1st timer

Beauties n the Beast

Mouseketeer
So we are DW usuals, and decided to look into going to DL this year (August) ... I have been just researching now and have started building my spreadsheet to compare my options but to be honest I am just a little confused/overwhelmed - sorry for repeating any of the usual questions ! I have read through some posts but want to make sure I'm on the right track. I have checked thru Costco travel and have seen some decent prices for "good neighbor" hotels, and the price includes 1 premium dining meal per person. We wuld be fine with a "moderate" and I am favoring the Fairfield or Courtyard. i also like the HoJo but that isn't on costco. Any hotels that are recommended (or not)? I have priced it with a 3 day hopper pass and hoping to check out the LA sights 1 day and a beach 1 day. So with that said, should I add a rental car?
FastPass - Reading that you obtain them same day at the participating rides, and not similar to DW where you can reserve 60 days out. I have read about this Maxpass but not sure if worth the $$ for our group (me, and kids - 21, 17 and 1)
Any other time saving / money saving tips for this first time trip?

FastPass - Reading that you obtain them same day at the participating rides, and not similar to DW where you can reserve 60 days out. I have read about this Maxpass but not sure if worth the $$ for our group (me, and kids - 21, 17 and 1)
If you have MaxPass, you don't have to go to the rides to get the FP - that's if you don't have MaxPass. With MP you get your FP through your phone and you can be anywhere as long as you've already entered one of the parks that day. It is same day though.

MP saves you time in a couple of ways. The big way is that you don't have to physically criss-cross the park to pick up the FP and then return later to use it. The walkways in DL are narrower than what you're used to at WDW, so traversing the park might take longer than you expect, especially if the 1yo is in a stroller. If you don't get MP, you may want to recruit one of your older kids to be the FP runner because they will be able to weave through the crowds more easily than you will as a group, but you're still going to lose time waiting for them. The other way it saves you time is that the maximum waiting period between FP is shorter, so you can get more FP throughout the day. It also includes photos if that's something you're interested in. I think it's worth it for the convenience of keeping your group together and not having to constantly plan and coordinate splitting up and meeting back up (if you use a runner).

Something else to consider is that you don't necessarily have to get MP for everyone since you have the baby. Most of the rides that offer FP are ones that a 1yo cannot ride, so you'll have to use rider swap. So say for example that you only buy MP for one ticket. You use MP to get one FP for Space Mountain. The baby can't ride, so you use the one FP for one person to ride and the other two people get a rider swap. They don't check whose ticket it is when you use the FP, so you could take turns being the person who rides alone. There are a few FP rides that the baby can go on, but for those you can just use paper FP for free since there are only a few.

You can purchase MP one day at a time after you get to the parks, so you can try it for a day and see how you like it, or you can try going without it and if you hate running back and forth to the kiosks you can add it at that point from the app.

You will most likely need a rental car for your LA sight seeing day and your beach day. There are rental car places in DTD and nearby around the DL resort at various hotels and you can often find a decent deal to rent just for a day.

Don't waste your time renting a car for the entire time you're there unless it's easier to do that compared to airport transfers to/from the airport for the 5 of you. Remember - there's no Magical Express bus for free from local airports to Disneyland.

Re: Costco Disneyland packages:
Just do a little comparison shopping and compare what the total would be if you booked all of those things separately on your own. For example, you can often get a better hotel deal if you book directly with the hotel instead of through a travel company. If you're a AAA member, most of the hotels offer AAA member discounts. Most of the local hotels charge for parking a car and they will require you to move your car out of their lot by a certain time on check out day, so just be aware of that in case you're going to the parks on hotel check out day.

Recommended hotels:
Depends on what your hotel needs are. Do your older children each need their own bed? Does the baby need to be in a separate bedroom from everyone else? Do you want/need a place with a free breakfast? Do you want to stay within walking distance or will you be using the ART shuttle or rental car or Uber to get to/from the parks each day? Do you want/need to stay somewhere w/in walking distance so the baby can more easily take a nap?

Fast Pass:
FP @ DL operates like it used to at WDW before Magic Bands. Here's the Reader's Digest version of it. The following applies to non-Max Pass FP users:
  1. Look at FP return time on Disneyland app on your smart phone. Or walk up to the ride and look at the time frame on the sign at the ride.
  2. Insert your ticket into the machine.
  3. FP machine spits back out a FP return reminder card/ticket. This is NOT your actual FP. Your park ticket contains the FP. The paper that the machine spits out is just a reminder of when to come back.
  4. Do something else until your FP return window begins. Let's say at 8:30 am, you get a FP for Star Tours. It tells you that your return window is 9:30-10:30 am.
  5. At 9:30 am, you can now go to ANOTHER FP attraction to get ANOTHER FP. You can do this BEFORE you go on Star Tours OR you can go on Star Tours and THEN get FP #2. It's your choice.
  6. FP #2 is for Space Mountain. It tells you to come back between 11am-12pm. So you go ride on Star Tours and some other rides until 11 am.
  7. At 11 am, now go to FP ride #3 and get FP #3. Let's say it's Splash Mtn. Return window for that is 12:30-1:30 pm.
  8. Now walk to Space Mountain and ride that using FP #2.
  9. Do other stuff until 12:30 pm.
  10. 12:30 pm - go to FP ride #4. Let's say it's Indiana Jones. Get FP #4 for IJ. Return window says 3:30-4:30 pm.
  11. Now go to Splash Mtn and use FP #3 to ride it.
  12. Do something else until 3:30 pm, when you can use your IJ FP.
  13. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Max Pass:
You do not have to pay for Max Pass for everyone. But whoever has Max Pass on their ticket has to use the Disneyland app on a smart phone in order to get their FPs. The only other main difference is that you do not have to physically walk up to the FP attraction and insert your park ticket in order to get a FP. You do it online on the smart phone app.

In both of the above scenarios, you CANNOT RESERVE ANY FP AT DL OR DCA UNTIL YOU HAVE USED YOUR TICKET TO ENTER THE PARK THAT DAY. In other words, you cannot reserve/book FP rides at all ahead of time. Not 60 days prior. Not 30 days prior. not 1 day before.

Recommended hotels:
Depends on what your hotel needs are. Do your older children each need their own bed? Does the baby need to be in a separate bedroom from everyone else? Do you want/need a place with a free breakfast? Do you want to stay within walking distance or will you be using the ART shuttle or rental car or Uber to get to/from the parks each day? Do you want/need to stay somewhere w/in walking distance so the baby can more easily take a nap?

Thank you for all the info! I think we just need a basic hotel.... the 2 beds/room type are perfect. Would love one with free breakfast (but not a must have) and walking distance to the gate.

Thank you for all the info! I think we just need a basic hotel.... the 2 beds/room type are perfect. Would love one with free breakfast (but not a must have) and walking distance to the gate.
The challenge for you is that there are a dozen or so hotels that fit this criteria.

I have no dog in this fight but we usually just go to the absolute closest BWPPI. Believe it or not, you would think that distance is something that cannot be argued or refuted. But this is a Disney forum which means, well, people can argue about distance LOL. :crazy2:

BWPPI is fine for your criteria and we go there whenever possible. If you want to be anal - and since you are here you probably do - like the rest of us - check out this map below. And if you do not spend at least 30 hours researching this map to choose a hotel you cannot call yourself a true Disney fan. :teacher:

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=33.809212&lon=-117.918813&z=19&m=b

:wizard:

When in August were you thinking of visiting? Earlier in the month is better because the lower APs will still be blocked, hours will still be long, entertainment schedules will still be in full swing, etc. HM goes down for the Halloween overlay sometime around the third week of the month. The annual CHOC Walk (a fundraising event) is on Aug. 26th, so that day/weekend will be crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter