$10 resort fee at Dolphin

travelbug

DIS Veteran
I'm staying at the Dolphin for the first time, but only for 2 nights. Then I'll be moving over to the BWV. I hear that Swan & Dolphin charge a $10 "resort fee". I'm curious if anyone has succeeded in getting the fee waived if you don't plan to use resort amenities.

I rarely visit the Resorts Board, so I don't know if I asked one of those hot button questions that set people off. I sure hope not!!! If the fee is basically a given, then that's fine. Not a big deal, especially for only 2 nights. But if it's easy to get it waived just by asking, then it would be nice to know that. No complaining, no making a scene, no huffiness - I would just ask. :D

Makes me wonder why Swan & Dolphin don't quote their prices to automatically include the resort fee. :confused:

Thanks in advance! :D

All reports in teh past few months is taht they will ont waive the fee.

And I agree 100%, they should just add it to the room rate and be done with it.

Anne

I could be completely wrong on this but I think that by adding the resort fee after the fact, you avoid paying hotel taxes on the $10.

If you included the $10 in the room rate, it would be taxed.

Someone please correct me if I'm off on this.

That is the explanation, jmcross. Lately, the resort fee has been difficult to get waived. But, travelbug, ask politely to have it waived -- the worst case is you will get a no.

Very interesting about avoiding some taxes by separating out the resort fee. Now I wonder why all resorts don't do likewise. :confused:

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I think I'll do what Mouseteacher suggested and just politely ask. We'll see what happens. :D

I appreciate your help! :jester:

I'm pretty sure the resort fee is taxed BUT I think Swan/Dolphin backs out the taxes (the resort fee is $9 something and totals $10 with tax).

Having a separate resort fee allows the hotel to show lower prices in the search engines and (I think) allows the hotel to avoid paying travel agent commissions on the resort fee. At least S/D are giving you stuff for the fee. Some lower end properties aren't give resorts and just tack it on.

I think any mandatory fee should be included in the room rate.

Lewisc~ You are right about the resort fee being taxed in and of itself. The fee is $9 and change plus tax = total of $10. I have not asked to have it waived since not only did I book the teacher rate but received wonderful comp upgrades at both the Swan and Dolphin. So, I didn't push the issue of the resort fee.

I plan on using the health club when I go so I won't ask for it to be waived, either. I would like to know if Travelbug or anyone else has luck getting it waived, though.
(Just out of curiosity.):D

August 29th the Swan front desk guy said under no circumstances will they waive the resort fee. He said that is because it isn't just for newspaper, coffee and health club, it contributes to the maintenance of the pools and common areas. First time anybody ever said that...

Originally posted by TDC Nala
.... it contributes to the maintenance of the pools and common areas. First time anybody ever said that...

Then it really should be included in the room rate.

Ugh, they will waive the fee, maybe not without a fight though, LOL! I stayed there Friday night and the internet connection would not work for my l laptop. I did not have the right slot on my laptop. I ended up quickly buying an earthlink dialup account, and they ( the resort) wavied my resort fee plus all of my phone calls and per minute charges so I could have internet access to work :0)

Anyway, they waived it for me, but maybe it is circumstance by circumstance.

Guess there's more to the resort fee than I realized. I think I'll ask at check-in what the resort fee is for, and see what response I get there. If it's to cover general maintenance of resort amenities, that's okay by me. If it's a fee based on the assumption that I'll use the pool, health club, etc., then I may ask to have it waived since I don't plan to use any of that in the 2 days I'll be there. Again, if they say no to my request, I will accept the answer graciously and that will be the end of it. Guess I'm just curious about it. ;)

Thanks again, everyone, for your interesting replies. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter