Where else can I cut cost?

I am taking my DD 15 and her 2 friends in July for a week. I am usually pretty budget savvy and am on a strict $3000 budget. Just looking for additional savings I may have overlooked. Friends are paying for Disney tickets and flights. Here's the budget so far:

townhouse 988 (this is a done deal after much research, I know there are some cheaper, but this one works for us)

car rental $250 (Dollar with a discount code, will keep attaching for price drops)
parking for 7 days $120
flight for me and DD (paid some with points on Southwest) $285
travel insurance $89
airport parking $35
Disney tickets $764 (will be slightly cheaper once I get the mousesavers newsletter)

that leaves us $469 for food for the week

I am hoping to give them each a $5 snack per day (it is July and I know I will want something cold to eat)=$140

We plan to eat all breakfasts and suppers at the townhouse so also looking for easy meal ideas

for 988 you could stay at a value resort on site and put the 250 and 120 into food budget

if you cant get out of the condo thing to stay in a value.

stop at publics or walmarts after arrival and plan on simple meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

bring from home soft sided cooler and ice packs if you have them, to pack lunches. crock pot for dinners (programmable if you have it)

you did forget gas for all the driving. And spending budget for your daughter to buy at least one special thing she wants.

I would dump trip insurance and park hoppers option.

Really 300-400 is nice budget for 4 people for a weeks worth of food.

Plus its a really sweet thing to do for your daughter. Good job mom.

if you cant get out of the condo thing to stay in a value.

stop at publics or walmarts after arrival and plan on simple meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

bring from home soft sided cooler and ice packs if you have them, to pack lunches. crock pot for dinners (programmable if you have it)

you did forget gas for all the driving. And spending budget for your daughter to buy at least one special thing she wants.

I would dump trip insurance and park hoppers option.

Really 300-400 is nice budget for 4 people for a weeks worth of food.

Plus its a really sweet thing to do for your daughter. Good job mom.
CS meals are on average $10 a meal, so CS meals alone will be $80. We average about $75-$100 a day for food/snacks/drinks for 2 people.

Would you want to stay in a value room for a week with 3 teenage girls? I know I wouldn't.

yes and it wouldn't harm me in anyway, because I go to Disney to be in the parks or at the pool, not the hotel room.

The only time I spend in the hotel room is to sleep and shower. Plus with three teens around the age of 16, more then likely they will want to go off and do their own thing for several hours, which if I so desire I could spend my alone time in a hotel room instead of outside in the nice fla weather...

yes and it wouldn't harm me in anyway, because I go to Disney to be in the parks or at the pool, not the hotel room.

The only time I spend in the hotel room is to sleep and shower. Plus with three teens around the age of 16, more then likely they will want to go off and do their own thing for several hours, which if I so desire I could spend my alone time in a hotel room instead of outside in the nice fla weather...

Think about that one activity! Yikes!

And what happens if you have a rainy day and the 4 of you are stuck together. If it was family, that's one thing. But my child's friends? No way, no how.

Downtime and privacy are just as important to me on vacation as park time. I NEED both. Sharing 300 sq ft and one bathroom with 3 teen girls is my personal version of Hell.

Think about that one activity! Yikes!

And what happens if you have a rainy day and the 4 of you are stuck together. If it was family, that's one thing. But my child's friends? No way, no how.

I love rainy days in the parks, best time because all the people afraid of water run back to hotel rooms, leaving an empty wet park to me. happy dance.

I'm the first one up and showering getting coffee, talking to other travelers, relaxing outside waiting for everyone else to get up.

Downtime and privacy are just as important to me on vacation as park time. I NEED both. Sharing 300 sq ft and one bathroom with 3 teen girls is my personal version of Hell.

i get it, i have no personal space issues. My downtime is normally spent outside watching people or talking to them.

Last trip we got a mod for DH, DD and I. The resort was nice, rooms little bigger, but total waste on me. Still didn't hang out in room.

for 988 you could stay at a value resort on site and put the 250 and 120 into food budget
Thanks for your suggestion, but I have run the prices and it is not any cheaper, even with an orbits code added and food will cost a lot more having to buy and not cook. And I agree, as do the girls, we need our space and bathroom space. DD and I have started swag bucks and hope to get enough for the girls' snack money for the week at $5/day/girl, that's $140. That's a CS and Via Napoli I can add in. Rummage sale and possibly donating plasma to increase the budget. Also plan to continue to watch for cheaper rental car codes. Gas is not a factor because I would be driving if I were home, as will some grocery money as 2 of us will not be eating at home. We have been so many times that my DD will need to save her allowance money for whatever she wants to buy there. Can't imagine what she could find to purchase. lol

Thanks for your suggestion, but I have run the prices and it is not any cheaper, even with an orbits code added and food will cost a lot more having to buy and not cook. And I agree, as do the girls, we need our space and bathroom space. DD and I have started swag bucks and hope to get enough for the girls' snack money for the week at $5/day/girl, that's $140. That's a CS and Via Napoli I can add in. Rummage sale and possibly donating plasma to increase the budget. Also plan to continue to watch for cheaper rental car codes. Gas is not a factor because I would be driving if I were home, as will some grocery money as 2 of us will not be eating at home. We have been so many times that my DD will need to save her allowance money for whatever she wants to buy there. Can't imagine what she could find to purchase. lol

I think your going to have a wonderful trip. Saving/selling is great idea. Don't count on plasma too much, one cut on your hand and you can be out for a week, one low protein reading and that's a week, get sick that's 2 weeks. I'm half way through a 100 donation promise to my Brother in law that just finished cancer treatments.

I think your going to have a wonderful trip. Saving/selling is great idea. Don't count on plasma too much, one cut on your hand and you can be out for a week, one low protein reading and that's a week, get sick that's 2 weeks. I'm half way through a 100 donation promise to my Brother in law that just finished cancer treatments.
I've been donating for 2 years and have only been deferred for low numbers twice but here you can just come back the next day. I've never been sick enough to not donate so not sure how that works here. Eat well OP and get the saline return. I have saved $3400 for our June trip by donating :)

If it were my family we would:

Arrive for rope drop

Tour until 12-1 PM
(By this time crowds will be reaching peak. Lines will be long and it'll be hotter than Hades)

Return to condo for lunch/swim/nap if needed

Head back to the park for the cooler evening hours. The later the park was open, the later we returned. Have a CS or BYO meal. We like to eat while waiting for Illuminations/Fantasmic/Main Street Electrical Parade

We prefer FP+ for the afternoon/evening. When I was there in late February FPs for most of the more popular attractions were gone by the afternoon. July is busy but the lowest crowds and shortest lines are usually in the first 2-3 hours after park opening. If the MK is open very late (like 1:00 AM) lines tend to dwindle as the night goes on and younger families head for bed.

We never tried to make rope drop after a very late night. Out trips were usually 9 days so we could have a sleep in/pool morning at least once.

This would also be my plan. Go to the park early, return to the condo (eat lunch, swim, rest), maybe eat dinner before returning to the parks. The parks will be really hot and crowded midday anyway.

Build a spreadsheet in excel with all meals listed for your stay. Include travel days, at the condo, in the parks, and at restaurants. This will help in building a shopping list of items needed for meals. It will also show everyone how much money you are actually spending on food.

I have found that writing down how many bagels, English muffins, bowls of oatmeal, pancakes, etc. will be needed for breakfast and all the condiments that go with it helps with planning meals. I do this for lunch and dinner as well. Then I build a shopping list in an excel spreadsheet.

I would plan to eat and cook meals as I would normally eat at home. Ask everyone what they eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as favorite home cooked meals. Bring what you can from home: oatmeal packets, coffee, prepackaged snacks, etc. Start now cutting coupons on items you will need in the condo for cooking and cleaning. Also start looking for deals on koolaid packets, iced tea, crystal light, microwave popcorn, etc. anything you can buy now for less. Bring into the parks as many meals or snacks that will save you money and time.

Look at local restaurants near where you are staying: Steak n Shake (half price shakes in the afternoon), Name brand Chains (loyalty clubs), Buffets, Food Courts, etc. compare prices with eating in the park, at the condo, or at a restaurant.

Have fun planning & saving!

What a fun trip. I am sure you will have a blast. Wish I could help with budgeting but it looks like you have most of it under control and thanks to this thread I signed up for swag bucks.

I am also taking 3 teens (and an 8 year old) in June, and we saved at least $100 per person by taking a YES class. I wish I had known about these classes on past trips. I think it is a win-win: getting to take a 3 hour class at DW, and getting a discount on each ticket. My 13 year old was fighting at first ("I don't want to go to school on vacation!"), but after reading reviews, she is now excited for it (plus I said this is the least she could do since we are bringing her friend). I also figured out the cost for food and park tickets and the friend is paying for her own (that was the agreement or I could not have afforded it). I also saved money by getting 2 hotel rooms on Hotwire....I scored the Baymont Celebration for $31/night! We stayed there last Christmas and we think it is nice.....plus, free hot breakfast buffet each morning (we are doing BOG at 8 a.m. Our 1st day at MK). So, we have 2 bathrooms to make getting ready easier in the a.m. We have a few adrs at fun restaurants at DW that we are going to order an appetizer and desserts at, so we can still have the experience.

We would stay one adult/three girls at ASSp for dance competitions and, even with pre-allocating the shower (some morning, some evening), mornings were a mess and something I'd never choose to do on my own. I was soooo jealous of the rest of my family lolling about in the camper back at Ft Wilderness!

One thing OP that may help with budget is to give each girl a gift card with a predetermined amount for snacks for the week. This will give you an exact amount to budget for snacks. If they know in advance how much they can spend then they won't have to feel shy about asking you for a snack and it is a good budgeting lesson for the girls as well. Just a thought.

If you were worried about them losing it. You could write their name on it in permanent marker and you hang on to them or get different designs for each girl. The girls could ask for their card when they wanted a snack.

I know my own children make wiser buying decisions when they are spending "their own" money.

This is a great idea! Maybe you and your daughter can do a yard sale and or save change or something extra, so the extra can go towards a higher GC??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter