1st Solo in Jan or Feb 2019

RonnieTN

Earning My Ears
I found this site while I was just looking for ideas about traveling solo. I had no idea so many people did it. I'm looking at taking my 1st solo in January or February, whenever the crowds are the lowest. Haven't been since 2007. My daughter's husband is in the Air Force & just got deployed, so I'm taking her 10/22-29. While planning the trip, watching vids & listening to podcasts, it got me thinking about doing a solo. I'm looking at renting DVC points for the 1st time. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, it's nice to know I'm not strange for wanting to take a solo trip. Either that, or I've found a place where a bunch of weirdos hang out...

My only advice is to keep an eye on and avoid Marathon Weekend and Princess Weekend. Personally I avoid weekends all together as they're always busier. Keep an eye on the weather forecast before leaving and bring heavy clothes as they can have freak freezes during that time of year. It really clears out the crowds but can be uncomfortable if you're not used to that kind of weather.

Thanks for the advice. Seems weird to only contemplate cold weather gear that time of year. But I'll keep my eyes on the weather forecast.

I found this site while I was just looking for ideas about traveling solo. I had no idea so many people did it. I'm looking at taking my 1st solo in January or February, whenever the crowds are the lowest. Haven't been since 2007. My daughter's husband is in the Air Force & just got deployed, so I'm taking her 10/22-29. While planning the trip, watching vids & listening to podcasts, it got me thinking about doing a solo. I'm looking at renting DVC points for the 1st time. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, it's nice to know I'm not strange for wanting to take a solo trip. Either that, or I've found a place where a bunch of weirdos hang out...

Ronnie,
I was at the Boardwalk and Saratoga on two separate weekends last January. One weeeknd was cold (by Florida standards) and the other was warm.
I managed to wear shorts during the cool spell, while locals were wearing their parkas! Haha.
Crewsline

That's good to know. I'm still not sure which month I'll go but I'll make sure to bring my shorts. Gotta love Florida in the winter...

I've gone 4 times around the first full week of February and had good luck with crowds and weather. Had a couple of freezing cold mornings in 2012, and a couple of (not cold) days that dripped rain off and on another year, but mostly beautiful dry days in the 70s. I have a lightweight hoodie jacket I take with me and that's generally been plenty.

Early Feb you will see cheerleaders and international tour groups, but they won't be staying DVC. If I see a big tour group in the parks, I'll go another way, but I've never really had an issue with them.

If you make your plans right - Marathon weekend is fine. Yes - I had one LONG wait for the bus in the morning one day - but otherwise - I don't think it makes much difference. I've been in both January and February - slightly more likely it will be cold in January - but I don't think the weather between the two months is different until you get to the last week of February. For either month - the weather can easily vary by 40 degrees in one week with a 30 degree variation in one day not unheard of.

I've rented points for a solo stay in a DVC studio. I recommend it for longer trips if you plan to eat in your room more or if you plan to spend time sitting on the balcony savoring your coffee or a glass of wine. The microwave is nice - but just that feature doesn't warrant me paying more for the studio vs. staying at a value. You can get better rates on the rent/trade board than through one of the brokers - but your dates need to be more flexible to find a deal. The DVC resorts also have nicer pools - but that time of year - you have to judge if you think you will even go to the pool.

Lots of us - even those of us with plenty of family and friends - also love solo travel! It's not weird!

I've gone 4 times around the first full week of February and had good luck with crowds and weather. Had a couple of freezing cold mornings in 2012, and a couple of (not cold) days that dripped rain off and on another year, but mostly beautiful dry days in the 70s. I have a lightweight hoodie jacket I take with me and that's generally been plenty.

Early Feb you will see cheerleaders and international tour groups, but they won't be staying DVC. If I see a big tour group in the parks, I'll go another way, but I've never really had an issue with them.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely take a light jacket with me.

I just booked my first solo trip for Jan 4-7 (Fri-Mon). I booked based on the cheapest airfare that I could find over a long weekend. I don't really look at crowd calendars anymore. Sometimes they can be way off. I just book based on what time I have available and the best price I can find. With a good touring plan you will have a great trip no matter the crowds.

I'm leaving my husband and 2 little kids home for this trip. Most of my friends and family say, "good for you!" but I'm pretty sure they're secretly thinking, "what the heck is wrong with her" LOL. I just want to see the things I want to see, when I want to see them and at my own pace! I can't wait!

I'll be soloing, my first time, Jan 13-18 and staying at Boardwalk and Saratoga Springs. I was there in January of 2017, a nice time to go, and while it was mostly nice their were a few times it felt colder then southern Minnesota. Definitely bring at least a sweatshirt and maybe even some light gloves for those times.

My kids are grown and I'm single so it's not always easy to find someone to go with because of our jobs, vacation times, etc. But I don't let that stop me from enjoying my Disney.
I went the last week in January into February this year and rented DVC points from David's. Stayed at the beautiful Poly in a studio. I'm returning in a few weeks solo and staying at POP, a favorite of mine. This will be my 5th solo.
The weather fluctuated from warm enough for shorts on one day but mostly chilly to sometimes very chilly at night.
Don't worry about what other people think and have fun weirdo solo traveler ;)

I'm going First week of Feb. My third Jan/Feb trip - first solo. Wonderful time to go!

See you there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter