• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

20,000 Leagues of Running (comments welcome)

Today was a rest day so I went ahead and took a nice long walk ... while pushing the lawn mower. You might call it mowing the lawn, but I call it part of my workout routine. Earbuds, music, gum, sunglasses, moisture wicking clothes. It's totally exercise!
So did you get an accurate step count? My DH is annoyed because his Garmin didn't track him properly while mowing the grass.

So did you get an accurate step count? My DH is annoyed because his Garmin didn't track him properly while mowing the grass.
It says ~4,000 which is about right considering it took 90+ minutes. I only tracked for my Fitbit, so it's probably off by a little bit.

I never get an accurate count when I'm pushing anything. When I push the stroller, I either use one hand or put my watch in my pocket. :P

My biggest thing is soreness. I felt great all day yesterday, but woke up sore today. I do a good stretch before and after each run (dynamic before, static after), but I'm still sore.

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) is pretty normal. You'll feel fine after the run, and then find your self feeling far more sore the next day.

Just for an example, I'm a fan of the Running Rogue podcast, and the host, Chris McClung, is a 2:45 marathoner (6:18 pace). He really emphasizes keeping your easy runs easy, and often talks about how he does his easy runs at a 9-10 min/mile pace, so THREE MINUTES per mile slower than marathon pace. I'd say that's on the extreme end of the easy running spectrum, but it does show that you can do most of your training at a really slow pace - whatever that looks like for you - and it will be effective for training and will help you stay healthy and injury-free.

Good advice here. According to Tom Schwartz, you can run as slow as 5k pace + 5 min/mile and still be reaping worthwhile benefits of easy running. So if you could run a 5k in 10:00 pace, then you could run as slow as 15:00 min/mile pace and it wouldn't be too slow. It's hard to go too easy, but it's easy to go too fast. :). When it comes to easy days, it should feel like you did absolutely nothing when you get back home. So easy you could be convinced you didn't even doing anything.

Run #6
I took an extra rest day yesterday. I had some muscle tightness through my core from doing something stupid (but fun) over the weekend. Took a nice easy run today (5.0 pace). Ran 13 minutes, walked 90 seconds, then ran another 12 minutes. Felt really good. I have another few days of potential running and then I have 5 days up in the mountains. I'd normally try to bring my sneakers and hit the trail at least once, but I think it's just going to be too hilly to actually want to run. I'm going to try a swim instead, depending on how cold the water is.

An interesting bonus I've always liked about running on the treadmill was the ability to watch tv/movies. Today I watched the first half hour of Zootopia (definitely a favorite). But here's my question, does running with tv/movies create too much of a dependence on visual stimulus for when you're really running outside in an event? I mean, we're all able to bring our music with us now thanks to smartphones, etc. but I'm not going to be able to run my November 5k with a tablet bobbing up and down in my hand. What do you all think?

Tomorrow - easy run
August Mileage = 11.0

For me, having something to watch on the treadmill keeps me from looking down at the display too much and takes the place of looking around at my surrounding when I’m running outside somewhere. I got a tripod stand for my tablet so I can position it directly in front of my face when I’m on the treadmill to keep me upright and facing forward.

An interesting bonus I've always liked about running on the treadmill was the ability to watch tv/movies. Today I watched the first half hour of Zootopia (definitely a favorite). But here's my question, does running with tv/movies create too much of a dependence on visual stimulus for when you're really running outside in an event? I mean, we're all able to bring our music with us now thanks to smartphones, etc. but I'm not going to be able to run my November 5k with a tablet bobbing up and down in my hand. What do you all think?

While I'm usually an advocate for train how you plan to race, running on the treadmill is different. I advocate that you do what will keep you consistent. When I run outside I have distractions in the form of everything going on around me when running. When on the treadmill, it would actually be the absence of distractions since without the TV/movies I'd have nothing to do but stare at the timer screen. There's something to be said about mental disassociation and it potentially making the perception of effort easier on a treadmill when you've got something to take your mind off the task at hand. As much as you can, try to run outside for training when possible (all the while knowing it's not always possible). But when the choice is treadmill vs no running, and watching TV/movie is necessary for me to run on a tread, then I'm grabbing the tablet or the clicker to find something to watch.

I have trained the last 2 years for Disney marathons almost exclusively on a treadmill for the last 6 weeks of training, and I almost always have a show of some sort on. There is never going to be a point where you go run multiple hours outside while looking at the same wall, so I don’t feel like you’re creating a dependence; races, especially Disney races have so much other stuff going on to distract you.

Agreed with @Herding_Cats. I actually find it mentally easier to run outside than on the treadmill, even if I'm watching something interesting. (Like the time I started watching the Natalia Grace documentary and didn't want to stop running, LOL.) Also, the Disney races are MUCH more visually stimulating than anything you can watch on a treadmill. Between characters, seeing everyone's costumes, movie clips/songs throughout the course, cast members cheering, other spectators, and park landmarks, it's a much different environment.

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I completely agree, but wanted to get an experienced take on it. I also feel a lot more engaged when I'm outside. I have to watch for trees and rocks and cars and whatever else. And I DEFINITELY have a tendency to clock watch if I dont have my tablet open. The miles for by SO slowly then.

@nancipants the way you describe the runDisney races sound so exciting! I have goosebumps just thinking about it. 2025 can't come soon enough!

Run #7
Took a relatively short run today. I woke up feeling fine after my run yesterday and so I wanted to keep going. I stuck to the same plan as yesterday, no interval sprints today. I ran 12 minutes, walked 1 minute, and then ran another 7 minutes. All of this at a comfortable pace of 5.0, no huffing and puffing. In total I ran about 1.5 miles, which is good for a non-run day.

And just in case you're wondering, I stopped Zootopia just before Judy and Wiley meet the Dom 🤣

Tomorrow - intervals! Run 12, walk 1, sprint 1, walk 2 (repeat x4)
August Mileage = 12.5

I feel like this is a mysterious hint to invite us to speculate what it was. Slip-n-slide down a spiral staircase? Belly surfing while being pulled by a speedboat? Riding a mule up Mt. Washington? :rotfl2:
I bruised my ribs as a teenager because the little neighbor kids had a slip-n-slide set up and wanted to come play with them

Run #8
I don't know about you all out there, but my week this week has been a mess. Monday I was pretty convinced it was Tuesday. Tuesday I thought we were repeating Monday. And now today on Thursday I think that it's Wednesday! Today is at least understandable. I did sprints today and that's obviously a Wednesday event. Not complaining, I'm glad tomorrow is still Friday!

Following the training plan, I basically did a repeat of last week. Ran 13 minutes at an easy, comfortable pace. Then started the sprints. 1 minute flat out, starting at a 6.0 and increasing to a 7.0, and then walking for 2 minutes. I felt my heart and breathing calmed a lot faster than 2 minutes, I probably could have done the next sprint after 60-90 seconds. But all I could hear was your anxious typing telling me not to overdo it. So thank you ❤️

While I'm usually an advocate for train how you plan to race, running on the treadmill is different. I advocate that you do what will keep you consistent.
This is totally my thing too! I just need something to get me on the treadmill and keep me there for the duration.
I have trained the last 2 years for Disney marathons almost exclusively on a treadmill for the last 6 weeks of training, and I almost always have a show of some sort on.
Very good to hear! I've never thought of training for a marathon via treadmill. I'll have to ask more about that ... when I'm ready 🤣
Also, the Disney races are MUCH more visually stimulating than anything you can watch on a treadmill. Between characters, seeing everyone's costumes, movie clips/songs throughout the course, cast members cheering, other spectators, and park landmarks, it's a much different environment.
Now this has me jazzed! I can already picture the atmosphere :-)

Tomorrow - easy run (hear that future self, I said easy run!)
August Mileage - 14.5

This is totally my thing too! I just need something to get me on the treadmill and keep me there for the duration.
Pick a series to stream that you only allow yourself to watch on the treadmill, preferably something you’ve really been looking forward to. Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett got me through winter treadmill training in 2022 (my first winter of running, I wasn’t confident on the roads. I was better for my second winter and did everything I could to avoid the treadmill) Movie musicals are also a favorite choice for me.

Ugh. I woke up this morning with some pain near my injury. I'm going to take a 10 day break (maybe 14) and go back to my PT exercises, see if that clears it all up. I know I didn't hurt it while running. It was either the rowing machine last week or over the weekend in the dumb river.

This is so frustrating! I just want to run 😞 The 5k race I'm planning for isn't until the middle of November, so I know I have lots of time, but still!! Ugh. I'm going to try and do the right thing. Let my body heal and then come back fresh in a few weeks and start again. If the pain is still there, then it's back to the doctor. Grrr.

Any ideas for low impact ways to continue training with a lower body sprain? I usually take a 20-30 minute walk every day where my heart rate almost doubles from resting (110 to 120).

Since you have access to a treadmill, incline walking can be good, if your injury will tolerate it. It's a way to get the HR way up without increasing the pace.

Cycling or swimming are typically lower-impact aerobic exercises, but I don't know if either would bother your injury. Besides "normal" swimming, there is aqua-jogging.

Since you have access to a treadmill, incline walking can be good, if your injury will tolerate it. It's a way to get the HR way up without increasing the pace.

Cycling or swimming are typically lower-impact aerobic exercises, but I don't know if either would bother your injury. Besides "normal" swimming, there is aqua-jogging.
I took your advice and tried some swimming yesterday. That definitely got my heart rate up. After a few minutes slogging through the water I was feeling it. I'm definitely excited to get back into my running shoes. With a couple of breaks I managed to get 20 minutes in. I don't think it was at quite the same level as my running, but the FitBit didn't capture the swim very well (no heart rate for example). I'm thinking of upgrading for Black Friday (favorite day of the year!).

Hoping to repeat today, but we'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter