145 Middle Schoolers: Wicked Awesome or Epic Fail???DeParting-Such Sweet Sorrow p. 76

I see the gangs all (mostly) here. I've got a ton of stuff to do today plus be at work by 4:30. Do NOT want to skim over this stuff so I'll be back later to dig in. Thanks for getting this started Dee. And welcome home!

Glad to see you here, Mike. You have been with this story since the beginning.

I'm in....anxiously awaiting! Love the title and the chapter titles!

Thanks! I enjoy trying to think of fun titles. I realize I need to synchronize the number of teens- I have 140 in one place and 145 in another. I need to tally up the list of kids on the trip.

Count me IN!!!!

This TR looks to be a good time :cool1:

I'm so happy to have you joining in our adventures.

Phew! Found my way over from the YC&BC FAQ; my glorified scientific calculator finally loaded the last page -- all caught up and subbing!

Can't wait... popcorn:: Also, 145 middle school kids ensures your sainthood. :angel:

Oh, and Ting! YES! :thumbsup2:drinking1

Well, there may be a few incidents tarnishing my halo.

Isn't Ting the greatest drink ever?!? Whenever we go someplace tropical, I try to find some. Mark and I went to St. John when I was pregnant with Nate. We brought back a six pack (in the days when liquids were permissible carryon items). I rationed myself to one bottle each month, and saved the final one for the hospital. I drank it about an hour after Nate was born.

Yay! You're back! 140 teenagers?!?!?! :scared1: Is this new Disney movie "Brave" the story of your trip? :lmao:

Anyway, you know I'm in, can't wait for the next update.

P.S. I'm glad to see you lived through a non-planning trip, it sets a good example for the rest of us that "it can be done!"

Brave! I love it! We did see a few Merida meet & greets.

Know what's worse than a non-planned trip? Trying to decide what to do with input from 20 people with different thrill thresholds and stamina.

Dee, Welcome back! I'm along for the ride and looking forward to it!

Thanks! I promise some ups and downs, sort of like Tower of Terror.

OMG I cannot wait to hear all about this one!!!!

Glad you found us!

Dee, looking forward to this report. Sure you weren't in marketing because you are the MASTER of tease. Bring it on!

Thanks! Nope, no marketing background. I was a math geek.

Me too! Are you really going to make us wait until tomorrow for the next installment?

Sorry! I don't think two installments in two days is such a bad pace. Need to put the update together.

My son Nate in his last year of middle school.

scan0001.jpg

In our school district, the 8th grade class trip is a 5 day/4 night trip to Disney World for the Y.E.S program.

Pretty awesome, huh?

I know, right !

OK, every year there is an outcry from skeptical parents who don’t think a trip to Disney is an appropriate or educational class trip. In the past, the class has gone on more traditional (and less expensive) trips to Washington DC or NYC. But our administration and the teachers who chaperone feel that Disney is a very controlled environment so it is a much easier place to keep the students safe. Transportation is easy. Food is easy. We hire security guards to patrol the halls of the resort at night. Parents WANT to chaperone. I’m so in!

Here’s a link that describes everything about Disney’s Youth Education Series program:

http://www.disneyyouth.com/youth-education-series/

A quick summary explains that the program gives students real-world learning experiences at Disney Theme Parks and provides newfound insights, skills and knowledge to motivate and inspire students. There are 3 hour classes every morning and then the students get to “apply” their newfound knowledge by enjoying attractions in the theme parks.

At EPCOT, the classes include Ocean Discoveries, Dynamics of Technology and Everyday Chemistry.

MK has Energy and Waves and the World of Physics.

Animal Kingdom includes Wild by Nature and Team Up for Wildlife.

At Hollywood Studios, there is a new program called The Science of Disney Imagineering

Our school usually does the Physics program every year: Hands on activities showcasing properties of force, motion and gravity.

AT SPACE MOUNTAIN!!!

IMG_5889.jpg

*********************************************************************************

IMG_5776.jpg

Nate is a very smart kid, but he doesn’t “apply himself”. He has always done the minimum amount of work necessary, but because he is bright, he has done pretty well in school.

7th Grade was a tough year for all of us. Nate wasn’t concerned with his grades, the work was a lot tougher than he had experienced before and I learned that you can’t shake caring into a kid.

This year was off to a much better start. He was actually trying in school. Doing his homework with a minimum of nagging. So when his first quarter report card came, I was not afraid.

“I did pretty well on my report card”

“All A’s and B’s”

“Oh, I got a “4” in effort in Life Skills so I’m on Probation for the Disney trip”

Report Cards came out on day I had finally created and added the monorail ticker to my DIS signature!

Life Skills is the name for the Home Economics class- cooking, sewing, laundry, etc. After receiving the report card, I talked to the teacher and learned that Nate had not handed in a few homework assignments and he really hadn’t been participating in class.

Students are on probation for the trip if they receive a 4 (the lowest grade) or two 3s in effort or conduct in a single term. If the student receives a subsequent 4 or two 3s in any other term, they are ineligible for the Disney trip. Bye Bye Castle. Bye Bye Deposit. Hello Being Grounded until 2015.

I sweated bullets as I waited for the next two report cards. Nate had one more session of Life Skills.

Well, as you probably can figure out by the fact that I have already returned from the trip, Nate did not lose his eligibility. And he received 1’s in both effort and conduct in Life Skills during the next term!

Here is Nate’s sewing project for Life Skills in the second term. Note the brilliant choice of complementary fabrics on the pillowcase.

IMG_7992.jpg

Next Up: Arrival Day!!!

Hi Dee! This is going to be a good one, so I am subscribed! And I will have you know this is the FIRST TR I have subscribed to that is a NON Beach Club. LOL...

Ahhh, Life Skills, aka Home Economics back in my day!! At least Nate didn't have to make the ole' cooking apron!!! :rotfl2: I'm thinking either he was letting his true feeling out for how he felt about the class through his choice of fabric or he was making both a Mother's and Father's Day present for you both!

:surfweb: This was me this morning. First stop BC thread and then I saw you had already updated so I rushed right over!

Life Skills has not changed much has it? Though I made the ever helpful locker keeper in a bright yellow! :scared1: I think the Disney trip is an amazing idea and I am so glad your district supports it. Good job to Nate and getting things turned around :banana::banana::banana:

Nothing like a Disney trip reinforcer to help a student "straighten out and fly right" as my daddy used to say. You are a good writer and I am looking forward to reading your trip report. Penny:goodvibes

Dee - I love the pillow case....so creative. Way to go Nate!

And wow you have a fun school district....Disney for an educational experience, love it. Actually the classes sound great. My DS16 would actually enjoy this, especially the physics.

Great update.

Always fun finding the balance between excessive nagging and good parenting. Nice to see you used the right approach and he moved the 4 to a 1. Clearly he stepped up his game. Good work Nate!

Love the pillow case. I have a degree in Human Ecology (aka Home Ec) and I think my son avoids all sewing related exercises just to bug me. He's willing to do some work in the kitchen and took high school Food and Nutrition, but there is nothing I can do to get him near the sewing machine. But if he did, he'd be all over that camo fabric.

Can't wait to hear about the different sessions you attended.

:welcome: everyone!!!

Hi Dee! This is going to be a good one, so I am subscribed! And I will have you know this is the FIRST TR I have subscribed to that is a NON Beach Club. LOL...

Thanks! I am honored that you will be following a report which features a resort other than our beloved Beach Club. :goodvibes

Ahhh, Life Skills, aka Home Economics back in my day!! At least Nate didn't have to make the ole' cooking apron!!! :rotfl2: I'm thinking either he was letting his true feeling out for how he felt about the class through his choice of fabric or he was making both a Mother's and Father's Day present for you both!

:surfweb: This was me this morning. First stop BC thread and then I saw you had already updated so I rushed right over!

I'm glad to be part of your morning routine!

Yup, I think the choice of fabric was a "statement"

I have to share a comment a friend made "It looks like it should be used in the new "Bear Grylls Baby Adventures" program.

Life Skills has not changed much has it? Though I made the ever helpful locker keeper in a bright yellow! :scared1: I think the Disney trip is an amazing idea and I am so glad your district supports it. Good job to Nate and getting things turned around :banana::banana::banana:

My project was a yellow sundress, oh so many years ago.

We get a fair amount of flak, from people at other schools and even parents at our school, about the value of this trip. But seeing what went on this past week to coordinate the trip, keep it safe for the students and offer enrichment opportunities, I am definitely in a position to defend the choice of location.

Nothing like a Disney trip reinforcer to help a student "straighten out and fly right" as my daddy used to say. You are a good writer and I am looking forward to reading your trip report. Penny:goodvibes

I appreciate your kind comments! Thanks for joining in.

The 8th grade teachers said the trip (or the threat of losing the privilege to go) was a definite motivator during the year for students.

Dee - I love the pillow case....so creative. Way to go Nate!

And wow you have a fun school district....Disney for an educational experience, love it. Actually the classes sound great. My DS16 would actually enjoy this, especially the physics.

My son would have loved the physics class, too. This year the school booked two programs they haven't done before:

Energy and Waves at MK and The Art of Imagineering at HS (brand new class)

Great update.

Always fun finding the balance between excessive nagging and good parenting. Nice to see you used the right approach and he moved the 4 to a 1. Clearly he stepped up his game. Good work Nate!

Love the pillow case. I have a degree in Human Ecology (aka Home Ec) and I think my son avoids all sewing related exercises just to bug me. He's willing to do some work in the kitchen and took high school Food and Nutrition, but there is nothing I can do to get him near the sewing machine. But if he did, he'd be all over that camo fabric.

Can't wait to hear about the different sessions you attended.

I have not touched a sewing machine since 8th grade Home Ec, but every so often I get the hankering to take a sewing class. It is such a useful skill!!!

Most awesome pillowcase EVER!!! :)

The pillowcase and too many grey hairs to count will be the legacy of Nate's 8th grade year.

Count me in too!!! Since I have DS entering 8th grade in the fall and considering volunteering to chaperone their trip (to Wash. DC) I need to hear more! :thumbsup2

Count me in too!!! Since I have DS entering 8th grade in the fall and considering volunteering to chaperone their trip (to Wash. DC) I need to hear more! :thumbsup2

:welcome:

Hopefully you will get some useful information from my report about the class trip. I was definitely impressed with the way things were organized.

The first hint I will give you... make sure the group size is manageable. Although we had 6 chaperones on our team, our group of 14 boys was too big! Most of the other groups for the trip were half our size. I'm not sure why we had so many, but it made moving efficiently and quickly keeping track of everyone very difficult.

I can't wait to hear more!

Amanda

Thanks, Amanda! Glad to have you here!

Thanks for joining in on this trip! :goodvibes

LOVE that pillowcase! Shows individuality with just a soupçon of rebellion. :lmao:

I feel his pain - I struggled with our home ec assignment in Grade 8 (boys did shop, girls did home ec back then of course!) - sewing a drawstring bag, which s ironic since it was something I wish I still had as per your recommendation. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter