• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wine and Dine 2015

I just sat down after a few weeks to get caught up reading the thread and found I have 50+ pages to reads, so I am just going to ask questions and hope I don't repeat anything. First, DD, DH and I are running 5k, DD & DSIL are running 1/2. Our Grandchildren, 5,3,1 will be with us, we have finish line tickets, I assume the 5 &3 yr old need them? They really like watching their parents run and cheering on all the runners. Our DGD was a hit at the PHM last year passing out high 5's to everyone. Second, what rides/attractions will be open during the party?

Also the whole group will be at MVMCP on the 8th.

I have been taking the cliff spots with me and eating 1 every mile and half, it helps keep the mouth moist. I drink plenty of water throughout the day, maybe that is why, I am more worried about heat stroke during the longer runs without water than I am about feeling thirsty. What do you guys usually use to carry water?

In the heat, I only carry water or Gatorade for runs 10 miles or longer. I use a Camelbak. In the cold that jumps up to about 15 miles. I don't need to drink, even in the heat, unless I am out for at least 90 minutes.

I am pretty much the same. I hate wearing running belts (but have a flipbelt for when it is dire) and usually just buy shorts or pants with a couple of pockets for my phone and a gel. Sometimes I will just throw the gel in my waistband or bra even, I hate it that much! So, needless to say I do not carry water or anything else. On shorter runs I am fine without water. On medium runs when it is hot I will stop by the local park on my way and find either a drinking fountain or even just cup some from the sink (wash you hands first!!). For really long runs in the heat, I will make a circle and leave a powerade on my stoop. It also helps to break up the run a bit. When I hit that mid point and know all I have to do is get home, it makes it easier to swallow than thinking I am only halfway there!

I just sat down after a few weeks to get caught up reading the thread and found I have 50+ pages to reads, so I am just going to ask questions and hope I don't repeat anything. First, DD, DH and I are running 5k, DD & DSIL are running 1/2. Our Grandchildren, 5,3,1 will be with us, we have finish line tickets, I assume the 5 &3 yr old need them? They really like watching their parents run and cheering on all the runners. Our DGD was a hit at the PHM last year passing out high 5's to everyone. Second, what rides/attractions will be open during the party?

Also the whole group will be at MVMCP on the 8th.

I believe it is the same as regular park tickets, which I think is free for those 3 and under? Go to the rundisney website and scroll down to the finish line party. It will tell you there for sure.

FL runner: I'm going through an insane amount of fluids this time of year - losing upwards of 8-10lbs to sweat on long runs! I tried the whole belt thing a while back, but it just did not work for me. I use an Amphipod handheld and refill it at water fountains along my routes. The great thing about Nuun is that I can wrap the tabs in cling wrap and stick them in the little pocket on my water bottle - just drop a tab in when I refill and I'm good for another few miles!

I wish there were water fountains outdoors anywhere here. :( That is why I have to plot routes that go past Dunkin Donuts or convenience stores... no outdoor fountains to get water for free!

I wish there were water fountains outdoors anywhere here. :( That is why I have to plot routes that go past Dunkin Donuts or convenience stores... no outdoor fountains to get water for free!
Same here, which is why I carry a CamelBak (no stores near my running route, either).

During my warm-up I got chased by dogs last night. A pair of dogs got through a front storm door and came tearing at me growling and barking in an attack posture. I was on the public sidewalk just jogging along. It has really gotten under my skin. I had a really bad fight-or-flight reaction, with flight not really an option. My Adrenalin spiked and I couldn't sleep at all. I'm not sure it isn't the same pair of dogs that came at me two months ago.

The idea of needing to drive to a location, for running workouts, in order to avoid people with poor "boundary skills" has me in a twist. I should be able to use the public right-of-way, the sidewalk, in any legal fashion without the threat of terror.

I could report them to animal control. Believe me, depending upon what I request, their lives could become quite miserable. Unfortunately the lives of the dogs, primary, and the owners, secondarily. Getting a bureaucracy involved seems overkill. How do you communicate to "self absorbed" that it is not okay to threaten people on the sidewalk?

Last edited:
During my warm-up I got chased by dogs last night. A pair of dogs got through a front storm door and came tearing at me growling and barking in an attack posture. I was on the public sidewalk just jogging along. It has really gotten under my skin. I had a really bad fight-or-flight reaction, with flight not really an option. My Adrenalin spiked and I couldn't sleep at all. I'm not sure it isn't the same pair of dogs that came at me two months ago.

The idea of needing to drive to a location, for running workouts, in order to avoid people with poor "boundary skills" has me in a twist. I should be able to use the public right-of-way, the sidewalk, in any legal fashion without the threat of terror.

I could report them to animal control. Believe me, depending upon what I request, their lives could become quite miserable. Unfortunately the lives of the dogs, primary, and the owners, secondarily. Getting a bureaucracy involved seems overkill. How do you communicate to "self absorbed" that it is not okay to threaten people on the sidewalk?
For the safety of the dogs, you should report them - but only if you have tried to talk to the owners first (IMO). The dogs cannot help themselves and may get struck by a car if this is not corrected.

For the safety of the dogs, you should report them - but only if you have tried to talk to the owners first (IMO). The dogs cannot help themselves and may get struck by a car if this is not corrected.

If I report them it will be the dogs that get punished. It's the local system. Removal from "Stupid" is likely euthanasia. These dogs are likely to bite children on their way to school.

If I report them it will be the dogs that get punished. It's the local system. Removal from "Stupid" is likely euthanasia. These dogs are likely to bite children on their way to school.
Sounds like, with children in danger, even the dogs have to take a back seat. It is a hard thing to do - getting involved in something that is going to hurt someone or something. Only you can decide.

Man it's been months since I've been on here; I need some advice from my fellow runners.

I've been out of commission for the past month due to illness/injury (during which time my husband and I were supposed to be starting ramping up our distance); I've finally been able to start running again this week, but I'm worried we won't have built up enough distance quickly enough since we've lost a month of training time. So, my question is this: is it feasible for us to be able to build up distance/pacing in time without accelerating too quickly to the point that we incur injury?

Thanks guys!

Man it's been months since I've been on here; I need some advice from my fellow runners.

I've been out of commission for the past month due to illness/injury (during which time my husband and I were supposed to be starting ramping up our distance); I've finally been able to start running again this week, but I'm worried we won't have built up enough distance quickly enough since we've lost a month of training time. So, my question is this: is it feasible for us to be able to build up distance/pacing in time without accelerating too quickly to the point that we incur injury?

Thanks guys!

I was in a similar situation with TOT last year. My advice is to do as much as you can, but absolutely dont push yourself too soon. You can push through mileage on race day a lot easier than injury! If you can run 10 miles, you can run a half. I drug my leg for 10 miles because of an IT injury and let me tell you, not recommended!

We can probably give you a better idea if you share how far you had gotten before being sidelined. But, I ran my first half after only hitting 9 miles in training and I was fine. Adrenalin is a heck of a drug!

Thanks guys!
Easily possible as long as you forget your time goals and are satisfied with finishing. If you push for endurance and speed with this little time left, you will likely end up injured. Be smart - finish.

i agree, I was only able to get up to a 10 mile training run before my last half marathon and it was fine. I think you're better off cutting some of the weeks from the end of the plan and just getting to 10 miles instead of trying to play catch up in the middle and risking injury now.

FL runner: I'm going through an insane amount of fluids this time of year - losing upwards of 8-10lbs to sweat on long runs! I tried the whole belt thing a while back, but it just did not work for me. I use an Amphipod handheld and refill it at water fountains along my routes. The great thing about Nuun is that I can wrap the tabs in cling wrap and stick them in the little pocket on my water bottle - just drop a tab in when I refill and I'm good for another few miles!

Holy crap! That's a lot of fluid loss! I wonder how much I lose through sweat? Never weighed myself before and after a run because I hydrate on course. Unlike most of you guys it seems even though I average about 80oz of water a day (excluding run hydration) when I go on a run I still need about an oz a mile. That's averaged out of course. I don't start drinking usually right in the beginning, but if you tally up what I drank total, it's at least an oz a mile. THEN I have a protein/electrolyte drink in the car that's about 18/20ozs, and still have a bottle of plain water. I usually pull back into the garage with both of those empty or close to. Eventually, I start peeing off the excess, but only takes about 2 trips to the loo and then that stops. How any of you are able to run 6 miles and under without hydrating on course is amazing to me because my body is apparently quite thirsty....

My rail trail has one around mile 2, and then depending on the fork you take, one about 3 miles from the first one (stopping in a bike shop where I think DH said they have a water cooler). There is a gas station and bagel shop just around the water fountain- but I don't need to refill that early, and on the way back, the fountain is so close to the other two that I just run to the fountain. But if you take the other fork- the longer one, I don't think there's a lot close to the trail to hydrate. I think it's because in MA, in the winter, fountain pipes are prob likely to freeze and burst, but I could be wrong.

Wow, if you have dogs that are strong enough (and who have that strong of a prey drive) to go through a screen storm door- then you're really a bad owner to not do something about it. My dog is a Rottweiler. She's 15ish months old, already 100 pounds give or take, and strong as heck. But she's a baby in personality and very lovey. She wouldn't honestly hurt a fly. Still, I took no chances. I have a chain link fence around our part of our back yard to make a pen for her. It's tall enough that even if she takes a running start from the other side of the pen she can not jump it. And we have no screen doors that don't lead into the fenced area. The raised deck has one- but we don't leave that open if she's in the house loose. It does not lead into her pen- it leads out into the woods. She may be gentle, but she has a strong chase instinct (her fave target is things on two wheels. Joggers not so much) and I've known that about her since she was literally 8 weeks old.

While I would hate that the dogs be put down for doing what dogs do; those owners clearly do not care enough to protect their dogs from that possibility. We live on a country road. I took NO chances that my dog could get loose because while our back property backs to the woods, the front of the house is about 60 feet from said two lane country road. Posted speed limit 45. And you know no one does the speed limit on back country roads.

So yeah, I cared enough about my dog to spend the money on 8 gauge 8 foot tall black coated chain link fence. It is tension banded along the bottom and between fence posts so that it can not be pushed out of place to allow a dog to dig, jump, squeeze, etc underneath it. I had it installed to the tune of nearly 2400 bucks. But that is called responsibility; I took no chances that she could get out and get lost, hit, or god forbid attack someone because lovers or not- Rotties have a very strong prey drive and protection drive. I would feel horrible if she got out and got hit or bit someone.

If you fear confrontation or retaliation, maybe type up a note and leave it in their mailbox. Let them know that you fear that the dogs will continue to get out and attack innocent passerby- maybe even children- or worse; be hit by a car. Even worse? Someone whose fight or flight response runs more towards flight; they run into the street to avoid the dogs and THEY get hit by a car. If nothing changes after that? Do what you gotta do my dear.

Last edited:
My DD25 is killing it in the training, averaging an 11:00mm now. I think there is no way we will be able to run the half together. She is disappointed - she wanted to do character pictures together. But I am still having the extender tendonitis pain in my right foot and don't want to push it. I am able to just walk a 15:00mm so I am pretty sure I will be able to finish. I wish I wasn't so injury prone! :crutches:

Got a 1:46 PR (PoT was 1:18:49, last night was 1:17:03) in some tough conditions last night at my 10K. It was 100% humidity and fog (it was along the ocean), and I think I shorted out my Jaybirds bluetooth/wireless earbuds from sweat! I am pretty bummed about that, I had an awesome playlist to take me to the finish line and then I had to run the last 2.2 miles just listening to myself sucking wind in the dense fog. :)

I stopped like 3 times in mile 3 trying to fix them... my right ear got sweaty inside and they kept sliding out because there was no grip, so I took the right one out to dry off my ear and then the rubber tip and flange both popped off. I tried to fix them each time I stopped but everything was so wet and slippery that every time I got close to reassembling something slid off and they fell apart again. I gave up, and wrapped the loose end under my sports bra strap (which is actually how I ran all of Tink so that I could still hear music in one ear but the atmosphere in the other). But then at mile 4 they went crackle crackle... silence! :( I couldn't get them to turn back on... but now I just left them charging while I ate breakfast and they powered on? I know this probably sounds dumb but this is one of my most important running accessories. :D I hate running with a flappy cord on wired headphones, so I splurged last year on these. Although they have a lifetime warranty against sweat, so I should be able to exchange them, but that means parting with them for some period of time!

My legs feel pretty good from having run 6.2 last night and 6.5 last Saturday! I was surprised how strong I felt most of the race. The last mile was really tough, though. I was kinda slogging on that one. If I hadn't fiddled with my headphones so much, I would totally have had an unofficial 5K PR, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter