• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

13.1 Before I Hit 40 - Running my 1st 1/2 Marathon at Disney uptd 09/30

I finally made it over!! :cool1:

I also am checking out your blog. I love that you've posted about your experience with C25K over there. :thumbsup2

I'm so excited to follow along and hear about your experience running your first half marathon! I can live through you before I get to try it myself. :woohoo: You can do this!! :yay:

Brown Derby seems like it's more of a late lunch. Any thoughts of having a brunch somewhere about 10am? I'd keep trying to change that LTT adr to a later time....I bet you can get it --try a table for 4. Did you consider The Plaza?

I"m signing up for the "meh about Le Cellier" club too. I'd so much rather have a very well cooked vegetarian dish than a steak any day. Not that I don't like steak, but once every 6 months is enough for me.

I, like you, am very excited for our Boma choices. Everything there looks so yummy! Can't wait. Bring back lots of pix for us!!

L

Me too. I had steak at Citricos this last trip and it was fantastic. I'm usually just as happy with chicken or veggie dishes though. Boma though....
I can't wait to get there again.

I finally made it over!! :cool1:

I also am checking out your blog. I love that you've posted about your experience with C25K over there. :thumbsup2

I'm so excited to follow along and hear about your experience running your first half marathon! I can live through you before I get to try it myself. :woohoo: You can do this!! :yay:

I've been off to a slow start with the weather being so cold, but I will do it. The money is paid. No bad excuses to myself. :thumbsup2

Brown Derby seems like it's more of a late lunch. Any thoughts of having a brunch somewhere about 10am? I'd keep trying to change that LTT adr to a later time....I bet you can get it --try a table for 4. Did you consider The Plaza?

I'd really like to keep the Brown Derby since my mother asked for it. I didn't book the Fantasmic package, but I know that they tend to give you weird times like that for it. I'm not sure how much time I need to leave for seating for Fantasmic now that it has reduced shows. I never made it this past trip, and the trip before it was raining up until about 15 minutes before show time so it was slow to fill up. (And there were 2 shows a day then). I'm thinking an hour minimum. I'm going to keep trying to bump the time back to about 4:30 or so.

I should look into checking LTT too. The Plaza was available, but at the same times as LTT. I guess I hit the point when I can get ADRs but the times were less optional. The earlier park closing and show times aren't helping matters.

Luckily my parents don't mind the early eating times. They regularly eat pretty early because of my mother's exercise class times during the week.

I'm subbing! You are inspiring, we are finishing up our trip on 10/2 and I saw the 1/2 marathon (and there is also a 5K that morning in MK) and was SOOOOOOOOO tempted, but afraid. I think a 5K would be more up my alley, but I'm worried that to put it at the end of a trip wouldn't work out well. I wish I could just get over the "I can't do this" feeling and start training! Cannot wait to read more of your report(s)! :cool1:

I'm subbing! You are inspiring, we are finishing up our trip on 10/2 and I saw the 1/2 marathon (and there is also a 5K that morning in MK) and was SOOOOOOOOO tempted, but afraid. I think a 5K would be more up my alley, but I'm worried that to put it at the end of a trip wouldn't work out well. I wish I could just get over the "I can't do this" feeling and start training! Cannot wait to read more of your report(s)! :cool1:

Welcome! :wave:

I defintely don't think I could do a 1/2 at the end of vacation. My poor legs would have nothing left in them. I thought of trying the 5k too, but I'm afraid that it would be too much for me. I don't want to poop myself out before the big event. :rotfl:

Best way to get over the I can't do this feeling is to pay the crazy Disney fees for a race. :lmao: Now that I've shelled out the money, I'm going to do it no mattter what.

Welcome! :wave:

I defintely don't think I could do a 1/2 at the end of vacation. My poor legs would have nothing left in them. I thought of trying the 5k too, but I'm afraid that it would be too much for me. I don't want to poop myself out before the big event. :rotfl:

Best way to get over the I can't do this feeling is to pay the crazy Disney fees for a race. :lmao: Now that I've shelled out the money, I'm going to do it no mattter what.

