1 year, 10 months and 16 days from today - A May 2016 PTR FINAL UPDATE 5/6/16

25 right? (Including smilies.)

Actually, I was able to do 26 pictures. I just quit there and didn't try more than that. I was testing because another user is only able to to 10 pictures per post, and finds it very annoying. Maybe it depends on HOW you insert the pictures now? I know there are a few ways to do it...

LOL! I'm sure I'll get an A

Yup! Everyone gets an A today!!

Yay for a birthday! And for a successful drive. As a Momma that is not an easy thing to be ready for; they grow up so fast. Love that cake- such a fun one.

The cake was fun to make. Took a couple tries to get it close to right, but it was fun. DD was super-happy today -- her "official" permit came in the mail today. That was FAST!!! She was just at the DMV on the 25th, and got her picture card in the mail today! She's been driving every chance she gets, too. She's getting much better already.

Days 14 and 15

Visiting Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. We’ve got two full days here. One day will be given to touring the Smoky Mountains National Park. It’s a beautiful place. Just driving through it is amazing, and we love the stops along the way.

Cade’s Cove area
13512399373_1f91797f6d_z_zpslbe91ud3.jpg

13512298785_78e267e129_z_zpsehizexdw.jpg

13512362413_aa8727b903_z_zpsyv1wfwz3.jpg

13512831574_dbcdd472a3_z_zpsu7paohgk.jpg

13512609414_aa1240a215_z_zpsm2jxrk6d.jpg

Newfound Gap area
9121600053_bf024b2d34_z_zpszfkfhnjs.jpg

9122228581_c1d39414d7_z_zps35dtlpvm.jpg

9123750248_ed8f3c4604_z_zpsjzug6gus.jpg

9124047352_498dc5b8f6_z_zps97noe4xa.jpg

Miscellaneous shots throughout the Park
13512591663_2e280a0a5c_z_zpsgddrgcan.jpg

13512289343_a77b9a5e30_z_zpsltjqekg0.jpg

13512270823_bf13790d50_z_zps7yudkr4c.jpg

9085068272_59c5b2ffa3_z_zps4458b5b5.jpg

9124644594_01d5d7750b_z_zps3yb1ukgu.jpg

9123053084_8bcf711ec2_z_zpspqonrvnh.jpg

The other day will be given to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. We’ll spend time walking up and down the Strip in Gatlinburg. I’m sure we’ll end up going to the Ripley’s Believe It Or Not museum again, and probably the Aquarium. We’ve done them before, but they’re always fun. We’ll also head into Pigeon Forge and check out some of the fun shops and such. One evening, we want to see the Comedy Barn again. We’ve done that in the past, but it’s been several years.

Gatlinburg sites
13457564295_f3aeb558e7_z_zpstse8zcob.jpg

13457850304_c6b83d31d9_z_zpsgr01hcbb.jpg

13457929874_ed8e18a313_z_zps3ofttpmo.jpg

Pigeon Forge sites

13457774784_f5f69015ee_z_zpss5thwndp.jpg

032514107e_zps3965957e.jpg

9123397155_b6c0f56e65_z_zpsqaqafqgs.jpg

That’ll wrap up our two days in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

That all looks pretty interesting.
I'd like to take more time in the Smoky Mountains area than just driving through it.
(But to be fair... we were trying to get to WDW ASAP.)

Yup. She did well. Although.... She did almost sideswipe a car when changing lanes. She forgot to check the blind spot...

Whoops! That's a lesson that everyone has to go through.
Luckily, she got away without hitting the other car.
Next time, she'll check, right?
We've all been there.

I was amazed at how much there was to do in Gaitlingburg/Pigeon Forge. Is there a best time of the year to go when it isn't super crowded? We made a brief stop there in July and it was insane.

Plans for those two days sound great. We really need to get back to Gatlinburg one of these days.

That all looks pretty interesting.
I'd like to take more time in the Smoky Mountains area than just driving through it.
(But to be fair... we were trying to get to WDW ASAP.)

Whoops! That's a lesson that everyone has to go through.
Luckily, she got away without hitting the other car.
Next time, she'll check, right?
We've all been there.

I don't blame you for not stopping, since you were on your way to Disney World! But it is worth a stop. It's a beautiful area, with a LOT to do.

And yes, she now knows to check that blind spot!

I was amazed at how much there was to do in Gaitlingburg/Pigeon Forge. Is there a best time of the year to go when it isn't super crowded? We made a brief stop there in July and it was insane.

Summer is crazy-busy. And the fall. People come from all over to see the fall colors. We went last March and it was not horribly busy. September may not be bad, but I'd avoid October/November for the leaf-peppers.

Plans for those two days sound great. We really need to get back to Gatlinburg one of these days.

I love the Gatlinburg area. I would seriously live in that region if I had my choice.

May 2015 trip – Day 1

Hey – I’m back! It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, but we are back from our family vacation and I thought I’d do a bit of a trip report on that.

Our plans changed from my pre-trip notes here. Of course. It always happens that way. I love planning a trip, but don’t mind if plans change. It’s more fun that way sometimes!

We decided to leave on Friday, May 22nd. We had the van packed up the night before, exept for the last minute items.

I don’t think DD slept more than an hour. She was up and over to Grandma’s house at 4:30 am. We got up shortly after five, and got showered, dressed and ready. We got the rest of the van packed up and the house closed up. We left the house at 6:12 am. Starting mileage was 172,903.

052215001_zpsibprem7p.jpg

We were on the expressway at 6:16 am, and entered Pennsylvania at 6:42.

052215003_zpszrvktken.jpg

We stopped at the Fry Brothers Turkey Ranch for breakfast, at 7:23. This is an older restaurant – one that MIL remembers going to with her husband years ago. We thought it would be nice to stop in. Service was really slow – we had to wait quite a while to be seated, then had to wait again for a waitress to take our order. After our order was taken, the food came out fairly quickly, though. DH had a ham omelet and toast, DD had a cheese omelet with toast, MIL had 2 fried eggs with toast, and I had their breakfast special – 2 fried eggs, toast, bacon, sausage and potatoes. I didn’t eat the potatoes – they were good, but it was too much for breakfast. I should have known better. We all had orange juice, except DD, who had apple juice. Total here was $32.42 plus a $5 tip. We left at 8:24. Bad trip report writer – I didn’t take pictures of our food. Actually, I don’t think there are ANY food pictures this time around.

052215004_zpsjlyoartr.jpg

052215006%20-%20Sarah%20Elizabeth_zpsmkmajucp.jpg

DD fell asleep shortly after we left the Turkey Ranch, and didn’t wake up again until we stopped at a rest area, where she didn’t get out. She went back to sleep and slept until lunch.

We stopped at a rest area at 10.59. I bought a Black Cherry soda for $2. We left at 11:11.

We saw LOTS of cops today. All over the place. Some had people pulled over, some were just waiting. Very busy traffic, too.

Look – I know we have discussed this… I think it was in MickeysToontown’s trip report. I finally remembered to take a picture of the huge roadside paint can! In all the trips south that we’ve taken, I have NEVER taken a picture of this before now.

052215010_zpsr7spjupt.jpg

We entered MD at 11:48.
052215012_zps7tblpbbb.jpg

We entered WV at 11:59.
052215013_zpsogsu92kx.jpg

We entered VA at 12:22.
052215014_zpsgeawl3uq.jpg

We stopped for lunch in Woodstock, VA, at KFC. We arrived at 1:03pm. DH had the 2 piece meal with mashed potatoes, DD had the 3 piece tenders with potato wedges, MIL had the 2 Chicken Little sandwiches with corn, and I had the Famous Bowl. Total here was $22.05.

052215017%20-%20Duane_zpszwcabg6u.jpg

052215021%20-%20Sarah%20Elizabeth_zps3f13glgd.jpg

After lunch, we stopped at Arby’s across the road, to get DD an orange crème milkshake. Total here was $3.19.

We stopped for gas before getting back on the road. $34.00 for 13.606 gallons at $2.49 per gallon. Got back on I-81 at 2:05.

Stopped at a rest area at 3:57, and left at 4:08.

We hit lots of slow, almost stand-still traffic near Roanoke. We found out later that shortly after we passed through, there was an incident on this stretch of highway, where an officer was shot at during a traffic stop! Yikes!!!

We got on I-77 at 5:26. Traffic was a bit better on this road. Still busy, but not as horribly much.

We made a stop for gas at 5:50. $23.00 for 9.589 gallons at $2.39 per gallon. Left at 5:54.

We were ready for supper now, and it would have been very late if we had gone on to the restaurant I had planned on, so I used my phone to check TripAdvisor for nearby restaurants. We found one with good reviews -- the Lake View Motel and Restaurant. It was a small place, but the food was good! DH had salmon with fried squash and pototo salad, DD and MIL both had the chicken salad plate with potato salad, and I had a grilled cheese sandwich with onion rings and pototo salad. We all had Coke, except DD had iced sweet tea. We also had an order of mozzerella sticks. Total here was $40.44 plus $8 tip. We left at 7:08.

052215023_zps4me8d6ri.jpg

052215029_zpssfoxhnol.jpg

This pictures is a little blurry, but DH and DD were “fighting” over the fried squash on DH’s plate.
052215026%20-%20Duane%20Elizabeth_zpsemfrh4nj.jpg

We made it to North Carolina at 7:20.
052215031_zpshjiosm0v.jpg

We stopped at a rest area at 7:57. Spent $2.50 for a ginger ale. Left at 8:03.

We arrived at Gail and Angie’s at 9:59. Dropped of MIL and visited for a few minutes. We left at 10:21 to head to our hotel for the night.

Arrived at Days Inn and checked in. Got to hotel room - #132 – at 10:45 pm. $110.95 total for the night. We all spent some time on our laptops/iPod before bed. I got my trip notes caught up and my pictures copied to the laptop, including pictures from my cell phone. DD took a shower, and we all went to bed around 12:30.

052315001_zpsqwmnuwoo.jpg

Up next -- we get to Georgia!!

Our plans changed from my pre-trip notes here.

Yay! One of the reasons why I've never been a big fan of PTRs.
Takes away from the surprise of a TR.

I don’t think DD slept more than an hour.

Why not? Was she leaving on a vacation or something? :rolleyes1

We stopped at the Fry Brothers Turkey Ranch for breakfast, at 7:23. This is an older restaurant – one that MIL remembers going to with her husband years ago.

I love that. Did she remember it at all?
Or had it changed in the meantime?

:) Cute pic of the two of them!

DD fell asleep shortly after we left the Turkey Ranch, and didn’t wake up again until we stopped at a rest area, where she didn’t get out. She went back to sleep and slept until lunch.

:laughing: That lack of sleep caught up to her, I see.

We saw LOTS of cops today. All over the place. Some had people pulled over, some were just waiting. Very busy traffic, too.

Very busy traffic. Hence the surplus of cops.

In all the trips south that we’ve taken, I have NEVER taken a picture of this before now.

And now you have!
And that's one big paint can!

:lmao: It looks like DD just stole grandma's chicken!

We found out later that shortly after we passed through, there was an incident on this stretch of highway, where an officer was shot at during a traffic stop! Yikes!!!

:eek: Yikes is right!!

This pictures is a little blurry, but DH and DD were “fighting” over the fried squash on DH’s plate.

:laughing:

Arrived at Days Inn and checked in. Got to hotel room - #132 – at 10:45 pm. $110.95 total for the night.

Not too bad.

we all went to bed around 12:30.

Late night. Hope you guys got to sleep in a bit the next day! :goodvibes

Still trying my best to follow along. :)

We left at 11:11

HAHA! That little gem caught my attention a little more. It's my daughter's favorite time and once in a while I catch my phone on that time during lecture and I quick text her. One of our little games. Anyway, you're having a smooth trip so far! Fun stuff.

Yay! One of the reasons why I've never been a big fan of PTRs.
Takes away from the surprise of a TR.

I like to do a PTR just to get ideas out there. It's really a planning tool for me. I don't think I've EVER taken a trip where things went the way of the PTR...

Why not? Was she leaving on a vacation or something? :rolleyes1

I know, right? She was just a wee bit excited...

I love that. Did she remember it at all?
Or had it changed in the meantime?

It still looks very much like it did in the past. Although it used to be on a little two-lane type road, and now it has it's own exit off a new freeway. The restaurant is still very much the same.

:laughing: That lack of sleep caught up to her, I see.

Yes, yes it did. Finally.

:lmao: It looks like DD just stole grandma's chicken!

It does! Actually, she's just mugging for the camera - still exited to be on the trip.

Late night. Hope you guys got to sleep in a bit the next day! :goodvibes

Nope, no sleeping in going no here. Even DD, who is a horrible morning person, was up bright and early. Next day's update coming soon...

Still trying my best to follow along. :)

Don't worry about getting lost. I do it all the time!!! Every now and then, I just have to sit down and read through the TR's and PTR's that I'm following, because I just get lost.

I know, right? She was just a wee bit excited...

:laughing: Just a smidge.

It still looks very much like it did in the past. Although it used to be on a little two-lane type road, and now it has it's own exit off a new freeway. The restaurant is still very much the same.

So did she remember it then? Bring back some memories?

Even DD, who is a horrible morning person, was up bright and early.

Ah, but will she stay up? :rolleyes:

Finally caught up and joining in. I have to laugh. I spent time at work yesterday pricing out a trip to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for the fall after reading the first part of this report!!

So did she remember it then? Bring back some memories?

She did remember it. I believe she enjoyed the stop.

Finally caught up and joining in. I have to laugh. I spent time at work yesterday pricing out a trip to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for the fall after reading the first part of this report!!

Welcome!! We love the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. There is a LOT to do in that area, and it's beautiful.

Welcome!! We love the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. There is a LOT to do in that area, and it's beautiful.

It's been almost a decade since I've been to the area. We went there for senior trip. And probably 15 years for DF. We both love the area and want to take the girls on vacation. In the almost 12 years we've been together, we have never taken a trip together unless you count and overnight to Biloxi where we all slept a few hours in the car before driving back to La. So a mini vacation in a cabin with some of his family may be just the get away we need before buckling down to save for the 2016 Disney Trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter