2010 Free Dining FAQ and Questions Thread

Hi everyone! It has been at least 5 years since we have been to Disney and we are hoping to plan a trip for this December. I have some questions on the free dining plan....
Can anyone tell me how much you have to put down on a reservation in order to get free dining? I won't know for sure if we can go until October, but I am thinking I should book now to get free dining. If for some reason our trip falls through would I still get a refund?
Is it super busy during free dining?
Anyone know how the weather is in December?
Is it impossible to get a ADR?

I am so excited! it has been a huge dream to see Disney at Christmas time!!
Thanks!

Hi everyone! It has been at least 5 years since we have been to Disney and we are hoping to plan a trip for this December. I have some questions on the free dining plan....
Can anyone tell me how much you have to put down on a reservation in order to get free dining? I won't know for sure if we can go until October, but I am thinking I should book now to get free dining. If for some reason our trip falls through would I still get a refund?

Thanks!

I can't answer all your questions as this is the first time we are going to WDW. I do know that it is a $200 deposit to hold your reservation and payment in full is due 45 days in advance. You can start booking your ADRs at 180 days.

Thanks!

Not all of December if available for booking, only select dates:

This discount must be booked by 8/14/10. Free dining available August 15 - October 7, October 22-28, November 12-18, November 27 - December 2, and December 10-21, 2010. All discounts are subject to availability, certain restrictions apply.

You must put down a $200.00 deposit to book your reservation and the balance is not due until 45 days before arrival. I would book now, as there are a limited number of rooms allotted for the FD discount and there's always a possiblity they will sell out.

December has medium-ish crowds and the closer it get to Christmas the crazier the crowds will get. Christmas week through New Year's is the single busiest week of the year at WDW and the parks are known to close by due to being at capacity.

As far as weather, that's hard to say. It could be hot, it could be cold. When we went in Dec. 2008 it was hot, in the 80's most days. In Dec. 2005, it was cold and we wore jackets.

ADRs will be hard to come by, especially with free dining being offered. We are going Dec. 10 - 19 and I made my ADRs about 2 weeks ago and the popular place were already filling up. Got most everything we wanted, except LeCellier, but not my first seating choices and had to move my days around some too. So, you better go ahead and book your ADRs. You can just cancel them if ya'll decide not to go.

Hi all,

I just want to let you know that Disney is also sending out free dining PIN numbers by e-mail. I got mine 2 weeks ago. We are going to WDW Nov 30 - Dec 5th. I tried the free dining PIN that was given out to the public and was promptly told that is was not available at the hotel we are staying at
(we are springing for the Contemporary this time), he was kind of rude. He said they are trying to fill up the non-popular hotels; not really sure what that could possibly mean, they are all great fun. I received the PIN, called the number (was not able to connect online) and they were more than happy to accomodate. Another FYI is that the e-mail said this offer was good through 10/09/10!! It may be offered for lonnger. So, if at first you do not succeed, keep trying....

Good luck and have magic in your life every day, I do .

Hi All,

I just read my post and want to clarify something. My e-mail with the PIN said I had until October 9, 2010 to book it not the August 14, 2010 date that is given out to the public.
Sorry for the confusion. I guess I need to review what I write first!! (My old English teacher would be proud.)
Have a magical evening.

Last year I booked our free dining in July for a September trip with lots of openings. I just checked to see what was available for my dates. And lets just say not much.

No moderates left

The only value left is ASSP standard room. And the cheapest room deluxe to come up is WL CL room. Glad I booked boumceback last year. I'm hoping for another bounceback offer.

What if you want to book a Moderate or Deluxe and want the Quick Service plan instead of the Regular Dining? Will they downgrade the dining for you?
I don't care if it doesn't change the price, I just prefer the QS.

Thanks for any responses.

What if you want to book a Moderate or Deluxe and want the Quick Service plan instead of the Regular Dining? Will they downgrade the dining for you?
I don't care if it doesn't change the price, I just prefer the QS.

Thanks for any responses.
No, they will not downgrade you. A CM posted that the computer system is not set up to do that in regard to the free dining discount/code.

Can I use a TS credit for QS?

Yes, I would keep the TSDP because you may want to go to a TS restaurant once or twice during your trip. All the other TS can be converted to QS but not the other way around (can't use QS to pay for part of the TS meal) But the good thing about the QSDP is that you get 2 snacks per day instead of 1 :cool1: and you get the free refill mug (which is like $13 per person plus all the free soda in our family we will save hundreds :yay:...sad to say, soda is so bad for us:headache:) We have only 3 ADR's for our trip which I am paying for out of pocket for them...I could upgrade to the TS for only $180 more but like I said the free mug and extra snack a day with the QSDP is still a better deal for us. Last year we spent so much time and energy of all the ADR's that it basically dictated our entire trip :mad:. This year we are taking it easy and not being slaves to the ADR's :). I don;t want every second of my trip to be planned....want a little freedom this time and QS gives you so much more freedom. I live in NY with the best restaurants in the world so why would I stress over a ressie at Teppan Edo or Sci Fi cafe etc...:rolleyes: This year we are staying at a value (POP) so we get the free QSDP but if you are staying at a moderate you get the free TSDP.

Tina

Thanks Tina. We are staying at Pop but upgraded our dining. DH requires 1 TS meal a day to be a happy guy. We have a lot of character meals since this is our first trip and the kids are so young. I was just wondering if something were to happen and we were to miss one of our many ADRs if we could still get CS or if we just lose that credit. Thanks for all the info though!

I read through this thread and found the answer to my question without having to ask! Thanks!

I booked my package for the last week in October on July 2nd. I had a pin code for 40% off the room rate. Yesterday, I called about getting the free dining. I am staying at Pop and my original package included the basic dining plan. With the free dining I upgraded the free quick service back to the basic. I am saving just under $100. I couldn't figure that out since the free dining should have saved me close to $300. The agent I spoke to didn't mention that I'd lose my discounted room rate if I took the free dining. I'd still take the savings but I would have liked to have known up front.

But I am happy! A trip to Disney and a savings! Can't beat that! :cool1:

Okay.....I did get to take advantage of the free dining offer before it expired in Dec and have myself booked at POFQ. However, now I am considering a change of resort to POR. Am I correct in assuming that I would lose my free dining if I did this switch?

I think I'll just hang on and see if free dining will be offered again during my time period (the last 2 weeks of August). Any news on that?

Okay.....I did get to take advantage of the free dining offer before it expired in Dec and have myself booked at POFQ. However, now I am considering a change of resort to POR. Am I correct in assuming that I would lose my free dining if I did this switch?

I think I'll just hang on and see if free dining will be offered again during my time period (the last 2 weeks of August). Any news on that?

I am wondering if they will reoffer free dining I forgot to book by the end of Dec.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter