“Escape to Walt’s Wilderness” tour allows guests on Discovery Island

I don't see anything appealing about this tour. "Come look at the swampland that inspired Walt to build here!" I have read Married to the Mouse, and am currently reading Realityland and both have given me a pretty good idea about the early history of Disneyworld. It sounds like DI will be a part of the tour and the rest will be sailing around the lake on a pontoon boat while they repeat a bunch of the history that was told in these books.

Last edited:
I don't see anything appealing about this tour. "Come look at the swampland that inspired Walt to build here!" I have read Married to the Mouse, and am currently reading Realityland and both have given me a pretty good idea about the early history of Disneyworld. It sounds like DI will be a part of the tour and the rest will be sailing around the lake on a pontoon boat while they repeat a bunch of the history that was told in these books.
Well it also gives you a look at horses, which you can noramly see anyway, and an archery lesson, which you can book separately anyway. So there had better be some interesting information to cover 4 hours

So for more than a hundred dollars - per person - you get a chance to see what abandonment looks like up close?

What's next? For an extra hundred you'll get a tour of River Country?

You might have missed my post. It's not about the island today. It's more than likely about what Walt Disney saw waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back when he first decided to build in Florida. Discovery Island is what he saw and he decided to build. It's called history.

I am October as well. Tuesday I did not get a park ticket because I'm doing MNSSHP. A non park tour would use up that morning well.
If you'll be ther Oct 27 and the tour is available I'll see you there! I called the normal line today but they knew nothing about the tour. If I get a chance when the kids are in bed I will call DVC member services and ask for more info (hoping for a DVC discount)

You might have missed my post. It's not about the island today. It's more than likely about what Walt Disney saw waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back when he first decided to build in Florida. Discovery Island is what he saw and he decided to build. It's called history.

He saw the intersection of two major roads and decided to build.

If you'll be ther Oct 27 and the tour is available I'll see you there! I called the normal line today but they knew nothing about the tour. If I get a chance when the kids are in bed I will call DVC member services and ask for more info (hoping for a DVC discount)

Yep Oct 27 is my Tuesday.

He saw the intersection of two major roads and decided to build.
Pretty much. This idea that the lake and Island were the big draws is revisionist history at its best. The siting of WDW was based on an economic and demographic study. There are thousands of islands in hundreds of lakes in Florida that would have proved just as enticing. The idea that Walt laid eyes on Riles Island and was sold on all 43 square miles is romantic fiction.

My response wasn't geared to you specifically but rather the article itself. According to the article part of the tour takes you to the landing of Discovery Island, which one can presume it's referring to the mooring dock at the island itself. Even if the majority of the trip deals with some sort of orientation or presentation of the history of Discovery Island what's the purpose of seeing the decay up close? It makes no sense to travel anywhere near the island because there's no benefit in seeing what fifteen years of decomposition has accomplished.

I have fond memories of Discovery Island. DS (then 9) got to "drive" the boat over to the island. We explored and it was such a lovely break from the park. DS was/is ADHD and the break was needed. I still watch the video of our time there. There is one moment where a critter is just walking along the path with us. I consult my guide map and announce it is indeed a Patagonian Cavy. I understand that Animal kingdom filled in the need for an animal related attraction but I really liked the island.

It definitely "looks" like the only exploring of DI will be with binoculars.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...offered-at-disneys-fort-wilderness-resort.htm
I saw that blip as well. In fact it doesn't even really mention the island at all. Looks like someone in marketing wanted hype. In all it looks like a tour you pay for that shows you what types of things there are to do at the campground. Good for casula visitors who visit every few years, but not frequent visitors.

I'm confused on what this tour will offer that you don't get by taking a cruise around Bay Lake on one of the free boats and chatting with the captain? And then you stop to pet horses, which you can do for free.

Breakfast and a ride in a wagon seems to be the only things, but $109 it's a bit pricey (especially since I can't eat the breakfast). Think I'm going to pass for now.

Breakfast and a ride in a wagon seems to be the only things, but $109 it's a bit pricey (especially since I can't eat the breakfast). Think I'm going to pass for now.
They are also offering achery lessons at Fort Wilderness from the info that I hve read recently.

We just signed up to do the tour in August.
The price includes a pontoon boat around Bay Lake, a bonfire picnic breakfast, an archery lesson, a horse-drawn carriage ride, a chance to meet the horses and a chance to see the abandoned railroad tracks near Fort Wilderness. Sounds totally worth the price to me.

We just signed up to do the tour in August.
The price includes a pontoon boat around Bay Lake, a bonfire picnic breakfast, an archery lesson, a horse-drawn carriage ride, a chance to meet the horses and a chance to see the abandoned railroad tracks near Fort Wilderness. Sounds totally worth the price to me.

I've looked for those RR tracks! I'll take the tour just to see where they are!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!