What Are You Reading Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a Pretty Fat- by Jen Lancaster-- it is hilarious!! i also just read Bright Lights Big A** als by her - love them both!

I recently read Firefly Lane. I enjoyed it, and bawled like a baby at the end. I also recently reread Julie/Julia, and I have to say I liked the movie better. Julie's blog was interesting and the concept was neat, but she is rather self-indulgent and awfully self-absorbed, and a bit obnoxious. I'm a Democrat but found the political commentary totally unnecessary, and her commentary and lack of compassion about working in NYC with the families of 9/11 victims a bit unnerving.

I just started Beach Music by Pat Conroy on the recommendation of a friend, and I am NOT liking it. The story is interesting enough but the dialog, the DIALOG! Oy, who talks like that? It's so long winded and exposition out the ying-yang. I don't know if I'll be able to finish it.

On my to-be-read stack are 1491, Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver (I love her!), and A Really Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, which I am about 1/3 of the way through but needed a break from the science.

Anxiously awaiting the new Emily Giffin (spring 2010....crap). :guilty:

I bought a book the other day because it looked interesting. I didn't read enough of the description....particularly the part that says it's the final book in a series. It's sitting on my nightstand and I'm just waiting to get the chance to get to a bookstore, but I'm thinking I have a better chance of ordering it off Amazon and waiting for shipping.

Absolutely loved Fried Green Tomatoes. It was, as most books are to me, better than the movie. If you enjoyed it, I believe you will like most of Fannie's stuff. I have just started re-reading I Found My Heart In San Francisco by S.X. Meagher. It was an online series that she is now publishing as seperate books. I am just starting on book 2 beginnings.

Currently I'm reading Sunday's at Tiffanys by John Patterson. I want to read Dead and Gone, but won't buy it in Hardback. I'll be waiting for it to come out in paperback.

I'm on the last of Karen Kingsbury's Baxter family series - "Sunrise".. Finished "Sunrise" yesterday and I'm 3/4's of the way through "Summer".. Only 2 more books after that and then no more "Baxter" family.. (sob..choke..sniffle..) I can't even tell you how much I have loved this series!!

When I finish with that, I'll probably read another Amish fiction series and then a few stand-alone books..:goodvibes

I recently read: Moon Opera. I don't remember the authors name Bi something. He is a Chinese writer. It was beautifully written, very short (I think only 107 pages). I won't be surprised if it is made into a movie.

Right now I am reading: Fall On Your Knees. So far I like it.

Just finished James Herriott All Creatures Great and Small. I love this series, such a feel good about life set of books:goodvibes

I started reading Child 44 because it was mentioned a few pages back. So far, it's very interesting.

I'm on the last of Karen Kingsbury's Baxter family series - "Sunrise".. Finished "Sunrise" yesterday and I'm 3/4's of the way through "Summer".. Only 2 more books after that and then no more "Baxter" family.. (sob..choke..sniffle..) I can't even tell you how much I have loved this series!!

When I finish with that, I'll probably read another Amish fiction series and then a few stand-alone books..:goodvibes

I'd like to start her series. What is the first book in the Baxter Family Series?

Just started Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. Had read about it around here multiple times and hadn't been inspired to read it. But an acquaintance here recommended it and I found it in paperback at Sam's.

My last book was Skin Trade by Laurie K Hamilton. I liked it enough to go looking for the whole series. She is a little wordy-as in her main character tends to stray from the topic at hand and talk about it quite a bit. Then the ending seemed abrupt, but I am still looking forward to reading it, especially since I know that there are about 15 books and it will keep me occupied for a good long time!

Finishing up "The Parting" by Beverly Lewis.
It's book II of The Courtship of Nellie Fisher series.

Just finished a book called Push by Saphire. They have made a movie out of it called Precious. It was a very sobering look at a young girl in Harlem and her life, which was not pretty, but the book was great. It was written from her perspective as she learned to read and write. Next up, Intensity by Dean Koontz thanks to the suggestions on this board. I hope it doesn't give me nightmares, lol.

I just jumped to the last page, so hope I'm not repeating anyone.

I'm reading two things:

Re-reading Lord of the Rings and loving it. I love having hte characters from the movie and their voices in my head as I read this, which is unusual for me.

and I'm almost finished with Three cups of Tea - phenomenal story about a man (Greg Mortinsen) who is building schools for children in rural Pakistan and Afghanistan.

I'd like to start her series. What is the first book in the Baxter Family Series?

The first book is "Redemption" - there are 5 books in the Redemption series.. Then it moves on to the "First Born" series - 5 books in that series as well.. The final series - "Sunrise" is 4 books.. So it's 14 books in total surrounding the Baxter family..

Yesterday I said goodbye to the Baxter family.. :( Finished the very last book.. I enjoyed every single minute of reading those books..

Now I have to decide what to read next.. I have 18 books to choose from and I'm thinking I might switch back to Amish fiction for a few days.. I bought some books by Amish fiction writers that I haven't tried before, so maybe I'll choose one of them to start today and see if I like their writing style as much as I enjoy Beverly Lewis..:goodvibes

I just finished Public Secrets by Nora Roberts. I thought it was good.

Last night I read: "Convenient Groom" - A Nantucket Love Story - by Denise Hunter.. Another great Christian writer..:thumbsup2 I was going to start another Amish book, but decided to veer off in a different direction instead.. I'm glad I did!

It's a romance - but it's also very funny.. Actually found myself laughing out loud while I was reading it.. It's a fun, quick read..:goodvibes

I think today I'll start another Amish fiction series - either Beverly Lewis (I think the one I have is the last of her series that I haven't read - except for her newest series that isn't completed yet) - or maybe Cindy Woodsmall.. Haven't read her Amish fiction yet, but the series looks pretty interesting (3 books)..:goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter