1 year old +364 days.. will they make him wear a mask?

chaselovesnemo

Mouseketeer
We want to take our youngest to Disney and are considering taking him right before his bday because he’s never worn a mask and I have no confidence he will any time soon. Are we ok doing it so soon before his bday or if he looks “almost 2” will they hassle us? Can I just bring his birthday certificate to prove age? He’s small but a huge talker so sometimes can be assumed older.

We want to take our youngest to Disney and are considering taking him right before his bday because he’s never worn a mask and I have no confidence he will any time soon. Are we ok doing it so soon before his bday or if he looks “almost 2” will they hassle us? Can I just bring his birthday certificate to prove age? He’s small but a huge talker so sometimes can be assumed older.
as I have said other times what on the Birth Certificate shows it belongs to your child and not another child to make child under 2? if he is a big talker as you say be prepared for CMs to ask him not you his age. I would do some practicing at home before you go just in case

as I have said other times what on the Birth Certificate shows it belongs to your child and not another child to make child under 2? if he is a big talker as you say be prepared for CMs to ask him not you his age. I would do some practicing at home before you go just in case

Well my name is on his birth certificate as his mother and I have a photo ID I could show them..

I’m curious how they distinguish a 2 year old from a child days younger?

Well my name is on his birth certificate as his mother and I have a photo ID I could show them..

I’m curious how they distinguish a 2 year old from a child days younger?
just remember if he turns 2 on trip and you say he is 2 he will need a mask and be asked to put one on. and yes they have been enforcing. cant say for this one but with other age requirements the child is asked not parents. like the 7 to ride alone it is the child who is asked and I have have had CMs wait for the child to answer and take the child's answer over parent. I would plan carefully if age changes during trip and be very careful esp if little guy is inclined to answer with age as a lot are inclined to do

just remember if he turns 2 on trip and you say he is 2 he will need a mask and be asked to put one on. and yes they have been enforcing. cant say for this one but with other age requirements the child is asked not parents. like the 7 to ride alone it is the child who is asked and I have have had CMs wait for the child to answer and take the child's answer over parent. I would plan carefully if age changes during trip and be very careful esp if little guy is inclined to answer with age as a lot are inclined to do

This is great to know, thanks. He turns 2 the 23rd of April and we’re looking at visiting the week prior. We do usually prep our little kids for their birthdays on how old they're going to be, so I definitely won’t teach him that. 😂😂 He’s 19 months right now and I’m pretty sure he’d just stare at a CM if asked.

This is great to know, thanks. He turns 2 the 23rd of April and we’re looking at visiting the week prior. We do usually prep our little kids for their birthdays on how old they're going to be, so I definitely won’t teach him that. 😂😂 He’s 19 months right now and I’m pretty sure he’d just stare at a CM if asked.
for sure dont teach him that make that something to work on on the way home

because at 2 years of age he is required but day before he is not required so it is better to practice before his birthday

But from what the OP said sounds like its actually a whole week before his birthday.
They can practice once they get home and they really should not be prior to age 2 as its recommended to NOT wear one.
Letting the child see others with masks on and letting them know its normal right now should be enough until the child turns the appropriate age and actually is required to wear it.

Just tell them he is under 2. That is what we did when we were asked once at Disney Springs. No one at Epcot said anything. I told one of the CMs at Ft. Wilderness that she was a month away from her 2nd birthday, but no one said anything about mask-wearing, we were just chatting about pony rides and how I thought we'd wait until she was older. I guess we will need to start practicing now though. Next trip she will be 2.5 and I am hoping to not have a mask-wearing disaster.

Just tell them he is under 2. That is what we did when we were asked once at Disney Springs. No one at Epcot said anything. I told one of the CMs at Ft. Wilderness that she was a month away from her 2nd birthday, but no one said anything about mask-wearing, we were just chatting about pony rides and how I thought we'd wait until she was older. I guess we will need to start practicing now though. Next trip she will be 2.5 and I am hoping to not have a mask-wearing disaster.
My youngest turned 2 several months after the pandemic began, and our state required masks fairly early so we started training her as soon as COVID hit (she was well under 24 months). Her favorite reward for good behavior is TV/video time, so we have her wear her mask at home while watching TV, so much so that now when she wants to watch MMClubhouse, she brings us her mask and declares "Mickey"! Good news is they condition pretty easily at this age ... mask training was way easier than potty training ...

Last edited:
Incorrect. Its actually dangerous for infants.
A 2 year old is a toddler, not an infant.

I am of the school of thought that the earlier you introduce mask wearing to your child, the easier it will be on you. My now DS3, just celebrated his birthday in December, started wearing his mask in March/April, before they became mandated.

I knew it was coming and I thought it was better to get him used to it before it was mandated so we wouldn't have melt downs or issues. He was no trouble at all.

Exactly... UNDER 2 is an infant.....

And your DS was 2+ when he started...
Because of timing of the pandemic. Had it hit when he was nearly 2, I still would have introduced the mask to him.

And 1 year and 364 days is a toddler, not an infant.

I'm not advising OP to put a mask on her 6mo old baby. A child who can walk around and speak is old enough to introduce a mask to in my opinion. He isn't wearing it while he is sleeping, just while he is out in public. I would do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!