1 year old +364 days.. will they make him wear a mask?

When you took your DS @ 23 m/o, did you take him on any rides? And, if so, did he have to wear a mask? We thought it'd be clever to plan a trip just before our DS's 2nd bday, but now we are a bit concerned about mask enforcement...
All I have ever been asked is how old he is or if he needs a mask or some version like that. I have never been challenged past that.

I would absolutely not let that stop you from going especially if DS is not even 2 yet. DS is 2.5 now & I did not always have a mask on him at times when he was in the stroller & no one said a word to me.

All I have ever been asked is how old he is or if he needs a mask or some version like that. I have never been challenged past that.

I would absolutely not let that stop you from going especially if DS is not even 2 yet. DS is 2.5 now & I did not always have a mask on him at times when he was in the stroller & no one said a word to me.
Thank you for the info! I'm hoping we won't be given too hard of time... He will be in his stroller or in arms when not either riding or dining, so he won't be bugging people or touching things.

My dd turned two on Halloween. We live an hour away and have AP’s. We have been multiple times before and since her birthday. People giving you a hard time have either forgotten or don’t know that reasoning with a two year old is similar to bathing a cat. Don’t stress. He’s not two yet so enjoy yourselves. That being said my two and three year old think that wearing masks is just a part of going to Disney now. They ask for certain masks and get excited to wear them. They have had meltdowns and refused and we’d just take a break and stop to eat. Trust me when I say the cast members are sympathetic when they see you struggling. Also, we have only been asked my two year olds birthdate once out of the last 12 times we’ve been. Chances are no one is going to even ask. Have fun!!

I was inquiring on the time she took her DS when he was 23 months old, as she'd mentioned in a previous post... Where are you getting years? And I imagine a 23 y/o would be wearing a mask or they wouldn't be in the park... no question about that.
I read TinkB278’s reply very quickly and thought it was months vs years. I’m pretty sure they did not intend to write 23 year old. Either way, a mask will not be required until your child turns two. At 23 months - no mask. Hope you have a good trip!

My dd turned two on Halloween. We live an hour away and have AP’s. We have been multiple times before and since her birthday. People giving you a hard time have either forgotten or don’t know that reasoning with a two year old is similar to bathing a cat. Don’t stress. He’s not two yet so enjoy yourselves. That being said my two and three year old think that wearing masks is just a part of going to Disney now. They ask for certain masks and get excited to wear them. They have had meltdowns and refused and we’d just take a break and stop to eat. Trust me when I say the cast members are sympathetic when they see you struggling. Also, we have only been asked my two year olds birthdate once out of the last 12 times we’ve been. Chances are no one is going to even ask. Have fun!!
Haha.. exactly like bathing a cat.

Having been so many times, do you know if under 2’s are allowed to snack in line?

I was inquiring on the time she took her DS when he was 23 months old, as she'd mentioned in a previous post... Where are you getting years? And I imagine a 23 y/o would be wearing a mask or they wouldn't be in the park... no question about that.
I meant month, not year. Mom brain.

Having been so many times, do you know if under 2’s are allowed to snack in line?

There are signs that state that eating and drinking are not permitted in line. No age exception is offered. I am sure people ignore the sign and give themselves a personal exemption to give their kid a snack and no one says anything, but you’re really not supposed to.

Last edited:
Don’t make him wear a mask and have a great time! Corona does not know when your birthday is :) You need to do what you are comfortable with.

There are signs that state that eating and drinking are not permitted in line. No age exception is offered. I am sure people ignore the sign and give themselves a personal exemption to give their kid a snack and no one says anything, but you’re really not supposed to.
Really?? So you think giving a baby a bottle is not an exception? They’re trying to prevent ppl from taking off masks to eat in line. I think it’s reasonable to assume that if the child is not required to wear a mask, then drinking a bottle or eating a goldfish is fine.

Really?? So you think giving a baby a bottle is not an exception? They’re trying to prevent ppl from taking off masks to eat in line. I think it’s reasonable to assume that if the child is not required to wear a mask, then drinking a bottle or eating a goldfish is fine.

I think it’s unfair to the over 2 kids who must be masked to give an under 2 Cheerios or puffs or goldfish or whatever. I just think if a 2 year old is masked and can’t eat, and the rule is no eating, it’s not fair to let an under 2 snack simply because they don’t need a mask.

I mean, yes ... of course babies NEED bottles. But I have also taken my 4 and 5 year old to WDW and Disneyland since they were babies and always gave them their bottles before getting in line. Never waited until they were starving or needed an urgent bottle. They did super great in line after having just been fed so we somehow magically avoided bottles in line 🤷🏻‍♀️.

We don’t do snacks in line so we don’t leave any crumbs as a mess for CMs, or expose someone to an allergen in an enclosed place. It’s possible to wait in a ride line with small kids without snacks, have done it countless times.

Also, I’m just reporting what the Disney sign says. It says no eating or drinking. Doesn’t provide any exemption for anyone under a certain age. No food or drink also helps keep the line cleaner.

Last edited:
I think it’s unfair to the over 2 kids who must be masked to give an under 2 Cheerios or puffs or goldfish or whatever. I just think if a 2 year old is masked and can’t eat, and the rule is no eating, it’s not fair to let an under 2 snack simply because they don’t need a mask.

I mean, yes ... of course babies NEED bottles. But I have also taken my 4 and 5 year old to WDW and Disneyland since they were babies and always gave them their bottles before getting in line. They did super great in line after having just been fed 🤷🏻‍♀️. Same deal with snacks, though. We don’t do that in line so we don’t leave any crumbs as a mess for CMs, or expose someone to an allergen in an enclosed place. You can do a line with small kids without snacks, have done it countless times.

Also, I’m just reporting what the Disney sign says. It says no eating or drinking. Doesn’t provide any exemption for anyone under a certain age. No food or drink also helps keep the line cleaner.
See but you’re not just saying what the sign says. In your previous post, you’re passing judgment saying things like “I’m sure ppl give themselves a personal exemption”. There is nothing unsanitary about feeding an infant a bottle or breastfeeding in line so surely that is an obvious exemption that Disney didn’t feel the need to print on a sign. And that’s great if it worked for you to feed before getting in line, but DS has been going since he was a baby too & I had more success feeding him line. Ftr, that was before there were signs.

See but you’re not just saying what the sign says. In your previous post, you’re passing judgment saying things like “I’m sure ppl give themselves a personal exemption”. There is nothing unsanitary about feeding an infant a bottle or breastfeeding in line so surely that is an obvious exemption that Disney didn’t feel the need to print on a sign. And that’s great if it worked for you to feed before getting in line, but DS has been going since he was a baby too & I had more success feeding him line. Ftr, that was before there were signs.

Correct. It is not unsanitary to give a baby a bottle or breastfeed in line. That was not my implication. And feeding a baby a bottle or nursing them is a necessity. Just because I never needed to in line doesn’t mean others don’t.

I just don’t think the Disney sign implies that a child under 2 can eat snacks in line. I do think people probably give themselves a personal pass on this 🤷🏻‍♀️

We have all seen the rogue goldfish, Cheerios, fruit snacks, food wrappers, etc. on the ground in line before. It’s gross. Not everyone takes the responsibility to clean up after their child. I do think the no food/drink rule helps prevent those things (not talking about babies and bottles.)

When you took your DS @ 23 m/o, did you take him on any rides? And, if so, did he have to wear a mask? We thought it'd be clever to plan a trip just before our DS's 2nd bday, but now we are a bit concerned about mask enforcement...

Just say he hasn’t turned 2 yet. They won’t make him wear a mask (similar to how they won’t make a 35 month old child produce a ticket).

I saw a kid last week run her tongue across a hand rail. Took everything I had not to vomit.
My son did that kinda of stuff when he was little..
It was really hard to keep him from licking windows.... I'm so glad we have moved on from that..

At a non Disney place that had a similar sign I actually had a very nice security guard tell me that the sign did not apply to my 1 year old.

I mean, yes ... of course babies NEED bottles. But I have also taken my 4 and 5 year old to WDW and Disneyland since they were babies and always gave them their bottles before getting in line. Never waited until they were starving or needed an urgent bottle. They did super great in line after having just been fed so we somehow magically avoided bottles in line 🤷🏻‍♀️.

We don’t do snacks in line so we don’t leave any crumbs as a mess for CMs, or expose someone to an allergen in an enclosed place. It’s possible to wait in a ride line with small kids without snacks, have done it countless times.

My under 2 year old had a drink in a non spill sippy cup in almost every line we went on. We interacted with many CM’s in line and never once hid DD’s drink. Not one CM told us that DD couldn’t have her drink. I even asked one at one line and they said it was okay. So while the sign may not have exemptions, I think you are meant to use common sense. I doubt they wanted to list every possible scenario where a drink/food may be appropriate even though there is a standard rule not to eat/drink in line.

My under 2 year old had a drink in a non spill sippy cup in almost every line we went on. We interacted with many CM’s in line and never once hid DD’s drink. Not one CM told us that DD couldn’t have her drink. I even asked one at one line and they said it was okay. So while the sign may not have exemptions, I think you are meant to use common sense. I doubt they wanted to list every possible scenario where a drink/food may be appropriate even though there is a standard rule not to eat/drink in line.
one difference in your case child is under 2 and no mask required might not be the same for child who has to wear mask. but in my family youngest being able to drink and older one not would be a big problem and I can see that happening

one difference in your case child is under 2 and no mask required might not be the same for child who has to wear mask. but in my family youngest being able to drink and older one not would be a big problem and I can see that happening

agreed but the person I was responding too said even those under 2 are not allowed to eat or drink in line because the signs don’t state their is an exception to the rule for those under 2 and that those that let there under 2 eat/drink in line are giving themselves a “personal pass”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter