What's the most *sentimental* movie you've seen?

Liberty Belle said:
That's how I felt after seeing Saving Private Ryan.

Life is Beautiful is definitely a tough one.

I couldn't watch Saving Private Ryan. The opening 10 minutes did me in. It was ... real. It happened. It was horrific and mind boggling in size, scope and loss. I have no idea what the movie was about because I had to stop watching. That's the only movie that's ever put me off because it was too sad. I'm sure it was a good movie, but no way can I watch it.

One I don't think I've seen mentioned yet is E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. When I first saw it in the theater, I sobbed while he was fading away.

Pea-n-Me said:
DD14 now wants to watch Life is Beautiful with me. They studied WWII in school this year, and the Holocaust. Guess I better prepare myself! :sad:

It's hard to explain this film. You will experience great joy and then great sorrow.. But somehow they overlap into an emotion I can't explain. Tissues handy, for sure. Dolly Parton said in Steel Magnolias that laughter through tears was her favorite emotion and I've always loved that line because it's true - it's a great emotion. It's one that I don't think there's a word for. That's what you'll experience with Life is Beautiful; a mixture of emotions you probably have never felt before. I think that's why it made me so introspective and unable to speak for the rest of the day. I was trying to figure out what I was feeling.

It's a great film and it's stayed with me forever. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was also very, very sad but it didn't sneak up on me like Life is Beautiful did.

It's a foreign film with subtitles, but so masterfully done that you cease to think about it after a few minutes. There's relatively little dialog, actually.

It's hard to explain this film. You will experience great joy and then great sorrow.. But somehow they overlap into an emotion I can't explain. Tissues handy, for sure. Dolly Parton said in Steel Magnolias that laughter through tears was her favorite emotion and I've always loved that line because it's true - it's a great emotion. It's one that I don't think there's a word for. That's what you'll experience with Life is Beautiful; a mixture of emotions you probably have never felt before. I think that's why it made me so introspective and unable to speak for the rest of the day. I was trying to figure out what I was feeling.

It's a great film and it's stayed with me forever. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was also very, very sad but it didn't sneak up on me like Life is Beautiful did.

It's a foreign film with subtitles, but so masterfully done that you cease to think about it after a few minutes. There's relatively little dialog, actually.
I know, I saw it! Just getting ready to experience it again! I didn't tell my DD the ending, just that it was emotional. She has a friend over now but I'm still hoping to watch it later tonight.

October Sky
Blind Side
Despicable Me

Ever since we adopted our two kids, any movie about the subject will bring me to tears. And I never cried during a movie before we adopted them.

October Sky is such a great story, the closest I came to crying in a movie before the kids.

I subscribed to this thread and then never read it so I am glad that I got back to it.

My vote for the most sentimental movie is Bed of Roses. I can't remember who all was in it. I just remember that Mary Stewart-Masterson portrayed a grown foundling and that it was a butterscotch-sweet story about her and a florist.

Hugo and Steel Magnolias. Maybe just plain sad rather than sentimental but I also tear up for certain Disney movies particularly Old Yeller and Big Red.

Beaches
Powder
Steel magnolias
What dreams may come (I cried so much it was awful)
Bridge to terabithia
Forrest Gump
The secret life of bees
Ghost
Gorillas in the mist

I am not a very emotional person and am often told that I have no soul, a heart of stone, etc., but for me there are four movies that fit this category: Hardball, I Am Sam, Stepmom, and Toy Story 3. All of them get me teary with each watch. Boy in the Striped Pajamas had me the entire movie, although I wouldn't call that sentimental so much as heavy, so I don't officially count it.

the original tv movie :"Griffin & Phoenix"
Jill clayburgh & Peter Falk,,, about cancer......
:sad1:
you can still find it places,,,,,

I've never heard of Griffin & Phoenix, off to Netflix!

October Sky
Blind Side
Despicable Me

Ever since we adopted our two kids, any movie about the subject will bring me to tears. And I never cried during a movie before we adopted them.

October Sky is such a great story, the closest I came to crying in a movie before the kids.

Oh boy, you would appreciate the movie Bella. I cry every time for that. I also loved October Sky, great movie.

I think it was called "Step Mom" with Julia Roberts, if I remember right.

It was probably 13 years ago when I saw it, at the theater with DD and her fiance. It was about a woman who was dying from cancer and wanted to find a new wife for her husband, and she wouldn't be there to see her DD get married, yada yada. I sat there with tears running down my face. :(

I generally don't get that bad at sentimental movies though. My eyes may tear up, but rarely do tears run down my face. :) But that movie sure did it for me. :(

Oh, I thought of another one, "Stella" with Bette Midler. Another mother/daughter movie so with having a daughter of my own, it really brought out my emotions especially at the end. :(

I subscribed to this thread and then never read it so I am glad that I got back to it.

My vote for the most sentimental movie is Bed of Roses. I can't remember who all was in it. I just remember that Mary Stewart-Masterson portrayed a grown foundling and that it was a butterscotch-sweet story about her and a florist.

Christian Slater was the florist. :) Another one of my favorite movies.

Showing my age...

1970 Love Story "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

It is a sentimental movie, but I've never understood why that line was so popular.....

Other than what's already been mentioned:

Dirty Dancing
Remember the Titans
Secondhand Lions

I agree with all of the above as I am a sap and cry at Disney commercials on the Tv lol

However the movie August Rush with Keri Russell and Robin Williams is amazing. My boyfriend introduced me to the movie and it is amazing. It is about hope and has a special place in my heart since he had a rocky relationship with his boys and now its better than it was.

Its a must see if you haven't seen it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter