17 nights of nom nom noms - April 2013 Hannikins eats Orlando

Im in. Great reviews so far. Im excited to see whether you actually got to all of those places. Also very interested in the I drive places since we might be offsite for at least part of our trip.

IMG_3089_zps9bb3151b.jpg

This was very different from what I was expecting. Since I knew this was a premixed 'slushie' drink I had wrongly assumed it would be rather tame, I was wrong! It packs a very big punch and was a lot more alcoholic than I was expecting! the lemon flavour is very zesty and fresh but doesn't become overwhelming.

It was also larger than I expected, it looks small but it was piled high and took an age to drink, I think I'd be better with a straw next time!

I would definitely grab one of these again next time, it was yummy and well worth the price of $9.34 that we paid

Sanaa - Kidani Village - Dinner

We were both really looking forward to this meal and I'd booked an early dinner reservation so we might get the chance to see some animals, we weren't disappointed!

DSCF1761_zps4ca741d8.jpg

As we were on the dining plan we were entitled to a non alcoholic beverage each. This included the speciality drinks so we ordered one of each to try

Lemonade with wildberry foam
IMG_3074_zps5dc841cb.jpg

The lemonade was the standard you find throughout the resorts so the 'speciality' was the foam (foam seems to be a fad throughout the parks at the moment!). I'm unsure what 'wildberry' is but the texture was odd and not for us.

Mango Lassi
IMG_3075_zpscb2df99a.jpg

This was amazing! It wasn't the best drink to chose here since you often need a drink you can 'glug' with spicy food but it was a nice change. It's very thick like a smoothie but the yoghurt gives it a creamy taste as well. YUM!

We started the meal with the bread service. We had one of each bread and a selection of sauces

The breads were: Traditional Naan, Garlic Ginger Naan, Spiced Naan, Onion Kulcha and Pappadam.

IMG_3079_zps9aa9e4e3.jpg

For the dips we chose: Cucumber Raita, Mango Chutney, Coconut Chutney, Garlic Pickle & Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus

IMG_3078_zps4c53fb73.jpg

The Naan breads were very soft and flavourful, I just wish our server had explained which was which as they all looked the same. The best dips were the Cucumber Raita and the two chutneys. The hummus lacked any flavour and the garlic pickle was not pleasant.

Knowing that the bread service would be very filling we passed on the apps and moved straight to the entrees

Today's Sustainable Fish - with shrimp and scallops served with seasonal vegetables in a light curry broth.

IMG_3080_zps14f133f1.jpg

Today's fish was grouper, which proved to be a meaty white fish very similar to haddock. It was served on a bed of beautiful vegetables which were crispy and sweet, I especially loved the sugarsnap peas and juicy tomatoes.

The broth wasn't overly spicy, it just had a very light kick to it which went well with the fish.

The downfall of the dish were the scallops, they were chewy and very overcooked. I should have sent it back but the rest of the dish was so lovely I didn't want to give up my plate!

I can't comment on the shrimp as I don't eat them (I forgot to exclude them from my order!)

Spicy Durban Chicken & Shrimp with Green Curry Sauce served with Basmati rice
IMG_3081_zpse753fe69.jpg

The chicken part of the dish was the best part, it wasn't very spicy by my standards but it was still pleasant. The green curry on the other hand was awful. I tried the sauce and wasn't keen, the texture was 'lumpy'. Adam also said the shrimp had a strange taste (he suffered a bad stomach for a few days after this meal, we are blaming the shrimp!). It's very difficult to eat in the various pots so I'd recommend pouring them out on the plate as soon as you have room!

We probably would have passed on dessert if it wasn't for the dining plan but since they were included and I wanted to try the chai cream we gave it a good try!

Dessert Trio - Chocolate Cake, Tropical Fruit Kulfi, and Chai Cream

IMG_3083_zps50984c56.jpg

As you can see I made a slight change :P

The chai cream was everything I had hoped, Spicy warmth with creamy goodness. I could have eaten this all day :D

The kulfi was not forgotten! It was like eating frozen Lassi. I could have eaten the larger version of this quite happily!

Warm Rice Pudding served with Mango, Pistachio Tuile,
and Cinnamon Cream

IMG_3082_zps284cf9fb.jpg

This used to be served with ice cream but now it comes with cream.

I don't know what to say about this other than it was awful :(

The rice was dry and even with the cream poured over it it wasn't enough, we managed a few spoonfuls and the tuile and left the rest, not good!

SCORING
Atmosphere - 6/10 - VERY cold. I was warm after a day in the parks but I sat shivering for the whole meal. I couldn't wait to leave

Quality - 7/10 - A little hit and miss, some things like the fish and chai cream were amazing while other like the scallops and green curry with shrimp were awful

Presentation - 10/10 - Everything looked amazing even if the taste was hit and miss on some

Service - 8/10 - Our server was helpful and efficient even if her recommendation was a miss for us

Overall Experience 7/10 - Although I think we would return if we had a spare day I don't think it would be top of our list, I wish we'd gone with Boma instead looking back. I am glad we did it the once though

BEST DISH
The Chai Cream!

COST
The bill came to $85.88 including tax, not including tip.

Butterfinger Cupcake @ Starring Rolls, HS
IMG_3099_zpsc869e31a.jpg

This is a BEAST of a cupcake, one shared between two is more than enough!

I had thought the top section would be soft to cut into but it's covered in a hard layer of chocolate so don't try!

If the cake, butterfinger and butter cream wasn't enough it's then filled with chocolate goo as well! This has to be the most sickly thing we had all holiday (and we had butterbeer!), and guess what? WE LOVED IT, every last sweet sickly bit of it!

I think it's a one time thing though, now it's 'done' I think the peanut butter one is next on the list!

Loving your reviews:)
We are going for 14 nights from the UK for the first time in Oct we have the QS plan so reading your reviews is helping me plan! I am making a list of all the best places in each park and I have made one character brekkie res as well. Can you recommend one table service restaurant I should book to pay OOP for one special dinner whilst we are there? I will be travelling with DD 14 and DS 8. :)

Loving your reviews:)
We are going for 14 nights from the UK for the first time in Oct we have the QS plan so reading your reviews is helping me plan! I am making a list of all the best places in each park and I have made one character brekkie res as well. Can you recommend one table service restaurant I should book to pay OOP for one special dinner whilst we are there? I will be travelling with DD 14 and DS 8. :)

ooo that's a hard one! I guess be our guest would be special for your DD but for family fun I think Ohana is great for everyone!

Via Napoli - Italy Pavilion - Epcot

We arrived here on a saturday at 7pm and thankfully we had a reservation. The standby queue was huge!

IMG_3114_zpsb7d6d1bf.jpg

We had originally planned to try the calamari but Adam wasn't feeling to well today so instead we move straight to Entree's

I'd already looked over the menu so had a pretty good idea of what to expect. We ordered a large pepperoni pizza to share.

It was HUGE

IMG_3117_zps01d342a2.jpg

It may look like the topping is a little sparse but trust me, it was plenty!

The base was very thin and crispy, as it should be, and the cheese and tomato sauce delivered just the right amount of creamy and tangy to the mix. This pizza ranks very high in our "Pizza Chart" (yes we really have one, don't judge). It came in second as it wasn't quite as wonderful as our number one pizza from lombardi's. We managed just over half, and the rest came back to the room with us.

Having passed on the apps I was more than ready for dessert. I knew already that we had to try the Zeppole since everyone had said such wonderful things about them. but no... they had RUN OUT! I know! They only do 6 desserts and 3 of those are icecream, how can they be ‘out’ of something so crucial at 8pm?!?!

Disgusted by the lack of Zeppole we decided against the other desserts and got the bill.

SCORING
Atmosphere - 7/10 - Nice but loud! We were sat by the window at the front and that was noisy. I think nearer the kitchen was even worse!

Quality - 10/10 - What we had was amazing, I just wish there was more of it!

Presentation - 10/10 - Couldn't fault it, but then how many ways are there to present a piazza!

Service - 5/10 - Poor, we found our server rather dismissive throughout. He also almost screwed up my dining credits which I was not to pleased about :nonono:

Overall Experience 8/10 - Not a memorable dining experience but I think we would brave the average service and loud dining room to sample than yummy pizza again!

BEST DISH
THE ONLY DISh - The Pizza :D

COST
The bill came to $60 including tax & tip

Salted Caramel - Karamell-Kuche - German Pavilion - Epcot
A late addition to my list, I'd seen these on various reports but never really considered it a "must do".

IMG_3122_zps07a1b529.jpg

It got a little squished on the way home! The caramel itself was soft and chewy and a little bit saltier than I expected, even without the salt on top I was surprised by this. It looks like an overgrown chocolate but in fact it's the perfect size for a snack, any bigger and I think it would be a little too much.

Thanks for the Flame Tree review. I had a giggle over your comparison of the baked beans to Heinz canned beans. After watching one too many episodes of East Enders I just had to try Heinz beans on toast. They were interesting. :rotfl:

Salted Caramel - Karamell-Kuche - German Pavilion - Epcot
A late addition to my list, I'd seen these on various reports but never really considered it a "must do".

It got a little squished on the way home! The caramel itself was soft and chewy and a little bit saltier than I expected, even without the salt on top I was surprised by this. It looks like an overgrown chocolate but in fact it's the perfect size for a snack, any bigger and I think it would be a little too much.

I'm joining in too...Always interested in what others think of the food! :thumbsup2

I tried one of these last week and you are 100% correct in thinking they are the perfect snack size, and very yummy!!

Caramel Pecan Cluster @ Karamell-Küche, German Pavilion, Epcot

IMG_3121_zps7af5f5cf.jpg

(I'd been 'nibbling' before the photo, there were more nuts on the edge!)

This was the main reason for our visit to Karamell Kuche so after the brief distraction of the salted caramel I finally got my hands on one of these!

It was as good as I was expecting, lots of nuts, salty caramel and a big blob of chocolate on top. It was very messy to eat, not really one to share. It was also large! I ended up eating it over several days as it was far to sweet just to eat in one go.

Gourmet Hotdogs - Various

There were various places I knew we could get a gourmet hotdog but one day while leaving the beauty and the beast show at HS, stomachs rumbling there really was only one option!

FairFax Fare!

I opted for the Pulled pork with coleslaw gourmet hotdog served with chips

IMG_3110_zps5d585d39.jpg

MY first thought was how huge it was, my second thought was how on earth I was going to eat it!

Putting all lady like table manners aside I went for "stuff it in"

IMG_3113_zps739c349a.jpg

This was certainly a messy method but it worked wonders! The hotdog itself was very meaty and the bread was firm rather than fluffy, this was probably a good thing since the pulled pork would likely was caused the bread to go soggy otherwise.

There was a good mix of pulled pork and coleslaw on top and although I was worried it wouldn't mix well with the texture of the hotdog it was a very enjoyable meal, although I only managed 2 thirds of it in the end.

It was also a good use of a QS credit since you also got the chips, dessert and a BUCKET of drink. The dessert selection were either the standard chocolate cake or carrot cake but since you should try those at least once this is the place to do it!

While I was enjoying my Hotdog Adam was 'enjoying' the pulled pork sandwich

IMG_3108_zps8952d1e8.jpg

We both thought this was a very poor choice at this location. The sandwich wasn't overflowing with filling like my hotdog and the bread itself didn't taste very fresh. It comes with a side, either coleslaw or beans but it didn't seem 'enough' when alongside mine. I think it either needed fries or chips, I know at other locations the pulled pork sandwich comes with fries, but not here. Overall a disappointing choice

Via Napoli - Italy Pavilion - Epcot

We arrived here on a saturday at 7pm and thankfully we had a reservation. The standby queue was huge!

IMG_3114_zpsb7d6d1bf.jpg

We had originally planned to try the calamari but Adam wasn't feeling to well today so instead we move straight to Entree's

I'd already looked over the menu so had a pretty good idea of what to expect. We ordered a large pepperoni pizza to share.

It was HUGE

IMG_3117_zps01d342a2.jpg

It may look like the topping is a little sparse but trust me, it was plenty!

The base was very thin and crispy, as it should be, and the cheese and tomato sauce delivered just the right amount of creamy and tangy to the mix. This pizza ranks very high in our "Pizza Chart" (yes we really have one, don't judge). It came in second as it wasn't quite as wonderful as our number one pizza from lombardi's. We managed just over half, and the rest came back to the room with us.

Having passed on the apps I was more than ready for dessert. I knew already that we had to try the Zeppole since everyone had said such wonderful things about them. but no... they had RUN OUT! I know! They only do 6 desserts and 3 of those are icecream, how can they be ‘out’ of something so crucial at 8pm?!?!

Disgusted by the lack of Zeppole we decided against the other desserts and got the bill.

SCORING
Atmosphere - 7/10 - Nice but loud! We were sat by the window at the front and that was noisy. I think nearer the kitchen was even worse!

Quality - 10/10 - What we had was amazing, I just wish there was more of it!

Presentation - 10/10 - Couldn't fault it, but then how many ways are there to present a piazza!

Service - 5/10 - Poor, we found our server rather dismissive throughout. He also almost screwed up my dining credits which I was not to pleased about :nonono:

Overall Experience 8/10 - Not a memorable dining experience but I think we would brave the average service and loud dining room to sample than yummy pizza again!

BEST DISH
THE ONLY DISh - The Pizza :D

COST
The bill came to $60 including tax & tip

Love the pizza here. When you go back try the calamari, it's very good

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter