Where else can I cut cost?

My DD took a friend with her one time. We provided transportation there, because we were driving. The friend paid for her tickets, meals, and extras. That being said, you mentioned you have already told parents that you are paying for food. So I agree maybe have a garage sale (maybe the families would donate items to it), with three girls you can probably make some money, also sell water , Diet Coke and whatever else is popular in your area to drink at the garage sale. My DD has done this and made as much as $60 in one morning from drinks. But, we live in Texas and it is HOT! Love the idea of giftcards for snacks. We have always given my DD $20 for the week to spend on any snacks she wanted. I agree three teenage girls need a condo!! Have fun!!
I agree with Disneybuckeye. You are doing the right thing by planning ahead. I would make a list of places to eat frugally, like CiCis, Sweet Tomatoes, etc. Have the girls choose from that list. That way you aren't aimlessly trying to find something to eat where you almost inevitably will just pick something at random and blow the budget.

I also want to add that I am willing to bet these girls are going to come with money of their own. If it was my child, no matter what the parents told me they were paying for, I would send at least $200 along for an emergency or so that he could treat himself. So I wouldn't stress about it too much. If they were coming to your home, they would eat what you are serving. If they want more, they can buy it themselves.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I have run the prices and it is not any cheaper, even with an orbits code added and food will cost a lot more having to buy and not cook. And I agree, as do the girls, we need our space and bathroom space. DD and I have started swag bucks and hope to get enough for the girls' snack money for the week at $5/day/girl, that's $140. That's a CS and Via Napoli I can add in. Rummage sale and possibly donating plasma to increase the budget. Also plan to continue to watch for cheaper rental car codes. Gas is not a factor because I would be driving if I were home, as will some grocery money as 2 of us will not be eating at home. We have been so many times that my DD will need to save her allowance money for whatever she wants to buy there. Can't imagine what she could find to purchase. lol

Since you are staying off property, look for some restaurants nearby the room. That Way you can still eat out , but will be alot cheaper than the parks.

No one has mention Steak and Shake coupons that 4 meals for 19.99 that plenty of food for 3 teens and adult to share. I have 4 kids now plus 2 adults. That feed everyone and still have food left. No one is starving either. 4 double hamburgers with everything on them a salad, chili, fries and shake. The shakes is huge we split the one shake between two kids.

Where do you get steak and shake coupons?

OP are you going by July 11th? I have a groupon for 4 for characters in flight that we aren't going to use (we are going in December instead!) that I would love to pass along. It sounds like a fun trip and something I would love to do for my daughters when they are older.

Back to sharing a value with 3 teenagers. I'd do that over a condo for logistics - at that age the girls could easily split up from me, they could go to MK while I relax by the pool. They can stay out till midnight while I read a book.

On another note though, I find three girls tend to not work well. Two girls seem to band together against the third.

OP are you going by July 11th? I have a groupon for 4 for characters in flight that we aren't going to use (we are going in December instead!) that I would love to pass along. It sounds like a fun trip and something I would love to do for my daughters when they are older.
Unfortunately no, it will be a little later than that in July, but thanks for the offer. That would have been great!

Back to sharing a value with 3 teenagers. I'd do that over a condo for logistics - at that age the girls could easily split up from me, they could go to MK while I relax by the pool. They can stay out till midnight while I read a book.

On another note though, I find three girls tend to not work well. Two girls seem to band together against the third.
Supervising the teens is first and for most for me and I, nor the other moms are ready to just let them off on their own. We had a fourth invited, but she was not able to commit. These 3 spend a lot of time together now at volleyball. Just this last weekend, we were at a weekend touney and they bonded all weekend buy the pool without coupling up. I am fully aware of that issue though and would intervene if needed.

Supervising the teens is first and for most for me and I, nor the other moms are ready to just let them off on their own.

Supervision was a top priority for me too when I had teenagers, but I look at Disney as a great opportunity for them to have a fair amount of freedom in a safe environment. Three girls together with tons of security, employees and families nearby. They'll be driving soon and going to college shortly after that.

http://www.cicispizza.com/ is an endless pizza buffet cheap about $5 if you ask for water only and they have coupons sometimes. The one in our area was a hot teen spot. Im not fan

7437 International Dr
Orlando, FL
(407) 226-9822

8540 International Dr
Orlando, FL
(407) 363-5559

Drop the travel insurance and the park hoppers (we think they are a waste of money, especially now with Fastpass+). I would look for a cheaper condo. Buy Disney gift cards with a red card at Target and save 5% on food in the parks. Bring your own snacks and water into the parks. Keep looking for a cheaper car rental. I think you are still going to need to pack a few lunches to take with you in the parks though, even eating breakfast and dinner in the townhome. Selling plasma? I would reconsider a trip if I felt I had to do that but that's just me. A yard sale is a good idea to earn a few dollars and de-clutter the house.

Townhouses are a good idea, but you know now you have to pay for parking every time you go into the park, right? Honestly, I recommend doing this: go park at a resort in the morning, such as Contemporary or something. Tell them you have reservations at Chef Mickey's or something for breakfast, and they'll let you go park. They don't confirm your reservation or anything, so they don't know that you don't actually have a reservation there. Resorts don't let you park unless you're a guest or you have a reservation, but they don't know that you dont have one so its ok. Then just take the monorail to magic kingdom, or to transportation and ticket center and get on the epcot monorail. That way you're not paying for parking. Only pay for parking for when you do animal kingdom or hollywood studios or anywhere that the monorail doesn't go. Downtown
Townhouses are a good idea, but you know now you have to pay for parking every time you go into the park, right? Honestly, I recommend doing this: go park at a resort in the morning, such as Contemporary or something. Tell them you have reservations at Chef Mickey's or something for breakfast, and they'll let you go park. They don't confirm your reservation or anything, so they don't know that you don't actually have a reservation there. Resorts don't let you park unless you're a guest or you have a reservation, but they don't know that you dont have one so its ok. Then just take the monorail to magic kingdom, or to transportation and ticket center and get on the epcot monorail. That way you're not paying for parking. Only pay for parking for when you do animal kingdom or hollywood studios or anywhere that the monorail doesn't go. Downtown Disney's parking is free too. This saves parking money.

Order disney tix from either the target gift card thing as you said below or from Undercover Tourist. For breakfast, you can get a box of those frozen breakfast sandwiches. Maybe some fruit. Maybe some muffins. Some granola bars, or a few boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk. All are cheap. For dinner, do simple things: hotdogs, hamburgers, mac and cheese, sandwiches, grilled cheese, salad, maybe order a pizza one night. There's many grocery stores near disney property for easy convenience. also, re-usable water bottles and a couple boxes of cans of soda are easy and cheap.

Good luck and have fun :)

(trust me, I'm on a college student's budget, and this is my third trip on this small budget, and i've still always had fun. you'll find a way)[/QU

Parking at a hotel without a reservation or a dining ressie is actually illegal in disney terms. Most parking attendants will give you a 2 hour parking limit and you may be towed if you get caught.

I am taking my DD 15 and her 2 friends in July for a week. I am usually pretty budget savvy and am on a strict $3000 budget. Just looking for additional savings I may have overlooked. Friends are paying for Disney tickets and flights. Here's the budget so far:

I also think this is a tight budget for food. Do you have a Disney Visa? Even though I get better rewards for another card, I will sometimes use my Disney Visa for everything in the run-up to a trip because it just feels better once I get to the resort to essentially have some of the trip pre-paid with rewards. I've even been known to use it to buy Disney Dollars in advance, which not only gets me reward points, but makes it easier to distribute money each day for small purchases like soda or small snacks. They take the rewards card absolutely everywhere at the parks, so it's very easy to use. I once spent 8 days at WDW & paid a total of about $95 for food because I used rewards points & Disney Dollars for the rest of it.

I used to stay off-property & found it absolutely essential to identify a nearby supermarket. There used to be one near International Drive called Goody's or something like that -- pretty much frequented only by tourists & local employees of nearby businesses. That makes it a little pricey for a supermarket, but the portions are smaller & ideal for hotel fridges & microwaves. It's also MUCH less expensive to buy things like fruit, granola & candy bars at the markets than to get it in the parks. One trip oughta do ya - we used to swing by on the way in from the airport or on the 1st evening & stock up.

You also might consider picking up a Brita water bottle to save on bottled water purchases.

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!!!! (I'm so jealous! I've recently relocated to southern CA & DL is nothing like WDW. Still love it, but not the same.)

I also think this is a tight budget for food. Do you have a Disney Visa? Even though I get better rewards for another card, I will sometimes use my Disney Visa for everything in the run-up to a trip because it just feels better once I get to the resort to essentially have some of the trip pre-paid with rewards. I've even been known to use it to buy Disney Dollars in advance, which not only gets me reward points, but makes it easier to distribute money each day for small purchases like soda or small snacks. They take the rewards card absolutely everywhere at the parks, so it's very easy to use. I once spent 8 days at WDW & paid a total of about $95 for food because I used rewards points & Disney Dollars for the rest of it.

I used to stay off-property & found it absolutely essential to identify a nearby supermarket. There used to be one near International Drive called Goody's or something like that -- pretty much frequented only by tourists & local employees of nearby businesses. That makes it a little pricey for a supermarket, but the portions are smaller & ideal for hotel fridges & microwaves. It's also MUCH less expensive to buy things like fruit, granola & candy bars at the markets than to get it in the parks. One trip oughta do ya - we used to swing by on the way in from the airport or on the 1st evening & stock up.

You also might consider picking up a Brita water bottle to save on bottled water purchases.

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!!!! (I'm so jealous! I've recently relocated to southern CA & DL is nothing like WDW. Still love it, but not the same.)

Thanks for reminding me about the Disney Visa. We don't use it as much anymore because we put all our money on our Southwest card, bit I'm sure we have some rewards on there now.

Another suggestion. On the slight chance that you or your daughter may have a birthday in the next couple months? Or if you ever get a mother's day present from your own mom or relatives? Ask for Disney gift cards if they ask what you would want for your birthday/ mothers day etc.
Our last trip we asked family members the year before we went for Disney gift cards for birthdays christmas mothers and fathers day.... we had over $800 worth when we left!
We're going in dec. Of 2016... anniversary trip... just hubby and I... and we have already accumulated $300 from birthdays etc... from family members...
Not sure it would work since you only have a couple of months left... but it's worth a shot!
You have some wonderful ideas and I think you and the girls will have a wonderful fantastic terrific trip!

With all due respect, it appears that this trip is in celebration of the OP's daughter's birthday, and bringing her friends is a gift to her from her mom.

The friends' parents paid for the most expensive parts of the trip - tickets and airfare. .

If it was a birthday trip why would the other parents be paying for tickets and a plane, I can't imagine saying "hey you are invited to Disney with us but you have to buy your own tickets and pay for the plane :scared: .
Drop the travel insurance and look for a different car rental- that is high for a week.

If it was a birthday trip why would the other parents be paying for tickets and a plane, I can't imagine saying "hey you are invited to Disney with us but you have to buy your own tickets and pay for the plane :scared: .
Drop the travel insurance and look for a different car rental- that is high for a week.
I would have the kids (or their parents) pay for their own airfare because if they were to cancel, I would be out the money completely if I paid for it. Airlines issue the credit in the name of the person to whom the ticket was originally issued. I would probably consider reimbursing them after the trip was completed, but I'm not the OP. The agreement between her and the kids' parents was acceptable to the parties involved. I don't understand why it should even be an issue with people who have no skin in the game?

I am taking my DD 15 and her 2 friends in July for a week. I am usually pretty budget savvy and am on a strict $3000 budget. Just looking for additional savings I may have overlooked. Friends are paying for Disney tickets and flights. Here's the budget so far:

townhouse 988 (this is a done deal after much research, I know there are some cheaper, but this one works for us) - Is parking and cleaning of the condo included, and is there a resort fee per day, Some friends of mine got hit with a surprise when they arrived 20.00 a day parking at the condo, and then again when checking out a 50.00 a day resort fee.

car rental $250 (Dollar with a discount code, will keep attaching for price drops) - What about the cost of gas?
parking for 7 days $120
flight for me and DD (paid some with points on Southwest) $285
travel insurance $89
airport parking $35
Disney tickets $764 (will be slightly cheaper once I get the mousesavers newsletter)

that leaves us $469 for food for the week

I am hoping to give them each a $5 snack per day (it is July and I know I will want something cold to eat)=$140

We plan to eat all breakfasts and suppers at the townhouse so also looking for easy meal ideas

townhouse 988 (this is a done deal after much research, I know there are some cheaper, but this one works for us) - Is parking and cleaning of the condo included, and is there a resort fee per day, Some friends of mine got hit with a surprise when they arrived 20.00 a day parking at the condo, and then again when checking out a 50.00 a day resort fee.

car rental $250 (Dollar with a discount code, will keep attaching for price drops) - What about the cost of gas? at least a tank or two.

Have you thought about staying at a value such as POP its about 2400.00 for 4 adults for room and tickets ( non-park hopper), using Disney transportation to and from would be a huge savings. Breakfast in room, pop tarts, cereal, milk, juice, Fruit,- snacks - granola bars, chips, crackers, apples - Gardner Grocer will delivery to the resorts, don't forget to add in case of water, soda

764 - 2 tickets
=

VS
2400.00 or so for 4 for
room and tickets ( non-park hopper)

Once the other girls give you their share for their tickets which would be around 350.00 each if you go this route, that would increase your budget for food and such ( souvenirs) about 700.00, You could even maybe do a couple of sit downs and share meals, or a character meal.

If someone is hospitalized due to illness or injury, travel insurance will pay the hotel bills and change fees of those who have to stay to take care of her. If illness or injury prevents them from taking the trip at all, insurance will cover the cost. If someone at home get seriously ill and the trip gets cut short, travel insurance covers it. If luggage gets lost - travel insurance. In some cases, if work prevents you from taking the trip - travel insurance will cover it.

All things health insurance will not cover
I don't want to beat a dead horse but make sure you look closely at trip insurance. I have a uncle who booked a trip to Europe for him and his wife,she got sick she has MS and was too sick to go but the trip insurance wouldn't cover him because he wasn't sick. I know they offer trip insurance that refunds your trip if any of the traveling companions is hurt or sick but you need to make sure thats the one you have. Another option is to only insure the condo and fly southwest, you can change your flight for free and the money you pay is good for a year after purchase and disney tickets don't start to expire until you first use them in the park even the ones you buy on Orbitz are good for 4 months so if someone got hurt you could just move the trip forward a month or so and not be out any money.

car rental $250 (Dollar with a discount code, will keep attaching for price drops) - What about the cost of gas? at least a tank or two.

Have you thought about staying at a value such as POP its about 2400.00 for 4 adults for room and tickets ( non-park hopper), using Disney transportation to and from would be a huge savings. Breakfast in room, pop tarts, cereal, milk, juice, Fruit,- snacks - granola bars, chips, crackers, apples - Gardner Grocer will delivery to the resorts, don't forget to add in case of water, soda

764 - 2 tickets
=

VS
2400.00 or so for 4 for
room and tickets ( non-park hopper)

Once the other girls give you their share for their tickets which would be around 350.00 each if you go this route, that would increase your budget for food and such ( souvenirs) about 700.00, You could even maybe do a couple of sit downs and share meals, or a character meal.

I don't know where people are seeing parking fees at condos around Disney. I have researched many properties and found no resort fees or parking fees at places where you rent from the owner. Cleaning fees-yes, but that is common with any condo rental. And if your friend got hit with a surprise, I guess he/she didn't read the information given. If there was nothing in the contract about it, they wouldn't be able to be held responsible for the fees. In my experience resort fees are collected at the beginning of the stay. (At least that has been my experience.)

Last edited:
I believe she has travel insurance in case SHE has to cancel. Can you imagine buying your child a plane ticket to go on vacation with another family, only to have them cancel, and then being stuck with a worthless flight cost?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter