2011-2012 Boston Bruins (Offseason)

I call hog wash on the 2man advantage. Oscar performance by Letang. 1 fight and 2 goals later its 4-2 Pens. If history holds true, there should be at least 1 more 2man advantage for Pitt.

You know... The B's couldn't have helped their situation with a win. That being said, it doesn't make the loss any easier to take. The fact that Crosby scored twice stings even more. What hurts the worst is that we don't know the status of our #3 d-man.

A couple of positives from the game... 1) It looks like Pev's is feeling at home with Krejci and Lucifer. And 2) The Bruins have a young, strong, fast defenseman in the works NOT named Dougie Hamilton. Kruger played a tight and physical game. With the status of McQuaid and Boychuk unknown, this could prove very valuable.

Here we are... After 81 games, we are on the eve of the final game of the year. It seems like just the other day we all had a tear in our eye, watching the previous Bruin Stanley Cup winners and the current Stanley Cup winners, walking the banner across the ice so that it can be hoisted to the rafters. Then trying to keep your breathing and heart rate normal as you saw that banner being raised. I know I lost my breath and my heart skipped 1 or 2 beats. The B's lost that game and since then, it's been quite the roller coaster ride.

-From only gaining 6 pts in all of October, to going undefeated in regulation for November.

-We saw "the biggest waste of NHL talent" resurrect his career. Pouliot, though streaky, wowed us with some VERY timely and highlight worthy goals.

-The highest goal scorer on the B's is 38th in the league. Though the B's were 3rd in the league in goals scored and 1st in goal differential.

-We saw last year's raw talent mature and we welcomed back a guy we hadn't seen since the G.A.S. line days.

The Bruins go into Saturday's game with only 1 objective. Get out healthy. That may entirely depend on Buffalo though. They have nothing to play for except for revenge for the Lucic/Miller hit earlier in the season. It will be a wait and see game.

But, hopefully, we will get to see more of Khudobin, even if it's only for the 2nd period. Even in the brief appearances that we have seen him and Krug, the B's have some talent in the pipeline. Along with Caron, the B's have some nice young building blocks.

Also, this weekend is the final regular season games of the league. Though all the teams have clinched a playoff berth, there are some slots to be ironed out. Which could affect who the B's play somewhere down the bracket.

Next week I will put out the season's report card, in my opinion. I fully expect my grades may... :mad: if not :furious: a few people. But like I said, it is done from my opinion. After that, I will be altering the title of the thread to include the Bruins playoff opponent, and will be doing that through the playoffs.

In closing, 98.5 had Mark Recchi in studio for an interview. Off air, the taped a funny bit for "Mark Recci's Guide To Correctly Pronouncing Tough Hockey Names." Enjoy.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/...-to-correctly-pronouncing-tough-hockey-names/

Looking forward to the playoff thread, but I must say the road just went from straight to very muddled. The one team I did NOT want the Bruins to face in the first round were the Caps. It is just too even for me and the problems they have had with the SE Division this year are now staring at us in the face. They must come out stronger than they did against Montreal last year. Getting down to this team could be deadly.

I have updated the title of the thread. It looks like fate had thrown us a curve ball. I full intended on writing "vs. Ott. Senators". But nope. The Capitals manned up and clawed their way up to 7th place (and avoid the Rangers). Out of all the options (Ott, Wash & NJ), the Caps were the 1 that I was most affraid of. Even with their goalie situation is in shambles, the Caps' top 2 lines and PP units are elite. I don't see a lot of 2-1 games in this series.

The tough part is that this series will take an even bigger toll on the Bruins' already beaten up, blue liners. Getting in the way of the Washington's power forwards' slap shots will definitely ware on them.

That being said, I can see the Bruins winning this series 4-2. The Bergeron and Kelly lines have been clicking in the past couple of weeks. And hopefully we can get a repeat playoff performance from Rajon Krejci.

There are some questions that have to be answered before Thursday night:

-For the remaining 2 slots, who do you dress between Pouliot, Roloston, Caron?

-Even though Rask is skating, do you dress him or Khudobin? At least for the 1 rd.

-More of a trivial thing, but could come in play when dealing with the refs... How will Claude handle who is going to wear the 2nd 'A'?

-Who from Providence will the Bruins call up for their reserve roster? They have 5 slots available (1 slot already allocated for either Rask or Khudobin)

The answers to these questions and many others will be provided Thursday at7:30pm.

As promised, here is part 1 of the Bruins report card. Feel free to rip it apart. There are going to be some biased grades and some unpopular ones.

FORWARDS

Patrice Bergeron “A” : 22 – 42 = 64 (+36) A+
Bergeron is an NHL coach’s dream. He leads by doing. He is a player to be reckoned with on either end of the ice and on both special teams. And he can always be counted on in the face-off circle. The personification of a playmaker. As Gosher said at the season finale’, if Bergeron does not win the Selke, “there should be an investigation.”

Gregory Campbell : 8 – 8 = 16 (-3) C+
The center of the fan favorite 4th line. Never afraid to drop the gloves and has improved his face-off skills. A brick wall on the PK.

Jordan Caron : 7 – 8 = 15 (+/-0) C+
An up and coming player. When you see him play, you can tell he wants to be a 2 way player. He uses his size and strength to come across the blue line, to dig out in the corner and to break up plays when on the defensive. He has shown flashes of speed and stick handling. More experience can only bring about more results.

Nathan Horton : 17 – 15 = 32 (+/-0) Incomplete
Even though Horton played in only ½ a season, he was still top 10 in scoring for the Bruins. Who knows what kind of results he would have had with a full season. Especially with the tears he would go on.

Chris Kelly ‘A’ : 20 – 19 = 39 (+33) A-
One of the nicest surprises for the Bruins this year. Kelly really stepped into his leadership role. Moving around from wing to center, from line to line. Wherever he was needed, that’s where he was. All off season, people speculated what to expect from a full season with Kelly. We were not let down. Kelly was also the only Bruin to appear in every game this year.

David Krejci : 23 – 39 = 62 (-5) B-
Krejci, while being one of the team’s best offensive performers, is also one of its streakiest. Motivation has always seemed to be a factor with him. He likes to perform when he only has to focus on 1 aspect of his game. It wasn’t as big an issue when he had Horton and Lucic on the wings. Their toughness could compensate. But when Horton went down, Krejci proved a gaping defensive liability.

Milan Lucic : 26 – 35 = 61 (+7) B+
Always a physical presence on the ice. Whenever anyone goes behind the net for the puck, their head is always on a swivel for #17. Stepped up with some very timely goals. And it seems like his on ice vision has improved leading to better passes. Another Bruin that is never afraid to drop the gloves.

Brad Marchand : 28 – 27 = 55 (+31) A-
It was an incredible sophomore year for the young winger. Every aspect of his game improved. He is a young, tough, fast, smart self-motivator that I think we can expect big things from. How many times did the set play of “Bergeron winning the face-off to Chara who hits Marchand in stride with the outlet pass” yield results?

Daniel Paille : 9 – 6 = 15 (-5) C
He is a dangerous threat on the PK unit. The opposing team can never fully commit on their PP’s when Paille is on the ice. With his speed, he is always 1 first step away from a breakaway opportunity. Think PJ Axelsson without the defensive foresight.

Rich Peverley : 11 – 31 = 42 (+20) B
Another player that we al wondered what would happen with a full year on the team. Unfortunately, also, another player that missed at least 20 games due to injury. But he made the most of his time on the ice. Picking up this year where he left off. On Kelly’s wing. And then filling in for the injured Horton. A great all-around player.

Benoit Pouliot : 16 – 16 = (+/-0) B-
The second most streaky player behind Krejci. But when he did score they were things of beauty. Pulling the puck between his legs and then going top shelf… Awesome! If he can demonstrate some consistency, from game to game, he can easily be a 20 goal scorer and a welcome top 6 forward on most teams (and Jack Edwards is eating crow).

Brian Rolston : 3 – 12 = 15 (+7) C+
Rolston had a slow start in his 2nd stint with the Bruins. But, if you take away those 1st 5 games, When Julien was trying to figure out how to best use him, he translates to an almost point per game player. I don’t expect that this would hold true through a whole season, but for someone who was benched by the Islanders, it’s a step up.

Marc Savard : Incomplete
Inactive, but still a Bruin. Best wishes and hopes for a healthy life.

Tyler Seguin : 29 – 38 = 67 (+34) B
Seguin had a huge jump from his rookie year, where he was occasionally a healthy scratch. With the exception of a few disciplinary errors in judgment and some streaky play, he was phenomenal. He’s young and still needs some mentoring before he can take his own line. But as long as he learns from Obi-Wan Bergeron instead of Darth Krejci, he will have a long productive career.

Shawn Thornton : 5 – 8 = 13 (-7) B+
The spark plug that runs the engine that is the Bruins. An on ice leader despite the lack of an extra letter on the front of his sweater. No one on the other team is a tough guy hero when #22 is on the ice. And some call for a shift change when they see him hop over the boards. Could you imagine what would happen if someone took a run at Thornton? 1) They’d hope he doesn’t get up right away. 2) EVERY Bruin would drop the gloves the next shift. That’s what Thornton means to the team

That was the forwards. Before game 1, I will have the report card for defensemen and goalies.

There are some questions that have to be answered before Thursday night:

-For the remaining 2 slots, who do you dress between Pouliot, Roloston, Caron?

-Even though Rask is skating, do you dress him or Khudobin? At least for the 1 rd.

-More of a trivial thing, but could come in play when dealing with the refs... How will Claude handle who is going to wear the 2nd 'A'?

I think Rolston and Pouliot are givens but you forgot Paille. The last spot is between him and Caron. I think you start with the playoff experience and toughness then bring in the offence if needed. Like they did with Thornton and Seguin last year.

Make sure Rask is 100% and if that means Khudobin for the first few games, so be it.

Second "A" - For me it's Ferrence.

All, or most, of the NHL Networkers are picking the Bruins in 6 or 7, but this matchup scares me (bleep)less. And for those who claim this rookie goalie could be a weak spot I have two words--Ken Dryden. I'm not comparing the two, I'm just saying you never know when someone is going to overacheive.

Thursday can't get here soon enough.:cheer2:

I think Rolston and Pouliot are givens but you forgot Paille. The last spot is between him and Caron. I think you start with the playoff experience and toughness then bring in the offence if needed. Like they did with Thornton and Seguin last year.

Make sure Rask is 100% and if that means Khudobin for the first few games, so be it.

Second "A" - For me it's Ferrence.

All, or most, of the NHL Networkers are picking the Bruins in 6 or 7, but this matchup scares me (bleep)less. And for those who claim this rookie goalie could be a weak spot I have two words--Ken Dryden. I'm not comparing the two, I'm just saying you never know when someone is going to overacheive.

Thursday can't get here soon enough.:cheer2:

I didn't forget about Paille. Barring an injury, I wouldn't move him. That line has such a reputation and chemistry, I wouldn't mess with it.

I agree about the Rask/Khudobin situation.

I am so on the fence about who I'd give it to. Digging a little deeper, Chara will be on the ice 28-32 min a game. So it might be more efficient to let Kelly have it so that you can almost guarantee you will have a "letter" out there to bend the refs' ears.

I saw the same thing on the NHL Tonight Eastern Conference preview, and I thought THE EXACT SAME THING. Dryden was such a force in net that year, he won the Conn Smythe trophy before he even go the Caldur.

Defense and Goalies

Defense

Johnny Boychuk: 5 – 10 = 15 (+23) B
The solid, intimidating hard hitting defenseman would be a 1st pair D on ANY other team. He can stand up any forward crossing into Bruins defensive zone and has a slap shot that either goes in, causes a juicy rebound or injures whoever gets in the way. His +23 makes him 8th in the league, in the category. Hopefully, his injury will not be too serious, or the B’s could be in trouble. Would be a solid B+/A- if it weren’t for some sloppy passing.

Zdeno Chara “C” : 12 – 40 = 52 (+33) A
Big Z maintained the leadership role that he solidified last year, in the playoffs and became an even more physical presence on the ice. His passing skills really came to the forefront. Especially, with the aforementioned outlet pass to Marchand off of the face-off. He finished 4th in the league in +/- and finished top 10 among all defensemen in G, A and Pts.

Joe Corvo: 4 – 21 = 25 (+10) D+
I had a lot of hopes for Corvo this year. I had hoped that he would be everything that Kaberle was not. But there were just WAY TOO MANY errant passes in the defensive zone. With any other tandem of goalies, besides what the B’s had, Corvo could easily have been a – in the +/-. With the addition of Zanon, his minutes and games started to shrink. But when he did get time, he played like a changed man

Andrew Ferrence “A” : 6 – 18 = 24 (+9) B
“Captain Planet” was one of the most consistent players on the team from wire to wire. He is known for his poke checking ability, riding forwards into the corner and timely goal from the point. Split time this season as the alternate captain with Kelly. A very amped and vocal player and does not suffer fools or cheap shots lightly.

Adam McQuaid: 2 – 8 = 10 (+16) C+
To a man, from interviews I heard throughout the past year and a half, “Darth Quaider” was the consensus player that NONE of his teammates wanted to fight (including Thornton). Not always the most skilled D-man on the ice. But once he starts showing his “psycho squirrel eyes” (per Recchi), would you want to be an opposing forward skating into arms’ reach?

Dennis Seidenberg: 5 – 18 = 23 (+23) B+
The other half of the most defusing defensive pair of last year’s playoffs. A very well rounded defenseman. Knows when to pass, when to shoot, when to press, when to hang back and when to drive to the net. A consummate team player. Can disarm any forward the enters the zone.

Greg Zanon: 1 – 1 = 2 (+4) B-
One of the trade deadline acquisitions that had some people scratching their heads. “Why go out, and trade an up and coming finesse defenseman(Kampfer) for a fairly unremarkable D-man?” Well, you got your answer. “Little Z” stepped right in on his 1st shift and never looked back. He plays with a style similar to Ferrence. His stat sheet won’t “WOW” you, but he gets the job done.

Goalies:

Tuukka Rask: W – 11 GAA – 2.05 S% - .930 B
Tuuk was impressive all season until his injury. His status is still unknown for the playoffs. It seemed that he was willing to trust his instincts and not drop to the fly as soon as anyone approached the net. One of his best attributes is his competitive nature. One of his biggest weaknesses is the hole that is his left shoulder. The aspect of his personality that can go from positive to negative and back again is his mean streak. If he can patch all 3 together, he will be a wall.

Tim Thomas: W – 35 GAA – 2.35 S% - .920 B
The reigning Vezina winner was UNSTOPPABLE during the holiday season. As great a run as that was, his Feb and March were spotty at best. Granted, he had to work himself into the ground when Rask went down. But the inconsistency began, before the injury. But he is the ultimate competitor. He thrives on being the underdog and shutting up nay sayers. And he has returned to his “slinky for a spine” form

Incomplete: Marty Turco & Anton Khudobin
Turco had a rough start, but finished with 2 wins and started getting comfortable in his role. Khudobin was impressive in his 1 game with the B’s this year. Still uncertain if he will be the #2 or the reserve in Rd 1.

A tough, hard fought nerve jarring game last night. It seemed for every quality shot the Bruins had last night, the Caps had either a trickler just to the side of the goal of fan on an empty net. PHEWWWW!!!!

But luck can only last so long. Holtby looked good in net. Though in the 3rd period I couldn't tell if he was becoming overly confident in his glove or he was getting tired. A lot of his saves seemed like he was a 1B for the National taking a grounder from 2B for the 3rd out.

That rush that went from Corvo, to Rolston, to Pouliot, to Kelly was almost like they diagrammed it. Every pass and stride seemed so crisp. And the shot was a thing of beauty.

Just like the series so far Bruins 1 Caps 0.

By the way, I missed this originally. Did you see it when it happened?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsI65s2DU6w

I only saw the first 2 periods because of work and needing to get SOME sleep. I pick my spots for staying up late. That game gave me heart palpitations. I've seen too many Bruins games over the years where they dominate teritorialy but lose because they can't score, so I was relieved this morning when I saw the score. Gotta get to the net more for rebounds and deflections and shoot quicker so the Caps can't block shots so easily.
Liked the way Ovechkin was neutralized but he also did it to himself by trying to be so physical. That energy line(Aucoin etc.) makes me nervous. They were getting the Bruins to run around too much.
Hope for more good news tommorow. Take it to them hard.

I gotta admit. I hated NBC's coverage of the playoffs last year. The angles, the weak color commentary, and the incessant backing of certain teams and players (ie James Van Riemsdyk). This year has been better. Last year you never would've seen Thorton's reaction to AO's cross check and the commentary would never take Thornton's side. Also, the Marchand comment about the 7th player was awesome.

Going into Game 3 tonight, the Bruins have lost home ice advantage thanks to a split of the 1st 2 games. The B's do not have the last change over that next 2 games and I feel, that the games in Boston was the Caps setting up the Bruins for the rope-a-dope. Now that the Caps can pretty much limit when Seidenberg OR Chara can be on the ice, I think they're gonna open up their game. We are going to see a lot of multi-line passes and break aways. This means that the D-men are really going to have to defend the line.

Also, The B's will have to break from their high school fundamentals offensive set. They are making their shots too easy to see for Holtby. They need someone in front of the goal, to set up screens and to bang home the junk. Also, they need to start hitting Lucic with some outlet passes and just let him skate through Green or whoever is unfortunate to get in his way. I think Rolston (or if they dress him) Caron could gain the zone that way.

Those are my keys to tonight. But how awesome are this year's playoffs? All those OT games... And the 2 most despicable teams are on the verge of being swept (knock wood). With those 2 serieses, I'm waiting for 2 things.

1st) To hear Vancouver whine "Well, we don't have a #2 scorer..." You don't say... You lost a significant offensive presence due to a concussion and that's an excuse for hanging them up? I can see that. After all, NOBODY could recover from such a loss. Ohhh... Wait...

2nd) Seeing Crosby actually fight a fight that he started. SERIOUSLY!!! You are going to cowboy collar Scott Hartnell and not expect him to do anything? But at least we know that Crosby's skill to skate backwards is still intact. He bought enough time so that Adams could skate over and bail him out.

1st) To hear Vancouver whine "Well, we don't have a #2 scorer..." You don't say... You lost a significant offensive presence due to a concussion and that's an excuse for hanging them up? I can see that. After all, NOBODY could recover from such a loss. Ohhh... Wait...

2nd) Seeing Crosby actually fight a fight that he started. SERIOUSLY!!! You are going to cowboy collar Scott Hartnell and not expect him to do anything? But at least we know that Crosby's skill to skate backwards is still intact. He bought enough time so that Adams could skate over and bail him out.

OMG :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: You mean someone touched Crosby!!! The Earth will stop spinning on it's axis! Does the NHL hierchy know yet? :rotfl::rotfl:

I will say that thanks to 2 OT's my workout was painful. We hit the eliptical with a bet to stay til the end OMG!!

ITA with all your observations - we gotta start playing the middle or ?????

Ah, playoff hockey. Nothing better to induce sore feet from pacing, heart failure from the highs and lows and watching the all out HATRED developing on the ice.
Finally the Bruins got people to the net and put pressure on Holtby, got a power play goal (BIG Z, YES!) and hit, hit, HIT. Not all good of course allowing Ovechkin to get that quick goal after the tying tally and the clean breakaway the Caps got to tie the game late. I expected the Caps would open it up at home but that also allowed the Bruins to get back into their game. We now have a little breathing room, but it would be so sweet to take game 4 too. If the top two lines can just get going, this series is ours.
As for the other series, Pitt and Van are going down in flames and I LOVE IT!!
Hopefully Philly will be to bruised for the second round because they are going to be tough. (Felger actually wants them)

I know, I know. Chara's goal was 4 on 4 , not a power play, OK-my bad.

Just picked up a ticket for Game 5, YES! Hope it's a handshake game.

Here we go... Game 4. The game that determines whether the series can be decided in the next game, or whether it just became a best of 3 series. I have to admit, these games have been way closer than I thought they would ever be. I thought for sure, 1 way or another, every game would be decided by at least 2 goals. Instead, we've had series that has 3 HARD fought games all decided by 1 goal each and have had 3 OT's. And with the heat that was brought last game (some of which resulting in a 1 game suspension), the doors should be blown off tonight.

Speaking of the last game, it was reported that Alzner waited by the Bruins bus after the game to offer an apology. Not to Lucic for his cry baby taunt. But to Marchand for an "under the radar" elbow that Alzner threw at him earlier in the night. You can take the gesture as you like. A classy move by a guy who got caught up in the energy or a guy offering an olive branch out of self-preservation. In related news, Shawn Thornton was asked about the taunt, his response was "Looch doesn't cry. He just punches someone in the face when he gets angry." Awesome quote.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter