Wine and Dine 2015

Thanks for posting the medals! It will look cool next to my C2C!
Finished 11 miles yesterday for my last long run before DL 1/2. Plan to take a week to recover afterward with just some walking, then I have to decide how I'll build back up. At this point it looks like I may jump into Galloway's plan for 3 runs a week and do aquacise twice a week.

Can anyone describe what is in the background on the 1/2 medal?
Looks to be the same image of Mickey running with a raised plate of food as was on the 2013 medal. On top appears to be two bunches of grapes.
I thought the same thing. This is my medal from 2013:
-lCZ5JqPAXSpP9KtaO6LH5UOlcLU98LQJVHBVT8tuernKcGyyd1XEMx6VQtUJ1Gt8ivnRelHub-9aADNFA_uo5tHvL7u9WCuA-xqEfm3wZ6xkW1IDbJNW6X2dTC7m3_Gm2bRrhpoNzR0hfnKrVQfvTZc9f485pk8WIFb2HPOoD6EGABalt1HMy-DentZ8v7ZRJCCjthM9i_oUhnVv707KxH9afC8m3JcI6VZ1qC0Si0MXR-PA2Mh9V5wv73dX6ZdaN_a587pKivmW_A25E7-_fYY5kNviDhrgg7SO4vk5zifXAC9DluS7p-F0RjgMWAKmT8-4xCMDxDZzUNe8jbb2LxYrLqpSASDT_D5XSEI6zIg3cVxT_7vaXdSBwLxXPacXFTY5yP5Rt0sZ480euvngN4J6Y3WsYxQIBjwCzy9uCszTLJm7QV0eZJtn60Q8q2yUP06GUX3Amb-XT9rydoBOoV1vBopwJb2F0OyfMSTIEaQPjqvESUCB4_4lRqvAVQOPsg1Ag=w1433-h955-no

Last edited:

I got up Saturday morning to pouring rain and thunder/lightning so decided to put off my run until Sunday am. I wanted to run outside, since running on the treadmill seemed to make my foot hurt worse. I have been battling extender tendonitis the past week and a half. I skipped last Saturday's run and modified this week's to 4 miles. Got up Sunday to clouds, humidity, but no rain. Since I really wanted to try to take it easy on my foot, I used the same interval my DD25 has been using, 1:30 walk, :30 run, thinking I was going to log terrible times. Well, to my surprise I actually did 14:30, 14:40, 14:47 and 15:14! The last mile my DH let the dogs out and they all came running down the road to find me so I had to stop and pick up my Chihuahua to get him out of the road and take him back home. So not bad times at all! And it was so much easier for me! I hauled a$$ (for me lol), on the :30 runs, knowing I could walk for 1:30 after each run. My previous 5 mile run I did :30/:30 and averaged 15:00mm's so I think I will stick with this interval and see how it goes on a longer run.

On the foot pain, it hurt the first mile (considered stopping), but mile 2 & 3 didn't hurt at all. On mile 4 it just felt sore. It is more just an annoying soreness on the top of my foot today. Weird. :confused3

And on another topic, I have lost 6 lbs in the last month. I am up a little bit this morning, but I'm pretty sure it is due to the giant bowl of buttered/salted popcorn I stress ate while watching my SF Giants lose another game last night. popcorn:: I really want to lose another 5 lbs by W&D but probably not going to happen, since I have a WDW trip in just over 3 weeks! :)

Well, I thought this would be a tricky weekend to get in my long run because we had a wedding to go to Saturday and were staying overnight about an hour from home. So, my usual get up in the morning and go for a long run on Sunday was not going to happen. I also only managed one mid-week run this past week due to illness and the rehearsal dinner. Luckily, the weather turned out to be not too hot and humid, so I was able to get in my 11 miles Sunday evening. I knew I'd need extra water because it was still in the low 80s, so I stashed a water bottle in a cooler in the car and planned my run around stopping back halfway. I have to say, it's really mentally challenging for me to stop back at the car after 5.5 miles and not just get in and drive home. I also changed up my intervals from 3:00/1:00 to 2:00/:30. There were a few times (mostly uphill sections) where I felt like the :30 wasn't enough recovery time (still panting a little when it was time to run again) but overall it was doable. I felt pretty good most of the run, but the last mile was pretty brutal and I'm a bit sore today. Had to make dinner when I got home, so I didn't even bother to sit down. I knew if I sat down for even a minute I wouldn't want to get back up again.

And, the whole time I was running I was thinking "I'm not sure the speed training is really helping at all" because my splits didn't seem to be remarkable, but when I looked back at my last few long runs there is definitely a downward trend with yesterday's run the fastest of this training cycle!

Sadly, I have a high hamstring injury. I could barely walk after one of my runs 3 weeks ago, and I have not been able to run since. Still sore. Yesterday the doctor said I should not try running for 6-12 weeks. So . . . I'm thinking of fast-walking this event so I can still take part. Disappointing, but I still want to make the most of it. Does anyone have an idea what I can expect if I try to walk this event?

Sadly, I have a high hamstring injury. I could barely walk after one of my runs 3 weeks ago, and I have not been able to run since. Still sore. Yesterday the doctor said I should not try running for 6-12 weeks. So . . . I'm thinking of fast-walking this event so I can still take part. Disappointing, but I still want to make the most of it. Does anyone have an idea what I can expect if I try to walk this event?

Don't expect to be alone. Even last year in the rain, there were many many many walkers.

Just be mindful of your pace.

Sorry to hear. Get setup with a physical therapist ASAP. Core strength, and stability are key. Not the crunches type of core strength, but something that includes planks and single leg windmill touch, side bridges. Deep tissue massage is beneficial. NSAID's might not be beneficial. When you get back to running keep your stride short; speed work is out for a while. No speed, "kicking it in", at the end of long runs.

My thought is that "fast walking" if it involves long strides, might result in other injuries. Your normal walking stride with some gentle running might be a better approach.

Read as much as you can so that you can get the most from your physical therapy.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/photos/best-ways-treat-hamstring-injuries_97314
http://www.3dhealthsolutions.ca/Por... the Treatment of Acute Hamstring Strains.pdf

I'll add in icing. Freeze dixie cups of ice for post-exercise-massage. You can peel back and expose some ice and use the paper an as insulator for your hand hold. No more than 15-20 minutes at a time.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in here, but my DF wants to see her DH finish the race but doesn't want to do the post-race party. Is that possible? I told her she can see him at the BC without getting a ticket. Then getting back to her hotel might be a problem. Unless she takes one of the buses that is bringing runners back to BC; takes it to the finish line; and then meets her husband there?

DH and I survived the 8 mile run. Furthest we've ever gone. I think we averaged around 12 minutes per mile. We also tried out clif shots and nunn. Liked the clif shots, but hated the nunn. It tasted like airborne. Never again! Bought some gu packets which we will try in a few weeks. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in here, but my DF wants to see her DH finish the race but doesn't want to do the post-race party. Is that possible? I told her she can see him at the BC without getting a ticket. Then getting back to her hotel might be a problem. Unless she takes one of the buses that is bringing runners back to BC; takes it to the finish line; and then meets her husband there?
Isn't the finish line outside the park, in the parking lot? No ticket needed for that.

As for the on course hydrating questions (catching up on all the pages I fell behind...), we usually grab a cup of the powerade (or whatever) and a cup of water, then mix them. I can't stand the strong sticky sweet carb drinks either. As for fueling, I like the blocks, or gummies, better than goo.

I can't believe we are less then 75 days away (not sure the exact number but I know it's low 70s)! I finally got 3 consistent runs in this week (well half of last week and half of this week). Need to do a long run tomorrow. I'm working on dining reservations now. Only a few months late! I'm actually tempted to not make any since I'm not sure what our schedule will be like since it's a night race. And it's just the two of us so it's easier to decide the day of. I'm thinking Sanaa since its been our list forever. And I'm thinking of surprising DH with Illuminations Dessert Party, no idea if that's even possible still! Crossing fingers!

The finish line is in the Epcot parking lot.

The three spots I would recommend (as a runner) to see a runner on the course are 1) at the entrance to Hollywood Studios to before the route goes down to the water and gets narrow [its usually well lit, there is seating to wait, and the course is wide enough to not cause a back up], 2) along the planked boardwalk in front of Yacht Club [course is wider here that at the Beach Club and the seating tends to be more available], 3) Finish Line [personally, I don't like this option. I want to get my medal, my food and away from the amoeba of sweaty runners].

The three spots I would recommend (as a runner) to see a runner on the course are 1) at the entrance to Hollywood Studios to before the route goes down to the water and gets narrow [its usually well lit, there is seating to wait, and the course is wide enough to not cause a back up], 2) along the planked boardwalk in front of Yacht Club [course is wider here that at the Beach Club and the seating tends to be more available], 3) Finish Line [personally, I don't like this option. I want to get my medal, my food and away from the amoeba of sweaty runners].

Jeanigor, do you have a 2015 list of host hotels for the Wine & Dine 1/2? I saw your 2014 list...

The key to non-finish-line spectator sites is knowing which hotels have transportation. It is very unlikely that you would see a runner at Yacht Club and make it to the finish line to see their finish. Runner tracking can be helpful. This has become closer to real time for messages. It's not like it used to be, where you would get a message the day after the event telling you your runner has just crossed the finish line.

I'm not a big fan of finish lines for spectators at Disney. Just the size of the event makes it difficult to see your runner cross the finish line. Add in, necessary, barriers and perimeters guarded by work dogs. It becomes a less than ideal experience for non participants. If the start of the race wasn't past my bed time I would purchase after party tickets for family. At least they would have something fun to do while I'm out course.

Jeanigor, do you have a 2015 list of host hotels for the Wine & Dine 1/2? I saw your 2014 list...

The key to non-finish-line spectator sites is knowing which hotels have transportation. It is very unlikely that you would see a runner at Yacht Club and make it to the finish line to see their finish. Runner tracking can be helpful. This has become closer to real time for messages. It's not like it used to be, where you would get a message the day after the event telling you your runner has just crossed the finish line.

I'm not a big fan of finish lines for spectators at Disney. Just the size of the event makes it difficult to see your runner cross the finish line. Add in, necessary, barriers and perimeters guarded by work dogs. It becomes a less than ideal experience for non participants. If the start of the race wasn't past my bed time I would purchase after party tickets for family. At least they would have something fun to do while I'm out course.

I don't see any possible way to see your runner on course and at the finish line for the Wine & Dine. Being at WWoS for the start is quite impossible to see your runner in anything but a mass of people on the opposite side of the road. From that point until the bag check area near HS's entrance gates is technically off limits to spectators. And seeing them from either HS or anywhere along the boardwalk and making it to the finish line without a party ticket would mean you running with them and getting tossed from the course.

As for host hotels:
Value: All Star Sport, Movie, Music & Pop Century
Moderate: Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter
Deluxe & DVS: Polynesian, Yacht and Beach, Wilderness Lodge, Sarasota Springs, Boarkwalk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter