, and yes, exercising that the boards have taken a bit of a back seat. After our upcoming cruise, hopefully life will settle back down for a while and I can be on here more. I miss all the reports and updates and feeding off the inspiration I get from so many of you!

I have a pretty busy race calendar this year. I'm doing a trail half marathon on Catalina island next weekend. After that, it's a week on the Wonder. I'm hoping this will be my first cruise without any weight gain. I plan to do lots of laps on Deck 4 to keep up my training.

My big race this year is the Big Sur Marathon in May. It will be only my second full. This time my training has been going a lot better and (knock on keyboard) I've been injury-free which is a lot more than I can say for my WDW '10 training. I plan to shave at least an hour off of that time.

I'm also doing the 100th Bay to Breakers in San Francisco in May as well as Wine & Dine at WDW in October.

Other than that, it's just a bunch of local races. I'm doing a 3-mile run tomorrow but it sounds more like an untimed nature fun run. I'll bring my Garmin anyway but not worry about a PR or placement.

-steve

Hi everyone! I would love to join your group! I have a full year of running planned already, culminating with going Goofy in 2012...I'm so excited about it! You guys seem like just the right people to keep me motivated through the year.
My race calendar thus far includes a few relays, and a couple of marathons...running the Mad Marathon in July (a new marathon in Vermont, where I live), and considering a couple of others in the fall. I'm signed up for Mount Desert Island, but my daughter has now scheduled her wedding for that weekend, which I guess is more important! :rotfl2:

Ashleigh: I have used Yak Traks. They're pretty good. I was concerned they'd be hard to get used to but I adjusted very quickly. They provide good additional traction, but you can still slide if you hit glare ice so you still have to be careful!

Steve: Big Sur is on my short list of marathons I dream of running someday. The pictures I've seen have me hooked! I can't wait to hear about your experience!

Happy running everyone!:woohoo:

Rich 45 minutes of hills would make me want to cry! I know I need to do some more hill training, though so I can make it up "Heartbreak Hill" without crying.

Ryan Rugged Maniac looks sorta like Warrior Dash which look like shorter versions of Tough Mudder. I have a friend who wants to do Tough Mudder since it is coming to Michigan either this year or next.

As for finding races....I'm not a good one to answer that. My races have either been at Disney or very local. I definitely want to travel to do some halfs though. Looking for a race or two with some WISH presence. Have just started looking at RnR Savannah, but that's not til November. Something over the summer would be nice.

Steve I envy you your upcoming races! I'm finding that up here in MI, there are no winter races to keep one going. I wish I could find some halfs within about 250 mniles of home. They would definitely break up the training runs for me. Enjoy your cruise!

Tracy Welcome! I think running MDI would be great. It's one of our favorite vacation spots (I am a MA native). I have also said--on the WISH boards, anyway--that I am doing Goofy next year. So I guess I better commit to it!

Doing 17 tomorrow. Hope the 2-3 inches of snow we got today clears off the road at least somewhat.

Maura

Hey Florida Girl (and anyone else interested)- sorry for the late reply
My niece did an intensive diet and exercise camp over the summer (Wellspring-I think) She researched it and decided this is what she needed to do to make the changes she needed too. I am so proud of her- we went to Boma on Sunday night after the race events and she had unbuttered pasta and fruit!
For the half- she told me the longest she ran was 5 miles but I knew she was physically active doing soccer and track. I was a little nervous since I had to complete the half in 3.5 hours. We did galloway and walked 2 ran 1. She finished strong and I believe I held her back. There were SO many people that it was impossible to go any faster!
I did the walk 2 run 1 for the full and finished in 6 (my goal was just to finish- next year will be better but I had a blast and would not have changed ANYTHING!)
I did the MCM a few years ago with a walk 1/run 2 and I actually did better with the walk 2/run 1!

So my 17 miles felt like double that. Had a couple of technical issues: my Camelbak tube froze after about 7 miles so I was pretty much without water. Plus it was hard to get good traction on the roads with some loose snow on top. Plus, not everyone shovels their sodewalks like they are supposed to, so running there can be a hit or miss proposition. But I got it done and enjoyed an extra-chocolaty milk and a nice hot shower afterwards.

What I didn't enjoy was the outcome of either football game :( Now it's time to root for the Steelers.

Maura

So my 17 miles felt like double that. Had a couple of technical issues: my Camelbak tube froze after about 7 miles so I was pretty much without water. Plus it was hard to get good traction on the roads with some loose snow on top. Plus, not everyone shovels their sodewalks like they are supposed to, so running there can be a hit or miss proposition. But I got it done and enjoyed an extra-chocolaty milk and a nice hot shower afterwards.

What I didn't enjoy was the outcome of either football game :( Now it's time to root for the Steelers.

Maura

I am so impressed with your 17 miles through the cold and the snow. You're like the USPS. Sorry to hear about your tube freezing. They make something called a thermal control kit for the camelbaks. ( It's basically a neoprene sleeve that wraps the tube which is supposed to keep it from freezing.) I'm not sure how cold they are rated to though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter