WONDERous adventures on the Panama Canal - 4/23/17

Welcome!!

I like....... Trivia, the adult shows, tastings, movies in the afternoon, long dinners with new friends, ship tours, photos with rare characters...

I love to eat local when at the port, I want to try their cuisine.

side note, me and the wifey booked this cruise. w00t
:welcome:
Have not posted in years but my husband and I are celebrating our 45 wedding anniversary next spring with 5 nights in WDW and then this cruise through the PC. It is our first ever cruise but our 20th trip to WDW. We can not wait!
:welcome:
I love that this thread is so active and we have 9 months or so to go:faint:

Welcome aboard @jubjubrsx! :banana:Was this your first Alaska cruise? What did you like?

Welcome back to the Dis & into the group, @bigdisgrandma! :goodvibes Congrats on 45 years, too! What a great way to celebrate it, too! :lovestruc

I love that this thread is so active and we have 9 months or so to go:faint:

Definitely fantastic! I always look forward to pulling up the thread and reading the new posts. It feels like it's been longer than 3 months since we booked, but it's going to get busy early next year so I'm enjoying the anticipation now. I'm working my way through the McCullough book (about 1/3 through) and probably will finish up just before the cruise. The Amazon Kindle library has 2 free older books, 'The Panama Canal - A History and Description of the Enterprise' and 'The Panama Canal and its Makers' published in the early part of the 20th century but I don't think there will be time for these after the other book. I always think I'm going to do more reading (and knitting) than I ever actually get to on a cruise, too. :confused3 Does anyone else manage to make any reading progress on a cruise vacation?

My problem is I can speed read so I can go through a lot of books in a day if I wanted. Now the PC book took me a couple days cause it was so boring and I wasn't really into it, but I finished. I will usually read a book or two before breakfast and at least another one before bed to wind down on a cruise. Good thing for free books for Amazon Kindles or I would be broke:laughing:

Welcome!!

I like....... Trivia, the adult shows, tastings, movies in the afternoon, long dinners with new friends, ship tours, photos with rare characters...

I love to eat local when at the port, I want to try their cuisine.
^^ we were never brave enough to try the local cuisine, in the past, but the last cruise we did. I'm actually glad we did at this point, it really gave us alot more time to explore. not to mention while we were out met one of the nicest people on the cruise and her family. All of the tables were full, and saw they were from our ship and invited them to join us, got talking and such.

anyone be interested in doing that 5k mentioned like on the first page? I'm a runner so regardless probably see me out running everyday, hard to miss me with the calf sleeves.

Welcome aboard @jubjubrsx! :banana:Was this your first Alaska cruise? What did you like?

yes this was my first alaska cruise, while I'm not a cold weather person, but I have to say I was completely blown away. The glacier was absolutely stunning, I think everyone should go and see alaska atleast once, heck just for the salmon/crab is almost worth it alone..haha!

Dislikes:
COLD!
Jeaneau - wouldnt say I disliked it just my least favorite port.
glad I didnt get a port/veranda on this cruise since its always light outside for the most part it really messed with my sleep schedules.

The glacier
Bald eagles everywhere
Nature at its purest.
very unique people in the towns
ALOT of mom & pop shops (not a fan of corp giant stores)
Skagway & Ketchikan

the only regrets I have is that I didnt bring binoculars and my DSLR camera. if you are interested hit me up in a pm or how ever they do it on these forums and I'll send you a link to my photo album

Last edited:
Port excursion advice??
We were thinking of the following excursions and would love some input if any of you have done these...
Cozumel: Clear Kayak & Beach Snorkel Combo OR Xplor Park (zip lines, cave rafting, amphibious cars)
Cartagena: Los Americas Pool & Beach getaway
PV: Las Caletas Hideaway
Cabo: Lands End Coastal Cruise & Beach Break

Thank you !

My problem is I can speed read so I can go through a lot of books in a day if I wanted. Now the PC book took me a couple days cause it was so boring and I wasn't really into it, but I finished. I will usually read a book or two before breakfast and at least another one before bed to wind down on a cruise. Good thing for free books for Amazon Kindles or I would be broke:laughing:

As I read this, two words come to mind... Trivia Guru. Should the rest of us be wary if we see you at one of those activities?? :rolleyes:

anyone be interested in doing that 5k mentioned like on the first page? I'm a runner so regardless probably see me out running everyday, hard to miss me with the calf sleeves.

Doesn't look like there is a volunteer yet from any of the group's social sites to organize the 5K. I'll bet plans will ramp up for most group activities after the PIF date when there's no turning back financially. :rotfl:

yes this was my first alaska cruise, while I'm not a cold weather person, but I have to say I was completely blown away. The glacier was absolutely stunning, I think everyone should go and see alaska atleast once, heck just for the salmon/crab is almost worth it alone..haha!

Agreed. I wasn't very enthusiastic about our Alaska cruise before going but quickly changed my mind after getting there and seeing all those breathtaking views. :lovestruc

Port excursion advice??

We haven't done any of those excursions but they all look like a great way to get out of the port and see other areas of the region. The hideaway excursion seems to get good reviews on the DIS. :thumbsup2

@runskyhy, you will be happy to know that I suck at DCL trivia! I go thinking I know my Disney movies and such and then they ask the questions. If anyone needs a trivia partner that sucks at trivia let me know, I will be there for you!

As I read this, two words come to mind... Trivia Guru. Should the rest of us be wary if we see you at one of those activities?? :rolleyes:

Doesn't look like there is a volunteer yet from any of the group's social sites to organize the 5K. I'll bet plans will ramp up for most group activities after the PIF date when there's no turning back financially. :rotfl:

Agreed. I wasn't very enthusiastic about our Alaska cruise before going but quickly changed my mind after getting there and seeing all those breathtaking views. :lovestruc

We haven't done any of those excursions but they all look like a great way to get out of the port and see other areas of the region. The hideaway excursion seems to get good reviews on the DIS. :thumbsup2
Thank you!

w00t this should be fun just signed up for the Dark Side challenge, so a fun disney race before the panama canal trip FTW!

w00t this should be fun just signed up for the Dark Side challenge, so a fun disney race before the panama canal trip FTW!
:thumbsup2 Not my thing but happy for you, plus that whole getting up at o' dark thirty to race on sail away day! Don't they give you a medal for competing though?

:thumbsup2 Not my thing but happy for you, plus that whole getting up at o' dark thirty to race on sail away day! Don't they give you a medal for competing though?

since I'm doing the darkside challenge should get 3 medals. 10k/half/challenge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter