2011/2012 Beach & Yacht FAQ, Part IV- DO NOT POST- see new 2012 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jen, you made me LOL!!!

Interesting review! Glad you had a great trip. It sounds like the Club Lounge with the fireworks is certainly a draw for the CR but the fact that even that didn't change your allegiance is quite a coup for the YC!

...and I love your pushpin comments! :goodvibes

We had nicknamed the September trip "the vacation with no fireworks" as we never saw a full show... this vacation was the "trip with no transport" due to our issues (one notable one totally my fault!). I would stay CR again, but only if I didn't plan on venturing far from MK.

I still feel that Cali Grill may be the best way to watch the fireworks.

Both resorts carried phone books, so that wasn't a factor for us.;)

Hi Jen! Just wanted to chime in on the transportation/location issue because that's a huge factor for us. I absolutely agree with this point regarding transportation. Now, I spent all my childhood WDW trips at the Poly and I absolutely love it. But the Epcot resorts rank higher overall for many reasons, and transportation is high on that list. For our family, walking is the best option - and the ability to walk to two parks from BC/YC is huge. No waiting for anything - including the monorail. Even if the monorail doesn't break down or experience delays, you still have to wait for it and (unless you're at Poly) wait to transfer from the Epcot monorail to the resorts monorail. We find that this takes quite a bit of time. The walk out of DHS or Epcot back to the room just cannot be beat!

Next year, we're staying a night at Poly (nostalgia!), we're trying GF and CR for the first time (bucket list!) and then we're ending our trip at BC and BWI. We're ending at the Epcot resorts based on the "best for last" theory. :)

If you did it over again, would you choose CL at CR or book a regular tower bay view room?

Agreed 100% - it's just nice to have options, period. We've outpaced the boat coming back to YC a time or two on foot, and others it was nice to have the ability to just sit back and float down the river! Being able to walk to/from Epcot (esp. with dinner reservations) is key.

This next trip will be our first "resort hopping" experience, so I hope that doesn't add any stress. Seems that tons of people do it with no issues, so I figured why not?:goodvibes

As for CR, I think I'd go CL for a reason I didn't mention in the last post. The concierge at the CL KNOW what they are doing....downstairs, not so much. We also like the "free" quick breakfasts in the morning and they made sure my DH and I had a small selection of beer and sodas in our room fridge for the afternoon / evening. (I did ask for this, but they took care of it with no issue)

Also, the higher / farther away from Chef Mickeys and the monorail, the better!

We adored the view of Bay Lake, and I think I'd request that over MK any day, but that's just personal preference.

We were thinking Poly, but I am not sure how much I like the idea of multiple buildings - when I get back to the resort, the last thing I usually want to do is walk. (Which is why we're going CL GF... because I am super lazy and want to be in the main building.They can also guarantee a king bed that way....an elusive thing that I have still not experienced at Disney. :rotfl2:)

The monorail was running at reduced speeds btwn GF and MK last weekend, due to the cold snap so it took us 6 minutes just to get from the GF station to the front of the MK. Little things like that make me glad I have an option to walk at the Epcot resorts.

So now that we're back (and finally rested enough!) from our weekend away, I thought I'd share a little bit of perspective for those who might be thinking about Yacht Club vs. one of the MK properties.

We stayed CL Lagoon View in Sept 2011 at YC and just returned from Contemporary Resort Feb 2012 CL Bay Lake View.

Off the bat, I wanted to point out something that a few of the guide books all seem to say is wrong. The YC rooms are NOT DARK. I don't know where they got that from, really. The Contemporary (which I was expecting to be extra bright ) was light....when the curtains were open. Other than that, the dark tones allowed much less light to get through. (Also on the record, I did like the rooms, just not nearly as much as YC).

The other big difference I noticed? The Club Level Lounges. Contemporary was AWESOME for fireworks viewing. Our first night was spent on the balcony in the lounge watching them practically alone while they piped in the music. (Well, my DH was watching, I was bawling because Disney does that to me ;)) The food selections however were much better at the YC. There were only two options of "hot" appetizers in the evening, and a small cheese plate. Not the level of selection you get at YC, and breakfast was even more noticeable.

Also, the YC CL rooms seemed to be much quieter. I was lucky enough to be on the far side of the Contemporary AWAY from Chef Mickey's....but I still heard the monorail voice every morning starting at 7AM, through my door, on the 12th floor!:headache:

This brings up another key point- Transportation. I found it MUCH easier to get to/from all the parks at the YC. You'd think being on the Monorail makes things super quick. It doesn't. At all. If you plan on spending a lot of time in Epcot / DHS.... I'd go YC. I had no idea how good I had it at YC until staying at CR.

Needless to say I'm really glad I had the opportunity to experience a totally different (and very nice, do not get me wrong!) resort with Contemporary, but so far, YC is winning! (Go ahead, tell me you didn't read that with a Charlie Sheen voice...)

This coming October, we'll be spending our time between YC / BWI / and (I just added while my DH was still in love with all things Disney....it lasts at least a few weeks after we return....) GF.

Hope that helps someone with their planning. Again, just my opinions based on our stay - nothing else.

Hope everyone is staying warm!

Jen

The "dark side" remark for the YC from me is strictly because I find the lobby at the YC so much darker (colors) than the lightness and brightness of the lobby at the BC. In fact, I really like the room decor at the YC better than the BC.

I'm delighted you liked the Y&B club level lounges and food. They are identical on both sides. And I agree with you on transportation. Bob loves staying at the GF and I find the transportation from the monorail resorts much worse than from the Y&B.

Thanks for sharing your report!

The "dark side" remark for the YC from me is strictly because I find the lobby at the YC so much darker (colors) than the lightness and brightness of the lobby at the BC. In fact, I really like the room decor at the YC better than the BC.

I'm delighted you liked the Y&B club level lounges and food. They are identical on both sides. And I agree with you on transportation. Bob loves staying at the GF and I find the transportation from the monorail resorts much worse than from the Y&B.

Thanks for sharing your report!

Of course! And when I referenced the "dark" comment, it was specifically in the UG book, they likened them to bad motel rooms and I just thought that was silly, especially since one of their "lighter" resorts had much less light! :goodvibes

I thought you would call it the dark side because BC was your home ;) There must be some sort of fun CM rivalry going on....:goodvibes

So now that we're back (and finally rested enough!) from our weekend away, I thought I'd share a little bit of perspective for those who might be thinking about Yacht Club vs. one of the MK properties.

Jen

Hey Jen- thanks for sharing your review/resort throwdown with us!

And, I can now say (I've been waiting for this):

MY MICKEY PUSHPIN IS COMPLETELY ENCOMPASSED BY SPACESHIP EARTH.

It's the little things... :)

Is it wrong that I have been waiting for this too??? :yay:

I am also, impatiently, waiting for the monorail on my ticker to start pushing Mickey's behind.

Hooray - I just got an e-mail from the Yacht Club IPO, wanting to help us with any reservations - oh, this is so fun! So, naturally I called them back and they would be PLEASED to be the ones to get up at an ungodly hour at the 180 day mark and make our ADR's for us! Hope it works! Six months from tomorrow and we are leaving for Disney!

In all seriousness- if any of you ever need someone to make dining reservations for you at 180 days, I would totally do it!!! I am up way before 6 am every day, and calling Disney Dining is one of my favorite pastimes. How sad am I that I didn't get to do this for my upcoming trip??? :sad2:

The only thing I am not sure about is how the whole credit card reservation thing would work. I wonder if they would let you call later to give your cc info.

I thought you would call it the dark side because BC was your home ;) There must be some sort of fun CM rivalry going on....:goodvibes

We laugh about it. Sometimes they will call and ask me to work on the "dark side". I work at the Y&B afterall ... it's one big resort. The CMs float from one side to the other all the time. If I do work on the "dark side", I always moan about how dark it is in the lobby. I keep asking everybody to turn on the lights.

Ok I keep looking for a PIN and I want one so bad. If I get a decent discount I could change over my trip to BC. Then I started thinking, um why would they give a discount for BC during F&W when people are more than willing to pay higher for the conveinence to the festival.

Have any of you gotten a pin in October?

On a funnier note.

We all know the official snack cake of the YC/BC thread is Tasty cakes. Well I went to visit my dad who lives on the eastern side of the state and while at the store I saw TASTYCAKES. Wow. They had coconut and some kind of krimpet.

Today while running errends I got in line at Target and low and behold there was another display of TASTYCAKES. Black and White Krimpets, Jelly Krimpets, Butterscotch Krimpets. AND....Tandy Cakes (white sponge with chocolate frosting) and Chocolate Juniors!:rotfl: I totally bought the last two just because you east coasters are always talking about them....I had to stick them in the freezer cause I have a darn chocolate pecan pie setting on the counter right now, but I couldn't pass them up.:rolleyes:

You people are a baaaaad influence on me.

Oh I WISH we were on the Platinum Plan!!! Not in the cards this trip! LOL Thanks for the information and glad to hear your DD felt it was useful. How far away is Osprey Ridge by car would you estimate?

Honestly I don't remember how far it is. It's down a road where its not really developed yet... passed the campgrounds. I also went different ways each time back to the hotel so it could be closer than I think it was to YC/BC. Magnolia/Palm was really very pretty though. The pro shop at Osprey was much nicer. Can you tell the golf was for DD and not me... I had not a bit of interest in that part of the trip :) When I stayed and waited for her I would sit in the little waiting area or outside on a bench with my Ipad where i would catch up on the Disboards!

~Nannette

I meant to respond to this yesterday. We have never had that type of pixie dust before so am not sure how often that happens. I wanted to make sure that you put her birthday on any ADR's that you have. Nathan's was and he even got a cupcake and candle for breakfast! We had dinner at Cape May and they encouraged the tables to sing Happy Birthday along with us. He was beaming ear to ear.

The breakfast at Cape May was fantastic

Tks Rusty & Kelleigh1 for the info!! Yes all our ADR's have her birthday on them, when I confirm my villa reserv. I will make sure it's on there too! (My sister made the reserv as she is the DVC member), and we are also doing breakfast at Cape May, great to hear the food was so good.

Regarding the "Birthday Button", can you get it only at the Parks or can you also get it at check-in. I think when making my ADR's the CM told me you can get them at each resort too?

I am also, impatiently, waiting for the monorail on my ticker to start pushing Mickey's behind.

LMAO!!!! Poor Mickey. :rotfl: So happy to be with people that understand... I was talking with someone today who told me her former boss was at a meeting and started talking about how much she HATES Disney. She said that she wouldn't go there as a child even when her parents went, that she would NEVER bring her children there, and that anyone who went to Disney were ignorant morons. She said this in front of a staff member who had been saving for her family's trip for a year and she KNEW it. Anyway, people who say nonsense like that are ignorant morons!!!! :mad: This woman is nasty in all areas. I think she needs a bit of magic! LOL

Honestly I don't remember how far it is. It's down a road where its not really developed yet... passed the campgrounds. I also went different ways each time back to the hotel so it could be closer than I think it was to YC/BC. Magnolia/Palm was really very pretty though. The pro shop at Osprey was much nicer. Can you tell the golf was for DD and not me... I had not a bit of interest in that part of the trip :) When I stayed and waited for her I would sit in the little waiting area or outside on a bench with my Ipad where i would catch up on the Disboards!

~Nannette

DH is going to do a lesson - he actually started sounding very excited talking about it tonight. Thanks so much.

Have any of you gotten a pin in October?

We're going in October and I've received 2 PIN codes for those dates already.

jen: thanks for the report especially since we are staying at YC in Oct.

Down to 149 more days till Disney!!! :banana:

We were supposed to be heading back a week from today but due to my DH's military obligations, our Feb trip was moved to July, so our countdown started at 348 (because we booked in July).... Glad its going by....and that DH will be home in 11 days!!!:yay:

I can't wait to experience BC for the 1st time this trip...I paid off our package last week, so now I sit and wait....

DH is going to do a lesson - he actually started sounding very excited talking about it tonight. Thanks so much.

You're Welcome! Hope he enjoys as much as DD did!

I am meeting my DD in just 3 weeks and almost 6 days for our little get away!!
So excited.. I haven't seen her since December 4th! Heal foot heal!!!

~Nannette

We stayed CL Lagoon View in Sept 2011 at YC and just returned from Contemporary Resort Feb 2012 CL Bay Lake View.

Off the bat, I wanted to point out something that a few of the guide books all seem to say is wrong. The YC rooms are NOT DARK. I don't know where they got that from, really. The Contemporary (which I was expecting to be extra bright ) was light....when the curtains were open. Other than that, the dark tones allowed much less light to get through. (Also on the record, I did like the rooms, just not nearly as much as YC).

The other big difference I noticed? The Club Level Lounges. Contemporary was AWESOME for fireworks viewing. Our first night was spent on the balcony in the lounge watching them practically alone while they piped in the music. (Well, my DH was watching, I was bawling because Disney does that to me ;)) The food selections however were much better at the YC. There were only two options of "hot" appetizers in the evening, and a small cheese plate. Not the level of selection you get at YC, and breakfast was even more noticeable.

Also, the YC CL rooms seemed to be much quieter. I was lucky enough to be on the far side of the Contemporary AWAY from Chef Mickey's....but I still heard the monorail voice every morning starting at 7AM, through my door, on the 12th floor!:headache:

This brings up another key point- Transportation. I found it MUCH easier to get to/from all the parks at the YC. You'd think being on the Monorail makes things super quick. It doesn't. At all. If you plan on spending a lot of time in Epcot / DHS.... I'd go YC. I had no idea how good I had it at YC until staying at CR.

Needless to say I'm really glad I had the opportunity to experience a totally different (and very nice, do not get me wrong!) resort with Contemporary, but so far, YC is winning! (Go ahead, tell me you didn't read that with a Charlie Sheen voice...)

This coming October, we'll be spending our time between YC / BWI / and (I just added while my DH was still in love with all things Disney....it lasts at least a few weeks after we return....) GF.

Hope that helps someone with their planning. Again, just my opinions based on our stay - nothing else.

Hope everyone is staying warm!

Jen

Hi Jen,

Thanks so much for your review.

We stayed CR CL last time, and we are looking forward to staying YC CL in 22 sleeps. :banana::banana::banana:

I think we will love YC much more so than CR. That said, CR was a wonderful place to stay, but I do think the YC will suit us better.

Hi everyone... I just read in a book that you can view some of the firework shows from the beach of the Beach & Yacht Club. Can someone offer details on this? Such as, is there an area in particular that you would recommend? Are chairs available, does it get crowded? Also, what shows are best seen from this area? Thank you!

Regarding the "Birthday Button", can you get it only at the Parks or can you also get it at check-in. I think when making my ADR's the CM told me you can get them at each resort too?

We were given one at check-in for our daughter's birthday.

And, I can now say (I've been waiting for this):

MY MICKEY PUSHPIN IS COMPLETELY ENCOMPASSED BY SPACESHIP EARTH.

It's the little things... :)

I don't have a pushpin, but I think we're about as close as you. Jiminy is ready to hop on the flowers for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter