2011/2012 Beach & Yacht FAQ, Part IV- DO NOT POST- see new 2012 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dee, PAGE 200!!!! Won't be long now before we are locked down again!

Yup, I'm watching it! I'll be putting up a new thread around the beginning of March as I will be going away for a few days that week. We have been logging almost 4 pages a day lately, so the timing will be just about perfect.

Thanks guys!!

ps- had my first disney nightmare lastnight, guess I'm officially obsessed. I had a dream that we forgot to bring our snacks and wine in my suitcase, and that we kept rushing around trying to make it to our adr's on time. I kept stressing out and I was telling myself in my dream to relax and enjoy it haha

I know that nightmare! In mine, I either forget to bring my camera or charger or memory cards or all of the above.

Thankfully no Disney nightmares here for a while, but now that you brought it up, I'll probably have one tonight.

Mine are usually dreams where it's the last day of the trip and I just haven't seen hardly anything so I'm panicking about how to see as much as I can before we have to leave.

Just wanted to send some hugs and tell you that I'm living this EVERY SINGLE DAY.
My 2nd grader (he turned 8 last weekend) has had a terrible year. He's always been a perfectionist. When he was a preschooler we used to joke around that he was an 80 year old neurotic little old Jewish man who worried about everything. Not so funny when he was put in a class with a teacher who yells. It's been bad enough that we've had to medicate him for anxiety and depression. And I get regular emails from the school about him having melt-downs. Even though he's an amazingly talented artist (his teacher says the best she's ever seen) and incredibly smart and popular, he thinks he's stupid and nobody likes him. It's heart-breaking! I'm glad that your school is being supportive (our school refuses to switch his class). I hope he feels better!!!

Amanda

Oh, Amanda, I can't imagine how much worse it would be if he didn't love his teacher this year... She is sooooo awesome with boys. My daughter had her last year and still says that she was the best teacher she ever had. I am hopeful that once we know what we are dealing with things will improve. However, I am afraid if we get a diagnosis and he needs accommodations it will affect his self-esteem in a terrible way. :( The Assistant Principal told me that he isn't eating his lunch either. She and the Principal are keeping an eye out. The AP told me that she made him the head of distribution for the school newspaper, and she said that she would try to do whatever she could to boost his self-esteem. They are so helpful and kind.

I have a shopping question....

I would like to take a brief step outside of WDW to go to the Orlando Premium Outlet mall one afternoon. We won't have a car, so I'm wondering about transportation.

Does the mall have a shuttle bus service to the BC/YC or the Swan/Dolphin? If not, I assume our best option will be to take a taxi.

Also to add to the conversation about difficulties in school, I can report a good news story to give others hope. My son had no self esteem in Grade 1 and 2, felt he was stupid, couldn't get work done etc. We had him assessed, identified the learning disability and all has been better each year since. Once he was assessed he was able to get the special ed resources he needed and each year he does a bit better. Now he is in Grade 10 and only has English in special ed. and he has an 82% average. He has made the decision (all on his own) to take an extra year for high school in order to move to University entrance level courses, so next year he will not have any special ed classes, but will repeat some of his grade 10 courses to get to the academic level needed to get to University. It is so great to be able to go to the school and hear his teachers say what an amazing student he is. So my advice is to keep at it, get your children as much extra resources as possible and keep encouraging along the way.

Also to add to the conversation about difficulties in school, I can report a good news story to give others hope. My son had no self esteem in Grade 1 and 2, felt he was stupid, couldn't get work done etc. We had him assessed, identified the learning disability and all has been better each year since. Once he was assessed he was able to get the special ed resources he needed and each year he does a bit better. Now he is in Grade 10 and only has English in special ed. and he has an 82% average. He has made the decision (all on his own) to take an extra year for high school in order to move to University entrance level courses, so next year he will not have any special ed classes, but will repeat some of his grade 10 courses to get to the academic level needed to get to University. It is so great to be able to go to the school and hear his teachers say what an amazing student he is. So my advice is to keep at it, get your children as much extra resources as possible and keep encouraging along the way.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Janet! :love:

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Janet! :love:

In one short post, I couldn't capture all the struggles it took to get to this point, but I just wanted to share that with alot of determination it is possible to keep advocating for your children to get them to a positive point in the end. The one thing I have learned is that it is up to the parent to keep pushing the school, but once the school sees that the parent is engaged they will step up and help the child. I've been very happy with the public school system in Toronto.

Okay, back on track ;) - can't wait to get to the YC soon!

I mentioned a few days back that I had read that the Yachtsman was to close to have a new floor. Its now been confirmed with the dates:

Yachtsman Steakhouse to Undergo Refurbishment
Beginning on Aug. 27, 2012, the Yachtsman Steakhouse at Disney's Yacht Club Resort will be closed for refurbishment through Sept. 14, 2012. The Yachtsman Steakhouse is expected to reopen on September 15, 2012. See more Walt Disney World refurbishments on our WDW Rehab and Closure page.

I mentioned a few days back that I had read that the Yachtsman was to close to have a new floor. Its now been confirmed with the dates:

Beginning on Aug. 27, 2012, the Yachtsman Steakhouse at Disney's Yacht Club Resort will be closed for refurbishment through Sept. 14, 2012. The Yachtsman Steakhouse is expected to reopen on September 15, 2012. See more Walt Disney World refurbishments on our WDW Rehab and Closure page.

Thank goodness it's not until August! DH and I will have our 10 yr anniversary dinner there in July! We already don't get Cape May Cafe due to refurb.:sad2:

Does the hotel provide pool towels? I searched this thread but didn't find an answer, thanks!

Hi!

Hubby and I will be staying at the BC in May. It will be the first time staying there and I wanted to bring my Kindle Fire with me. I see you can purchase a Wi-Fi access card..how much are they? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Hi!

Hubby and I will be staying at the BC in May. It will be the first time staying there and I wanted to bring my Kindle Fire with me. I see you can purchase a Wi-Fi access card..how much are they? Sorry if this has been asked before.

:welcome:

I believe there is now free Wi-Fi in the resort rooms. I haven't stayed since this was changed, so I don't know exactly how well it works or if it is also available in the lobby and pool areas of the resort.

I believe someone who came back shortly after the Wi-Fi was added to the rooms said it didn't work all that well, but the resort was putting in improvements.

Does anyone who has been in the last month or so have any feedback about the service?

On another note, if you would like to be added to the Be Our Guest list on page 1, please let me know the dates of your trip.

I believe there is now free Wi-Fi in the resort rooms. I haven't stayed since this was changed, so I don't know exactly how well it works or if it is also available in the lobby and pool areas of the resort.

I believe someone who came back shortly after the Wi-Fi was added to the rooms said it didn't work all that well, but the resort was putting in improvements.

Does anyone who has been in the last month or so have any feedback about the service?

On another note, if you would like to be added to the Be Our Guest list on page 1, please let me know the dates of your trip.

Thanks for the info and the welcome. We will only be staying for 2 days since we live about an hour away. May 23 & 24th....the 24th is my Birthday. We usually stay onsite when we go to WDW (mostly for F&WF) that way we can relax. First time staying at the BC...got tired of the buses. Looking forward to it!

Here is the info I found on Cape May closing dates.

Cape May Cafe at Disney's Beach Club Resort will be closing for a refurbishment this summer. The restaurant will close on July 9 through to August 4 2012, with a planned reopening on August 5 2012.

This is from the wdwmagic site

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Dining/Cape...e-closing-for-refurbishment-in-the-summer.htm

The Cape May manager told me the other week that it would be closed 7/9 through 8/9.

I would like to put this info on Page 1 of the thread under the dining info.

The Yachtsman info has been posted in a couple of places, but I haven't seen it hit allears, and I don't know where to look for this info on the DIS or WDW websites.

T- if possible, could you confirm the dates for us? Thanks!

We had free Wi-Fi. It was difficult to use for me on my Nook Color. It worked better if Chuck had his laptop off. So it may be because we had 2 things trying to use it at the same time. It worked better for him than me. I gave up trying. It was way too frustrating. I have not had the problem with my Nook Color before or since so I do not think it was the Nook. If I remember I think someone else mentioned that it only works well for one thing at a time.

I would like to put this info on Page 1 of the thread under the dining info.

The Yachtsman info has been posted in a couple of places, but I haven't seen it hit allears, and I don't know where to look for this info on the DIS or WDW websites.

T- if possible, could you confirm the dates for us? Thanks!

Yachtsman Steakhouse will be closed from Aug. 27-Sept. 14, 2012 (please note, dates are subject to change).

Cape May Café at Disney' Beach Club Resort will be closed from July 9-August 4, 2012, for refurbishment (please note, dates are subject to change).

The above two are the announcements officially made. However, the managers at Cape May Cafe are still saying 7/9 to 8/9.

Typically what time are the BCV ready for occupancy? Can arrive anytime b/c we're staying at Grandparents the night before. Just wondering what time we should plan on showing up? I was thinking of arriving early to let kids swim at pool but it would be nice to unpack luggage before getting wet. Thank you!!!
Long time lurker...newbie poster princess:

Yachtsman Steakhouse will be closed from Aug. 27-Sept. 14, 2012 (please note, dates are subject to change).

Cape May Café at Disney' Beach Club Resort will be closed from July 9-August 4, 2012, for refurbishment (please note, dates are subject to change).

The above two are the announcements officially made. However, the managers at Cape May Cafe are still saying 7/9 to 8/9.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter