°o° °o° °o° 9/11/09 DCL Announcement Discussion Thread °o° °o° °o°

I was told today by DCL that pricing will be given when you book.:confused3 Just hope that the ones that get to book early let the rest of us know the prices!

To all those Gold & Platinum Disers - can you let us know price ranges please after you have called DCL on the 21st - please. :flower3:

this was the highlight of our Alaska Inside Passage Cruise:
Visit by helicopter to the dogsled camp.

Thanks for sharing you photo - here's hoping we can get to do this someday. :cloud9:

I asked this earlier and haven't seen a response, so I assume nobody knows for sure, but I wouldn't mind if anyone hazarded a guess.

I'm assuming drydock somewhere. Vancouver/Victoria both have drydock facilities. Victoria had three cruise ships in drydock this past spring.

I was told today by DCL that pricing will be given when you book.:confused3 Just hope that the ones that get to book early let the rest of us know the prices!

I don't know about the rest of you but I will not even begin to schedule unless I have had a chance to see the cost and to work the numbers. I believe expecting folks to call to buy a product and not know the cost prior is just sneaky business practices. People are going to want to go so bad that they will take whatever is offered and get caught up in the moment.

I will consider the panama canal but not without know what I can expect for price before I call to book. Sorry DCL, I love you but I know my weakness.

I don't know about the rest of you but I will not even begin to schedule unless I have had a chance to see the cost and to work the numbers. I believe expecting folks to call to buy a product and not know the cost prior is just sneaky business practices. People are going to want to go so bad that they will take whatever is offered and get caught up in the moment.

I will consider the panama canal but not without know what I can expect for price before I call to book. Sorry DCL, I love you but I know my weakness.

I agree that it is frustrating not to have pricing now; I would love to know now what the pricing looks like, mainly becuase I am impatient and don't want to wait! However, its not as if we can't cancel if we regret booking. Also, if the price quoted is too high, we can say "no thanks!" Just because you make the phone call, doesn't mean you have to book.

Jodie

I agree that it is frustrating not to have pricing now; I would love to know now what the pricing looks like, mainly becuase I am impatient and don't want to wait! However, its not as if we can't cancel if we regret booking. Also, if the price quoted is too high, we can say "no thanks!" Just because you make the phone call, doesn't mean you have to book.

Jodie

You are right but I can be talked to stuff if I do not do my homework. Then if I cancle it is more work. I know DCL will have no issue filling the ship it just will not be with me unless the prices are posted at least a few days before the booking window opens for me on 9/21/09. This is a decision I make knowing myself. This is not to say that everyone should follow my lead. In fact I hope no one does as I am not sure where I am in life or where I am hoping to go in my future!!!

You are right but I can be talked to stuff if I do not do my homework. Then if I cancle it is more work. I know DCL will have no issue filling the ship it just will not be with me unless the prices are posted at least a few days before the booking window opens for me on 9/21/09. This is a decision I make knowing myself. This is not to say that everyone should follow my lead. In fact I hope no one does as I am not sure where I am in life or where I am hoping to go in my future!!!

Perhaps the thing to do is calculate a max price you're willing to pay, knowing what other cruise lines charge (knowing DCL will be higher). I'm sure there will be folks posting tons of prices on the 21st, so I bet you can find what you're looking for on the boards. As a last resort, I guess the pricing will show up online on the 28th for the rest of us, so at least you'll be able to see it at some point.

I really am surprised they haven't posted a range like they usually do - although that doesn't really help much since the pricing varies from week to week. I'm worried that the reason they aren't posting pricing now is because its HIGH - kinda like when you see ads for homes, that say, "Call for price." Never a good sign! :scared1:

J

Perhaps the thing to do is calculate a max price you're willing to pay, knowing what other cruise lines charge (knowing DCL will be higher). I'm sure there will be folks posting tons of prices on the 21st, so I bet you can find what you're looking for on the boards. As a last resort, I guess the pricing will show up online on the 28th for the rest of us, so at least you'll be able to see it at some point.

I really am surprised they haven't posted a range like they usually do - although that doesn't really help much since the pricing varies from week to week. I'm worried that the reason they aren't posting pricing now is because its HIGH - kinda like when you see ads for homes, that say, "Call for price." Never a good sign! :scared1:

J

Kinda like the saying "if you have to ask you can't afford it"? I am concerned about that for both Alaska and the Dream when they announce those cruises.

J

If it was something I was set on doing I might consider that but we have 14 days on the Magic (Back 2 back Eastern/Westen) booked for the fall of 2010 and I think I will stick with that rather than fight for the Panama Canal. I was part of the mess for booking on the first day for the 08 Panama cruise and have no desire to do it again. I never got through on the phone but was able to snag a room on line.

I suspect unless DCL plans to hire the whole state of Florida that wait time will be long and it is not a toll free number. At least I don't think it is toll free. Thank you for the ideas.

I still feel that they should post expected cost before booking opens. But one can't always have what they want can they! It won't keep me from cruising unless they stop posting all the prices.

If it was something I was set on doing I might consider that but we have 14 days on the Magic (Back 2 back Eastern/Westen) booked for the fall of 2010 and I think I will stick with that rather than fight for the Panama Canal. I was part of the mess for booking on the first day for the 08 Panama cruise and have no desire to do it again. I never got through on the phone but was able to snag a room on line.

I suspect unless DCL plans to hire the whole state of Florida that wait time will be long and it is not a toll free number. At least I don't think it is toll free. Thank you for the ideas.

I still feel that they should post expected cost before booking opens. But one can't always have what they want can they! It won't keep me from cruising unless they stop posting all the prices.

Yes, I suspect it will be nuts! I did the same booking the 07 Med trip. I was actually able to book early in the morning, but the system crashed, and I didn't realize it had accepted my reservation. I ended up trying to get through for the next few hours, and then ended up with 2 rooms booked - huh? Was a mess. I don't look forward to doing it again, but I'm gonna give it a shot on the 28th. I would LOVE to do the PC, but I can't take the kids out of school at that time, so it will be Alaska for us. I wish DCL would do back and forth PC cruises all summer long. Oh well - maybe some day!

Jodie

Here is what we do know on pricing:

DCL has said there will be new stateroom categories. That was in the release that was sent to the travel agencies. Some TA’s posted that information on various sites, some did not. What I have not read yet is if those statrooms will be across all ships or not. I'm assuming they will across all ships since the letter did not say the new ships, it simply said "new cats".

DCL has also said that starting rates for a Cat 11 (which may or may not be the old cat 11) will be just slightly under $1000.00 per person.

Some agencies are already announcing on board credits for gold bookings. I’m not sure what DU will be doing, they have not posted yet.

I am also speculating that once the gold members book, pricing will go up. By how much though?

I think it was wrong of DCL to not post prices. I have told the person who I will be booking with what I can afford. I have asked them to get me the best they can with that amount of money.

Heck, Even Wal-Mart puts out an ad for their day after Thanksgiving frenzy a week ahead of time online. I know DCL can do better than that.

Newbie here...I'm trying to decide whether I should try and book the PC repo cruise on 9/28 myself or have DU? Without knowing the pricing I think I'd like to see for myself so I can decide what category. Other opinions?

Newbie here...I'm trying to decide whether I should try and book the PC repo cruise on 9/28 myself or have DU? Without knowing the pricing I think I'd like to see for myself so I can decide what category. Other opinions?

You can book it yourself and then transfer your ressie to DU for their OBC. What I would recommend is to start playing around on DCL's website and familiarize yourself with the booking engine. Pretend to book a few different cruises to get the lay of the land and how pricing works in general for the different categories. Look at deck plans and stateroom layouts so that you get a general idea of where certain staterooms are located on the ship and what categories you are interested in. Some things to consider when choosing your stateroom location. Am I above or below noisy areas such as theaters, restaurants, kid's pools, etc? How far is the room from the nearest elevators and stairs? Once you have picked out a few possible rooms, you can read review of them (or ones close to them) here. http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomlist.cfm

The Platinum and Gold Castaway Cay Club members will be able to book on the 21st, so keep an eye out here because they will post their prices.

You can book it yourself and then transfer your ressie to DU for their OBC. What I would recommend is to start playing around on DCL's website and familiarize yourself with the booking engine. Pretend to book a few different cruises to get the lay of the land and how pricing works in general for the different categories. Look at deck plans and stateroom layouts so that you get a general idea of where certain staterooms are located on the ship and what categories you are interested in. Some things to consider when choosing your stateroom location. Am I above or below noisy areas such as theaters, restaurants, kid's pools, etc? How far is the room from the nearest elevators and stairs? Once you have picked out a few possible rooms, you can read review of them (or ones close to them) here. http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomlist.cfm

The Platinum and Gold Castaway Cay Club members will be able to book on the 21st, so keep an eye out here because they will post their prices.

That's great suggestion - but all the categories are changing and no one has been able to locate updated deck plans. Also, current deck plans don't seem to be viewable either unless you are booking I would guess.

Another thing to consider is that the On Board credit that is offered is more if the TA books it than if you book it and transfer it. Might want to check this out with DU before making your final decision.

The problem with not knowing the prices ahead of time is, when people call they are going to book because they got through and know they will have to wait hours to get through again. They know they can cancel if need be.

Then.... they are going to speak to their significant others and work the numbers and than decide they can't swing it or don't want to do DCL but at that poing the prices have gone up.

We all know that DCL is on a tier system like airlines. The cabin prices go up as a certain number of cabin's are booked in the category.

People who book on the 28th are really going to be screwed because there will already have been a whole week of this going on. DCL know this but obviously doesn't care or they would post prices ahead of time. :sad2:

No one seems to know the answer to this question yet. I've not seen on here or on the DCL website.

Just speculating:

Maybe they'll do it at an opening for their new Doorway to Dreams store for DVC out there in Long Island & do a tie in out there.

I may very well be wrong and if I am, I'll be the first to admit. I'm harder on myself then anyone else can ever be. I just don't see Disney raising tier pricing on bookings between the 21st and the 28th. That would alienate a lot of people. Now, what they actually do remains to be seen.

Also, as I said earlier, with all the different cruises, sail date and new ship offered at the PC time, I don't think anyone will have trouble at all booking on this cruise if they want to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter