12 wonderful days at OKW

DVC-94

Earning My Ears

We just got back from a 12 night stay, 5/27 - 6/8, in a 1BR at OKW. Anyone with any concerns about maintenance....forget it! Everything was great. My only complaint is that for the first time since '94, we didn't get one of the buildings we requested. I had 7 buildings on my request list, so I wasn't trying for anything very specific. We were originally assigned a room in building 29 which I didn't want because it is surrounded by trees. (My view out my living room window at home is of woods, so when I vacation, I want something different) The CM who checked us in found us something in building 35; it wasn't ready until after 5pm, but we didn't mind waiting in order to get a building with a view of something other than trees.

Our unit was overlooking the water which when we checked in was very low and yucky looking. After several afternoons of heavy rain, the water level was up and the ducks were happy. :cool:

We spent a lot of time lounging around on our balcony doing nothing but enjoying the quiet. There were lots of ducks, not as many pesky birds, more bunnies than last year, and an occasional squirrel. One squirrel made itself a chair in the palm tree next to our balcony and sat there eating berries that were growing in the tree.

Everytime we go we say that maybe next time we'll stay at BW, but after a few days at OKW, that idea goes out the window. I was talking to a sales rep. at one of the DVC kiosks and he said there are OKW people and there are BW people and the two don't mix. ;) He said it jokingly, but I knew what he meant.

I probably won't be writing a trip report, but if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Glad you had such a wonderful time!! We are really looking forward to our 12 day stay in July at OKW!! It will be a wonderful change of pace. Know what you mean about the trees though. One time we had a first floor one-bedroom unit that was so surrounded by trees we had to keep the lights on in the afternoon. That was the only time I haven't been totally pleased with my OKW accommodations!!

We were in building 28 last month, second floor. We had a fairway view through a break in the trees. We were on the end close to 29 and I noticed that the trees were practically on the porches of the rooms in building 29. Good move requesting another building! Glad you had a great time!

We will be staying there this Febuary and are glad to here all is operating efficently. Thanks for your post. Take care, Tammy

Sounds like a wonderful trip. We will be making our first trip to OKW as DVC members. In the past, we have stayed in the fairway villas at DI. We have booked a GV for Jan 02. Any suggestions for a building # that overlooks water and golf greens? Glad to hear you had such a great trip.

Originally posted by DVC-94

We just got back from a 12 night stay, 5/27 - 6/8, in a 1BR at OKW. Anyone with any concerns about maintenance....forget it!

Boy we probably were on the busses at some point together. We just got home this AM after being at OKW since 06/02. We had very much the same experience except that when we checked in our room was ready at 9:00 AM. My DW and I were both shocked.

Originally posted by disrailfan

Boy we probably were on the busses at some point together. We just got home this AM after being at OKW since 06/02. We had very much the same experience except that when we checked in our room was ready at 9:00 AM. My DW and I were both shocked.

Since we drive down, we've never used the busses at OKW. Funny, we've gotten a unit near a bus stop more than half the times we've stayed there. Our room would have been ready when we checked in if I had been willing to take the one in building 29. I suppose some people like the woodsy closed in feeling, but in my opinion, the trees are way too close to some of the balconies & windows.

Glad you had a good time. Please do a trip report. I'm sure many of us would love to read it.

My first DVC trip was in 1998 and we stayed in a studio in room 2920. My mother and I loved it so much that we fax in a request for that room last year in September and it was ready for us when we arrived at 10:15 a.m. The trees are very close, but we loved it. It was like a secret hideaway. The only problem we had was the door knob to the bathroom was broken. They put in a new door knob when we were out for only one hour. Everyone has their favorite spot at OKW. That is one of the best things about it. It is so big that everyone can find a special place. I can't wait till we go back in September. My mother will be there for 20 days and I will only be there for 10 days.

Originally posted by disneyokw
Glad you had a good time. Please do a trip report. I'm sure many of us would love to read it.

I'm afraid a trip report from me would be boring as we spent a lot of time doing nothing but relaxing in our unit and out on the balcony. That's one of my favorite things to do at OKW...NOTHING! :D

Instead of a trip report, I may post a link to some of the pictures I took if I ever get them up on the web. I went a bit crazy with my new digital camera; took over 300 pictures and most of them turned out so good that I want to print them all!

Oh my 300 digital photos. I took about that with a regular camera in September. I had to stagger taking the film for processing. It felt like I was paying for another trip. I booked mark your website. Looking forward to your photos.

Latest posts

facebook twitter