That's a good idea! How much was it, anyway (if you don't mind?). I thought I looked it up a month or so ago and it was around 100$?? Not sure if the 5K is the same price?

I was inspired this morning and hit the pavement and ran in the freezing cold this morning. Felt great, but I can't even run a mile straight yet! :eek:

That's a good idea! How much was it, anyway (if you don't mind?). I thought I looked it up a month or so ago and it was around 100$?? Not sure if the 5K is the same price?

I was inspired this morning and hit the pavement and ran in the freezing cold this morning. Felt great, but I can't even run a mile straight yet! :eek:

The 1/2 was $135 I think. I bit more if you were going to do it as a relay. I just saw today that the 5k is $99, but it included a ticket to the 10/3 MNSSHP. That seems a bit crazy to me. I can't imagine that if people come down for just the marathon they'd stay a Sunday night for the party, but what do I know? :confused3

Good for you to go out this morning. These brutally cold days have been making me not want to go out and run. I was supposed to go out last night when I got home, but I stayed in and started cleaning out my closets. Yep, I wanted to avoid the cold so much I cleaned. :lmao:

My training has run into a bit of a wall lately. Mainly due to the weather. I don't really mind the cold, and if the temps were in the 30's I'd probably be fine going out. It's been in the teens though, and a bit windy. Ugh!

I have a membership to my local gym where there are plenty of treadmills, but I have a little secret problem.

I'm horribly phobic of running on a treadmill. I'll walk on them, but even then I don't want to go too fast. I find it hard to not touch the railings. I know your not supposed to do that, but when I'm walking on them I feel driven to hold on to the rails.

I've always been a bit weird about treadmills, but it was made much worse last spring when I was using one of my gym's treadmills one morning. I tried bumping the speed up a bit, couldn't keep up, and went flying off the back.

icon_fitness.gif

Obviously not content that I had made a big enough fool out of myself, I tried to get back on and went flying off the back a second time in less than a minute. I looked just like this guy:

icon_fitness.gif

Embarassingly enough, not one person around me stopped to ask if I was okay, including the guy on the treadmill right next to me. :confused:

I did get up and finish my walk, but the next day I think every muscle in my body ached. Since then I have no desire at all to run on the stupid contraptions. I hate the feeling that I'm not in control. I think I'd be happier if I had a remote I could hold in my hand to control the speed, because part of my brain is always worried about reaching the speed controls in a hurry.

In the summer my treadmill phobia wasn't a big concern, but this time of year it is. I am finding it really hard to go out for a run when the temps are in the teens. I'm going to try running on my rebounder to see how that feels for an alternative for the coldest days.

I'm gonna steal that smiley if you don't mind. :rotfl:

What speed were you trying to go on the treadmill?

I'm gonna steal that smiley if you don't mind. :rotfl:

What speed were you trying to go on the treadmill?

That's okay, I stole it from someone else somewhere along the line. ;)

I wasn't even going that fast, it was just faster than I was expecting. (Especially as I wasn't running quite yet then). I think that it was about 5mph maybe? I'm not sure.

OH, Crissy, you poor thing!! That must have been an awful feeling that you had just biffed it, and a worse feeling that no one bothered to even help you!! Shame on them! I have the total SAME fear!! Seriously, I'm like you!! I can't stand not being in control and am really afraid I would hurt myself. I would so much rather be out playing tennis or raquetball than be on a boring treadmill, anyway.

It was -6 F here today!! BELOW ZERO!!! NO way would I ever go out in that! NO WAY! In fact, I'm such a wuss, I don't even like it if it's even below 50!!

Wow, you are finally signed up, congratulations!! :thumbsup2 And doing a 10k in June sounds pretty good.

The February plans sound great, so sorry that your parents are no help ADRwise. :sad2: But those which you got sound very good. I think Rose and Crown is a good idea. We had chips (i.e. fries in British English) at the fish and chips stand in the UK and really liked them. And if you don't want to sit outside, just request an inside table when you check in. :goodvibes

Any news about resorts for October??

I can understand your frustration about the training! I so much want to go outside and run, but there is so much ice... Have you thought about just starting very slowly on the treadmill? If you walk at slow speed first and just go up a tiny bit in speed every minute or so this might help you feel more comfortable. When I started to run on a treadmill, I started with 6 km/h which is about 3.7 mph. I know that this is slow, but it would help you getting a feeling for it.

OH, Crissy, you poor thing!! That must have been an awful feeling that you had just biffed it, and a worse feeling that no one bothered to even help you!! Shame on them! I have the total SAME fear!! Seriously, I'm like you!! I can't stand not being in control and am really afraid I would hurt myself. I would so much rather be out playing tennis or raquetball than be on a boring treadmill, anyway.

It was -6 F here today!! BELOW ZERO!!! NO way would I ever go out in that! NO WAY! In fact, I'm such a wuss, I don't even like it if it's even below 50!!

I was amazed that no one checked to see if I was okay. There was a guy walking on the treadmill right next to me.

I'm really just anti-treadmill anyways. My gym has tvs attached to the treadmills, but it doesn't help the boredom much. I love seeing the world go by when I run outside. At the gym I really prefer just to go to my Zumba classes.

Wow, you are finally signed up, congratulations!! :thumbsup2 And doing a 10k in June sounds pretty good.

The February plans sound great, so sorry that your parents are no help ADRwise. :sad2: But those which you got sound very good. I think Rose and Crown is a good idea. We had chips (i.e. fries in British English) at the fish and chips stand in the UK and really liked them. And if you don't want to sit outside, just request an inside table when you check in. :goodvibes

Any news about resorts for October??

I can understand your frustration about the training! I so much want to go outside and run, but there is so much ice... Have you thought about just starting very slowly on the treadmill? If you walk at slow speed first and just go up a tiny bit in speed every minute or so this might help you feel more comfortable. When I started to run on a treadmill, I started with 6 km/h which is about 3.7 mph. I know that this is slow, but it would help you getting a feeling for it.

I'm glad to hear the fish and chips were good, as that's what we'll be eating while we are there. I think it will be fine. It seems like the weather is improving, and hopefully a seat inside won't be too difficult to get.

I think I'd feel better about testing out running on the treadmill if I didn't have to do it at the gym. I tried last week, but I was still too afraid to bump up the speed. Trying it at 6 km sounds like a good idea. I know I can walk that quickly if I need to.

I was hoping to get out for a run tomorrow, and they are calling for snow. :sad2:

Congrats on booking the marathan officially!

Those are some great looking ADRs you scored. Isn't it wonderful to plan a quick trip?

As far as the treadmill goes, the only piece of advice I can give is to accelerate slowly. I've run on the treadmill before (I'm a horrible runner, so I'm really cheering you on because I understand what you mean), and it's important to gradually work up to speed. :thumbsup2

Congrats on booking the marathan officially!

Those are some great looking ADRs you scored. Isn't it wonderful to plan a quick trip?

As far as the treadmill goes, the only piece of advice I can give is to accelerate slowly. I've run on the treadmill before (I'm a horrible runner, so I'm really cheering you on because I understand what you mean), and it's important to gradually work up to speed. :thumbsup2

I can't believe I actually did it! I took a bit of flack from my brother over the weekend about how I'd be walking most of it. It only made me more determined to run as much of it as possible.

I was amazed at how easy it was to book my ADRs so close out. I'd never want to try it during free dining, but for a week at the end of Feb. it worked great. Very nice!

I'm just going to keep walking on the treadmill for now. I've been bumping up the speed little by little. I still have a certain comfort level that I can't get past, but I'm hoping to soon. My 6 year old niece finds it funny that I'm afraid to run on the treadmill. :lmao:

Tomorrow is your 2 week mark!! Are you getting super excited??

That's funny your neice is finding your treadmill fear funny. If it weren't a wee bit dangerous, I'd say put her up on it, and then see what she says. :lmao:

Tomorrow is your 2 week mark!! Are you getting super excited??

That's funny your neice is finding your treadmill fear funny. If it weren't a wee bit dangerous, I'd say put her up on it, and then see what she says. :lmao:

I want to be there now! More snow this morning is making me grumpy.

She's actually been on her parent's treadmill. (Under strict supervision of course). I think she just likes having one up on me.

I can't believe I'm leaving in just 4 days for Disney again! Seriously it can't come soon enough. The weather around here in southern CT has been brutally cold this year, and the later it gets in the season, the more snow and other yucky stuff we are seeing. This week they are calling for snow/rain mixes all week. I'm trying to ignore the fact that they are calling for this on Friday too, when I'm supposed to be flying out. I'm not usually super afraid of flying, but the thought of flying with snow and ice is a bit scary. At least there is a week in Florida to look forward to, and even if the weather is unseasonably cold down there, it should at least be free of snow.

I have done scarily little packing for my trip at the end of the week. My room looks like a bomb went off in it. I've been trying to de-stash my closet while packing and the results have made things worse. We won't even mention the fact that I've been taking part in a knitting Olympic games with an online knitting/crocheting board I'm involved with. I got two of my project entries done, and have two more to go. Way too much going on, and not enough time is my problem.

I think I've hit the point though where I need to just focus on getting things ready for the trip. I finally made a list and I think I have a good handle on what I need to do.

To Do Before Thursday

Shopping/Store Items:

Buy Conditioner for trip - I thought I was set with this, but I needed to start using the bottle I had set already.
Check and see if I have earplugs - I'm sharing a room with my parents for the Disney portion of this trip. My father snores horribly. I sleep horribly. They are the biggest necessity of this trip.

Entertainment Items:

Am I the only person who brings more things to do on a plan than she will ever really have time to do? Seriously, I bring enough with me for a trip to Europe, when my flight is less than 3 hours long. Normally my personal bag is filled with books, music, dvds, knitting and sudoku to keep me occupied the entire trip. It's a bit of an illness I think.

Luckily my ipod touch is going to make much of this much easier now. On it I can store the pdfs for my knitting project, my music a few movies, games and books using the Kindle app. All in one little device. I heart my ipod touch! I already have a slew of books on my ipod, and several games. The Phineas and Ferb game for the touch is very addictive, and I love the classic Hunt the Wumpus game I have. I have the last Harry Potter movie that I haven't watched yet to watch, so I think I just download a few random tv episodes just in case. Probably some Star Trek, or Ally McBeal.

As for the knitting, I have some socks I need to finish, and I'll probably bring along a new project to start as well. I'll have lots of free time once I get to my grandmother's house and I'll like having something to work on while watching tv at night or chatting with my family

Personal Things

Get Eyebrows done
Color hair

Yes, I am that vain that I need to do these things before I go. I don't know if I would bother if I wasn't seeing family, but since I am I want to be looking my best. My hair isn't bad at the moment, I just have a bit of root growth. I bought one of those root-touch up kits, and I'm hoping that it will do the trick. I really am not in the mood to do my entire head before I leave.

As for my October trip, I've put the planning for that on-hold until I get back from this trip. I've hit a bit of a snag in the planning, and really am not in the mood to make any decisions until I get back. I had been hoping to stay at a deluxe this trip,as it's going to be really a birthday trip for my 40th birthday which is just after I get home. My part-time job which, normally finances a large part of my trips to Disney, just got bought out by a new company. They cut my hourly pay by more than half. I only work one or two days a week, and with the pay cut it's no longer worth it for me to stay there, so I gave my notice on Saturday. Since I'll be on vacation the next two weeks, I've already had my last day. Now I'm going to have to watch my budget even more for this trip. At least the tickets are paid for already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter